Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Good soup! posted:

Id like to get a vr headset at some point if only to play certain older games with it modded in lol

its really funny how the VR concept attracts the supernerds who go through the effort to do poo poo like this. reddit supernerds basically organized a group where they do the cracking, have coded their own installer and do p2p for hosting. So you can just pirate games with 1 click lmfao

Homeless Friend has issued a correction as of 01:48 on Apr 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Also applies to Nintendo.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Way more of a pain in the rear end to do Nintendo crap. Never got a switch but modding a 3ds wasn't hard but it definitely was painfully boring/long, I assume they're similar experiences. Facebook just lets you turn on devmode and bypass everything thank g*d

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

hacking the 3ds to fix the performance problems with mgs3d was completely worth it though

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The slowdown in the psp version of Final Fantasy Tactics is another fun one.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

beat em ups are back baby

i still gotta try Streets of Rage 4. i fuckin love the art style but have heard mixed things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVdUwy818BY

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Durf posted:

beat em ups are back baby

i still gotta try Streets of Rage 4. i fuckin love the art style but have heard mixed things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVdUwy818BY

wasn't there some communist people's uprising beat 'em up recently

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Filthy Hans posted:

wasn't there some communist people's uprising beat 'em up recently

this one? https://store.steampowered.com/app/290690/Tonight_We_Riot/

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

yep

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Monster hunter as a series is kinda like an mmo because it's been basically the same game for like 20 years. Instead of expansions they just release another game so everyone resets to zero and starts over

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Xaris posted:

im playing through divinity original sin 2 right now and its been fun, i don't mind combat but it's not right for every game.

speaking of which in DOS2: right now im rockling Sebille as main pc + red prince + lohse + lone wolf mysterious aragon guy

I'm doing physical eternal knight phys warfare/necro build on Sebille with like adrenaline and a bunch of rushes and whirlwind and vampirism; Rce Prince I'm putting fire staff and close-med range fire poo poo on red prince with the fire talents that make him use less AP and spitting flames all over; mysterious aragon guy I have all huntsman/ranged and plucking away at them with high phys damage and retreating playing a piano of skills and seems really good, especially if I put him up high on a ledge before a battle starts. I haven't done much else with him other than stack Huntsman+Ranged+Finese and use the cripple /air shot/multi-shot/fang/etc so I don't know if I'm missing some opportunities here or if that is the way to go but seems to be working fine for right now in Act 2.

Lohse is the one im not sure what to do. ive been going aerothurge and hydro and a few points of summing, but most hydro or air skills i have feel pretty loving weak. i cant really figure out summon though i do have a totem thing. I don't really ahve any healing spells for her besides that early-noob yallow flower girl ring that grants +Restoration as a spell. idk i need to figure her out. At the moment she's mostly just a char to Nether Teleport some bads away, cast Inspiration, and sometimes put that Triple Ice Shot on a pack of bads. She' the really big weak-link i've got that I can't figure out what to do. what would be a good way to build her? I don't have anything set in stone for her and glad to re-roll if i need to.

I'm nominally going for 2/2 (phys melee, fire melee/close-up brawler, phys ranged, magic ranged support/damage).

give Lohse Summoning and put down a tower on an element (for magic) or blood (for physical) every single turn, they last for a while and do pretty good damage

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

DoubleDonut posted:

give Lohse Summoning and put down a tower on an element (for magic) or blood (for physical) every single turn, they last for a while and do pretty good damage

would I focus on only summoning or is there another element i should be speccing?

and i guess you use wands right?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Monster hunter as a series is kinda like an mmo because it's been basically the same game for like 20 years. Instead of expansions they just release another game so everyone resets to zero and starts over

Please do not compare video games to mmos.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Bootleg Trunks posted:

What was the point of removing Miranda butt shots but making skin tight boob clothes for liara

Why remove Miranda’s butt from the game when you can just remove Miranda from the game?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

Sounds like I should try these Star Control game sone of these days, huh.

There was a writer change and it shows.

Star Control 2 is an all-time great game.

The other Star Controls are not that great.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i bought the republic commando port on ps4
its decent. no qualms. forgot what bullet sponges the elite enemies were if you run out of the right ammo and how fast your bros can die but otherwise its still a fun game that doesnt seem hosed up

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

pentyne posted:

But most likely some weird attempt to be Nier Automata Underwater version.
They should make a Good version instead.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

snoremac posted:

They should make a Good version instead.

a good version of bioshock? never gonna happen

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

Silent hill 2 sucks rear end because everyone played it and has just tried to copy it, and horror games are much worse because of its influence.

