Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Southpaugh posted:

I mean quitting for years and partying and raping people isn't going to make you a better fighter

Counterpoint Jon Jones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

drat, Jeremy actually had a pretty good interview. Seems much happier at 155 and off the sauce

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

LobsterMobster posted:

oh also Glover vs Jan is in the works for UFC 266

lol this is like the worst fight on the worst card 3 years ago

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

lol, conor is full of poo poo and i'll be happy when he fucks off forever or goes to jail forever someday

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

beep by grandpa posted:

I know I'm willfully ignoring conor's dumbass fanbase, but for everyone else - literally how does conor even come back from a 2nd stoppage loss to dustin and talk any poo poo at all since his only win since obama was president was cowboy cerone

The answer is coke. It's always coke.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

mewse posted:

Counterpoint Jon Jones

An absolutely devastating riposte. I've got nothing.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Southpaugh posted:

An absolutely devastating riposte. I've got nothing.

lhw is a garbage division where you can just clown on everyone and not really try

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

lhw is a garbage division where you can just clown on everyone and not really try

If you don't try you almost lose to an average middle weight with a blown out knee.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

mewse posted:

Counterpoint Jon Jones

Jon Jones should have lost to a guy who got knocked out by David Branch.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
maybe it's my overly pessimistic attitude about fighters i love and treasure but i don't think conor did so badly that he's got no chance. i can't help shake the feeling that conor's gonna do a lot better in the rematch however much i want poirier to annihilate him again.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Foul Fowl posted:

maybe it's my overly pessimistic attitude about fighters i love and treasure but i don't think conor did so badly that he's got no chance. i can't help shake the feeling that conor's gonna do a lot better in the rematch however much i want poirier to annihilate him again.

I'm fuckin' PUMPED cuz it's almost sure to be a banger of a fight any which way, and great entertainment and sport.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Foul Fowl posted:

yeah the first fight wasn't such a blowout that i'm confident about conor having no chance. if he's got an answer for the calf kick then i've got it 50/50.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

if conor checks the leg kicks appropriately it will not be the same fight at all, he'll probably still lose but that fight was a very clear and kinda cool example of how leg kicks work in modern mma and the level of precision and skill needed to both hit them and check them successfully. it's one of those things where if you start to lose the battle it snowballs heavily and obviously affects light on the feet boxers more than wrestlemen. i think it'll probably be a cooler fight this time that's more even and with less inevitability to it

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I'm here to put down my customary Arlovski :toxx:

I say he knocks out Chase Sherman, shocking the world. I know I'm aiming big here but I wanna see it happen. 24 hour probe on it?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah it might not be a round-and-a-half blowout again but I don't see how Conor suddenly gets back to his old self, especially since it's super obvious that as of 2 days ago he was doing coke or whatever instead of training.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Brut posted:

Yeah it might not be a round-and-a-half blowout again but I don't see how Conor suddenly gets back to his old self, especially since it's super obvious that as of 2 days ago he was doing coke or whatever instead of training.

which means that he's definitely going to look incredible and the best conor there's ever been because this is mma and drugs always win

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

For Conor to have an answer to that calf kick he'll have to narrow and square his stance, and that will have a negative effect on other major parts of his game.

Here's where we put in a picture of BJ Penn fighting his trilogy vs Frankie Edgar:

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

CommonShore posted:

For Conor to have an answer to that calf kick he'll have to narrow and square his stance, and that will have a negative effect on other major parts of his game.

Here's where we put in a picture of BJ Penn fighting his trilogy vs Frankie Edgar:

Can Conor calf kick from his usual stance?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

FishBowlRobot posted:

Can Conor calf kick from his usual stance?

Sure yeah

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.
I think Conor gets so worried about the calf kick that he changes his stance or tactics or whatever and in return gets more suscepible to the takedown. Then when Dustin's taken him down two times he goes back to the old him and gets calf kicked for three rounds before a knockout again.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Now I'm imagining the first round as a competition to see who can dish out the most calf kicks.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I would assume there's a bit of a muscle memory issue regarding throwing a calf kick versus a normal low kick aimed above the knee.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
For a primarily striking based fighter, you could work it into your gameplan in one or two training camps if you were motivated.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Pretty sure he's motivated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6chi1m-2z7o

