Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nobody has ever "launched" nukes, only dropped them. Snopes rates this claim as Mostly True.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I'm curious as to how the term "transsexual" can be taken badly. I can see how it should be avoided in some cases where a more general term like transgender should be used instead but you're using it to talk about yourself.

I would have thought it's because sex and gender are different things, and gender is the thing that the person would rather call attention to as part of their identity.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
What is a pfp?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Scratch Monkey posted:

What is a pfp?

Profile pic, I assume.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Scratch Monkey posted:

What is a pfp?

Not much, what's a pfp with you?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Are they mandating vaccines to enter because that’s the only way for that tweet to make sense

Masks. The bloke making this tweet is equating having to wear a mask in order to buy a beer with being in a concentration camp.

He is very smart.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Fister Roboto posted:

Nobody has ever "launched" nukes, only dropped them. Snopes rates this claim as Mostly True.

The only claim made was that he didn't know that anyone had ever launched nukes, not that no one had ever launched nukes. Snopes rates this claim as True.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

When that original tweet happened I was in some other online white nerd / geek space and said, "speaking as a South East Asian I can understand where the original person's complaint comes from and I'm asking you to see why it is important to them."

So I got yelled at by two persons, including one who made the, I am sure some people here would think is an ice burn, of "Lindsay Ellis has been making videos critiquing media longer than you have been making emoji cummy posts on the internet." (when I said "I've been south east Asian longer than either you or Ellis," that was ignored but instead I'm told I'm "pretending to care about an issue where I have no stake in" despite me repeating the fact I'm se Asian).

The other person screamed that I was being a troll and a piece of poo poo who must log off loving right now while in the meantime writing paragraphs on how Twitter is the most toxic and harrasment-based platform on the universe

But yeah it reminds me of how fellow goon Ben shapino posts "he's right" at controversial tweets, where at most he's just told he's a dumbass, while I get people shouting me down that my concerns about being a non-white person is, in fact, invalid and I am the aggressor (who wasn't even actively involved in getting a white person deleting their twitter), nbd

Anyway I'm extremely not surprised Lindsay posted a likely monetized "no o o o the problem isn't me being unable to take criticism, it surely must be everyone else's!" video which will get her a good bit of money, thanks to being "canceled" , and "you did nothing wrong, my queen!" comments

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

I hope these people are haunted by tapping sounds and the ghost of a lobster slowly rotating in place.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That's weird, I dated someone who had the same thing with a lobster in a toaster oven tapping the glass

Cooking lobster isn't that hard folks

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, hungry and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious recipe of forgotten lore—
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of someone gently rapping, rapping at the microwave door.
“’Tis some lobster,” I muttered, “tapping at the microwave door—
Only this and nothing moKERSPLOOOOODDDDDDEEEE!!!!”

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

The Saddest Rhino posted:

When that original tweet happened I was in some other online white nerd / geek space and said, "speaking as a South East Asian I can understand where the original person's complaint comes from and I'm asking you to see why it is important to them."

So I got yelled at by two persons, including one who made the, I am sure some people here would think is an ice burn, of "Lindsay Ellis has been making videos critiquing media longer than you have been making emoji cummy posts on the internet." (when I said "I've been south east Asian longer than either you or Ellis," that was ignored but instead I'm told I'm "pretending to care about an issue where I have no stake in" despite me repeating the fact I'm se Asian).

The other person screamed that I was being a troll and a piece of poo poo who must log off loving right now while in the meantime writing paragraphs on how Twitter is the most toxic and harrasment-based platform on the universe

But yeah it reminds me of how fellow goon Ben shapino posts "he's right" at controversial tweets, where at most he's just told he's a dumbass, while I get people shouting me down that my concerns about being a non-white person is, in fact, invalid and I am the aggressor (who wasn't even actively involved in getting a white person deleting their twitter), nbd

Anyway I'm extremely not surprised Lindsay posted a likely monetized "no o o o the problem isn't me being unable to take criticism, it surely must be everyone else's!" video which will get her a good bit of money, thanks to being "canceled" , and "you did nothing wrong, my queen!" comments

Lindsay actually calls out this very specific behaviour (white people shouting down POC voices in the name of ""progressiveness"") and cops to doing it herself and understanding that she needs to do better.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

The Saddest Rhino posted:

As someone who enjoyed her content before this and thought her tweet was a stupid hot take but not intentionally harmful her video removed any benefit of the doubt that she really sucks. I would have expected or hoped she would have said "I definitely didn't mean the tweet that way but understand how it came across poorly and I'm sorry" but it's just an hour and a half of her saying sarcastic bad faith bullshit and justifying her opinions because there are trolls on twitter and pretending there are no good faith critics of her stupid position or mistakes. There's doubling down, there's digging your own grave, then there's whatever the gently caress that 1:40 video was. Titling it "Mask Off" was really on the nose.

Danaru posted:

Lindsay actually calls out this very specific behaviour (white people shouting down POC voices in the name of ""progressiveness"") and cops to doing it herself and understanding that she needs to do better.

