Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Norns posted:

Break his spikes when they are white. Make it a priority.

Breaking them knocks him down every time, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Go with Lance and laugh at everything he does.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

E: That talisman was insane. It had like +13 Dragon Attack and something else relevant. I did a LOT of the bugged coal quest for charms.

Meld all those trash talismans, get better ones! That's how I got my best charms in MHGUd: melding the trash charms from the Brachy sub quest - which may be late G-rank, don't remember.

I got a god charm at some point: Expert +10 OOO and a pretty good bowgun charm too.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

wuggles posted:

I’m more likely to whiff on the divebomb than I am on my third flyby tbh

I mean, 3 flybys is better then 2 and a whiffed dive for sure, but my point was more that you don't always have to go for 2 or 3 flybys.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Oldstench posted:

Any of you World vets have any Nergigante advice? Moving to HH I was able to get both his horns off, but man - I just can't kill this fucker.

If you are talking about the story quest, once he heads back to his hidey hole and falls asleep, he won't leave and also will fall back asleep.

You can cheese the fight from that point by bombing him and running away. Travel back to camp, get 2 more bombs, run back and repeat until dead.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Batterypowered7 posted:

People talking about GU got me wanting to play it again. Maybe I will after all my friends get tired of Rise. I had a very good High Rank SnS set and I barely got into G-Rank, so it'd be a lot of fun to improve on all of my sets.

E: That talisman was insane. It had like +13 Dragon Attack and something else relevant. I did a LOT of the bugged coal quest for charms.

it's pretty clunky in comparison to rise in some respects but i'll still absolutely recommend mhgu to people when it goes on sale for 20 bucks. has an absurd shitload of content to work through, and funnily enough experience with rise might prepare someone more for mhgu than world might have.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

PoptartsNinja posted:

To be fair, Hammer pays a little for Impact Crater by forcing you to use Side Smash until HR6.

I think I used impact crater and the other one basically as my main damage until I switched to gl in hr 5 or whatever

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

mdct posted:

It's loving terrible. It's not even got good action in it despite Donnie Yen, who also never actually gets to say a real sentence in the entire movie. It's not even good military propaganda because they all die and like, quick. It somehow has product placement and some awful white savior poo poo, too.
It disrespects pretty much every aspect of the series.

This is from two pages back but loving lol. It was Tony Jaa. I know they're both Asian martial artists/actors, but come on.

Also the movie was pretty bad. The parts that were clearly filmed by the B-Unit and not the A-Paul-W-S-Anderson-"That's-My-Wife"-Unit were really entertaining and goofy, and they really made me want an over-the-top, live-action-anime-style Monster Hunter movie, instead of the phoned-in crap we got. It was also needlessly gory in that all the military folks from the beginning of the film die in horrible ways, when they could have just been left behind in our world to let Milla Jovovich's character be ~special~ and do wild monhun stuff.

The palico scenes were lovingly rendered, as were the monsters themselves, at least.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

v1ld posted:

So annoying how a few sites have done whatever search engine optimization tricks they needed to make Google pretty loving useless to search for stuff on this game.

Unless you explicitly specify reddit or gamefaqs or whatever to limit that cruft, but that defeats half the reason to search - to get that odd blog post or whatever on the topic.

Wish Google had a search filter that let me explicitly block results from sites. Time to check if there's a plugin for that I guess.

Are game8 and gamewithin or whatever just as annoying for other games?

Don't mind that they exist, do mind that they clog up search results so much.

if you add - it'll exclude all results with that keyword, and if you use * it'll look for that phrase in the middle of the word.

So if you're searching for monster hunter stuff, and you don't want fextralife links, you can just type your search word and then -*fextralife*

You need two asterisks, because wild cards only work up to, or from the asterisk.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Boba Pearl posted:

if you add - it'll exclude all results with that keyword, and if you use * it'll look for that phrase in the middle of the word.

So if you're searching for monster hunter stuff, and you don't want fextralife links, you can just type your search word and then -*fextralife*

You need two asterisks, because wild cards only work up to, or from the asterisk.

"fextralife" always makes me think it's some sort of fetish site.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

This is from two pages back but loving lol. It was Tony Jaa. I know they're both Asian martial artists/actors, but come on.

