Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Rakna was super weak to IG too, I imagine any weapon with a lot of potential air time is going to have an easy go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Rakna felt really non-threatening, like a spider Gammoth.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Agent355 posted:

MHW:

What do you do about the frozen ground patches that iceface barioth uses?

They slow down my movement so much that I can't reliably get away from the follow up, but they also seem to come out extremely fast so I can't reliably dodge the icy ground in the first place.

I'm using lance for the fight and nothing even touches me except the random ice patch poo poo. Am I missing something? I can't even block when I'm on icy ground.

Iceproof mantle greatly lessens the slow of the patch. Either way I've found moving diectly toward Barioth and rolling as soon as you're free of the patch works most times.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

mightygerm posted:

Which weapons are really good at breaking multiple parts on a monster? I would guess GL and CB, but anything else? I'm thinking of making a partbreaker build for multiplayer.

i generally have every single part on a monster broken with switch axe

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

MHW:

Yay, I finally beat alatreon, the trick ended up being switching to a hammer.

I tried IG first but a frantic fight + juggling buffs was too hard, then I tried lance and I just had trouble with limited mobility and too many (practically) unblockable attacks, endless amounts of chip damage that I couldn't ignore even with guard 5.

Hammer was mobile enough that I could dodge all the ground poo poo that kept hurting me through my guard with lance.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

mightygerm posted:

Which weapons are really good at breaking multiple parts on a monster? I would guess GL and CB, but anything else? I'm thinking of making a partbreaker build for multiplayer.

Switchaxe in sword-mode has baked-in mind's eye so your attacks won't bounce off of stuff like Narga's Wings, and axe mode has great reach for chopping tails.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
I have had to do the Volcano ore-farm three times so far because I can't stop making new weapons/armor. I craft all of these things and then just play Dual Blades, they're everything I wanted them to be in 4U and the best version of them from GU.

I'd love to see Adept CB make a comeback though.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

What do the x1, x2 indicators mean next to material drop rates? For example, Volvidon has paralysis sac as a capture reward, "x2 21%.". Most of the other materials he drops are only x1.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Tender Bender posted:

What do the x1, x2 indicators mean next to material drop rates? For example, Volvidon has paralysis sac as a capture reward, "x2 21%.". Most of the other materials he drops are only x1.

It means that particular capture reward is a stack of 2 paralysis sacs

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Where's the GD patch notes

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Snake Maze posted:

It means that particular capture reward is a stack of 2 paralysis sacs

Ooooh, cool. Thanks!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

In Training posted:

Where's the GD patch notes

https://www.monsterhunter.com/rise/update/us/ver01_01_02.html little drop down in the top right for other versions as they come out

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

I have had to do the Volcano ore-farm three times so far because I can't stop making new weapons/armor. I craft all of these things and then just play Dual Blades, they're everything I wanted them to be in 4U and the best version of them from GU.

I'd love to see Adept CB make a comeback though.

I can't stop making weapons and I'm not even leaving the gunlance tree and I'm barely into HR. I see blue sharpness and green numbers and I'm like yes this is exactly what I need right now.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Does anyone know if Slugger and Drain (I think that's it, the one that adds extra exhaust) skills affect Sticky LBG's? I'm starting to play around with the Rampage LBG w/ rapid sticky and it's kind of hilariously fun. Bad damage though, so I really need to optimize for giving other hunters lots of openings to go ham.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

One of my buddies last night called Gunlance, ”American Lance” and I can't stop chuckling about it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

pixaal posted:

https://www.monsterhunter.com/rise/update/us/ver01_01_02.html little drop down in the top right for other versions as they come out

Well yeah, I meant for the April Update.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

In Training posted:

Well yeah, I meant for the April Update.

They usually drop them after the patch goes live

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Finally gonna make an actual effort to get into MonHun, installing World now.

So far, after giving most weapons a shot in training, I'm feeling the hammer.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
What's the best LBG for spread 3? Magnamalo?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Norns posted:

One of my buddies last night called Gunlance, ”American Lance” and I can't stop chuckling about it.

The Honest Game Trailers that posted last night might have something to do with that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g709jWycFOI

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Agent355 posted:

MHW:

Yay, I finally beat alatreon, the trick ended up being switching to a hammer.

I tried IG first but a frantic fight + juggling buffs was too hard, then I tried lance and I just had trouble with limited mobility and too many (practically) unblockable attacks, endless amounts of chip damage that I couldn't ignore even with guard 5.

Hammer was mobile enough that I could dodge all the ground poo poo that kept hurting me through my guard with lance.

My first Alat win was with hammer too, which surprised me, as I understand it's not an ideal elemental weapon. Failed several times with IG, DB, Bow, LS, GS.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Finally gonna make an actual effort to get into MonHun, installing World now.

So far, after giving most weapons a shot in training, I'm feeling the hammer.

I never played World but hammer was one of my two gateway weapons into the series. Have fun crushing monster faces!!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Oldstench posted:

Any of you playing Rise without the Nintendo OnLine service?

I'm getting the feeling I'm on everyone's ignore list.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Who do you think is the most dangerous monster to hunt? My group is hitting a point where nothing is really dangerous, but I think the most likely monster to be killed by is Magnamalo for how fast and far it moves and for how its attacks have followup hitboxes with the purple clouds.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Reiley posted:

Who do you think is the most dangerous monster to hunt? My group is hitting a point where nothing is really dangerous, but I think the most likely monster to be killed by is Magnamalo for how fast and far it moves and for how its attacks have followup hitboxes with the purple clouds.

