Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

404notfound posted:

I didn't play World, so the relative comparisons aren't meaningful to me, but I really wish the Ground Splitter buff didn't go away when you sheathed your weapon. As it is, if I pull off the skill but the monster is now on the other side of the room, I now have to make the tactical decision between discarding the buff immediately and wasting a wirebug or spamming backhops to get back into position, wasting stamina and probably still taking longer to get into position compared to just running

Agreed, it's annoying that you lose the buff on sheathe. I haven't quite internalized Blast Dash movement yet, wonder if that lets you keep the buff.

Dunno about stamina costs, but the double backhop with the extended second one is faster than running even ignoring sheathe times - though I do have EE2 on my charm. Maybe it's not as fast without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Forming an open lobby for people who want to take photos of monsters running and screaming at a hunter who is grilling

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Can talismans have more than one level of pierce up or rapid fire up

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just saw a Tetranadon-Azuros turf war, and I honestly thought before that they were doing away with Turf war animations.

Still slowly going through the game. Just got 2 star hub because I could and I love playing armor and weapon pokemon.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
I don't know why but it makes me lol every time i find all three monsters in a map together. There is just something so ridiculous about it.

Also whenever khezu shows up- i fought him a lot in the beginning because i loved the fight, now when he appears when im getting ruined in the high rank stuff it feels like an old work colleague i havent seen in a while or something. "What are you doing here mate?"

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I don't know, I find narwa pretty brain dead and chill to fight, I just fight her while I'm listening to podcasts

I thought so too but I have carted out of that fight sooo much in multiplayer

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

I just saw a Tetranadon-Azuros turf war, and I honestly thought before that they were doing away with Turf war animations.

Still slowly going through the game. Just got 2 star hub because I could and I love playing armor and weapon pokemon.

there are many v. ridic turf wars in this game. most of them are with monsters you see later on tho.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

v1ld posted:

Agreed, it's annoying that you lose the buff on sheathe. I haven't quite internalized Blast Dash movement yet, wonder if that lets you keep the buff.

Dunno about stamina costs, but the double backhop with the extended second one is faster than running even ignoring sheathe times - though I do have EE2 on my charm. Maybe it's not as fast without it.

I'm 90% sure you keep the buff after blast dashing. One of the arenas has a wide charged shelling build and you know what it's really cool that Gunlance has so many playstyles possible but I cannot stop blast dashing. It's actually very good in combat too! It can lead into a slam > fullburst combo quicker than lots of other options (Although it does a bit less because you used a shell to get there)

Also thing that made me sooo much better with the slide buff move; you can wyvernstake REALLY quick right after it just mashing X. The move itself has super armor so you can run right up to a monster and stick a buffed stake in them really easily even if they're moving around

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Shine posted:

Posting Noodle's best picture:

Hah, these own. Bye Wroggi.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is the Lance Shield Charge better than it seems? Because it seems like something it did not really need in exchange for one of its better abilities.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

Is the Lance Shield Charge better than it seems? Because it seems like something it did not really need in exchange for one of its better abilities.

I think shield charge is just better for my playstyle. generally speaking I'm never charging long enough to get the triple hit from the normal charge and the mvs on the shield bash seems really high. Plus, the bash works well with how you use the charged swipe with lance now to get KOs.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Any fun/unusual charge blade builds worth checking out? I'm using a fairly started attack up/crit up/morph build and it does great numbers, but I'm playing pretty mindlessly in the postgame now and wanna see if I can shake things up a bit.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Cat Machine posted:

Any fun/unusual charge blade builds worth checking out? I'm using a fairly started attack up/crit up/morph build and it does great numbers, but I'm playing pretty mindlessly in the postgame now and wanna see if I can shake things up a bit.

The other main contender is taking the Rajang CB, completely ignoring crit skills, and maxing out bludgeoner, artillery, and attack boost in exchange. Your direct hit damage suffers but your SAED phial damage goes through the roof, so any fight where you can land a ton of SAEDs will go faster.

Other than that...elemental charge blades?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Can talismans have more than one level of pierce up or rapid fire up

Yeah, but it's very rare. Rapid Fire 2 on a charm would be absolutely amazing, since then we could actually have pierce up 3, rapid fire 3 on a set.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
So I know I want to do 2 gathering policies because I want 2 pilfer. What are some good skills to roll for? Also how do I level them up fast I'm at Rank 4ish and they are still level like 12 -15

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Snake Maze posted:

In this case, wyrmstake boost is removed because it doesn't have any effect if the gunlance naturally has shelling level 5, so it does nothing for the Howlitzer.