Also the movie was pretty bad. The parts that were clearly filmed by the B-Unit and not the A-Paul-W-S-Anderson-"That's-My-Wife"-Unit were really entertaining and goofy, and they really made me want an over-the-top, live-action-anime-style Monster Hunter movie, instead of the phoned-in crap we got. It was also needlessly gory in that all the military folks from the beginning of the film die in horrible ways, when they could have just been left behind in our world to let Milla Jovovich's character be ~special~ and do wild monhun stuff.

The palico scenes were lovingly rendered, as were the monsters themselves, at least.

ah gently caress that's definitely on me, that's embarrassing, whoops

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
https://mhrise.kiranico.com/

bookmark this or whatever, it's a website that has info on like every monhun game and also I'm pretty sure it like never shows up on google searches

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Guys it me Chameleos

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Come on down to Switch Axe we've got:
-everything's an explosion
-except for stuff that's multiple explosions
-wh40k-rear end weapons
-unga bunga on the controls
-zero fucks given discharge
-get to/have to wear robot cat ears

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I've got Magnamalo hunts down to sub-7 minutes, and that's even with the slow spawn and having to change locales once. Gotta say though, I have NO idea what I'm doing so differently that lets this guy Im seeing do this fight in 2:50. His build is different from mine, but I feel like I should be doing...more damage than him? He has Ammo Up 3 which gives him a single more Sticky3 and Slice shot, but with fastest reload that doesn't seem like it would make a difference, especially when instead of that I have Weakness Exploit 2 and Crit Boost 2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMHLrJ_CuBk

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Saint Freak posted:

-get to/have to wear robot cat ears

Which piece is this?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

How many of you fully bird up before reaching the target monster? I'm honestly kind of lazy about it and just pick up whatever is along the main road or the most direct shortcuts, and then just whatever I run into when the monster moves. The bird gathering is one thing I'm not too fond of, though I do get their value for sign posting. If they didn't have the attack birds I might mind it less.

Huxley posted:

Which piece is this?

Almudron head for female characters. It has two points of rapid morph so it's pretty standard in baby's first switch axe and possibly also CB HR set.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

chumbler posted:

How many of you fully bird up before reaching the target monster?

I barely bother with it. i'll grab it if it's on my path but I don't go out of my way to grab them.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

chumbler posted:

How many of you fully bird up before reaching the target monster? I'm honestly kind of lazy about it and just pick up whatever is along the main road or the most direct shortcuts, and then just whatever I run into when the monster moves. The bird gathering is one thing I'm not too fond of, though I do get their value for sign posting. If they didn't have the attack birds I might mind it less.

I always run with a palico in multiplayer so I'm always wirebugging my way around, and since I go more vertical than my doggo-riding counterparts I tend to meander around grabbing birds on the way. I'd really like to come up with some standardized routes the way gaijin hunter apparently did, but I really enjoy the wirebug mechanics and the verticality of the spaces so I don't mind being slower.

Here's the video for his Demon Petalace III routes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Ch4Oqn8Ec

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Oldstench posted:

Any of you World vets have any Nergigante advice? Moving to HH I was able to get both his horns off, but man - I just can't kill this fucker.

Monster Hunter Philippines Elites has a bunch of videos on evasion (Artful Dodger), including one specifically for Arch-Tempered Nergigante. Most of that is applicable to regular Nerg.

Though before that, their video on the Hunting Horn "Battle Dance" is excellent for general Horn combat flow and decision making, and watching it will probably be enough to help you deal with Nerg and most other tricky early-game monsters:

https://youtu.be/BAuV5J9JSv4

This is one of the best MHW videos ever made, IMO. An excellent breakdown of MHW combat with Hunting Horn, and back-and-forth MH combat in general.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Junkie Disease posted:

Guys it me Chameleos

hello would you like to be worn by my cat

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I've got Magnamalo hunts down to sub-7 minutes, and that's even with the slow spawn and having to change locales once. Gotta say though, I have NO idea what I'm doing so differently that lets this guy Im seeing do this fight in 2:50. His build is different from mine, but I feel like I should be doing...more damage than him? He has Ammo Up 3 which gives him a single more Sticky3 and Slice shot, but with fastest reload that doesn't seem like it would make a difference, especially when instead of that I have Weakness Exploit 2 and Crit Boost 2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMHLrJ_CuBk

Hard to say since I don't know your build and I can't read french, but there's a couple of possibilities

