Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Reiterpallasch posted:

spiders are fine but i recognize that guide layout, it's some incredibly prolific rear end in a top hat who posts unsound builds all the time and "updates" them for new patches by find-replacing 3.x with "3.x+1. some poor newbie goon this league tried to start as an awful lightning arrow deadeye or some poo poo from this jerk and nearly quit the game over it.

edit:
there is a 0% chance this guide has even been looked at by its author since like, Legion

Thanks for the heads up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Tenzarin posted:

How good could this even be?

I think it's specifically aimed at cutting the legs out from Diablo 2 nostalgia. Miss act boss farming as the endgame? You don't need D2R, you can do it in Path of Exile now

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Deki posted:

Either I, or someone I know must have been burned by one of his lovely builds before, because I knew exactly who you were talking about without clicking the link...

It's "Angry_Roleplayer" and I suspect everyone who has played PoE have been burned by his lovely builds at one point or another

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

is there going to be a hot build that mostly kills stuff automatically? I remember running a bunch of golems and skeletons back in the day and it was nice watching my friends work hard

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Spellslinger flamewall will probably still be top notch, divine ire elementalist is also probably going to be strong with just a bit of aegis shielding removed.

I'd love some inquisitor builds though.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

is there going to be a hot build that mostly kills stuff automatically? I remember running a bunch of golems and skeletons back in the day and it was nice watching my friends work hard

How automatic we talking for you, is pressing 1 button in the vague direction of enemies enough or is that too much?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Spellslinger flamewall will probably still be top notch,

I just read a guide for this but it sounded like the single target DPS was very capped and would peter out pretty fast.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Unsurprisingly there isn't any strong ascendency support for physical non ailment dots for blood spells. So here's my novice understanding: exsanguinate and reap dots will scale with physical damage, damage over time, and spell damage (because the gem says spell damage applies to dot). Critical hits don't increase the dot, only the hit. As such, the only ascendency options I can see are trickster with ghost shrouds, patient reaper and prolonged pain or elementalist with the shield and golem choices. Does shock increase all kinds of damage so I get some use out of the shock node for physical dots?

EDIT: Or Jugg for pure defenses but all the spell and dot nodes are in the shadow/witch area so I don't think that would be wise.

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 14, 2021

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Inquis BF/BB should still be top tier. A damage nerf won't really make a major impact to the build, it already did such overkill amounts of damage. Losing easy explode chest hurts more honestly, and I expect Asenath's to be extremely expensive.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Not sure how I feel about the Toxic Rain change, so...guess I'm gonna just start as bleed bow or something. End game bosses will be slower because of lovely bows now but it should be a cheaper build to run with Assailum being easier to get.

With toxic rain if you get worse overlap with more AOE, does this mean concentrated effect gives more overlap? Then it is just a gem swap for bossing and clear is better than before.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Thanks for the heads up.

If you want a Spiders Necro that was actually done in 3.13, Kay knows her poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtR3HstYRZU

Personally I feel it is better played as a Guardian though, especially since it is almost all uniques so you can slap it all together in the first week: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2554248

But in either case you want to pair Spiders with Herald of Purity. There's some weird interaction with them where they both refresh each other when there's no reason they should.

rawk cawk
Jun 19, 2002

Planimal is great.

Captainicus posted:

Unsurprisingly there isn't any strong ascendency support for physical non ailment dots for blood spells. So here's my novice understanding: exsanguinate and reap dots will scale with physical damage, damage over time, and spell damage (because the gem says spell damage applies to dot). Critical hits don't increase the dot, only the hit. As such, the only ascendency options I can see are trickster with ghost shrouds, patient reaper and prolonged pain or elementalist with the shield and golem choices. Does shock increase all kinds of damage so I get some use out of the shock node for physical dots?

EDIT: Or Jugg for pure defenses but all the spell and dot nodes are in the shadow/witch area so I don't think that would be wise.

Shiny brain: Ascendant with gladiator and uhh.. heiro for arcane surge? Raider for frenzy?