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Conors gonna be horsing into the the coke up until the week of, remember hes supposed to be a fighter get a bit of a jog in, lose and then come up with excuses that would make any Brazilian champion weep.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Flaskraven posted:

I think Conor gets so worried about the calf kick that he changes his stance or tactics or whatever and in return gets more suscepible to the takedown. Then when Dustin's taken him down two times he goes back to the old him and gets calf kicked for three rounds before a knockout again.

hell yeah

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Could you expand on this? Why does he need to narrow his stance?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure why Conor is gonna suddenly make any advancements in his game when he clearly didn't for the rematch. Has he suddenly developed an ability to surround himself with and listen to good coaches?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Count Roland posted:

Could you expand on this? Why does he need to narrow his stance?

Part of the reason that the calf kick has come into play is as a counter to the wide karate stance that lots of fighters - including Conor - have started to use. It basically just leaves that calf hanging there where it can be kicked easily from an angle that's a bit safer from counter punches. Then, if you have that wide, bladed stance, you can't actually turn your leg out far enough to check the calf kick effectively. That's what happened in the last fight - Conor actually tried to check some and admitted in the press conference that his checks weren't good enough to stop the blows from doing damage.

So if you want to be able to turn your leg far enough to check them and meet shin to shin, you need to narrow your stance and square your hips, basically moving into something closer to a thai stance.

Try it! Stand in a Conor/Wonderboy/Machida/Gunner stance and then try to turn your lead leg outward to meet an incoming kick. It's awkward and you'll find yourself naturally shifting back and squaring up to do it.

leftist heap posted:

I'm not sure why Conor is gonna suddenly make any advancements in his game when he clearly didn't for the rematch. Has he suddenly developed an ability to surround himself with and listen to good coaches?

And here's the key

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

leftist heap posted:

he did really well in the diaz rematch (as in, had clearly worked on specific answers for the problems that nate posed in the first fight). whereas the second poirier fight might as well have been the first time they fought given how long ago the first fight was and how poirier has dramatically changed and improved since then.

poirier himself had to learn some hard lessons about how effective leg kicks are. jim miller pieced him up with them.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Well if we are extrapolating from existing information, then the one time Conor avenged a UFC loss in a rematch he did indeed change his gameplan significantly to counter his opponent. Unfortunately this new strategy was "avoidance bordering on cowardice," and it was not enough to make his victory decisive and uncontroversial with fans and media outlets, and it was against a much worse fighter than Dustin Poirier, and also it was countless lines of coke and violent/sex crimes ago.

So smart money is on McGregor imho

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
Conor threw and connected with some good shots in the rematch, I wouldn't be surprised if he knocked Dustin out.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

conor will also adapt and cheat more. I take UFC's pathetic Warning system as "hey bud you're allowed to cheat but just a couple times"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

beep by grandpa posted:

conor will also adapt and cheat more. I take UFC's pathetic Warning system as "hey bud you're allowed to cheat but just a couple times"

Which cheats are you expecting Conor to deploy, eye pokes?

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

kimbo305 posted:

Which cheats are you expecting Conor to deploy, eye pokes?

Cage grabs for sure, if takedowns come into play.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Freudian slippers posted:

Cage grabs for sure, if takedowns come into play.

He's doing rockwall climbing right now, building up his finger strength!

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
I mean, Conor basically had the foul fun pack on display with Khabib. I think there was a cage grab to prevent a takedown, a shorts grab, and some glove grabbing all in about 45 seconds

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

So if you want to be able to turn your leg far enough to check them and meet shin to shin, you need to narrow your stance and square your hips, basically moving into something closer to a thai stance.

Makes sense! Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

rideANDxORdie posted:

I mean, Conor basically had the foul fun pack on display with Khabib. I think there was a cage grab to prevent a takedown, a shorts grab, and some glove grabbing all in about 45 seconds

the best foul from the khabib fight was the knee because conor would later take to twitter to subtly imply that if knees to the head of a grounded opponent were legal he could have won the fight. as if making the strike legal wouldn't lead to khabib incorporating the strike into his own ground game

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1319079525133783041

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Ringo Roadagain posted:

the best foul from the khabib fight was the knee because conor would later take to twitter to subtly imply that if knees to the head of a grounded opponent were legal he could have won the fight. as if making the strike legal wouldn't lead to khabib incorporating the strike into his own ground game

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1319079525133783041

The first of those tweets reads eerily like a trump quote.