Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Junpei posted:

Did it suck when it rained or snowed or was really windy or just cold or hot?

Rain was bad, but we had little ponchos. Snow and ice were the worst because the carts wouldn't move very well and the little machine they gave us to help didn't work at all.

Bert Roberge has issued a correction as of 06:53 on Apr 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I pushed carts at a supermarket (i worked front end so I did bagging, returning overstock, cleaning, whatever else too) and yeah carts is less annoying than bagging if the weather is good, but like they wouldn't let us wear shorts so in the summer it was brutal.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Heat was bad. We had yellow jackets in the trashcans next to the cart stalls all the time. People would just throw their chewing tobacco against the wall and ground everywhere and leave used baby diapers in the carts. One time I found a bag of 20+ used anal beads. This one guy used to bring his hunting kills and dress them in the parking lot, so there'd just be a mountain of rotting fox or deer guts there.

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back
clearly the most moral thing to do with shopping carts is to steal them and make the employees solve a series of riddles in order to get them back

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bert Roberge posted:

This one guy used to bring his hunting kills and dress them in the parking lot, so there'd just be a mountain of rotting fox or deer guts there.

lol jesus

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
steal them to transport goods for The Revolution

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Carts *are* an excellent determinant of morality: if you think putting the cart back or not matters in a moral sense you are clearly too loving stupid for philosophy, a field no stranger to dipshits. A cart return implies the existence of the grocery store, which is in and of itself an immoral organization of society under capitalism. And if you want to look at such a small, pointless thing and blow it up because you can make a difference in your individual actions to make yourself feel better... well, liberalism is a form of philosophy.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

Carts *are* an excellent determinant of morality: if you think putting the cart back or not matters in a moral sense you are clearly too loving stupid for philosophy, a field no stranger to dipshits. A cart return implies the existence of the grocery store, which is in and of itself an immoral organization of society under capitalism. And if you want to look at such a small, pointless thing and blow it up because you can make a difference in your individual actions to make yourself feel better... well, liberalism is a form of philosophy.

otoh if someone doesn't bring the luggage cart back to the lobby at my hotel it fucks everything up for ten minutes and everyone hates me

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

tokin opposition posted:

Just return your cart bud

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i cannot describe how much worse taking a hotel luggage cart up to your room and leaving it inside is compared to grocery cart anarchy

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

i say swears online posted:

i cannot describe how much worse taking a hotel luggage cart up to your room and leaving it inside is compared to grocery cart anarchy

your hotel should steal a bunch of grocery carts

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

jetz0r posted:

your hotel should steal a bunch of grocery carts

we're next to a grocery store so i stack up the spillover and return them in tandem to the corral across the street ;_;

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I loved returning carts as a kid.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I loved returning carts as a kid.

it was the one time you could step on the back beam and sail a bit and nobody could say poo poo

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

it was the one time you could step on the back beam and sail a bit and nobody could say poo poo

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

They used to let RV's and trucks overnight in the back Wal-Mart parking lots. They didn't always hit the drain when they were emptying their toilets. You have to get prior approval from the manager to do that now.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bert Roberge posted:

They used to let RV's and trucks overnight in the back Wal-Mart parking lots. They didn't always hit the drain when they were emptying their toilets. You have to get prior approval from the manager to do that now.

did they really end that? i still recommend it to people when the entire city is sold out

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I wonder if 4 working wheels would be more common if we all returned the humble cart

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

witchy posted:

clearly the most moral thing to do with shopping carts is to steal them and make the employees solve a series of riddles in order to get them back

I definitely see grocery store folks schlepping carts back from a block away when the gas station calls the store to tell them there are three carts dumped in their lot.

it's like 70F and sunny lately though so I bet it rules.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

lol at the pic but what is the theory?

here's the 4chan post people are alluding to

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

did they really end that? i still recommend it to people when the entire city is sold out

They ended it at the place I worked at least and you have to go through the manager. No idea about the company-wide policy.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I don't use shopping carts, I only have a bike for transport so my stuff all comes and goes in my panniers

I believe this places me squarely at true neutral in this alignment chart we are hashing out here, with respect to shopping carts

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Bert Roberge has issued a correction as of 08:14 on Apr 20, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

weird al would be a dece prez i bet

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

weird al would be a dece prez i bet

listen, I'm fat

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

I still do this sometimes, tbh. no one has ever told me to stop

rules are fake op, live your shopping cart related dreams

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Here in perverted europe, we deposit a coin in the shopping carts, to be returned when it is placed back. Make of it what you will

THS
Sep 15, 2017

chipping in as another ex grocery store peon who also vastly preferred collecting scattered carts to dealing with customers and my boss inside

i return the cart just cause im a rule follower but the idea that its a moral test is goofy

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

i maliciously return the carts until eventually the returned carts extend out into the parking lot and increase the likelihood of an accident
turn the cart sideways the instant it crosses the line into the cart corral

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PinkNews/status/1384471406629507072?s=19

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Inceltown posted:

So that stupid milkshake consent thing that I posted
  • Cost $3.7 million
  • Was more than half the budget for raising consent awareness in schools
  • Approved by two ministers who are hard religious right and voted against SSM
  • Will not be shown to kids at school and has already been pulled

Maybe the right wing people think governments should be small because they're just so bad at it. The only thing is that they don't actually have the chops to make it in the free market so end up in politics. It's the large adult failson role for those without the nepotism contacts.

e: Here is a good write up of it

quote:

A suitcase of money in one of the videos is greenbacks, not garishly coloured Australian dollars.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/metaltxt/status/1384266465486852098

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
i don't think the shopping cart thing is from a 2020 4chan post. i heard rush limbaugh talking about it on his show like ten years ago

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

A lot of British people not understanding why the American Humanist Association isn't on board with British liberals hatred of trans people

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
I’ll return the shopping cart if I’m not in a rush, it makes some poor kids day slightly easier and if they want more time outside they can simply lie and tell their manager that shopping carts were all over the place

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Gripweed posted:

A lot of British people not understanding what humanism is

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Returning the cart seems to me to be the same as the question of whether you wrap up broken glass before you throw it in a trash bag. Thinking of the next person who has to deal with that issue is how I've always viewed it. If a trash collector grabbed a trash bag of mine that had broken glass just sitting loosely in it they could hurt themselves so I will always wrap broken glass in something like cardboard and tape it off so there's less chance of the next person getting injured. Similarly, returning the cart is you thinking of the next person who has to deal with collecting the cart, or, thinking of wind grabbing the loose cart and slamming it into someone else's car. If you simply return it to the stall you are doing the next person a favor, or, potentially saving another person's car from getting damaged.

Think outside of yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

returning the shopping cart is class solidarity comrades. if you think otherwise you will be summarily executed.