Winged Orpheus posted:

I haven't tested it myself but the internet says Wyrmstake boost doesn't do anything on Howlitzer because it's already level 5, so it does level 5 Wyrmstake damage whether it's boosted or not

Oh right I should’ve realized this. Good catch, thank you.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Boba Pearl posted:

So I know I want to do 2 gathering policies because I want 2 pilfer. What are some good skills to roll for? Also how do I level them up fast I'm at Rank 4ish and they are still level like 12 -15

For the passives, status attack up and KO king are the two big ones; you don't use cats for their damage, more for utility.

For the actives, it depends on your weapon and playstyle; I personally like healing bubble, vase of vitality, and either shock tripper or shock trap. Different people prefer different things; you might want stamina reduction for bow/dual blades, or power drum for attack/defense, for instance.

For leveling, I just throw them in the dojo and feed the dojo a laginapple. It only costs you one apple for 10 quests, and usually levels them up a few levels each time. Once they hit level 20, they learn pilfer, and you can take them with you from there.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Boba Pearl posted:

The best palico, hands down, is one with Power up (I think it's called power drum skill), Stamina up (go, fight, win) and the free shock trap (shock purr-ison). These are all massive boosts, and if you have two palicoes, they're like out all the time.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Deified Data posted:

The monsters looked good I guess? If I could put a finger on the movie's biggest weakness it's how mean-spirited it is, both in how the humans treat the monsters and how the humans treat each other. Like why was everyone so drat mean lol

Hearing Gaijinhunter talk about this made it a hard pass for me. That the humans in MH are generally all very friendly and cooperative with each other is a big draw of the series to me. A Monster Hunter where the hunter and the village elder figures are assholes to someone needing help isn't Monster Hunter at all imo.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

What’s the current go-to armor for great sword. I currently have a bunch of random stuff that just so happens to have a few of the _ Draw skills, but certainly there’s better.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

What’s the current go-to armor for great sword. I currently have a bunch of random stuff that just so happens to have a few of the _ Draw skills, but certainly there’s better.
The meta sets I saw are mostly the same as others (wex, crit boos, attack up) but add focus to the mix.

I think most skip quick sheathe because of the silkbind move, but it still seems tempting to me for all the times I forget to use it.

e: Anji Mail (Chest Piece) will get you 2 focus, and you can make up the 3rd with a level 2 deco.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Apr 20, 2021

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Dirk the Average posted:

For the passives, status attack up and KO king are the two big ones; you don't use cats for their damage, more for utility.

For the actives, it depends on your weapon and playstyle; I personally like healing bubble, vase of vitality, and either shock tripper or shock trap. Different people prefer different things; you might want stamina reduction for bow/dual blades, or power drum for attack/defense, for instance.

For leveling, I just throw them in the dojo and feed the dojo a laginapple. It only costs you one apple for 10 quests, and usually levels them up a few levels each time. Once they hit level 20, they learn pilfer, and you can take them with you from there.

Man. I really hope we get the ability to re-roll buddy skills in a patch. I scouted a bunch of buddies modeled after childhood pets, but I didn't know what skills were good to look out for and now I wouldn't want to bring any of them with me on serious hunts. :smith:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Zerilan posted:

Hearing Gaijinhunter talk about this made it a hard pass for me. That the humans in MH are generally all very friendly and cooperative with each other is a big draw of the series to me. A Monster Hunter where the hunter and the village elder figures are assholes to someone needing help isn't Monster Hunter at all imo.
My counter-point would be that Ron Perlman uses a switch axe and therefore the film is not an entirely lost cause

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Cat Machine posted:

My counter-point would be that Ron Perlman uses a switch axe and therefore the film is not an entirely lost cause

If only he used it properly...and used one that wasn't child-sized. :v:

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Cat Machine posted:

The movie is worth watching for his costume alone.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

The charm tables have started to be mapped out. You can search some of the lists below to see if they match up with charms you've gotten. Regrettably some of the lists seem to loop, which means you can never obtain certain charms if you are stuck on a certain table.
Original post is https://old.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunterMeta/comments/muf5s0/sharing_some_charm_table_information_i_have/

quote:

Gout table/痛風テーブル (Weakness Exploit 2 Windproof 2 s0-0-0)
Named after the signature charm Weakness Exploit(痛撃) + Windproof (風圧耐性), so far this is one of the most popular (?) table and definitely the most discussed table in JP/CN community. In fact I believe "gout table" has gone trending in JP twitter at some point.

