Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Oldstench posted:

OK glad it's not just me.

In the series' backstory, there's a colossal tower that reaches up above cloud level that was made by the First Wyverians entirely out of the steel scales of dead Kushala Daora.

The First Wyverians didn't go far enough. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Its the HR kushala tho, which you can flash spam at least. They didnt patch HR monsters to get flash resistance right?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think it's only master rank where monsters start getting flash resistance periodically after a couple. before that it's the easiest way to chump kushala.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

v1ld posted:

Finally got to watch this and it's great, the best breakdown of flow in this game I've seen. Brilliant presentation too.

Now I want to learn HH.

I'm glad it's helpful!

Horn is a great weapon. If you're playing World, the second video of that Battle Dance is specifically about Horn's basic moves and when/how to use them. That and the Song/Recital video are good stuff.

Working songs into active combat (versus doing them between fights) is where Horn gets more complex, but you can pick up on that later. The only super mandatory song to keep up is Self-improvement (increases your movement speed, attack power, and makes your attacks bounce-proof, ie free Mind's Eye).

Go beat up some slow, easy monster, like Rathian, and you can get a feel for it. Setting the song stuff aside, Horn has one of the simplest and most elegant movesets, with useful swings from different angles to easily bonk the head. It's what I wanted Hammer's moveset to be.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...
Do you get enough Great Wirebugs to activate every point or am I going to have to go through each map and carefully think about where to place them?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dartonus posted:

Do you get enough Great Wirebugs to activate every point or am I going to have to go through each map and carefully think about where to place them?

Enough for them all.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Just beat Narwa and the double Diablos to finish all the missions in Rise. First Monster Hunter I ever played all the way through and I had a pretty good time all the way around. I assume it randomly gives you a chance to fight Narwa again later for mats?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Commissar Ken posted:

Just beat Narwa and the double Diablos to finish all the missions in Rise. First Monster Hunter I ever played all the way through and I had a pretty good time all the way around. I assume it randomly gives you a chance to fight Narwa again later for mats?

you can fight her anytime you want, she's in the 7 star quest list

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Centzon Totochtin posted:

you can fight her anytime you want, she's in the 7 star quest list

I must be blind. Totally missed it. Gonna need to run that at least one more time and snag some dumb costumes for some cats.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Commissar Ken posted:

I must be blind. Totally missed it. Gonna need to run that at least one more time and snag some dumb costumes for some cats.

Once you get the hang of the fight it’s also an excellent source for parts to meld talismans with. I just put together a LBG set for it and even though I’m still missing a rapid fire talisman, I’m getting sub 9 clears with it and the build is relatively easy to put together.

I just got lucky and snagged a WEX2/Partbreaker2 talisman which let me slot in more attack boos and I’m close to reaching 7 minute clears. If I use drugs for damage and get RF I could see myself hitting 5 minutes.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
https://twitter.com/wm5gho/status/1383322387735711745?s=21

:allears: I love this game

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lmao that rules

i just did the urgent quest that unlocks four-star quests in village mode - it was that monkey-bird guy, so that is some very good timing. i really enjoyed fighting him. at one point another monster showed up and fought him for a while. i walked up and the other monster was in mount-mode, so i rode them into each other for a bit which is always fun times

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I really thought I was going to hate wyvern riding when I was playing the demo. Now I'm looking to fit a Rodeo deco into every build because I just want to smash monsters into each other over and over.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I keep getting curious because everyone and their mother is playing the game, though I feel like trying the Hunting Horn or the ranged weapons for a change because I don't see many people running with those. Are those hard weapons?

And is it possible to play ultra-casually, or is everyone just ultra-hooked into the game?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I really thought I was going to hate wyvern riding when I was playing the demo. Now I'm looking to fit a Rodeo deco into every build because I just want to smash monsters into each other over and over.

They're strong, easy to use and pretty fast, and get you extra bits. Wyvern riding is great.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

A friend of mine can be a bit of a grognard and he was afraid there was gonna just be a ton of wyvern riding cheesing bullshit, kind of like how easy it was to spam mounts in 4U. He was pleasantly surprised thst it doesn't just completely take over the game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lURWpK41lNY

i love that exhaust is such a viable thing now and that switch axe can pretty much bleed into the blunt weapon category by using an exhaust phial

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Lily Catts posted:

And is it possible to play ultra-casually, or is everyone just ultra-hooked into the game?

it's me, i'm the ultra casual player. loving this game so far, but i am not good at games and haven't put any thought into my weapons/armor other than "looks cool" and "number go up." admittedly i'm not that far in (just unlocked 4 star village quests, have done no hub quests) but i haven't had any problems so far

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there a trick to getting enough jump damage via wirebug attacks? I try to land as much of them as I can, but I’m rarely able to down and ride monsters.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Is there a trick to getting enough jump damage via wirebug attacks? I try to land as much of them as I can, but I’m rarely able to down and ride monsters.

