Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m pretty sure at least Phantom Menace had a couple motion-control shots. They also got some of the veterans back to do a single motion-control shot of the Razor Crest in season 1.
The initial plan was a single motion-controlled Razor Crest shot, but once they built the thing they kept adding shots until eventually there were about 15 in the first season, and I think even more in the second? The BTS stuff around that is some of my favorite to come out from Mando, precisely because it let some of the old ILM hands go back to their roots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Everyone posted:

Even if the copyright on MM expires, the trademark does not. So, sure, in 2023-2024 whatever you can now legally write your Mickey Mouse/H. P. Lovecraft magnum opus and sell it. But you can't you any visuals of the Mouse to sell it because it's still a trademark that is in use. At least that's the way I understand it.

Would a trademark not require that it's drawn in a specific way? And that anything visually distinct from it wouldn't be objectionable? So Mickey drawn in that very specific Disney style would be trademarked, but Mickey drawn with more realistic proportions with 4 fingers instead of 3 and wearing different clothes or whatever wouldn't be?

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

tsob posted:

Would a trademark not require that it's drawn in a specific way? And that anything visually distinct from it wouldn't be objectionable? So Mickey drawn in that very specific Disney style would be trademarked, but Mickey drawn with more realistic proportions with 4 fingers instead of 3 and wearing different clothes or whatever wouldn't be?

Bad time to reveal your OC Muckey Mouse.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

tsob posted:

I imagine you're right. That's how it goes with Disney's other public domain trademarks like the Jungle Book and Cinderella.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
A droid is just a talking machine who cares if you break one, build another one

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

howe_sam posted:

The initial plan was a single motion-controlled Razor Crest shot, but once they built the thing they kept adding shots until eventually there were about 15 in the first season, and I think even more in the second? The BTS stuff around that is some of my favorite to come out from Mando, precisely because it let some of the old ILM hands go back to their roots.

That's really cool, I didn't know they did motion control stuff with the Razor Crest! I'd love to read/see more about that.

When I posted my question I meant to ask about the specific models... I'd heard before that there had been some motion control stuff for the prequels, but I was curious if Star Tours was the last hurrah for the physical X-Wing model.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That's really cool, I didn't know they did motion control stuff with the Razor Crest! I'd love to read/see more about that.

Here's the official ILM doc about motion controlled Razor Crest they put out after the first season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YuaIwVbEZo

And here's a half hour of Adam Savage talking to John Knoll and John Goodson about the same thing on Zoom shortly before the second season premiered. You can practically see Adam vibrate with how giddy he is to be talking about ILM making models and doing motion-controlled shots again -- Adam, of course, worked with these guys on Phantom Menace and AotC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtGAiEQEIXE

Veotax
May 16, 2006

When I posted my question I meant to ask about the specific models... I'd heard before that there had been some motion control stuff for the prequels, but I was curious if Star Tours was the last hurrah for the physical X-Wing model.

Moff Gidion's cruiser from Season 2 is also motion control model shots, maybe not every one but I'd bet that most of the shots are model work since the thing isn't zooming around in action scenes like the Razor Crest did from time to time.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Veotax posted:

Moff Gidion's cruiser from Season 2 is also motion control model shots, maybe not every one but I'd bet that most of the shots are model work since the thing isn't zooming around in action scenes like the Razor Crest did from time to time.

Yep:

Not the biggest model, but you could barely tell in the show itself

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/ComicBook/status/1383597807647428611

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

The X-Wing(s) from the heist episode in season one was a full scale model that they used for filming, and then flew it to Orlando where it now resides on display at the Resistance base in Galaxy’s Edge.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeeeeesssss

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Good. In addition to just having another great director work on the show, it’ll be fun just to watch clickbait chud heads explode trying to explain away their mortal nemesis’s involvement in their golden child show.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Cross-Section posted:

Yep:

I really hope that means Din is gonna be balling in his new slightly used cruiser

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Spookydonut posted:

I really hope that means Din is gonna be balling in his new slightly used cruiser

I suspect that he's going to turn that over to Bo-Katan to use in The War and maybe get a ship that can be run by one person instead of needing hundreds or thousands (or at least dozens).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I have long said that Rian is going to give this show it’s very own Ozymandias, and Star Wars Fans are going to rend themselves inside out to give it a Completely Objective 0/10 because the bad man who made the movie they didn’t like directed it.

Bring it on.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What's the biggest ship in Star Wars that can be piloted by one person (and maybe a mute, telekinetic child?)

Like if I was taking a stroll along the shore and came across a nuclear submarine that had a "Free to Take!" sign that'd be cool but I'd still need a whole crew to use it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lobok posted:

What's the biggest ship in Star Wars that can be piloted by one person (and maybe a mute, telekinetic child?)

Like if I was taking a stroll along the shore and came across a nuclear submarine that had a "Free to Take!" sign that'd be cool but I'd still need a whole crew to use it.

“By one person” is kind of a broad category, especially with the aide of droids involved. One of my favourite now non-canon details from the old EU was that Bossk’s ship, the Hound’s Tooth, was actually way too big to be crewed by just him, so he basically ripped the brain out of an astromech droid and hardwired it into like half its systems so he didn’t need a crew with him.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cross-Section posted:

Yep:

I have no idea why beyond the extra thrusters, but that model "feels" twice as big as the ship in Rebels.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

I have long said that Rian is going to give this show it’s very own Ozymandias, and Star Wars Fans are going to rend themselves inside out to give it a Completely Objective 0/10 because the bad man who made the movie they didn’t like directed it.

Bring it on.

Best part is, there's a very real chance that we don't actually know Rian's directing until the credits roll. I can very much imagine the bolded happening if it's an especially banger ep.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Arquinsiel posted:

I have no idea why beyond the extra thrusters, but that model "feels" twice as big as the ship in Rebels.

