Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Dickweed
Mar 3, 2003

Yes, that kitty is probably the head of a multi-national conglomerated business...uh...thing.

20 Blunts posted:

were you young enough to get in on Toto's Africa acapella craze? where you'd make the rain noises and poo poo and stomp on stage for thunder?

My little sister is about 7 years younger than me and they did this both at her last senior pep rally and graduation lol. I had no idea it was so widespread until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Since we're on the subject of america poo poo.
Are there certain songs and whatnot that get driven in to your heads in public school?
Having grown up on the border, and seeing tons of American tv there always seem to be songs that the people on tv know.
The only one I can think of offhand is When The Saints Go Marching In.

Besides the national anthem obviously, are there a bunch of songs that like every public school kid in America gets rammed in to their heads in grade school music classes?

2nd or 3rd grade me got to learn a bowlderized version of sweet betsy from pike but the lyrics were "crossed the tall mountains with her brother ike"
it was many decades later that i learned the truth of it, that ike was her lover and not related at all.
the best verse that they never taught me in school is this:

out on the prairie one starry night
ike broke out the whiskey and betsy got tight
she laughed and she sang
and she danced o'er the plain
and showed her bare arse to the whole wagon train

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Beans, beans, the magical fruit
The more you eat, the more you toot

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

in american schools they teach us all this song:

jingle bells
batman smells
robin laid an egg
batmobile lost it's wheel
and the joker got away

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tip posted:

in american schools they teach us all this song:

jingle bells
batman smells
robin laid an egg
batmobile lost it's wheel
and the joker got away

You forgot the first verse:

Batman's in the kitchen,
Robin's in the hall
Joker's in the bathroom
peein' all over the wall

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Mine eyes have seen the glory of the burning of the school!
We have tortured every teacher, we have broken every rule!
When the principal tried to stop us, we just tied him to a stool!
The school is burning down!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I liked the weird C&H strip where Calvin, uh here

Kind of came out of nowhere at me, a kid reading it

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

the diarrhea song

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Miss susie had a steamboat

The getting away with technically not saying bad words song

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

I know this from being in a camp ground next to the womens' showers, and two girls sang this non stop for 20 minutes.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I know this from being in a camp ground next to the womens' showers, and two girls sang this non stop for 20 minutes.

Boys were absolutely not to learn of this song

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Not to interrupt song chat but I saw a tank driving down my suburban street. It said Sherriff's Dept. on it but I could tell it was hardened against IEDs.

I didn't take a picture because normal country.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Not to interrupt song chat but I saw a tank driving down my suburban street. It said Sherriff's Dept. on it but I could tell it was hardened against IEDs.

Ah, someone didn't pay their parking ticket.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

ah yes everybodys keeping busy!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

99 bottles of beer

Happy Birthday

:corsair:

Banana split from Knoebel's Grove amusement park, Elysburg, PA

Stony Creek, VA

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

SavageMessiah posted:

When I was little, 1st grade I think, we had to listen to God Bless the USA by Lee Greenwood every morning before the pledge. Whenever the song went 'stand up next to you' we had to stand up.

I loving hate that song.

We also heard this every morning in my high school. gently caress that song.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
In 2nd grade we did the pledge of allegiance followed by a round of "My Country 'Tis of Thee" or sometimes "God Bless America" or whatever that one is with amber waves of grain.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

SavageMessiah posted:

When I was little, 1st grade I think, we had to listen to God Bless the USA by Lee Greenwood every morning before the pledge. Whenever the song went 'stand up next to you' we had to stand up.

I loving hate that song.

i hate it with my life. insipid trash, marg bar Amrika!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5keKNcfywv0

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

PainterofCrap posted:

Banana split from Knoebel's Grove amusement park, Elysburg, PA

You come here to post Konebel's and all you have is a nondescript ice cream???
Time to dig up some old photos...

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Since we're on the subject of america poo poo.
Are there certain songs and whatnot that get driven in to your heads in public school?
Having grown up on the border, and seeing tons of American tv there always seem to be songs that the people on tv know.
The only one I can think of offhand is When The Saints Go Marching In.

Besides the national anthem obviously, are there a bunch of songs that like every public school kid in America gets rammed in to their heads in grade school music classes?

oh god, haven't bothered to look it up we sang a song about Davey Crockett in elementary school that had the line "adding redskin arrows to the country's woes" prominently in it.