Main features:
Very few good charms (no wex2 s2)
Closed loop

Notable Charms:
- Weakness Exploit 2 Windproof 2 s0-0-0
- Quick Sheath 3 Fire Attack 1 s3-1-0
- Attack 3 Slugger 2 s0-0-0
- Pierce up 1 Recoil down 2 s1-0-0
- Recoil down 2 Pierce up 1 s1-0-0
- Divine Blessing 3 Critical Boost 1 s0-0-0
- KO 3 Divine Blessing 2 s2-2-0

Link to whole table, credit to @ vfalv, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wMYUsbmh1T4apAGNG0FANH_kC6JMslqFNM7I300mm14/htmlview?pru=AAABeQl_ui4*v9lWrBnOm2L6k9LqvvjK-g

Sasuke table/サスケテーブル (Wall Runner 3 Constitution 3 s3-1-0)
Named after Sasuke because wall running + constitution = ninja?
Also appears to be a closed loop with no wex2 s2 (~1.6k charms).

Notable Charms:
- Wall Runner 3 Constitution 3 s3-1-0
- Attack 3 s1-1-1
- Attack 3 Evade Extender 1 s1-0-0
- Weakness Exploit 2 Water Attack 1 s1-0-0
- Weakness Exploit 2 Bludgeoner 1 s1-0-0

Charm list (may not be full, I have not studied this table yet): http://twitdoc.com/view.asp?id=527124&sid=BAQC&ext=PDF&lcl=-.pdf&usr=EPJDw5CJ3UExBs6
Also See CN Mega Sheet.

Weak bug table/弱蟲テーブル(Weakness Exploit 2 Wirebug Whisperer 2 s0-0-0)

Notable charms:
- Weakness Exploit 2 Wirebug Whisperer 2 s0-0-0
- Attack 3 s3-1-0
- Pierce Up 2 s2-0-0
- Constitution 3 s2-2-0
- Spareshot 2 Partbreaker 1 s1-1-0

I could not find much information about this table. See CN Mega sheet.

Wall Table/壁面テーブル (Wall Runner 2 Weakness Exploit 2 s1-0-0)
Good table with Wex 2 s2 among other god charms. This appears to be a loop too with 2.5k charms.

Notable Charms:
- Wall Runner 2 Weakness Exploit 2 s1-0-0
- Weakness Exploit 2 s2-0-0
- Weakness Exploit 2 Normal/Rapid Up 1 s1-0-0
- Rapid Fire Up 2 s0-0-0
- Spareshot 2 Quick Sheath 1 s3-1-0
- Critical Eye 3 s3-0-0

See CN Mega sheet for full list of charms

High Performance Table/高機能テーブル (Attack up 3 Quick Sheath 2 s1-1-0)
This appears to be an intermediate table which regrettably leads to the gout table.
CN players have identified 3 branches of this table:

a. Wex2 Horn Maestro s0 -> Evade Extender 3 Good Luck 1 s2 -> Atk3 QS2 s11-> Wex2 s11 -> gout table
b. Wex2 Recoil2 s1-> Atk3 QS2 s11-> gout table
c. Wex2 Speed Eating1 s3 -> Wex1 s111 -> Wex2 Recoil2 s1-> Atk3 QS2 s11-> gout table

Link JP: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1huhsA56gHAdfuls_IiG165dP-p7aGd_5A-BxJ40M_d8/edit#gid=0

Also in CN Mega Sheet.

Special Attack Table/特攻テーブル (Weakness Exploit 2 Attack 2 s0-0-0)
This appears to be an intermediate table which leads to the Wall Table. Contains god charms.

Notable Charms:
- Weakness Exploit 2 Attack 2 s0-0-0
- Normal/Rapid Up 1 Weakness Exploit 2 s0-0-0
- Weakness Exploit 2 Paralysis Attack 1 s0-0-0 *
- Weakness Exploit 2 Fire Resistance 1 s1-0-0
- Stamina Thief 3 Weakness Exploit 2 s0-0-0
- Partbreaker 2 Weakness Exploit 2 s0-0-0
- Good luck 2 s1-1-0
- Pierce up 2 s1-1-0

I could not find further information about this table. See CN Mega sheet (as of time of posting is unedited).

*Edit: There's seem to be some conflicting information on whether Wex 2 Par 1 is in this table or a separate branch that leads into the wall table.