1) they proc spare shot a lot
2) they have their ammo set up so they spend minimal time swapping after KOs
3) I think they ate for felyne bombardier but maybe not booster or temper? I heard it was bugged and not increasing sticky damage but I haven't tested it out and maybe there's just a sticky damage cap like in world. Didn't see any words that looked like weakener in their food buffs but again, can't read french
4) Ate a might seed and demon powder before the fight and it lasted less than 3 minutes so the buffs were up the whole time
5) They using the silencer mod on their LBG, are you using long barrel or silencer?
6) they use the mines to good effect and have one point in special ammo boost
7) I don't know how many points you have in artillery because the magna LBG is so versatile in its ammo table but they use 3 points to focus on stickies and use slicing over spread 3 as the back up ammo during KOs so they don't have to worry about critical distance at all and the lack of WEX doesn't matter

Also that extra sticky 3 clip size makes a huge difference, if you have a clip size of one, you're pretty much autoload at that point

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 18, 2021

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Man what happened to Tony Jaa anyways, dude was gonna be the next Jackie Chan 10 years ago and now he's doing bad movie tie ins and made for TV poo poo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

he took his elephant and went to hang out at a monastery for a while

e: in case you think i'm joking; https://www.filmbuffonline.com/FBOLNewsreel/wordpress/2010/06/01/tony-jaa-retreats-to-buddhist-monastery

it's pretty normal in thailand to just take vows for the rainy season and then disrobe when that's over - it isn't usually a lifelong commitment. i've no idea how long he was a monk

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 18, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Hard to say since I don't know your build and I can't read french, but there's a couple of possibilities

Pretty much all of this is stuff I'd considered (trimming my inventory to just the ammo I need, etc). I just tried another hunt and got REALLY low, down to 5:50, and that's with the farthest possible spawn which adds a full minute AND forgetting demondrug and might seed. But, is that enough to shave two full minutes? Maybe?

I honestly think the x-factor is two things. One is that Felyne paralysis he gets JUST as the monster is about to leave, which prevents it from changing zones and is another free session of slicing, which he chains into the final trap for a capture. Totally impossible to recreate. I started running two Felyn with Ailment Boost and paralysis weapons just to hope for it. I ended up getting the same paralysis, but it would have been at like, the 5:10 min mark, way too late for a 2:57, so I have NO idea what the RNG is on that happening. Secondly is I think he MUST have eaten for Weakener. In almost all my hunts, by the time it's cappable I'm basically out of ammo, but he's still sitting on a pretty sizable stock. Again, our attacks are doing like, the same damage. His monster must have a super low HP roll on that particular run

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
If you're reloading, you aren't shooting.

Also I'm not sure how much of your shots are sticky vs slice, but WEX and CB do nothing for sticky.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Aranan posted:

If you're reloading, you aren't shooting.

Also I'm not sure how much of your shots are sticky vs slice, but WEX and CB do nothing for sticky.

I am suspecting that Slicing are unable to crit as well, just looking at damage consistency of my hits

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

3) I think they ate for felyne bombardier but maybe not booster or temper? I heard it was bugged and not increasing sticky damage but I haven't tested it out and maybe there's just a sticky damage cap like in world.

Dango Bombardier is indeed bugged.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The thing to know about MonHun speedrunning is that there are 500 hunts you didn't see before that video.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

PoptartsNinja posted:

Dango Bombardier is indeed bugged.

Explain

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

In Training posted:

The thing to know about MonHun speedrunning is that there are 500 hunts you didn't see before that video.

Watching people like Phemto stream makes this very apparent. It also makes me feel much better about myself as a hunter

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Norns posted:

Explain

It's probably not increasing Sticky damage like it should.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Norns posted:

Explain

It doesn't increase Sticky 3 damage, at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdWjvwv5-kE

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

gently caress that sucks

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Norns posted:

Explain

It should be increasing sticky ammo damage but it doesn't

E: whoops beaten while I was hunting

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
It's not LBG (HBG instead) and he doesn't bring palicos/palamutes so no pet status effects, but from what I've seen of Phemento's TA attempts, the <3min Dango loadout is Temper/Booster/Marksman.