Grapplejack posted:

Like oh my god the monsters in this game are representations of the main characters traumas??? Holy poo poo my mind is blown, you madlad you did it you remade silent hill 2 but much worse in every way, just like the 20 other horror games that came out this month

being mad at a great game because countless hack devs tried and failed to copy it is dumb and pointless. if sh2 never existed, they would have found something else to imitate. shovelware is inevitable

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I'm tempted to get a fancy gaming mouse so I can map one of the auxiliary buttons on it to "tab" so that I can play disco elysium in bed without touching the keyboard at all

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
If you liked Disco Elysium's dialogue options you'd enjoy Star Control 2

Son of Thunderbeast has issued a correction as of 06:25 on Apr 15, 2021

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

urquan masters owns so hard

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

The Voice of Labor posted:

I'm tempted to get a fancy gaming mouse so I can map one of the auxiliary buttons on it to "tab" so that I can play disco elysium in bed without touching the keyboard at all

Right mouse button does the same thing. I don't use the keyboard anymore when playing.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Duke nukem 2 was pretty cool back in the day

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Xaris posted:

would I focus on only summoning or is there another element i should be speccing?

and i guess you use wands right?

Summoning is not based on stats - just the skill itself, so do whatever else you want. Personally I really only use wands for my wizards to hold in their non-shield hands (shields are really good in general and Bouncing Shield is based on your shield stats rather than Strength, so it's a really good way for a caster to do some physical damage) and occasionally throw down a little elemental field or do a tiny amount of damage without putting a skill on cooldown or whatever.

In my current run I've got a character with Huntsman and Summoning so I can just have them stand somewhere out of the way and play tower defense and occasionally shoot things

Edit: Also I really recommend finding skills that do the opposite type of damage that your stat normally does. Like Necromancy is all intelligence-based but it does physical damage; Polymorph runs on strength most of the time but has a few magical skills; Elemental Arrows I think is just based on your normal attack damage and will add magical damage if you use a magical element on it. This way if you're going with, like, 2 physical and 2 magical characters you still have something for everyone to do

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Star Control 2 taught me the word Obstreperous which is honestly too powerful to break out in regular conversation but it's a good one to keep in your back pocket.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Real hurthling! posted:

urquan masters owns so hard

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

'combat' in rpgs is so loving worthless lol. violence as exposition is just, so boring

Age of Decadence did it, and Colony Ship just came out by the same devs

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
age of decadence still has some annoying combat sections. although replaying it a while back it seems like it places more emphasis on each one, and youre expected to use items like nets and explosives more frequently

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Xaris posted:

Lohse is the one im not sure what to do. ive been going aerothurge and hydro and a few points of summing, but most hydro or air skills i have feel pretty loving weak. i cant really figure out summon though i do have a totem thing. I don't really ahve any healing spells for her besides that early-noob yallow flower girl ring that grants +Restoration as a spell. idk i need to figure her out. At the moment she's mostly just a char to Nether Teleport some bads away, cast Inspiration, and sometimes put that Triple Ice Shot on a pack of bads. She' the really big weak-link i've got that I can't figure out what to do. what would be a good way to build her? I don't have anything set in stone for her and glad to re-roll if i need to.

Summon is good, it pretty much gives you another team member to do and soak attacks which is insanely valuable. The incarnate spell allows you to have a summon with any elemental (or physical) damage type you want, depending on what surface you cast it, very flexible. There's also support spells that can imbue it with a specific element (or combination, like cursed lightning) and give it extra skills. You kinda need to commit to summoning at 10 for it to be good, because that gives you the beefier bigger incarnate. Other summons can also be pretty useful - bone widow is a strong physical and has a teleport-like spell. You can only have one summoned creature, but totems don't count for that and you can have multiple of them, and they also take the element of the surface.

I got Lohse as air hydro too, can be pretty good damage dealer. Cast rain to wet your enemies up, then cast chain lightning for bonus damage, possible stun and electrified floor. Air also has a lot of teleport/movement spells. Healing you should aim to have on everyone though, Lohse is fragile and often targeted (at least in my experience), so you actually want others to keep her alive most of the time.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

yo, speaking of Age of Decadence. I bought it recently, but it just doesn't start for me - always freezes up at the loading screen, sometimes at character creation or even when I unroll a drop down in the settings menu. I got a console.log with a lot of potential problems - could be some fonts not loading, or textures, I don't know. Steam bug reports for it seems dead as hell.