Target monsters have higher mount damage thresholds. If you wanna go ham, go after a non-target monsters who typically take one wire bug attack to be mountable and then ride that monster to the target monster and beat the piss out of them.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Lily Catts posted:

I keep getting curious because everyone and their mother is playing the game, though I feel like trying the Hunting Horn or the ranged weapons for a change because I don't see many people running with those. Are those hard weapons?

Do they feel too hard? Are you having fun? If you answer no and yes then you're good to go. If you can't figure a weapon out watch a YouTube, a five minute video will suit just fine if you don't want to sit for a 20+ mins one.

It's possible to play ultra-casually and ultra-hooked!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Hi it me Golden Ceadeus, I suck rear end

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Lily Catts posted:

I just started light bowgun and it's a little confusing at first glance because there's all the different ammo types to keep track of and and make inventory loadouts for. But once you figure out what ammo type your gun is good for and lean into it it's insanely powerful and easy, you can inflict statuses whenever you feel like and get to hang out at a safe distance doing damage nonstop.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

... I'm not going to argue with that. That's probably as close as I'll get.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

P-Mack posted:

I just started light bowgun and it's a little confusing at first glance because there's all the different ammo types to keep track of and and make inventory loadouts for. But once you figure out what ammo type your gun is good for and lean into it it's insanely powerful and easy, you can inflict statuses whenever you feel like and get to hang out at a safe distance doing damage nonstop.

Yeah a pro tip: look at your weapon and what ammo it is good with (there will be a ^ icon). Only use those ammos. When you run out, go get more from your box, or craft some.

It’s easy to overmanage since most guns shoot 7-8 ammo types, I believe

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Junkie Disease posted:

Hi it me Golden Ceadeus, I suck rear end

I liked that fight more than the Narwa one.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Lily Catts posted:

Hunting Horn was made was easier in this game, and is very strong. The bowguns are probably the most complicated weapons to conceptually think about because what they actually do is very different based on what your build is, and there's also a ton of different viable builds. But, if you just snag a build online, it's probably one of the easiest weapons to play mechanically. Conversely, most melee weapons play the same regardless of build, but have a much higher skill floor than the gun. Hunts will take much much longer if you're constantly having to back out of a fight to heal, are whiffing attacks, aren't using all of your weapon mechanics like building meters, doing your best combos. Melee weapons are like learning a fighting game, whereas guns are like doing a math problem where you can always look up the answers online.

e: when I say most melee weapons play the same regardless of build, I mean that all hammers play the same, all greatswords play the same, but hammers and greatswords are very different. All greatswords have different elements, sharpness levels, raw damage, and there's tons of skills that will help you do more damage or dodge easier to pick and choose from, but there's no version of the greatsword where you suddenly have to use the weapon differently or re-learn combos

There was definitely a point where I played Monster Hunter casually, and I sucked at it for a fair amount of time, but it's not like you need to dedicate your whole life to getting good enough at it to have fun. I have very fond memories of getting absolutely rear end blasted at MH3 and thinking the game was literally impossible

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 20, 2021

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

my strat:

1. play sword and shield
2. run under the monster
3. mash buttons
4. roll and/or run away when it looks like it's gonna do a big attack

i hope that this strategy remains viable

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I'm kind of taking a break now, but I think a reason a lot of people are feeling a little burnt out and think Rise is maybe too easy is cuz Rise isn't really even done yet. The patch coming.... next week???? is supposedly adding a lot of content, and then another patch in May or whenever is supposed to add a "new ending", whatever that means.

It's sorta obvious they got the game out in March for fiscal reasons when it wasn't 100% done. Probably intended to release it around March with all the content in the first two patches, but Covid very likely impacted a lot.

I still got like 100~ hours with the content they have so I'm not really complaining about it being unfinished but it seems like it is literally unfinished.