Trickster seems like a good answer, but I don't like the lack of regen for bossing since Patient Reaper is all on kill. And all the good regen nodes are on the left side. Maybe elementalist isn't bad...? The golem regen as well as the shield are pretty good. You would likely in the end go for 2 cluster setups and just ignore the right side of the tree since the best phys dot notables are on clusters.

I'm trying to shoe horn in a good choice here and uh, just not sure.

Edit: Or just go for my original (unoriginal and obvious) idea of ignore the DoT on Reap and just go inquisitor vulconus phys to fire conversion. Reap has something like 180% damage effectiveness which plays very well with battlemage and that dagger.

rawk cawk fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 14, 2021

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Zmej posted:

Or just get more life nodes on elementalist and some endurance charge generation.

My Arc Elementalist wasn't the best during Ritual, but I got a lot of use out of those endurance charges thanks to Doedre's Elixir. The idea of using that to prep yourself with charges into and through a fight might drive the flask-shy up a wall, but having all three charges at your beck and call is something else. I really want to figure out how to use this item far better in this upcoming league.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

If you want a Spiders Necro that was actually done in 3.13, Kay knows her poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtR3HstYRZU

Personally I feel it is better played as a Guardian though, especially since it is almost all uniques so you can slap it all together in the first week: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2554248

But in either case you want to pair Spiders with Herald of Purity. There's some weird interaction with them where they both refresh each other when there's no reason they should.

it's a good build, but the nerf from %es on block to flat this league seems likely to hurt all the CI max block type characters by a fair bit? i don't play a lot of them, so i couldn't tell you whether the nerf is crippling or not.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Captainicus posted:

Gladiator as an ascendancy works well with it too, but yeah, the problem is you're starting in completely the wrong area for passives. Golem Shock Elementalist is a good idea, shock will boost the phys dot and you pick up a ton of regen from stone golem to sustain the abilities.

I'm pretty tempted to try this now, too, even though something like BA Elementalist is way safer and smarter.

quote:

Shiny brain: Ascendant with gladiator and uhh.. heiro for arcane surge? Raider for frenzy?

The answer to 'what other half of ascendant do I grab' is almost always Pathfinder.

e: I think I wait to see what the high level version of Petrified Blood looks like and then make a decision. If it gets over 50% diverted to a DoT then that might be worthwhile considering Elementalist's regen.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Does Spell Cascade work with Fire Burst? PoB says no but I don't see why, it's an aoe spell and cascade works with triggers.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Spellslinger flamewall will probably still be top notch, divine ire elementalist is also probably going to be strong with just a bit of aegis shielding removed.

How automatic we talking for you, is pressing 1 button in the vague direction of enemies enough or is that too much?

I can press buttons but when I press em I wanna be killing stuff without too much clicking or sophisriscatio

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I dig the notes and changes because there's nothing touching my Skelly Mage plans. Vaal Summon Skeletons will continue to be an outrageous useful blue to have slotted anywhere for anyone.

May our wrists and fingers be strong for the opening weekend, amen.

rawk cawk
Jun 19, 2002

Planimal is great.

shimmy shimmy posted:

The answer to 'what other half of ascendant do I grab' is almost always Pathfinder.

:doh:

Pathing full ranger also gets you some nice regen nodes, flask nodes, and easy access to Crystal Skin wheel. You can even get squirrely and go down for Thick skin for 70% elemental ailment avoidance while still having enough points for 2 cluster setups.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Reiterpallasch posted:

it's a good build, but the nerf from %es on block to flat this league seems likely to hurt all the CI max block type characters by a fair bit? i don't play a lot of them, so i couldn't tell you whether the nerf is crippling or not.

I think that particular nerf was only in the 'leaked' notes, not the real ones.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
ah, well, that's a relief, thanks

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Aerox posted:

It's "Angry_Roleplayer" and I suspect everyone who has played PoE have been burned by his lovely builds at one point or another

oof yeah that guy really sucks

Every now and then he fucks up on "updating" his builds in a really obvious way and he gets mad when people call him out on it.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I'm leaning toward Flamewall Slinger as well, but I'm being tempted by my hipster-build-itis to do Glad/Heiro Ascendant Exsanguinate Totems. I even have the book totem mtx for that forbidden-knowledge-and-tentacles style.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I did flamewall slinger during ritual, was alright, at higher gear levels the boss damage comes in to acceptable levels but can feel slow without some investment.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I have a new riddle for everyone. If I wear Perquil's Toe "Lightning Damage from Enemies Hitting you is Lucky" along with Viridi's Veil "Damage of Enemies Hitting you is Unlucky while you have a Magic Ring Equipped" what happens? Antimatter explosion? Perquil is a straight 7%-ish More damage to everyone but me so if I can negate it (or at least downgrade it to neutral luck) that could be very much worth it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Aerox posted:

Angry roleplayer is an interesting person but a large number of his builds from from leagues long past that he updates but most likely doesn't test again.

