Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
The local grocery store had a sale on red jalapenos a few months back so I made sriracha which was pretty drat good. Not too hot for my little babby tastebuds but I might throw in some hotter chilis next time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

if we're doing hot sauce chat

my new favorite is marie sharp's Belizean Heat. super fresh and bright tasting with fruitiness from the habs, carrots and lime. if you can call any hot sauce "refreshing" it's this one

the Puckerbutt Bad Apple is really good too. apple, pineapple and a bit of cinnamon so it's great with pork

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Crusty Nutsack posted:

if we're doing hot sauce chat

my new favorite is marie sharp's Belizean Heat. super fresh and bright tasting with fruitiness from the habs, carrots and lime. if you can call any hot sauce "refreshing" it's this one

the Puckerbutt Bad Apple is really good too. apple, pineapple and a bit of cinnamon so it's great with pork

I'm a big fan of Marie Sharps as well, they tend to demand quite a premium here for whatever reason but they're an excellent choice for a sauce with a very diverse flavor profile that still keeps some heat. Belizean heat is what I usually get

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I might have to make another hot sauce for some reason I didn't realize you could like add fruit and poo poo to it but then again I'm an idiot

I'm addicted to chili oils now though although they use szechuan peppercorn which is a different kind of hot

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I need to get back to making my own but I have been cut off from my source of endless hot peppers thanks to the pandemic. I was always a big fan of pureeing a bunch with garlic and whatever else and then infusing it into vinegar, though if I ever get my hands on a big pile of my favorite hot peppers (fatalii habaneros) I'll make them into a proper puree

Almost about to run out of trinidad scorpion powder as well from the local source, and I can confirm the poo poo you order off Amazon is a joke

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I always do lacto fermentation for hot sauce but I love that fermented sour flavor

I can destroy a jar of kimchi

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I think I'm a bit deviant in that I prefer sauerkraut to kimchi :/

I like kimchi but if I have a big jar of both I end up using the kraut more because I'm weird about textures and its consistency means I can pile it on loads more stuff

This would probably change if I had a kimchi fridge and could keep it stored properly

Of course it helps that it isnt hard to find proper kraut now that is spiced up like kimchi is so I'm not missing out on that. Death to all pasteurized fermented goods

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Local pizza joint had a bottle of Bobby’s Boat Sauce in the tub o” sauces a while back. It’s local (PNW)! Quite a mix of flavors and heat, with a strong dose of fishy flavor. Good on a pizza crust, but it’s like all the flavors get turned on when you put it on a fried egg. Great on a hard boiled or deviled egg, too.

https://bobbiesboatsauce.com/

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
exact same bottle as the GOAT of hot sauces, Secret Aardvark and made in portland too? :thunk:

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
This may be the most Portland sentence I’ll ever write: I grabbed a bottle of secret aardvark at pizza schmizza thinking it was the habanero sauce from hot lips pizza and poured it with a heavy hand. I realized my mistake too late. it was a rough 10 minutes or so.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

fischtick posted:

This may be the most Portland sentence I’ll ever write: I grabbed a bottle of secret aardvark at pizza schmizza thinking it was the habanero sauce from hot lips pizza and poured it with a heavy hand. I realized my mistake too late. it was a rough 10 minutes or so.

Speak English!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The knockoff BADIA Sriracha sauce is better than the brand name version and I'll fight to the death over that.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

mediterranean medley plate

lamb kofta, roasted eggplant, horiatiki, homemade tzatziki, hummus (I should learn to make this)

super easy to make (swap the kofta for chicken and it's even easier), tasty, and maybe healthy underneath all the oil and cheese

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

everyone is terrible

https://twitter.com/LeftismShark/status/1383804656426520578

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It does boil the blood to the point where I must willfully make myself believe this is ignorance and not laziness.
I mean who's the leftist who has never heard of a loving root cellar
how do they think people survived before refrigeration?
We have it so goddamned easy even living in the middle of nowhere you can get fresh fruits, vegetables, and meat
unless you're eating nothing but handfuls of parsley and pre-cut lettuce how the gently caress can you not keep a crisper/freezer stocked full of actual food

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

how do they think people survived before refrigeration?

https://twitter.com/clarissson/status/1383871177328762881

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

I kinda feel like the Oreos and smart food would last longer in their original packaging.