In one way I'm sort of into how they did it cuz I ended up getting into a lot of different weapons with how small the weapon trees/etc are. I normally hyper specialize into one or two weapons but I have meta sets for like 5 weapons now and am enjoying them all a lot, even tho I know once the next patch will likely make them all useless and I'll have to do it all over again (I am excited to do that).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Whiffing attacks is 100% my biggest problem. My second biggest problem is attacking and then being left totally open for a monster to counterattack my rear end.

How do I stop whiffing and getting hit :negative: maybe there’s an item that damages you every time you miss.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

Whiffing attacks is 100% my biggest problem. My second biggest problem is attacking and then being left totally open for a monster to counterattack my rear end.

How do I stop whiffing and getting hit :negative: maybe there’s an item that damages you every time you miss.

What weapon are you using? If your main goal is to learn monster positioning, I'd try out the hammer. Since you always need to hit the head, you're really incentivized to figure out "okay, after this attack, the monster head will end up in x location, so I need to be around here to be ready to start my combo when it arrives.

Monsters like Rathalos/Diablos I've fought so many times I just sort of know by now, but for new ones like Magnamalos, fighting his with bowgun helps a lot when you're able to grind out runs really fast because you can kind of get a zoomed-out perspective of where his attacks actually put him. With dual blades, I find myself losing track of him when he zips around a lot and end up doing a lot of blind diving

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Post your best picture

Real proud of the tigrex one I somehow managed to get without eating poo poo.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Pollyanna posted:

Whiffing attacks is 100% my biggest problem.
Whiffing attacks is 100% my best strat. I like to make the monster suicidally depressed for clowning on me so hard that it ends up just killing itself.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Old fashioned full burst is my favorite Gunlance style and Ortlinde is my favorite Gunlance. This had to be said.

Killed Magnamalo a bunch with Gunlance to get the orb and it's pretty amazing just how mobile it is in this game between Ground Splitter and Blast Dash. And that's before you do the extended double hop which is a long long jump at EE 2.

Ground Splitter feels a bit like maintenance since they apparently nerfed shelling damage to account for it, relative to World shell damage. Kinda like tenderizing. Wish they'd stop doing this - feels like those HUGE WEEKEND SALEs where they first jack up the prices before applying the discount.

Whatever, weapon is so fun as is.

Magnamalo orb chance is roughly 12.5% if you capture, break the head, cut off and carve the tail and pick up a couple of the shinies. So one every 8 runs or so. Head and tail is most of that drop chance.

Pollyanna posted:

You can counter attack the monster instead, which also makes you learn its attacks as you're waiting on it to finish before counter attacking. Check out this cool video, it's useful for all weapons:
https://youtu.be/BAuV5J9JSv4

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Gonna plug my favorite MH video again:

Shine posted:

https://youtu.be/BAuV5J9JSv4

This is one of the best MHW videos ever made, IMO. An excellent breakdown of MHW combat with Hunting Horn, and back-and-forth MH combat in general.

Even if you don't play Hunting Horn, this video is still full of information that applies to several weapons in at least some respect. Certainly a Dual Blades player can be more aggressive since they have very quick attacks (so they don't usually get "stuck" in a long animation where they are vulnerable), but Hunting Horn and other "slow" melee weapons will benefit from the information in this video.

E:fb by the same video! :hfive:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Actually despite all evidence to the contrary Dual Blades' commitments can be very long if you are cheeky and it's gotten me hurt many a time :smith:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

Post your best picture

Posting Noodle's best picture:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Alxprit posted:

Actually despite all evidence to the contrary Dual Blades' commitments can be very long if you are cheeky and it's gotten me hurt many a time :smith:

Yeah especially the attacks that put you in the air, I kind of stopped using them because I kept carting when I got locked into an attack and couldnt dodge out

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

v1ld posted:

Ground Splitter feels a bit like maintenance since they apparently nerfed shelling damage to account for it, relative to World shell damage. Kinda like tenderizing. Wish they'd stop doing this - feels like those HUGE WEEKEND SALEs where they first jack up the prices before applying the discount.

I didn't play World, so the relative comparisons aren't meaningful to me, but I really wish the Ground Splitter buff didn't go away when you sheathed your weapon. As it is, if I pull off the skill but the monster is now on the other side of the room, I now have to make the tactical decision between discarding the buff immediately and wasting a wirebug or spamming backhops to get back into position, wasting stamina and probably still taking longer to get into position compared to just running

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

A Sometimes Food posted:

Post your best picture

Real proud of the tigrex one I somehow managed to get without eating poo poo.