Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I would say that Pierce ammo is definitely the best ammo type for just sort of playing the videogame if you don't want to swap your entire build every single fight or spend 200k and make a ton of decorations for a weapon that's only good sometimes and totally unusable in multiplayer.

I'd recommend making the Rath Shooter and building around rapid-fire elemental damage and see how you like it, I just used it and it totally shreds Barioth, got a 9 min hunt after spending a comically long time cutting its tail off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

OK! Are there any good videos out right now on the Heavy Bowgun in Rise?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
So HR Mizutsune is a gear check, huh? I don't want to solo it but I might have to.

Is there an elemental resistance I should aim for for Mizu? Is it Water?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

OK! Are there any good videos out right now on the Heavy Bowgun in Rise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eblXwvMx3zY&t=168s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04ynJupVoFU&t=323s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXIRhAws-1o

I think the biggest thing I've noticed with Heavy Bowguns is they're VERY focused around like...really requiring the entire build with all the skills to work. So every video isn't about just the gun, but the gun and all the skills on the armor and ALSO the decorations. On the flipside, LBGs seem to be much more user-friendly and versatile. Like, the difference between my LBG fire element build and my pierce rapidfire build is basically just swapping around some decorations, but to make a complete HBG build takes a lot of investment.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Are there any good resources for comparing armor skills and stuff? Wouldn't mind figuring out a cool mixed set that could be useful for both Horn & Hammer that's not the Kulu set. I love the funky arabian nights chicken armor but I'm ready for something different.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

My favorite HBG is the Meteor Cannon, it really takes advantage of the new charge shots. Sticky 1/2/3 with charged Sticky 3 as your main ammo. 1 stack of Sticky 1 will craft into nearly 3 more stacks of Sticky 3 with gunpowder, and sticky 1 is easy to craft as well. It comes with 3 status ammos, Sleep 2/Para 2/Poison 2 which apply status fairly quickly. Finally it has Wyvern Shot which paired with sleep does Greatsword level damage when charged.

So you can open a hunt with sleep + bombs and wyvern shot, paralyze immediately after, then fire all of your Sticky 2 into the head before the paralyze is up for a KO. From there just focus on headshots with charged sticky 3. Really fun gun, it's what I wanted when I first saw the charged shot hunter art in GU.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Evil Eagle posted:

My favorite HBG is the Meteor Cannon, it really takes advantage of the new charge shots. Sticky 1/2/3 with charged Sticky 3 as your main ammo. 1 stack of Sticky 1 will craft into nearly 3 more stacks of Sticky 3 with gunpowder, and sticky 1 is easy to craft as well. It comes with 3 status ammos, Sleep 2/Para 2/Poison 2 which apply status fairly quickly. Finally it has Wyvern Shot which paired with sleep does Greatsword level damage when charged.

I made this one and tried it against Magnamalo and really struggled to squeeze a win out. I think maybe it would be easier with Gyro controls, or maybe even trying to slot in Focus or something, but I just couldn't hit the headshots with enough frequency to keep him locked down. It's definitely one of those thing that I think I could have won if I just had more damage output with Artillery or Attack Up, but to get those Decos I need to do more farming, but I cant farm fast without a stronger weapon........

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
What's your highest number of consecutive faints to the same monster? More than 10?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Earlier today I joined an in-progress hunt, ran toward the fight for about ten seconds, someone fainted, and the hunt ended.

Tonight I joined an in-progress hunt, ran toward the fight for about ten seconds, and the group captured the monster.

The universe is again balanced.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I made this one and tried it against Magnamalo and really struggled to squeeze a win out. I think maybe it would be easier with Gyro controls, or maybe even trying to slot in Focus or something, but I just couldn't hit the headshots with enough frequency to keep him locked down. It's definitely one of those thing that I think I could have won if I just had more damage output with Artillery or Attack Up, but to get those Decos I need to do more farming, but I cant farm fast without a stronger weapon........

You can enable gyro! Poke around in the options. You'll have to probably disable it for everything but aiming, but it's been really helpful.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

In my imagination, I thought of the Heavy Bowgun as more like a rocket launcher then I guess what it really is.

May I recommend the Felyne HBG?

https://i.imgur.com/H58CR0z.mp4

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Alxprit posted:

You can enable gyro! Poke around in the options. You'll have to probably disable it for everything but aiming, but it's been really helpful.

My actual joycons have some pretty annoying drift so I havent even tried the game undocked yet. I did buy a much nicer controller though that has some better sensitivity options

Snake Maze posted:

May I recommend the Felyne HBG?

https://i.imgur.com/H58CR0z.mp4

God I wish Pawprint Stamps werent so annoying to farm, I'm in the middle of making the Felyne dualblades

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Magnamalo is kinda hard to hit in the head consistently, but yeah I have all those decos and didn't move on to HBG until after many hunts with greatsword

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Honestly I'm looking for more HBG variety. I'm not sure if going elemental is the way to go right now, but it's at least a thought. I don't think I'd feel great about trying a Spread-focused one right now. And I'm not sure if Barioth is just the best Pierce one or if I should be looking elsewhere, like the Rathalos one that was mentioned. I need to optimize it a bit more I think.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Is there an ammo type that isn't affected by charging? Status, maybe?

