Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
In general a good ending should end the story and not the setting.

also lmao that GOT of all things used the Leaving Earth song in their behind the scenes of the final season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Ben Nerevarine posted:

that’s a good thing because the Reapers are an uninteresting hackneyed villain

They were interesting until they became extinction level event trope, then they were just eh

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
It took them 3 games to have female characters from the non-sexy races. 3 games and a DLC!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Jon Irenicus posted:

I played the 1-3 Mass Effects back to back with the collection as my first experience, and it became very clear that by the end of ME2 there was no way to narratively wrap up the all the threads in a satisfying way. the Reaper storyline is a cool concept in ME1 that just loses all mystique by ME3 and gets incredibly dumb. even from a design perspective - how do you have the player character of your scifi cover shooter deal with these giant space monstrosities? they were always going to become Cutscene Enemies

I'd have just taken yet another page from the Star Control book and have either or both of:

a: a second Reaper faction with an opposing philosophy on whatever the first Reaper faction wants to do
b: give Shepherd the ability/option to reason with the Reapers and get them on their side, or at least call a temporary truce

This would only really work with the original plan with the dark energy buildup plot though. It wouldn't really work with the Big Bad Kill Everything Reapers we got

e: hell we could even keep the Kohr-Ah reapers if they just gave us some Kzer-Za reapers to make them more interesting

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It's wild because the first time I heard the SH3 rock music when you boot up the game it was so jarring, but it fits the game perfectly. 3 is an excellent game. The horrors have a distinctly feminine quality to them and it takes the cult in a really interesting direction. The first three SH games have radically different tones and approaches to horror but they're each a masterpiece. 3 is unfairly maligned because SH fans are psychos who are impossible to please but it's just as good as 2 imo.

The entire soundtrack of SH3 is weird and amazing and I'm glad it was included with the game, that was an awesome bonus

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Good soup! posted:

The entire soundtrack of SH3 is weird and amazing and I'm glad it was included with the game, that was an awesome bonus

Yamaoka really loving brought it for that series. It's like industrial surf ambient horror trip-hop and it shouldn't work but it really, really does.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'd have just taken yet another page from the Star Control book and have either or both of:

a: a second Reaper faction with an opposing philosophy on whatever the first Reaper faction wants to do
b: give Shepherd the ability/option to reason with the Reapers and get them on their side, or at least call a temporary truce

This would only really work with the original plan with the dark energy buildup plot though. It wouldn't really work with the Big Bad Kill Everything Reapers we got

e: hell we could even keep the Kohr-Ah reapers if they just gave us some Kzer-Za reapers to make them more interesting

imo the fundamental change to Mass Effect would be to make it a political thriller Space Opera about this weird alien force loving up our cooperative civilizations, and the player character is hunting down this threat and proving we aren't crazy. Indoctrination seems like one of the lasting design choices of something like this - the threads are there in ME1 but are dumpstered by 2

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

christmas boots posted:

One of the early drafts for how it was all going to play out was that overuse of the mass effect (and the relays in particular) were creating a buildup of dark energy that was threatening the galaxy (you can still see a bit of this in ME2 with the quarian star that's dying way, way sooner than it's supposed to be) and the reapers were created to keep hitting the reset clock until someone figured out a better solution

then they rectconned it further by creating a race of beings called Leviathans that just became Reapers

even sci-fi slop is better than that lmao

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Bideo James posted:

then they rectconned it further by creating a race of beings called Leviathans that just became Reapers

and the final insult is that even this little bit of lore, as sad and thrown together as it is, was locked away behind a dlc

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
The connection between dark energy killing stars, powerful biotics leading to mind control, and AIs that harvest advanced life and also have mind control, it's like they had the real story of the series right there but chose the AI/Bio story instead.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

drat horror queefs posted:

If me3 replaced the ghost kid with a ghost dog it would have been objectively more compelling prove me wrong

Ghost Conrad Verner, but then you still meet the very much alive Conrad Verner but then he says something only the Ghost Conrad would know

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

lmao at inorganic life being a threat to things lmao theyre immortal theyll go away and do their own thing why would they care about organic life

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

drat horror queefs posted:

If me3 replaced the ghost kid with a ghost dog it would have been objectively more compelling prove me wrong

all it does is run around the 3 levers you pull and barks

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jon Irenicus posted:

I played the 1-3 Mass Effects back to back with the collection as my first experience, and it became very clear that by the end of ME2 there was no way to narratively wrap up the all the threads in a satisfying way. the Reaper storyline is a cool concept in ME1 that just loses all mystique by ME3 and gets incredibly dumb. even from a design perspective - how do you have the player character of your scifi cover shooter deal with these giant space monstrosities? they were always going to become Cutscene Enemies

IIRC ME 3 correctly, the player character does it with a giant space worm and a laser targeting for an orbital weapons system.