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin

Zero VGS posted:

I have a new riddle for everyone. If I wear Perquil's Toe "Lightning Damage from Enemies Hitting you is Lucky" along with Viridi's Veil "Damage of Enemies Hitting you is Unlucky while you have a Magic Ring Equipped" what happens? Antimatter explosion? Perquil is a straight 7%-ish More damage to everyone but me so if I can negate it (or at least downgrade it to neutral luck) that could be very much worth it.

According to the supporter who made Perquil's Toe they cancel each other out :shrug:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/9bgbrj/im_toetally_excited_for_my_supporter_unique/e52uijg/

[edit] No firestorm buffs, sad
[edit2]

quote:

The Death Aura skill granted by the Death's Oath unique Body Armour now deals 758 Base Chaos Damage per second (previously 563).
:unsmigghh:

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
^^^ Oh sure, you could also just have an actual answer. But I have needless statistics on my side!

Zero VGS posted:

Without having someone actually going into the damage calculation code, my guess would be that they both work and kind of cancel each other out, but it's really going to depend on how it's coded and I don't think GGG has ever said.

Lucky fires first:
Rolls two damage numbers, picks the highest between them. Then unlucky fires, so it rolls another damage number, and compares it to the first (lucky) roll and picks whichever is lower. The result is about halfway between unlucky and a normal roll. (Avg result: 8.84 on a d20 compared to 10.5 on a normal roll and 7.17 on an unlucky roll)

Unlucky fires first:
Rolls two damage numbers, picks the lowest between them. Then lucky fires, so it rolls another damage number, and compares it to the first (unlucky) roll and picks whichever is higher. The result is about halfway between lucky and a normal roll. (Avg result: 12.16 on a d20 compared to 10.5 on a normal roll and 13.82 on a lucky roll)

Testing it would be a huge pain in the rear end, too, and I'm not really sure how you'd even begin to go about it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Oh cool, thanks! Might try Perquil on my cursebot then over Jinxed Juju.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Just as a heads up, our discord server (listed in the op of this thread) is not full (nor is our guild) and this is all nonsense.

TheRat fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 14, 2021

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Wuxi posted:

Wintertime Brand Hiero isn't really a thing. Its a dot spell thats mostly a bossing alternative for cold dot Occultist or Trickster.
Generally Brands don't work that well with Hiero. Storm Brand will work, as will Penance Brand, but both are somewhat gear dependent and will work better as Inquisitor. If you want to play brands I'd look at Inq or Arma Brand Chieftain, if you want to play Hiero I'd go for Cremation Archmage or Freeze Pulse Totems.

heck yeah thanks for the info wuxi

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What does the youtube have to say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr1WtUpZhfk

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Is this a spicy meatball?

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

i presume that is one long video that can be summarized with the following: :qqsay:

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

https://clips.twitch.tv/EasyCleverOysterDxCat

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

It's been removed since yesterday.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Haha what, I just saw it. oh well

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Ah ok the youtube says ultimatium is rehab. Rehab for speed meta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWFdKb8px2k

And were about to get the shakes....

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 14, 2021

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Ok, i really wanna try some kind of Trickster-lowlife-cwc-reap in some form, how gimped will i be before rerolling in tears?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
And I'm not much a fan of grimro but he didn't make a youtube in which he read outloud the thing he was talking about. How are youtubes so bad about this. You ain't microsoft text to speech youtube!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Aerox posted:

Oh hey! Maybe this explains why I had a horrible time with my first serious attempts at Shadow and Ranger...

remind me to goonvet builds before launching them