The answer is you, the hunter.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Oldstench posted:

I think it's the exact sort of question that if you can't answer in the affirmative you don't answer at all.

I would definitely enjoy the game less if it was offline. Hunting with three friends on comms is a top gaming experience.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Finished final boss a couple days back and am now wrapping up all the quests I skipped. Next step is to build decos and move to higher rarity gear with general attack skills.

Not motivated to charm farm until the real end game is revealed. I'm hoping that the missing decoration skills show up by then so that we can farm for any decent charm with the skills needed rather than one from a small subset of skills. WEX should be a deco, I mean.

The cool thing about Rise, more so than World, is that they've done so much to improve most weapons that endgame will be building and trying out new weapons and builds rather than feeding the charm melder.

The Binbok controller has changed how I use the Switch. Never liked the original joycons much for these big hands so I played GU almost exclusively on a bigger screen with a DS4 controller. With the new, controller-like joycons I finally enjoy the Switch for what it is. So much better than large screen at a distance too.

Feel like I missed out by not buying the Hori ages ago and playing GU with it, all 350+ hours of it.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Centzon Totochtin posted:

What's the best LBG for spread 3? Magnamalo?

For Spread3, yeah Magnamalo is pretty much your only option. The loadout I usually see is Spare Shot Sticky3 ammo for stuns and then unloading with spread

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Oldstench posted:

I've only been playing the singleplayer missions because my internet is rural garbage

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

every mission is a single player mission if you're brave enough

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm playing world on PC not rise on nintendo but I treat it as basically single player, i ocassionally do 2-man missions if I can rope a friend into it, but 90% of the time I'm by myself.

It makes the game harder for sure, but it's fun for me.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Oldstench posted:

Any of you playing Rise without the Nintendo OnLine service?

I have online but do a lot of hunts solo, and I think the game works very well that way. Multiplayer is more chaotic, and it can be fun to have other hunters running around, but singleplayer feels more like a well designed challenge. Since health scales with playercount it’s not even slower than multiplayer, and there’s no content that can’t be done solo, so you’re not missing out on anything beyond the multiplayer experience itself.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Everything including arenas scales to solo hunts now.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I do every hunt at least once solo, but there's sort of a curve to the way I do missions. If I'm doing mindless grinding out missions I'll usually hop online because its more chaotic and fun and adds some variety, but if I'm trying out new weapons or I have some speedrun method I'll grind mats solo. Going online also means I feel less pressured to have a completely decked-out build with really good decos because eh the second we knock a monster down its gonna take four billion damage anyways

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Alxprit posted:

every mission is a single player mission if you're brave enough

Honestly doing like HR hub missions solo is really fun in a way that doing stuff in a group or LR / village isn't. Fights can really drag out to like 20+ minutes, and it's a really fun and unique experience. Fights become more of a test of endurance and resource management, making sure you're not chugging through too many potions or antidotes or whatever. It feels much more like the classic games back on the PSP. Shoutouts to my old dumbass self playing MHF or whatever and trying to fight HR Black Gravios solo with SnS and refusing to NOT try to cut the tail off, and constantly hitting the time limit.

Of course you can always just, like, restock from the tent, but still.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Because I see poo poo like this and think what the gently caress

https://youtu.be/lAgTQPdOQSo

Okay, lance is the next weapon I play around with. This looks hilarious.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

in mh rise, are urgent quests actually urgent? can i just...not do them, in favor of doing other quests that i want to do? im not in the mood to do a rampage whatever that is, i wanna just run around with no time limit and explore the flooded forest

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
^^^
Sure you can ignore the urgent quests, but then you won't be able to move on to the next tier of quests and thus monsters. I didn't particularly enjoy the rampage quests, but they'll take ~20 minutes of your time (each) to complete. It's bearable.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I've only been playing the singleplayer missions because my internet is rural garbage

Just out of curiosity: have you tried playing online? Monster Hunter seems to be extremely forgiving in terms of connection. I'm from Germany and seem to get paired with Japanese people almost exclusively (:thunk:), but can play with them without any issues.

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 14, 2021

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Achmed Jones posted:

in mh rise, are urgent quests actually urgent? can i just...not do them, in favor of doing other quests that i want to do? im not in the mood to do a rampage whatever that is, i wanna just run around with no time limit and explore the flooded forest

No, you just have to do them to progress to the next tier of hunts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

MMF Freeway posted:

No, you just have to do them to progress to the next tier of hunts

sweet, thanks!

so far almost every question i have is "can i ignore [thing i want to ignore]" and the answer is always "yes". everybody talks about how deep and complicated monster hunter is, but i'm sure loving that the depth and complexity seems to be totally optional, at least up to where I am.

i still haven't pulled off the A, A, A, X+A, backstep, X, X, X, combo in a hunt yet. i usually screw up the backstep, and when I don't, the monster is ready to attack and so i have to dodge or whatever. it's gonna feel awesome when i pull it off. i tried the sliding strike switch skill, but it felt like it made the jump slash too easy to pull off. i want it as a reward for _finally doing that hard combo_ instead of a thing i can basically do at will. can't cheapen my acrobatics, you know.