Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

TulliusCicero posted:

DeSantis is a fuckng idiot criminal who has actively killed Floridans with his belligerent dumbass COVID ignoring policies, and then fuckers go there on vacation, catch it and spread it to the states like mine.

I can't believe the media is trying to play up DeSantis as some genius politician and not a loving joke and a negligent killer. Wh as t the actual gently caress is wrong with journalism in this country? :psyduck:

as always, the goal of modern media is first and foremost to generate clicks. fact is a distant second, and analysis is explicitly taboo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

sit on my Facebook posted:

Eh, it's pretty easy. "It's a shout-out to a guy who assassinated a famous gay rights activist". Bing bong

still tooo long. "named after a homophob"

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

DeSantis is a fuckng idiot criminal who has actively killed Floridans with his belligerent dumbass COVID ignoring policies, and then fuckers go there on vacation, catch it and spread it to the states like mine.

I can't believe the media is trying to play up DeSantis as some genius politician and not a loving joke and a negligent killer. Wh as t the actual gently caress is wrong with journalism in this country? :psyduck:

And yet he's growing a large following of supporters in New York City of all places. Him and Greg Abbott are considered to be the TRUE heroes of Covid because they didn't shut down their entire state. That's how badly DeBlasio and Cuomo messed up. The rest of the state Democrats haven't fared better either. Though the upstate parts are doing well, NYC and it's surrounding counties have been thoroughly beaten down with unnecessary restrictions by Cuomo, like he has something against the part of NY that actually votes Democratic and put him into office. No way any Democrat wins mayor of NYC in this environment and don't be surprised if the Governorship and state assemblies follow suit going solid Republican.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Morrow posted:

Yeah, at the end of the day only crazy is getting through the primary. 2016 was a slow burn of more and more Republicans abandoning anything but blind hate as they coalesced around Trump while the rest of the field whittled itself down. In 2024 they're going to embrace it right out of the gate and the only question is whether it'll be Trump himself or a Trump-endorsed candidate.

I'll be honest, I kinda suspect the opposite. Like, obviously there's going to be a clown car of crazy, but nobody has that special brand of oafish boor charisma that Trump brought to the table. They may say the right racisms and do the right white power salutes, but they're just not going to be able to make it stick like Trump could.
Granted, a lot depends on what Biden is actually able to accomplish by then, but I think the 2024 Republican candidate is going to be a return to the quieter sort of sociopath.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

skeleton warrior posted:

That’s literally the opposite of what happened, though. Trump came down the escalator and literally all his opponents said “this guy’s a clown, there’s no need to give a poo poo about him” and kept going after each other, with a Walker being the first target and then Jeb! after. Even after Trump won NH, Rubio and Christie were still fighting each other more than Trump.

The actual “oh poo poo we need to stop Trump” didn’t come until after Super Tuesday and people dropped to let Cruz be the sole alternate, and it was too late.

Yeah it was like each primary candidate went calmly to their own floor and waited for Trump take them each out Enter the Dragon style.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

sit on my Facebook posted:

Eh, it's pretty easy. "It's a shout-out to a guy who assassinated a famous gay rights activist". Bing bong

Pretty small potatoes given scandal inflation over the last four or five years. Certainly not going to cost him his show.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Kalit posted:

In case any of you were wondering when the next randomly targeted shooting would occur, here you are:
https://twitter.com/KellyRuleTV/status/1384883999802286089

loving ban all guns.

Woah that’s like 2 miles from where I grew up, what the gently caress.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1384887094259032064

Gah! Well, that'll do it for the infrastructure plan, this is an uncounterable rhetorical masterstroke.

One of the weirder things about American politics is the nonsensical workshopped rhetoric that the political class thinks sounds persuasive or normal but just sounds bizarre. One of the reasons reactionaries like trump is that despite incredible word-salad performances every time he spoke for more than a few minutes, he was just a dumb bully who would say Biden has a small sick or is gay if anyone asked him a policy question.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

The Angry Bum posted:

And yet he's growing a large following of supporters in New York City of all places. Him and Greg Abbott are considered to be the TRUE heroes of Covid because they didn't shut down their entire state. That's how badly DeBlasio and Cuomo messed up. The rest of the state Democrats haven't fared better either. Though the upstate parts are doing well, NYC and it's surrounding counties have been thoroughly beaten down with unnecessary restrictions by Cuomo, like he has something against the part of NY that actually votes Democratic and put him into office. No way any Democrat wins mayor of NYC in this environment and don't be surprised if the Governorship and state assemblies follow suit going solid Republican.

a republican is not going to be elected mayor of NYC dude lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

goethe.cx posted:

Giuliani, Bloomberg.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

zoux posted:

Giuliani, Bloomberg.