Weak Ballistic table/弱特弾道テーブル (Weakness Exploit 2 Aim Booster 1 s0-0-0)
Not a lot of information is available for this table other than some notable charms.

Notable Charms:
- Weakness Exploit 2 Aim Booster 1 s0-0-0
- Normal/Rapid Up 1 Weakness Exploit 2 s1-0-0
- Quick Sheath 2 Free Meal 2 s2-2
- Quick Sheath 2 Recovery up 2 s2-2-1

Other Tables found in CN Mega sheet without enough data:
- Wide Range 2 Weakness Exploit 2 s0-0-0 table
- Diversion 1 Constitution 2 s3-1-0 table

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

mightygerm posted:

Regrettably some of the lists seem to loop, which means you can never obtain certain charms if you are stuck on a certain table.

And this is somehow better than decos because

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Kyrosiris posted:

And this is somehow better than decos because

Because it’s a glitch that’s getting patched out and not a deliberate feature

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I can't believe they did the thing they did before. Who could have seen this coming. :geno:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Anyone have any tips on how to play SnS? I've watch some tutorial videos but I feel that I am mostly button-mashing without really knowing what I am doing.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Star posted:

Anyone have any tips on how to play SnS? I've watch some tutorial videos but I feel that I am mostly button-mashing without really knowing what I am doing.

Like any weapon, memorize the key combos and deliberately input them instead of mashing buttons. Practice your positioning in the training area.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Oldstench posted:

Like any weapon, memorize the key combos and deliberately input them instead of mashing buttons. Practice your positioning in the training area.

I think that my problem with specifically SnS is that the combos seem to flow into each other and you can pretty much chain them together in a variety of ways. The other weapons I've tried out have shorter combos with a more definite start and end. But I guess I just have to grind the combos, as you say.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

DB players are gonna be confused if you tell me to "not mash buttons"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Snake Maze posted:

Because it’s a glitch that’s getting patched out and not a deliberate feature

Two separate things, Gaijinhunter has a short video explaining it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_wGqQm_MZg

I'm still on team talisman, but how they handled them in Rise is a stepback from GU.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Star posted:

New SNS meta is to shield bash and shoryugeki your way to brain damaging the monster

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tekopo posted:

DB players are gonna be confused if you tell me to "not mash buttons"

Electric Phantasm posted:

Two separate things, Gaijinhunter has a short video explaining it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_wGqQm_MZg

I'm still on team talisman, but how they handled them in Rise is a stepback from GU.

Yeah this is adding the confusion. I'm hoping Capcom addresses both by fixing the main issue (looping)

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Silver Falcon posted:

Man. I really hope we get the ability to re-roll buddy skills in a patch. I scouted a bunch of buddies modeled after childhood pets, but I didn't know what skills were good to look out for and now I wouldn't want to bring any of them with me on serious hunts. :smith:

Did you save the design when you created them? You can ask the buddy guy to scout by setting the class for the cats and appearance for both. Every mission you take you get to see six(?) different palico and palamute skillsets all with the same appearance. Roll until you get one you like, just give them the correct name when you recruit them and swap it in, now your best bud also kills dinosaurs.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

threelemmings posted:

Did you save the design when you created them? You can ask the buddy guy to scout by setting the appearance for both and class for the cats and every mission you take you get to see six(?) different palico and palamute skillsets all with the same appearance. Just give them the correct name when you recruit them.

Yeah, I don't want to play Face/Off with my cat.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Star posted:

shield bash and shoryuken them in the face, while they're on the ground and confused do the perfect rush combo while cancelling the last hit with the roundslash so you can hop back and repeat the combo. if you don't have time for the perfect rush combo, and you're not near the face, do the A A A > X+A combo. there's more to it but if you want a blueprint that's what's worked for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

As far as full armor sets Goss Harag and Barioth are the most obvious, however they are both missing out on the focus skill and don't have the slots to hit 3/3. Also neither set has attack boost. That said, you could nix AB entirely and just do a mix of those two, plus the anjanath chest for 2 focus and it will be pretty solid.

Right now I'm running (I believe) close to meta for the goss GS:

Zinogre helm
Anja chest
Rath bracers
Anja belt
Ingot leggings

and I lucked into a WEX 2 with 3/1/1 deco slots. This lets me hit 7 AB, 3 focus, 3 WEX which is generally what you want to aim for. I think people who are using the narga GS swap out ingot for rajang leggings.

The charm you have will largely dictate the rest of your armor, so if you don't have a WEX charm the skalda belt covers you for 2 points but you are short a couple deco slots.