I'm guessing sticky/slicing drops Marksman for Slugger.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Phemto also has cheated-in talismans. The guy whose video I linked for-sure doesn't or his build would be better, but I think you could DEFINITELY cut that time by a reasonable amount if you did what Phemto does. Like, if I got an AmmoBoost2/SpareShot2 charm with 2 slots, I'd be able to either bring Attack Boost from 4 to 7 or do Peak Performance 3. Like, I use at LEAST 60 slicing ammo per fight plus Spare Shot freebies, and thats x3 hits per shot, so even if I was doing 2 more damage per hit that's 360 damage over the course of the fight, so as much as he tries to say "you can still get fast times without cheated decos so this isnt a big deal," it's still a significant difference if you're trying to match times

Anyways, I got a 5:20, which is really good considering there's more than a full minute of running to the slower location and then back when it moves. So, I think reasonably, that would end up as like a 4:15~? But drat, cutting another full minute seems nuts. The thing about bowguns is that the runs are pretty consistent - before switching builds I was getting like 7:00 every time. I just have no idea where that full minute comes from.

If I wanted to spend a little bit of time I could actually make the build better, but I'd have to grind out another Ammo Up deco plus the Jyutaros armor and it'd only give me room for a single Attack Up deco. Again, I could REALLY buff up the build if I had a better talisman, but alas. The one I'm using right now has no usefull skill on it but two Attack 2 decos

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 18, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

After much experimentation I finally found a way to go back to previous monster hunter games and still enjoy them after having played Rise.
It’s called The Insect Glaive

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Pretty much all of this is stuff I'd considered (trimming my inventory to just the ammo I need, etc). I just tried another hunt and got REALLY low, down to 5:50, and that's with the farthest possible spawn which adds a full minute AND forgetting demondrug and might seed. But, is that enough to shave two full minutes? Maybe?

I honestly think the x-factor is two things. One is that Felyne paralysis he gets JUST as the monster is about to leave, which prevents it from changing zones and is another free session of slicing, which he chains into the final trap for a capture. Totally impossible to recreate. I started running two Felyn with Ailment Boost and paralysis weapons just to hope for it. I ended up getting the same paralysis, but it would have been at like, the 5:10 min mark, way too late for a 2:57, so I have NO idea what the RNG is on that happening. Secondly is I think he MUST have eaten for Weakener. In almost all my hunts, by the time it's cappable I'm basically out of ammo, but he's still sitting on a pretty sizable stock. Again, our attacks are doing like, the same damage. His monster must have a super low HP roll on that particular run

If weakener is like how it worked in world, it reduces the monster HP to 90% of the median value which wouldn't entirely account for the huge difference. Google translate says their second and third food skills are "immovable" (no idea what this is but doesn't sound like weakener) and "shooter" (marksman?)

I think you're really underrating how important ammo up is for small clip sizes. Its the reason why in world, even though the Rajang HBG had way more raw than the Furious Rajang HBG, the latter still posted much better clear times for sticky builds because you spent less time reloading and just shot out all your ammo quicker. Arguably, it's even more important in Rise because you stupidly can't craft ammo while reloading anymore so the time is wasted even more. The runner just spent less time reloading, got a lot of spare shot procs ( I counted 4 in a row for slicing at least twice), and landed all their slicing shots in spots with good hit zone values. They also know how many stickies they need for each KO so they're already switching to slicing before magnamalo falls over so they're not wasting any of their sticky ammo either since you can't build up more KO while they're already KOed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

They also know how many stickies they need for each KO so they're already switching to slicing before magnamalo falls over so they're not wasting any of their sticky ammo either since you can't build up more KO while they're already KOed.

This isn't necessarily true, as they definitely don't always use the exact sticky amount. Like, if you just look at the first KO, he shoots out four stickies when it only takes two. Also, even though you can't craft while reloading, you can craft while placing landmines, which we both do.

The main reason I thought Ammo Up wouldn't be as useful as more damage is just because of how few you need to shoot. Having a way larger clip size is more important when you're firing a large volume of ammo, and less important when you're only firing maybe 30~ stickies in the entire fight. Like I said, squeezing even 2 more damage out of a Slice is 360 damage - now imagine I'm critting every hit for +40% more damage, turning 28x3 slicing into 39x3. That's an insane increase. In my mind, that's WAY better than +1 ammo capacity on sticky ammo. The actual issue is that I was just wrong about Slicing ammo being able to crit, which it can't, so yeah then obviously Ammo Up is the next best thing.

e: I should have assumed this was the way it worked because otherwise slicing would be insanely OP. You could probably do sub 2:30 if you could crit

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 18, 2021