Yes, I realize, but I think those days are gone. Most people in NYC are fine with the covid restrictions because of the hellscape last March/April. Also, what restrictions there are are pretty loose at this point and by the time the mayoral election rolls around they'll be even looser if around at all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, I'll defer to you, the only thing I really know about NYC is that I'd never set one drat foot there.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

The Angry Bum posted:

Whoever wins the democratic primary for mayor of NYC is going to win the general by 20 points, what are you talking about.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

goethe.cx posted:

There were 20 years of republican mayors of NYC prior to the current mayor (Giuliani from 94-02, Bloomberg from 02-14).

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

goethe.cx posted:

Guess people really try to block out when Giuliani and Bloomberg held that title for 20 straight years where the former would have been reelected in a landslide had he been allowed to run and the latter literally got the law changed so he could. And after the 8 year disaster that has been Bill De Blasio, almost any Republican would be welcome with open arms, because if the Democratic field is counting on Andrew Yang or people similar to carry us on post-Covid then we have real problems. The Democratic State Party is still trying hard to get rid of AOC after all this time.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

If you all have any polling to back up the idea that a Republican stands a chance of winning NYC mayor in the year 2021 I'd love to see it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A recent surge of Republicanism is definitely why NYS has democratic supermajorities in both chambers for the first time in forever

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
remindere that deBlassio's regressive challenge literaly said run over cats to make the trains run on time. (trains will still be late)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Woah that’s like 2 miles from where I grew up, what the gently caress.

My client delivers fuel to some of the Wawas in South and North Macungie. Had to check he wasn't one of ours. Sick that proximity / degrees of separation makes these things hit harder, but I think that's human.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

The Angry Bum posted:

The Democratic State Party is still trying hard to get rid of AOC after all this time.

I'd love a source on this, so I can learn more!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The husband of the Missouri gun couple from the BLM protest is running for the Senate as a Republican.

The circle is complete.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/20/mark-mccloskey-senate-missouri-483924

Doing nothing except pointing a gun at black people gets you a speaking slot at the RNC and a senate bid.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

The Angry Bum posted:

Guess people really try to block out when Giuliani and Bloomberg held that title for 20 straight years where the former would have been reelected in a landslide had he been allowed to run and the latter literally got the law changed so he could. And after the 8 year disaster that has been Bill De Blasio, almost any Republican would be welcome with open arms, because if the Democratic field is counting on Andrew Yang or people similar to carry us on post-Covid then we have real problems. The Democratic State Party is still trying hard to get rid of AOC after all this time.

Ah yes, the politics of the early 2000s are a 1:1 match for politics in our post-2016 era. Yep, that tracks, I'm sure the city that voted almost 70% Biden is going to suddenly whiplash into voting a Republican mayor.

I do not understand how multiple people in US politics threads, across a long timeframe, fail to grasp that polarization cuts both ways. We talk about GOP voters voting for leopards that eat their faces, well, there's an absolute shitload of Dems that do the exact same behavior—vote for the same party regardless of what they complain about or whoever that party runs. New York City has probably the highest concentration of those voters in the entire country, even.

Also, like was pointed out above, if there's a covid-fueled backlash against NY Dems, then how do you explain NY Dems suddenly gaining supermajorities in both state legislative chambers :v:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The husband of the Missouri gun couple from the BLM protest is running for the Senate as a Republican.

The circle is complete.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/20/mark-mccloskey-senate-missouri-483924

Doing nothing except pointing a gun at black people gets you a speaking slot at the RNC and a senate bid.

He's also rich and white, so that pretty much gives him the qualifications of most GOP reps

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

zoux posted:

Well, I'll defer to you, the only thing I really know about NYC is that I'd never set one drat foot there.

Afraid of museums and Broadway plays?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Kalit posted:

In case any of you were wondering when the next randomly targeted shooting would occur, here you are:
https://twitter.com/KellyRuleTV/status/1384883999802286089

loving ban all guns.

At this point we need to just put xanax and citalopram in the loving water supply.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

Afraid of museums and Broadway plays?