Also I recognize that Safeway bread. It’s $1.49 a loaf regular price. When it goes on sale I fill a shelf of my freezer with it. cheap bread is good enough for me and my pbj.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
how about the person who made that video show their w2 and BMI for a new ridicule ratio we need to invent

what a loving awful video

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
that video is awful because she doesn't rotate anything, fifo!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Anyone have any recommendations for fish sauce/colatura di alici?

I'm trying to expand my umami arsenal and if it was good enough for the ancient Greeks/romans I figure it's good enough to start sneaking into my recipes.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for fish sauce/colatura di alici?

I'm trying to expand my umami arsenal and if it was good enough for the ancient Greeks/romans I figure it's good enough to start sneaking into my recipes.

Three Crabs

Red Boat

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

red boat is the fish sauce of choice. we discuss things like this in the gbs sardine thread

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Voice of Labor posted:

red boat is the fish sauce of choice. we discuss things like this in the gbs sardine thread

That's a very specific thread that I didn't know existed but I am intrigued.

And red boat it is.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The sardine thread has a lore deeper than most fantasy novels at this point, I wonder if that OG fisherman's eggs recipe is still in there somewhere alongside the step by step takedown of the dude who said the recipe was insane and impossible

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

that three crabs had been my goto I’ll have to try red boat too.

I like subbing fish sauce for anchovy paste. sometimes the paste doesn’t get fully mixed up that never happens with fish sauce. I basically put it in everything.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I enjoy fish sauce in the things I've used it for but haven't yet really developed the instincts for where to use it.

Unrelated, I just got a countertop steamer and it's quite fun finding out after forty-some years on this ball what vegetables actually taste like.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah what's the fish sauce equivalent of saltines for just basic thing to have it with, splash or two into a mug of hot broth?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

put fish sauce in anything you want to be meatier, saltier, umami-er, and that you think needs something else to make it taste better but you can't figure out what

it goes in my meat marinades, pasta sauces, stews, soups, dressings, every Thai and Vietnamese recipe I make, almost anything with beef...

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
A 1:1:1 fish sauce:water: sugar with some sriracha is a good sauce for like egg rolls or whatever really is pretty good

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yes but also :1 mustard powder

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

if you want some kind of fish sauce stuff to splash on whatever and that'll last forever in the fridge, just make vietnamese nuoc cham. it's a dipping sauce or salad dressing for everything: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/09/sauced-nuoc-cham-recipe.html

fish sauce, sugar, lime juice, garlic, hot peppers, water

then make yourself 1000 pounds of noodle/meat/vegetable salads to bathe in it

THS
Sep 15, 2017

made a porkchop with some salt

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Crusty Nutsack posted:

if you want some kind of fish sauce stuff to splash on whatever and that'll last forever in the fridge, just make vietnamese nuoc cham. it's a dipping sauce or salad dressing for everything: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/09/sauced-nuoc-cham-recipe.html

fish sauce, sugar, lime juice, garlic, hot peppers, water

then make yourself 1000 pounds of noodle/meat/vegetable salads to bathe in it

if you make a bunch of extra nuoc Cham, make it without the lime juice and just add some fresh lime juice to a portion right before using it

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I finally got around to making stovetop macaroni and cheese with sodium citrate and holy poo poo that's some wild food science. it actually reheats better than anything I've ever gotten at a store or from a hot food case.

It is super fun to turn a block of sharp cheddar and 3cups of water into a magical flavor goo with the magic of this wonderful powder. I highly recommend it.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I finally got around to making stovetop macaroni and cheese with sodium citrate and holy poo poo that's some wild food science. it actually reheats better than anything I've ever gotten at a store or from a hot food case.

It is super fun to turn a block of sharp cheddar and 3cups of water into a magical flavor goo with the magic of this wonderful powder. I highly recommend it.

yasssss

now go one step further and make the sauce, then fridge it into a block. slice it, then use it on some burgs for gooey cheese that actually tastes good :burger:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I wonder if that helps alfredo with old-rear end crystallized parmesan

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
whats the shelf life of sodium citrate? I've had a container for a long time

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

BraveUlysses posted:

years. I've probably had mine for a decade and it works just fine.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

As long as you keep it sealed so it can't absorb water it should last basically forever, it's stable as long as it's dry and at room temperature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

BraveUlysses posted:

forever