Also, unloading Wyvernheart into a monster's face so consistently you stunlock it for the entire duration is a very special sort of joy. 5th gen bowguns feel downright decadent after the hard-nosed asceticism that was part and parcel before.

Remember when you needed a degree in screenshake forensics/have your VFX third eye wide open to determine if you were in critical range? Good times.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Are there any good resources for comparing armor skills and stuff? Wouldn't mind figuring out a cool mixed set that could be useful for both Horn & Hammer that's not the Kulu set. I love the funky arabian nights chicken armor but I'm ready for something different.
I just use the blacksmith. You can hit X or whatever to preview pieces, it tells you what the skill list and slots for whatever you're currently previewing, and you can hit Y to search for pieces that have specific skills or slots you want. That's pretty much everything you need

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

So HR Mizutsune is a gear check, huh? I don't want to solo it but I might have to.

Is there an elemental resistance I should aim for for Mizu? Is it Water?

HR Mizu hits like a freight train, deffo eat for water resist/divine blessing.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

homeless snail posted:

I just use the blacksmith. You can hit X or whatever to preview pieces, it tells you what the skill list and slots for whatever you're currently previewing, and you can hit Y to search for pieces that have specific skills or slots you want. That's pretty much everything you need

Yeah true and I've been doing that. Was hoping there was a decent resource to look up stuff that I can't make yet so I can kinda make a gameplan of what I wanna aim for from monsters.

Though I suppose HR armor sets are mostly gonna be repeats of of the LR version but better and with additional stuff so I can still mostly use that to get a good idea.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lol, Zinogre's enrages are insane. Every time I fight him I think "alright, he's not so bad, I think I've got the hang of this." And then he hulks the gently caress out and I'm scrambling to stay alive. What a cool fight.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Alxprit posted:

Honestly I'm looking for more HBG variety. I'm not sure if going elemental is the way to go right now, but it's at least a thought. I don't think I'd feel great about trying a Spread-focused one right now. And I'm not sure if Barioth is just the best Pierce one or if I should be looking elsewhere, like the Rathalos one that was mentioned. I need to optimize it a bit more I think.

I cant find it for some reason but one really cool video I saw was a speedrun of the final boss that used the Magnamalo gun, slicing ammo to stun and then dropping fully charged Dragon Pierce shots for like 150 every proc. Final time was like just over four minutes. The annoying thing about the HBG meta seems to be that every single one relies on Sticky or Slicing for stuns and then only when the enemy is down do you actually use your other ammo types. But, I guess in a similar vein, if you wanted to use an elemental HBG piercing ammo would pretty much be your main shot, since it'd be a waste to do elemental ammo when Rapid Fire LBG exists

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I mean, I get it. Sticky and Slicing are really powerful when charged up, and you wanna charge them up since you get so few of them. But I go back and forth depending on the state of the current fight. When I'm playing with friends I can fire away with impunity since the monster's attention is rarely on me, and use Counter Charger when they do come at me to make my shots even better with superfast charge times. That's another reason I like the Barioth Gun, its easy access to Slicing along with Pierce makes it very versatile.

Well, sometimes I'm in the mood for it and sometimes I'm not. That's the great thing about nyooming between three different kinds of weapons in this game instead of my solo Lance focus in World and Iceborne. It's fun to absorb a single moveset and get really good at it but I'm proud at myself for branching out and trying some new stuff. And especially HBG is something I never thought I'd try just because bowguns seemed so complex from the side. It actually makes it kind of hard to ask around regarding it and figure out what I could be doing better. I'd like to try and do stuff that isn't necessarily meta but is still effective. One of the most interesting things I saw was the final boss's HBG which can load every kind of Piercing Elemental Ammo except for Dragon, and does single-shot auto-reload on the kinds that aren't its associated element. It seems strangely versatile, which I think makes it kind of weird for practical play because HBG seems to benefit from specializing... but it's neat! I like it.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Yeah true and I've been doing that. Was hoping there was a decent resource to look up stuff that I can't make yet so I can kinda make a gameplan of what I wanna aim for from monsters.

Though I suppose HR armor sets are mostly gonna be repeats of of the LR version but better and with additional stuff so I can still mostly use that to get a good idea.

If you want to clonk things on the noggin its hard to go wrong with the Anjanath set as your base. You're bound to find something valuable to start with in there, plus you're gonna look extra good with whatever you build.

e: my Hunting Horn friend has a build with Anjanath gloves/waist, Rathalos chest, the boar head helmet and ingot legs if you'd like to explore those parts for potential value.