Pizza rats mostly. Also all the urban legends about us innocent country folk getting stuck with AIDS needles by psychopathic passers-by as we marvel gawpmouthed at alla these dang tall buildins.

https://twitter.com/chitribopinions/status/1383879782547353605

Lady, I have a mortgage.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Merrick Garland is ordering a broad DOJ investigation into the Minneapolis Police Department. Seizing records, personnel files, and seeking testimony.

If they find a pattern of abuse, then they will seek civil damages and enter into a consent decree where the DOJ will manage the department's policies and oversight.

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1384862624660217858

quote:

Attorney General Merrick Garland announces a broad investigation into the Minneapolis Police Department.

The Justice Department will investigate the policies and operations of the Minneapolis Police Department, Attorney General Merrick B. Garland announced on Wednesday, a day after the former officer Derek Chauvin was convicted of murder in the death of George Floyd in a rare rebuke of police violence.

“The Justice Department has opened a civil investigation to determine whether the Minneapolis Police Department engages in a pattern or practice of unconstitutional or unlawful policing,” Mr. Garland said in brief remarks at the Justice Department.

Such investigations are often the precursors to court-approved deals between the Justice Department and local governments that create and enforce a road map for training and operational changes.

Mr. Garland’s announcement came a day after the conviction of Mr. Chauvin, who was fired by the Minneapolis Police Department last year after gruesome video of him kneeling on Mr. Floyd’s neck for more than nine minutes sparked protests across the nation.

The inquiry into the department is separate from the existing Justice Department investigation into whether Mr. Chauvin violated Mr. Floyd’s civil rights. It will be led by lawyers and staff in the Justice Department’s civil rights division and the U.S. attorney’s office in Minnesota.

Investigators will seek to determine whether the Minneapolis Police Department engages in a pattern or practice of using excessive force, including during protests; whether it engages in discriminatory conduct; and whether its treatment of those with behavioral health disabilities is unlawful. They will also review the department's policies, training, supervision and use-of-force investigations, and whether its current systems of accountability are effective at ensuring that police officers act lawfully.

If the investigators find that the police department has engaged in unlawful policing, Mr. Garland said the Justice Department would issue a public report. It also has the option to bring a civil suit against the department and enter into a settlement agreement, or consent decree, to ensure that prompt and effective action is taken bring the department’s practices into compliance with the law.

On Friday, Mr. Garland restored the robust use of consent decrees, rescinding a Trump administration policy that largely curbed their use. The Obama administration had repeatedly used the tool to address police misconduct. The restoration of consent decrees was one of the Biden administration’s first significant moves to hold police forces accountable in cases where they are found to have violated federal laws.

“Most of our nation’s law enforcement officers do their difficult jobs honorably and lawfully. I strongly believe that good officers do not want to work in systems that allow bad practices,” Mr. Garland said.

The challenges that the nation faces in addressing systemic racial inequities “are deeply woven into our history,” Mr. Garland said, adding that it would take time and effort by all to build “trust between community and law enforcement.”

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

zoux posted:

Pizza rats mostly. Also all the urban legends about us innocent country folk getting stuck with AIDS needles by psychopathic passers-by as we marvel gawpmouthed at alla these dang tall buildins.

https://twitter.com/chitribopinions/status/1383879782547353605

Lady, I have a mortgage.

I'm more worried about going into rural areas. At least cities have things of worth to see.

Edit: I grew up in a rural area so my opinion is based on lived experiences.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 21, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rare good news.

But, now we're a month away from seeing how many people will absolutely refuse to be vaccinated no matter the consequences. My faith in the the remaining holdouts is not high.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1384927440888373249
https://twitter.com/mviser/status/1384927062704656386
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1384930007324184582

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Nice CVN you have there. Would be a shame if something were to be dropped on it.

https://twitter.com/asbmilitary/status/1384917404795523078?s=21

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

A single tear rolls down Elliot Spitzer's cheek.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1384930949935386624

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Merrick Garland is ordering a broad DOJ investigation into the Minneapolis Police Department. Seizing records, personnel files, and seeking testimony.

If they find a pattern of abuse, then they will seek civil damages and enter into a consent decree where the DOJ will manage the department's policies and oversight.

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1384862624660217858

Nine months ago Seattle City Attorney's Office sued the City Council for banning the use of war crime weapons because such an action for the common good and moral welfare interfered with the DOJ's consent decree.