Hell of a way to start doing better by saying that every person "attacking" her is just white trolls acting in bad faith?

Like, every aspect of this saga is the wheelhouse she built her career on and yet she still can't stop putting her foot in her mouth and doing the very things she's criticized others for in the past.

Bottom Liner has a new favorite as of 03:01 on Apr 16, 2021

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Bottom Liner posted:

Hell of a way to start doing better by saying that every person "attacking" her is just white trolls acting in bad faith?

Like, every aspect of this saga is the wheelhouse she built her career on and yet she still can't stop putting her foot in her mouth and doing the very things she's criticized others for in the past.

Yuuuup, skipped around the movie length non-apology and it's so much of this. She goes from "I'm allowed to say white nonsense because I'm white" to "most of my attackers were white" to making airquotes around "valid criticism" as if she's doing anything but abstracting the fact she made a mildly bad take worse by not listening. She'll briefly acknowledge "I should've listened to POC voices" before another 20 minutes of references to pillories, being attacked for simply being a woman or minority on the internet (???) and referencing a worse tweet than hers from the real enemy in this conversation, Mike Huckabee.

Edit: also lol the commenters going "wow people really obsessively catalogued your old tweets, what losers" as if it's a herculean task to use the search function or Google.

Douche Wolf 89 has a new favorite as of 03:25 on Apr 16, 2021

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Why is it apparently impossible to say "I didn't mean it that way but after listening I understand that was kind of a poo poo take. Sorry."

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

hooman posted:

Why is it apparently impossible to say "I didn't mean it that way but after listening I understand that was kind of a poo poo take. Sorry."

rich white person can't be wrong

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

hooman posted:

A belief that when people are claiming you saying "if you squint" means you hate Asians, saying 'sorry' means they're right.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

https://twitter.com/hellaplus/status/1382792229987655681?s=20

e: need to click through to see the entire thing, good grief

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

hooman posted:

Weird Al did this regarding the use of the word "spastic" as a pejorative in a song, and everyone basically said "okay" and moved on.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Why be a writer if you can't exploit your own or your friends trauma?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

:psyduck:

So does anyone have that gif from LF of "AAAAAAAAAAAA" scrolling across the screen and slowly fading to red?

No reason.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

kirbysuperstar posted:

These are the same people that think white people should be thanked for abolishing slavery.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

kirbysuperstar posted:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm convinced that the #1 reason why people support capitalism is because they have no loving idea what capitalism actually is.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
capitalism = good, also thing that helps capitalism or makes me feel good are good

other thing = bad.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Edit: also lol the commenters going "wow people really obsessively catalogued your old tweets, what losers" as if it's a herculean task to use the search function or Google.

I'll say this, when the second person ("twitter is bad and a harassment platform! me shrieking abuse at you is beside the point so loving log off!") told me Ellis had death threats made against her for the Raya tweet, I genuinely did not (and still do not) know that is true, so I asked what these death threats were and where were they. I was told "IT WAS ON HER [already deleted] ACCOUNT DUMBASS" and that apparently was the end of it, I was disallowed to ask further questions.

So while it may be unfair, I cannot but help conflate the people who demand I believe death threats exist through hearsay, are also the same people calling people "being obsessed" for actually having the evidence to prove things.

On another note Ellis credited and thanked D'angelo Wallace in another video, and Wallace is pretty much the king of presenting hours of receipts when discussing internet drama. Which makes her fans yelling at people for collecting evidence very damning of their character and bias

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
It's annoying talking to people who are both participants in the tone policing Hitler comic. Do the unreleased death threats trump the broad generalisations of anyone complaining being a chud in disguise? Is this the one white woman whose opinion is above the PoCs she keeps telling me to listen to? Defending YouTube critics seems extremely confusing.

Breetai posted:

Weird Al did this regarding the use of the word "spastic" as a pejorative in a song, and everyone basically said "okay" and moved on.

Did he even try to write, record and edit a 1hr 40m video essay about why he was right to use the word? Where am I supposed to comment my "this is a kiwifarms false flag attack" theory???

\/\/\/ the Bob video but Weird Al's revealing the text of Donald Trump Jr's TRIGGERED

Douche Wolf 89 has a new favorite as of 05:58 on Apr 16, 2021

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Did he even try to write, record and edit a 1hr 40m video essay about why he was right to use the word? Where am I supposed to comment my "this is a kiwifarms false flag attack" theory???

Well Word Crimes goes for about three and three quarter minutes, so you can play it 26 times and have most of an hour 40 minutes. The rest can be filled with still shots of his apology tweet in any place you want.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Read After Burning posted:

Yeah, people are bringing up how she (seemingly randomly) in her video brought up times she's been sexually assaulted in her life, and people are like "Okay, what does that have to do with you tweeting a dumb take and then doubling down?"