Reiley fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 15, 2021

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Finally was able to get the game, gonna hunt some mons tomorrow once it's all downloaded!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Alxprit posted:

When I'm playing with friends I can fire away with impunity since the monster's attention is rarely on me, and use Counter Charger when they do come at me to make my shots even better with superfast charge times.

I mentioned this earlier today but in World, I made a HBG with Focus 3, Special Ammo Boost, Partbreaker, and Artillery which meant that I could poo poo out huge damage Wyvernsnipes every 45 seconds and then cut tails with slicing in the meantime, and it was really fun. It was pretty much a multiplayer-exclusive build since its so hard to reliably line up a Snipe when an enemy is actively fighting you, but multiplayer is the perfect spot to free yourself up to commit to the big shots. Works against every monster, too, just more effective against some than others

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Reiley posted:

If you want to clonk things on the noggin its hard to go wrong with the Anjanath set as your base. You're bound to find something valuable to start with in there, plus you're gonna look extra good with whatever you build.

e: my Hunting Horn friend has a build with Anjanath gloves/waist, Rathalos chest, the boar head helmet and ingot legs if you'd like to explore those parts for potential value.

Sweet, thanks for the heads up. I mostly just want something that'll work pretty well for both HH & Hammer and really both of them want mostly the same stuff besides Horn Maestro vs Focus.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Sweet, thanks for the heads up. I mostly just want something that'll work pretty well for both HH & Hammer and really both of them want mostly the same stuff besides Horn Maestro vs Focus.

I should correct, it might be a Rathian chest piece, I don't recall which, just that it's one of the two, but happy to put a mark on the roadmap for you.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oldstench posted:

What's your highest number of consecutive faints to the same monster? More than 10?

Like 10 carts to the same fight? I think I had 12ish on the arena Gold and Silver rath hunt in GU village, that poo poo sucked

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I don't want to talk about trying to kill HR Pink Rathian back in 4U. Past me was very bad at MonHun but also I could probably reasonably blame it on the tiny rear end 3DS screen real estate.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

My actual joycons have some pretty annoying drift so I havent even tried the game undocked yet. I did buy a much nicer controller though that has some better sensitivity options

God I wish Pawprint Stamps werent so annoying to farm, I'm in the middle of making the Felyne dualblades

for me its buddy tickets :( guy just wont give me any. i don't need any more apples!!!!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm doing a sticky/Cluster LBG build but everything I am reading here tells me if I enjoy that playstyle I should be considering HBG?

Every single LBG player I see online is doing pierce but I just really like doing the LBG aerial flip > 2 cluster bomb shots before I land. Plus I have the artillery pieces anyway because I was interested in Gunlance and I'm not committed enough to make a Pierce set

Also how do I use my special ammo? When a monster is knocked down should I be running up to it, planting them and switching to Shrapnel or something? I forget I have it

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Magna Kaser posted:

for me its buddy tickets :( guy just wont give me any. i don't need any more apples!!!!
:same:

I've been wanting to make these:

since I saw they were in the game, because they've always been one of my favorite "dual blades" :3: Sadly, I've been playing for like 80 hours now and I still don't have the 5 tickets because the cat is just giving me lagniapples. I think I've gotten something like 10 in a row now without a buddy ticket, it's such a letdown.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 15, 2021

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
If you’re going HBG slicing ammo I strongly recommend the spare shot skill. It procs quite often and extends your ammo use a lot.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Alxprit posted:

every mission is a single player mission if you're brave enough

Meh, it's not even that hard to do in this game since they've made it scale down to one person. I know i did all of my hub quests single player and enjoyed that the monsters weren't folding over in under 10 minutes. Now i help my friends play catch up.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
Decided to take my brand new spiral thrust for a test drive on my HR Narga key quest. It’s as nuts as everyone says it is.

Also apparently narga’s tail slam is a double slam now which killed me twice in the hunt lmao

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

Also apparently narga’s tail slam is a double slam now which killed me twice in the hunt lmao

Only when his eyes are red.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

First HR solo kill on Rathalos. Two plates. Praise RNGesus

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

Lol, Zinogre's enrages are insane. Every time I fight him I think "alright, he's not so bad, I think I've got the hang of this." And then he hulks the gently caress out and I'm scrambling to stay alive. What a cool fight.

In Monster Hunter design history Zinogre feels like the first "modern" monster. Quick and nippy, able to kill a player easily but can be completely picked apart once you get his patterns down.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I didn't play World as much as I've already played Rise, and I didn't play Iceborne at all but did monsters like Rajang move this fast?

I can't imagine how I'd deal with some of these guys without wirebugs

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I didn't play World as much as I've already played Rise, and I didn't play Iceborne at all but did monsters like Rajang move this fast?

I can't imagine how I'd deal with some of these guys without wirebugs

Rajang has always been fast as poo poo. Learning his "tells" was hard for me back in the day because of how little time you get to react.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Tender Bender posted:

zinogre and goss harag are my two favourite fights as a mh noob (now 60 hours into this game). they also make the coolest armour and weapons. and just seem like all around great guys.