Anyone had something similar? Can't refund it, because I got it from fanatical

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

grate deceiver posted:

I got Lohse as air hydro too, can be pretty good damage dealer. Cast rain to wet your enemies up, then cast chain lightning for bonus damage, possible stun and electrified floor. Air also has a lot of teleport/movement spells. Healing you should aim to have on everyone though, Lohse is fragile and often targeted (at least in my experience), so you actually want others to keep her alive most of the time.

Chain Lightning takes a source point to cast tho so I only get it infrequently. Also doesnt rain not play with my red prince fire mage? I've been using those early n00b Gloves of Teleport and Nether Swap on her tho to teleport bads far away so I can keep them separated, so essentially shes just a very half-baked support char right now that just occasionally tosses ice shards, inspire, or that lightning bolt spell. what healing spells should I be using? I dont think I actually have any yet.

yeah sounds like I'll try to go all in on summon but I do like the idea of air spells, thugh looking at a wiki non seem.. wow-inducing? I'm not just not sure hydro would play well with a dedicated fire char but maybe it's not a problem as I think it is.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Xaris posted:

Chain Lightning takes a source point to cast tho so I only get it infrequently. Also doesnt rain not play with my red prince fire mage? I've been using those early n00b Gloves of Teleport and Nether Swap on her tho to teleport bads far away so I can keep them separated, so essentially shes just a very half-baked support char right now that just occasionally tosses ice shards, inspire, or that lightning bolt spell. what healing spells should I be using? I dont think I actually have any yet.

yeah sounds like I'll try to go all in on summon but I do like the idea of air spells, thugh looking at a wiki non seem.. wow-inducing? I'm not just not sure hydro would play well with a dedicated fire char but maybe it's not a problem as I think it is.

How far in the game are you? If you left Port Joy already, in Driftwood there's an important character that lets you regen your source to full whenever you want, so you should be using those source spells when need them. You should also soon be getting a skill from the main questline that lets you suck out source from corpses and enemies.

You should have First Aid on everyone - it needs 1 Hunstman point, heals, and cures a lot of statuses. Hydro 1 has Restoration which is not as good, but if you can get it, 2 heals are better that 1. Hydro 2 has Healing Wave, which spreads among your team. Also, as someone said, have you magic dudes use wands so that they can also carry a shield - this gives you Shields Up that restores both armor.

Combos can be tricky to juggle effectively, but for example, if you combine water + fire you get steam clouds, which restrict vision and can be then again electrified with lightning. Poison + fire also creates poison clouds, which I think can also be electrified. So your goal should be to cycle the surfaces as much as possible so that each of your guys can do something with it. And, even if you commit to one or two elements on a character, it's good to have some spells from different schools that change the surfaces in some way. Items can give you skill points in other schools, if you don't want to commit your permanent points.

Another thing - crafting imo is pretty meh in this game, but one super useful thing you can do here is combine skillbooks - you can combine two different elemental/magic skills to get a hybrid skill. You can also combine a combat skill book with a elemental one to get a hybrid combat skill. It doesn't matter what skillbook you use, only the skill that it belongs to, so you can buy a lot of the cheap ones and experiment. If you combine a source skillbook with a regular one, you get a higher tier hybrid skill, those ones you might want to look up in a guide because source books are pretty valuable.

Also also, summoning has one VERY useful skill - Dominate Mind. This allows you to take control of any enemy for a couple of turns, even boss-tier ones. It can turn a battle around.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

christmas boots posted:

there are people who thought ME1 had the best gameplay? Jesus lmao

I know i assumed they were joking too

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
ENEMIES EVERYWHERE

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

The good part of me1 gameplay was modding your gun to the point of breaking it such as piling on the heat suppressors and using exploding rounds so your was a bullet hose

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I liked loading up a sniper rifle with explosive rounds and so much +damage that a single shot would overheat it but it'd obliterate whatever was unfortunate enough to be down sights.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Homeless Friend posted:

i offloaded my old Oculus CV1 (180 easy bitch) and got a Quest 2. Taintrunners dream is coming true. Facebook is actually going to do it and make a successful VR console. Facebook is going to get some much fuckin data lmfao.

get virtual desktop and play disco elyisum in a dark room. Soooooooo good

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
what-s a good build for Age of Decadence? I followed the game dev for years, played the arena demo, was in the forums, then when it came out and I got into Dead State instead lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bootleg Trunks posted:

I will never forgive bioshock infinite for both sides-ing systematic racism

Daisy ridley did nothing wrong (apart from acting with her bottom teeth)