So enjoy all potential local reform that could happen post-Chauvin verdict being stymied by federal interference for decades.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Hah, the actual article is even worse. "It's time for us millennials to grow up, I say, in my article that is self-admittedly regurgitating my father's opinions."

quote:

Psychology 101 teaches us that mortality salience, sometimes more affectionately termed “death anxiety,” spurred by an acute event can be a real game changer, particularly if it’s experienced for a sustained period of time. And if you haven’t been paralyzed by a very primal (and very legitimate) fear of dying this past year, then I’m not sure you’ve been awake. Even the trusty millennial brunch couldn’t drown out the debilitating terror that was 2020. After all, where could we brunch?

Instead, we went home — back to our parents — which is ironic given some of us never really left. We started crafting and baking, watched a lot of PBS, and learned how to play online mahjong. And as time slowed at first, we woke up one day and quite suddenly realized that an entire year had flown by. For a generation of people who subscribed to the tenets of eternal youth — that we had a ton of time to do all the things and meet all the various life milestones eventually — the brutality of 2020 and now 2021 confronted us with a painful reality. Life is short, death is all around us, the oldest of us will turn 40 this year, and it’s time to grow up.

Now some of you might have been struggling to make ends meet and maybe staying the gently caress away from parents during a pandemic, even at significant emotional cost, but surely there can't be too many of you in that boat. I mean, you all just spent a year mooching off of mom and dad too, right? It's not like any of you were doing something noteworthy last year, right? Right??

e: I will grant that it's a decently constructed piece if the point was to make soothing noises about millennials to an audience of boomers that you could be sure would get printed somewhere, so there's that.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 21, 2021

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Nice CVN you have there. Would be a shame if something were to be dropped on it.

https://twitter.com/asbmilitary/status/1384917404795523078?s=21

That's... very surprising. I realize drones can be tiny, but we've known for years now that drones of any size can be used for reconnaissance and attack. And heck, airports have developed a bunch of methods for getting rid of drones in their airspace. Keeping the airspace directly above a CVN clear of enemy aircraft of any size should be top priority, I think a lot of people dropped the ball on this one.

Weird world where a toy from Best Buy can interfere with operation of a state-of-the-art, multi-billion USD war machine.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Orthanc6 posted:

That's... very surprising. I realize drones can be tiny, but we've known for years now that drones of any size can be used for reconnaissance and attack. And heck, airports have developed a bunch of methods for getting rid of drones in their airspace. Keeping the airspace directly above a CVN clear of enemy aircraft of any size should be top priority, I think a lot of people dropped the ball on this one.

Weird world where a toy from Best Buy can interfere with operation of a state-of-the-art, multi-billion USD war machine.

The footage is from 2006 I believe and is not really a good barometer of current capabilities.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Orthanc6 posted:

They probably were fully aware of the drone and had something aimed at it or easily could have. But if they were reasonably sure it wasn't going to initiate hostilities shooting it down would have been more trouble than it was worth diplomatically.

Of course if it actually did drop something on the carrier, poo poo would have gotten real fast and both sides know this

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Yeah it was like each primary candidate went calmly to their own floor and waited for Trump take them each out Enter the Dragon style.

It was the tragedy of the commons playing out live in front of us. If the moderate/business wing of the party had winnowed down to even just two candidates prior to New Hampshire or South Carolina, one of them would likely have won (definitely if there was only one moderate/business wing), with Cruz a weak third, and Super Tuesday would have been a fight.

But that would involve the five assholes fighting for that role to step back and let someone else have that role, and you don't run for President if you're the kind of person who looks at having 5% in a popularity poll and thinks maybe you don't have a chance. It was more important to each of them to still be in the fight for that one role than to make sure that Trump didn't lead the party.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Angry Bum posted:

no part of this is true, and if i recall correctly you've been claiming this nonsense fact-free since last year

cuomo is still widely popular for his covid response despite loving it up, everyone hates deblasio but that's because he sucks, not because of his covid response

people who dislike their covid response (me, for one) largely think they underplayed it in the lead-up to the massive wave last march, not that they overdid it

Leon Sumbitches posted:

There were 20 years of republican mayors of NYC prior to the current mayor (Giuliani from 94-02, Bloomberg from 02-14).

bloomberg largely ran and governed as an independent; he initially ran in the republican primary because the competition was much weaker than the democratic primary. currently the republican party in new york city is slightly worse regarded than a urine-soaked crazy person screaming obscenities at people

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 21, 2021

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The footage is from 2006 I believe and is not really a good barometer of current capabilities.

2016 and yes, drones have become a lot better now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

The Angry Bum posted:

Do you ever post anything that isn't "the GOP is going to win <insert upcoming election here> in a landslide"? NYC is not going to vote for a loving Republican.