Space Reapers are unstoppable, but once you get them onto a planet it's just like, I dunno use a rocket launcher or something.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

i mean come on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUDcSeUvkOw

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I feel like the Mass Effect soundtrack rules while you're playing it, but is kind of boring to listen to independently.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Bideo James posted:

all it does is run around the 3 levers you pull and barks

this would be 10000x better than the ghost kid

I agree with the poster who said the ghost kid should've been the ghost of whoever you sacrificed in 1. That would've been interesting. Or they could have had a Ghost Renegade/Paragon shep, the opposite of whatever track you're on, taunting you with visions of what could have been, choices you could have made, people that could still be alive, and then instead of going "pick whatever you want and we'll go with it" it would instead gently caress with you and make you doubt every possible choice you could make between the 3 colors

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

speaking of the barren wastes of 7th generation game design, what magic allowed portal to capture the zeitgeist so hard?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The Voice of Labor posted:

speaking of the barren wastes of 7th generation game design, what magic allowed portal to capture the zeitgeist so hard?

came bundled with orange box, which like a billion people bought

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Siri had just come out a year or two before and was fresh in the public consciousness also

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

The Voice of Labor posted:

It was a fun game with a relatively unique concept, easy to pick up and understand, and it had a good clean direction that didn't take itself too seriously with a couple fun jokes along the way (that fans immediately ran into the ground)

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Battlefield 1942 came out in 2002 and Bad Company 2 came out in 2010

checkmate atheists :smug:

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

It was a fun game with a relatively unique concept, easy to pick up and understand, and it had a good clean direction that didn't take itself too seriously with a couple fun jokes along the way (that fans immediately ran into the ground)

All humor is quickly murdered. It's a shame.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Did they really never put fable 2 on pc wtf

i forgot where i read this but apparently the code was so buggy and lovely and they had to add in so many platform-specific hacks that they just decided to give up on porting it and skip to the sequel

i played it some on xbox and the game slowed to a crawl in literally every single menu screen

shame too since it would be right up this thread's alley since if you made a woman character they seemingly used the same parameters as the male characters for how your character's body morph changes as you increase their stats so you end up being a head taller than every npc and built like the hulk regardless of gender

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Fable 2 was fun. Or at least 16 year old me thought it was a blast.

Gonna find out again when I get my Series S :)

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
"the reapers must be stopped!"
"why?"
"or else they will destroy all life as we know it!"
"why would they do that?"
"so they can convert all intelligent life into a sort of slurry or viscous goo!"
"...why?"
"so they can use said goo to create a giant robot version of the life they turned into the goo! like a giant robot skeleton man or something!"
*turns on heel and walks away*

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Battlefield 1942 came out in 2002 and Bad Company 2 came out in 2010

checkmate atheists :smug:

the you smell very clean line from the first bad company demo has never left me

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Yeah if I recall it has a bizarre human exceptionalism thing going on by the end of ME2.

I never played 3 for some reason.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Bideo James posted:

I swear at the end of 1 or 2 it looked like each reaper was uniquely different than the others but no they are all just giant squids based on a race of organic giant squids

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Good soup! posted:

I used it when dming horror games in college and it worked awesomely.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Portal 1 was also a surprise that nobody was really expecting, everybody bought the Orange Box for either TF2 or Episode 2. Nobody was really expecting the experience they got from it either, since it just seemed like a (interesting) tech demo and nothing more

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
obviously the unfinished terminator in ME2 is the pilot inside the squid ship and each squid ship is another organic race that has been harvested during the cycles and they're all knowing synthetic god avatars of the races they consumed and work together as the reapers to prevent any organic history or development being lost when sentient organic life eventually creates AI and is consumed by it, DUH.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

genericnick posted:

Someone remind me if ME had an insufferable loot/inventory system? I assume yes, but I'm drawing a blank.

it was absolutely godawful

after every fight you automatically picked up a couple dozen "ice rounds mark IV," "fire-resistant shields mark VI" items and you had a limited amount of inventory slots so it would immediately make you go into the inventory screen and pick items one by one to break down into "gel" until you got back under the item count limit

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 21:02 on Apr 14, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Sounds like I should try these Star Control game sone of these days, huh.

Minion of Freya posted:

The connection between dark energy killing stars, powerful biotics leading to mind control, and AIs that harvest advanced life and also have mind control, it's like they had the real story of the series right there but chose the AI/Bio story instead.

There was a writer change and it shows.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah ME had insanely bad item/looting, and you had to loot it all because you never really knew where you'd get an item you'd keep for several hours

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Zurtilik posted:

Yeah if I recall it has a bizarre human exceptionalism thing going on by the end of ME2.

I never played 3 for some reason.

Collectors were turning humans into goo to build the human reaper because the humans were the only species to kill a reaper. That's the ending of 2.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
for what it’s worth they have said they’re revamping ME1’s loot system for the remake to be more in line with 2 and 3

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Lostconfused posted:

Collectors were turning humans into goo to build the human reaper because the humans were the only species to kill a reaper. That's the ending of 2.

For some reason I had recalled some wacky thing about humans being specially adaptive or something. But maybe I'm misremembering. This was like over a decade ago now.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

MonsieurChoc posted:

Sounds like I should try these Star Control game sone of these days, huh.

There was a writer change and it shows.

i'm no objective judge but Star Control 2 is my favorite yidya game of all time. i played it when it first came out and i have no idea if it holds up to current standards for someone who didn't but you can try it for free so why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

path of exile is not bad

yet :(