That song will randomly get stuck my head to this day and is just as uncomfortable now.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

bellows lugosi posted:

i've spent far too many days of my life taking photographs of oregon's decrepit poo poo

this one is right down the street from the gas station with the Crush sign

if anyone has any hot tips on specific building locations lemme know because i'll drive my rear end out there

Aardvark! posted:

those photos pnw

These photos are fantastic

20 Blunts posted:

here's my contribution to rural americana. a little artsy-fartsy, i was probably around 19 when i took these:

somebody was storing hay in here for some reason

the big sky lookin down at all the people lookin up at the big sky. this might be back album cover material if i ever make that country album.

windmill and waterpump

i absolutely cannot figure out what the make on this car is. seems like pontiac or oldsmobile. help?

car with a tree for an engine, dont make em like they use-ta'

there are like 3-4 little hollers around there full of abandoned early-to-mid-century equipment

da shed <3

the valley

nothin like a good cow skull on a fence. used to be more skull there when i first put it up but i think a critter stole it

oh yeah some good fenceline right there

the european mount - unamerican!!!

here's some living deer from the trail cam, love this ones expression. we've put a moratorium on the hunting until we see signs of the herd improving.

These are also really cool, where from?

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Excuse you, it's Miss Lucy that had a steamboat

Also the 'Second Story Window' camp song

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

If this thread has taught me anything, Americana is taking pictures of fat-saturated foods with desaturated colors that make them look like they're made of plastic that had been left in the sun for fifteen years.

waldo pepper
Mar 18, 2005
I grew up on Air Force bases and all the kids learned the service songs in school, like The Army Goes Rolling Along and the Wild Blue Yonder.

Also, and I have never seen anyone mention this before but it’s an awesome American tradition. On Air Force bases at Christmas one of the single fighter pilots dresses like Santa and has a bag with presents for all the kids. We would all go to the flight line and he would land in a fighter jet and emerge dressed like Santa and give us all presents.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

waldo pepper posted:

I grew up on Air Force bases and all the kids learned the service songs in school, like The Army Goes Rolling Along and the Wild Blue Yonder.

Also, and I have never seen anyone mention this before but it’s an awesome American tradition. On Air Force bases at Christmas one of the single fighter pilots dresses like Santa and has a bag with presents for all the kids. We would all go to the flight line and he would land in a fighter jet and emerge dressed like Santa and give us all presents.

I was at an event at my kids elementary school a few years back and they started singing the school song and it was very familiar immediately. Then I realized it was the same as the army song and, i don't know if there's an older song both are based on, it was weird as hell listening to kindergartners sing the army song with a few words changed.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Pasketti posted:

I grew up near Knoebel's, one of my brothers kept working there in the summers well into his twenties after he got his degree because all of his friends were still working there.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Pasketti posted:

gently caress you, that is a legendary banana split I wait all year to demolish. :)

Oh all right

https://i.imgur.com/ynO516R.mp4

My son on the left. His best friend on the right is defending his doctoral dissertation on astrophysics this summer.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

PainterofCrap posted:

gently caress you, that is a legendary banana split I wait all year to demolish. :)

Oh all right

https://i.imgur.com/ynO516R.mp4

My son on the left. His best friend on the right is defending his doctoral dissertation on astrophysics this summer.

lmao I can ride any rollercoaster there all day but that ferris wheel always made me so nervous. Maybe because my dad would rock the carriage and start saying stuff like "I dunno, that beam doesn't look too sturdy...is that ductape? wow this is just held together with ductape!" to scare us

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

PainterofCrap posted:

:3:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

500excf type r posted:

I was at an event at my kids elementary school a few years back and they started singing the school song and it was very familiar immediately. Then I realized it was the same as the army song and, i don't know if there's an older song both are based on, it was weird as hell listening to kindergartners sing the army song with a few words changed.

My elementary school song was the Notre Dame fight song with the words changed (this was in Michigan lol). Elementary schools don't have time to write an original score.

Michaeldim
Jan 29, 2011

:byodood:

Imagine going to Manhattan for this

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
there are multiple Chili's restaurants in Mexico lol

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Aardvark! posted:

there are multiple Chili's restaurants in Mexico lol

well at least I know I can get a proper chicken bacon ranch quesadilla down there

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Michaeldim posted:

Imagine going to Manhattan for this

do they at least call it The Big Applebees?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

From like twenty pages ago, but just catching up to this thread. I know and have been to that place, Famous Lunch in Troy, NY.

Kind of like mini chili dogs. They're similar to something that's served sort of in my neck of the woods now (northern VT) but more across the lake in the Adirondacks and North Country of NY...the Michigan:
https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/07/what-is-the-michigan-hot-dog-new-york-state-adirondacks.html

Ideally, made with local Glazier's red casing franks:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

this food makes me really sad. it's like some final meal poo poo for a criminally insane person.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Pasketti posted:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Lucy chairs, Liver, and Lima beans? Oh poo poo I love this place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
That kid preparing his cheeseburger gives me flashbacks.