There is definitely what feels like a change in scale. If only because in Rebels, the ship had to carry TIE interceptors in the gap in the "mandible" and had no internal hangar:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

nine-gear crow posted:

Bring it on.

It's an amazing thing to have a TV show one loves and to wait in spiteful anticipation for an episode to hate.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Lobok posted:

It's an amazing thing to have a TV show one loves and to wait in spiteful anticipation for an episode to hate.

The real Death Star was the Star Wars fans we met along the way.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Galaga Galaxian posted:

There is definitely what feels like a change in scale. If only because in Rebels, the ship had to carry TIE interceptors in the gap in the "mandible" and had no internal hangar:

The bridge stood out as different and bigger to me immediately and I assumed that was because it's the "command" version, but looking at the pictures you've got there, the flat horizontal plane in the middle is two decks high in Rebels, and four decks high in The Mandalorian. That's a much beefier ship, so to maintain the proportions it's gotta be way wider and longer too.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Lobok posted:

Because inventing things that haven't happened yet and commenting on them like they're the truth is more normal?

I didn't like TLJ but that doesn't make me a chud, and if Rian does direct an episode then great, I look forward to it

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Butterfly Valley posted:

I didn't like TLJ but that doesn't make me a chud

No one said it did. Those posts were making light of the kinds of angry incel fanboys who’ve been frothing at the mouth about Rian, Kathleen Kennedy, and women in general on YouTube and the like for the last four years and act like The Mandalorian is some miracle “*~true Star Wars~*” brought about solely by Favreau and Filoni.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Butterfly Valley posted:

Because inventing things that haven't happened yet and commenting on them like they're the truth is more normal?

I didn't like TLJ but that doesn't make me a chud, and if Rian does direct an episode then great, I look forward to it

I didn't say you were a chud, geez. Maybe SA is mostly and thankfully free of it but some of the hated and vitriol out there is wild.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Lobok posted:

I didn't say you were a chud, geez.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

No one said it did.

Not this time, but there has been that trotted out before itt where disliking TLJ gets people equated with the lunatic nazi element.

My main point though is it's just a rumour at this point and making comments in the present tense about totally imagined scenarios is pretty weird.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Lobok posted:

If all you're planning on doing is getting underway, you only need a handful of people. Two thirds of the crew is there to be off duty at any given time. Then you have all of the support roles that you don't need (Do you NEED cooks? You probably can't be ship's surgeon anyhow.). Officers are pretty redundant when you're just yelling at yourself. There's not a whole lot of people involved when all you want to do is 1) make sure reactor is reacting, 2) the screws are turning, and 3) point the boat in the direction you want it to go.

Curiously, I've never heard anyone claim that the six or so guys driving the Red October was unrealistic and it seems like that would be an obvious thing to pick at.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Lobok posted:

If you don't mind delving into the old EU (now Legends) it's be one of the Katana Fleet Dreadnoughts. These were super automated and able to be commanded by as little as one person and there was a whole fleet of them linked together on one command net...which was a problem when the admiral in charge went insane from a bioweapon and took the whole fleet on a blind hyperspace jump to nowhere.

So arguably a Dreadnought or technically two hundred of them. :shrug:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

No one said it did. Those posts were making light of the kinds of angry incel fanboys who’ve been frothing at the mouth about Rian, Kathleen Kennedy, and women in general on YouTube and the like for the last four years and act like The Mandalorian is some miracle “*~true Star Wars~*” brought about solely by Favreau and Filoni.

Yeah. I bet the Fandom Menaces goofs will have multiple videos in the week.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

nine-gear crow posted:

Bring it on.

Or The Fly, which is good but divisive and hey I think we've been here before.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I really think “Fly” only gets a bad rap because it’s a character-focused bottle episode that came right when the larger plot for that season had started to accelerate. I can kinda understand that being frustrating when it aired, but on rewatch it’s clearly one of Breaking Bad’s best episodes.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Breaking Bad largely plotted like a well poised Rube Golberg machine. Rian's The Fly felt like it was interrupting that but was actually just the machine doing a cool trick.
The sequel trilogy was like the Rube Golberg outakes of a bro youtuber attempt. Mando is one of their sons playing with cowboy toys in the corner of the warehouse who has made peace with neglect.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Given the standalone nature of a fair few Mando episodes, letting Rian write one should be interesting

At least he's not screwing up a 40-year-long legacy, right?

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Hazo posted:

The X-Wing(s) from the heist episode in season one was a full scale model that they used for filming, and then flew it to Orlando where it now resides on display at the Resistance base in Galaxy’s Edge.

Nah, the X-Wings in Mandalorian were the old school 4-engine kind, that's the Sequel trilogy two half-engine model.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I believe they made several full scale or partial full scale (ie cockpit and nose only) OT-era T-65 X-Wings for Rogue One that have probably been reused in other projects. One of the very first leaks for Rogue One was also a full-scale X-Wing wreck painted in Saw’s Partisans scheme that apparently had its scene cut from the movie.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

If I remember the BTS material correctly, they used the cockpit from the Galaxy's Edge model for the actors to sit in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

jng2058 posted:

If you don't mind delving into the old EU (now Legends) it's be one of the Katana Fleet Dreadnoughts. These were super automated and able to be commanded by as little as one person and there was a whole fleet of them linked together on one command net...which was a problem when the admiral in charge went insane from a bioweapon and took the whole fleet on a blind hyperspace jump to nowhere.

So arguably a Dreadnought or technically two hundred of them. :shrug:

They still need a strong smattering of technical and repair skills for long term operation, see outbound flight for similar dreadnoughts with similar levels of automation but needed skilled labor.

But yeah for short term operation and executing a random hyperspace jump with 200 ships it only took one person.