I'm not going to defend everything Ellis said or did (because she definitely stuck her foot in her mouth and probably would have just been better off deleting the original tweet when it started blowing up), but this is a point I don't want to let just slide by. If you watch the video she brings up the sexual assault for a very specific reason. A big chunk of the video is dedicated to her going through a "greatest hits" of hot takes and other things people attack her over. The last one she brings up (timestamped link to the part of the video where she talks about it; content warning: rape/sexual assault) is a video from 2009 called the "Rape Rap". Her bringing up her personal experience being sexually assaulted is to provide the necessary context for what that video was, why it was made, and how it became public. She explains how traumatic the experience of being assaulted just a few years earlier was and how it took her a while to start processing it. The video in question was filmed while she was workshopping some skits for her video show (back when those were a staple of her videos) and how the "rap" in question just kind of came up as a natural part of their experimentation. Lindsay found it very cathartic to be able to process her experience through the lens of comedy which is why she saved the video. Unfortunately for her, she forgot that she had set up her computer to automatically upload every video she saved to Channel Awesome (but not publish it) and (according to her) one time when she was late in getting a video to Channel Awesome they decided to just publish that video instead without consulting her (and I do believe her on this because it tracks with how incredibly petty CA staff were). She never intended it to be public but people are still attacking her over it to this day and sending it to everyone who associates with her.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

hooman posted:

I couldn’t tell you, in all honesty. Like I’m truly put off as a now, I guess, former fan, of her inability to loving have a come to Jesus moment and apologize without the “but I’m the victim and here’s my “longer than the Shawshank Redemption” video explaining why”

People gently caress up all the time, constantly, Twitter and social media skip the “do you want to think about this before expressing it?” check people have. I get it. I post on something awful. I’ve seen some impressively boneheaded statements. I’ve probably made a few.

But if she had taken a step back and thought “hm this isn’t going well perhaps the problem is with what I said, how do other people seem to be reading it? Perhaps I should take it into account”, taken that L and apologized way earlier, I’d still likely be a fan.

However since she chose this method of addressing a problem, she certainly lost me permanently because seems there’s a whole other host of crap she’s pulled that I wasn’t aware of that’s now come to light (as did Jenny Nicholson, holy poo poo girl).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxo2RuLgWHU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The whole thing can be summed up as this:

She blamed the entire situation on people taking the worst possible interpretation of her tweet intentionally (that it had a racist undertone). So then she spends 100 minutes doing the exact same in return (claiming it was all bad faith criticism and only from white people virtue signaling for woke clout).

She ends with "I'm not hurt by this at all and no one actually cared about the tweet. Congratulations, you made me stop giving a gently caress". The self awareness to admit you're in such a position of privilege that you can piss off the entire internet and not be affected sure is a good conclusion Lindsay.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Defending YouTube critics seems extremely confusing.

the most incredible thing is the person who yelled at me for wanting to see death threat receipts would later reveal they never watch lindsay ellis anyway

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Thank you for further context, that actually clarifies a bit. :) Genuinely appreciate it.

My partner was into the whole Channel Awesome thing in high school (namely Nostalgia Critic), but grew out of it due to, to summarize his words, "realizing that screeching a lot and feigning getting super worked up about dumb movies isn't as funny" as he thought. Hearing that there was some apparent insidious poo poo going on behind the scenes shocked him a bit.
Is there a good, reasoned summary (either here on SA or elsewhere) of that whole poo poo situation you could point me to? I've tried to look a time or two, but all I could find was 4chan-esque "Encyclopedia Dramatica" type poo poo. I know some basics (I think one guy was an abuser/pedo that folks may have been trying to cover for?) but not how, for example, Ellis was involved.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

teen witch posted:

However since she chose this method of addressing a problem, she certainly lost me permanently because seems there’s a whole other host of crap she’s pulled that I wasn’t aware of that’s now come to light (as did Jenny Nicholson, holy poo poo girl).
Oh no, Nicholson's got skeletons too?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

mng posted:

Twitter is such a flaming garbage heap. And it's armed with pitch forks.

It's worse than Tumblr ever was at it's nadir.

Edit: or, at least, equivalent.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mr.Radar posted:

A big chunk of the video is dedicated to her going through a "greatest hits" of hot takes and other things people attack her over.

AKA deflecting from the current issue and justifying everything people criticize her for to pad her credibility in this issue. Even in the cases she may have a point, it's in service of a manipulation tactic.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr.Radar posted:

If you watch the video
i absolutely refuse to do this

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm so glad I'm not a content creator or a twitter superstar. They always end up going supernova over something completely avoidable.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

teen witch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxo2RuLgWHU

Yeah what are the skeletons for Jenny? I'd mostly ask just because she has a different awful social media issue where there's a group of weird stalkers who keep passing around photoshopped tweets to try and get her in trouble. Or try to make her look like a sincere cannibal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

hooman posted:

Because they know they’re not a bad person who does bad things. Even if they know that good people can gently caress up it still feels like it means they’re a bad person.