Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The capital gains rate would actually be higher than it ever has been, but also only by about 4%.

Any time someone brings this up, all you have to do is point out that the 1% turned a massive profit during the pandemic. They made money hand over fist while the rest of us struggled and starved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
But be prepared to hear a chorus of poo poo like "WhY dO YoU wAnT tO pUnIsH sUcCeSs???" :byodame:

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Anything come of Yellen's push for a Global Minimum Tax? I'm not sure how that would be accomplished.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

please dial down the shitposting in this thread a bit

turning a big dial taht says "Shitposts" on it and constantly looking back at the mods for approval like a contestant on the price is right

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Grouchio posted:

...(she wouldn't would she?)

No, because she will not be elected governor

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

"Eye-popping" tax rates that are the same top rate as 1994, a corporate tax rate the same as it was in 2018, and a capital gains rate 3% higher than the rate in 1981.

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1385562848454082563
I know it's not the media-crit thread, but I want to help innoculate the thread so we don't flip out next time Axios quotes "Senior Democratic Staffers" or whomever the gently caress. The most recent awful anonymously sourced item I can recall was "Senior Democratic and Republican aides — who would never let their bosses say so on the record — privately told Axios [Chauvin's] convictions have lessened pressure for change."

LT2012 is correct, the framing on this story and "eyepopping" in particular are dogshit. The headlines on this and previous similar stories as "Biden's tax-the-rich plans" are similarly awful (though I sure like the sound of them!). Even the content of the story includes another deeply questionable anonymous quote:

quote:

Democrats close to the White House believe that the amount of revenue that the IRS can collect on capital gains actually decreases past a certain point, probably in the low 30% range. That means the ultimate capital gains rate could be well below 43.4%
Who would leak to Axios? Those who are most aligned with the outlet's center-right bent and who are disappointed with internal Dem outcomes. They're crying to Axios when they get their asses kicked so that they can reopen the battle later. We saw it last year around COVID-relief as Dem staffers informed Axios that actually Pelosi is very scared of the rightwing talking points about the bill and that's why it'll be half of what was rumored (spoiler: it was much larger than rumored). We're seeing it again here. If the White House thought that it was crossing the inflection point of the Laffer curve, it'd.... not propose doing so. Instead, some dumbass(es) "close to the White House" (who is definitely not Larry Summers) lost and wants the media and Congress to think the White House has substantial wiggle room there. You're genuinely safest assuming that anything sourced to an anonymous Dem that you see in Axios has already been raised and rejected.

It is interesting to see that this is Axios' take, given polling that shows Biden's plan gets bipartisanly more popular when people learn they're paying for it by hitting the GOP's favorite people.

nine-gear crow posted:

turning a big dial taht says "Shitposts" on it and constantly looking back at the mods for approval like a contestant on the price is right
The threadwinner is whoever comes closest to the shitpost threshold without going over, so this checks out.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Bishyaler posted:

So if we want Biden to fulfill campaign promises and roll back Trump's changes instead of embracing them, that's leftwing authoritarianism? Why would he need to break laws? Democrats told us for years how they were the only adults in the room and they would do right by Americans.

I know that reading two whole pages of a thread is hard, but no, I don't think anybody is comparing "want[ing] Biden to fulfill campaign promises and roll back Trump's changes instead of embracing them" to left-wing authoritarianism. They're responding to this post:

Owlspiracy posted:

serious question: why hasn't biden arrested dejoy as a threat to democracy? seems like that would solve this problem in about one second

Also:

Reading this article beyond the headline will tell you that Biden doesn't believe he has the authority to cancel more than $10k of student loan debt by executive order, but is willing and able to work with Congress to cancel up to $50k legislatively.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

The framing that taking the top tax rate back to what it was under Bill Clinton and the corporate tax rate back to what it was in 2018 is "eye-popping" is bad.

The capital gains rate would actually be higher than it ever has been, but also only by about 4%.

Oh yeah I mean the framing of it is lovely. I was just commenting on how I like the rates going up.

Also tax the poo poo out of crypto.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

eye-popping is one of the most irritating media cliches that only show up in political media analysis. Easily topped by "noshed" with a weird focus on what people are eating having meetings or being interviewed to establish their "common man" bona fides.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Skippy McPants posted:

Any time someone brings this up, all you have to do is point out that the 1% turned a massive profit during the pandemic. They made money hand over fist while the rest of us struggled and starved.

interesting argument. how do you respond to the counter argument: a pillowcase with a dollar sign on it stuffed with cash?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

eye-popping is one of the most irritating media cliches that only show up in political media analysis. Easily topped by "noshed" with a weird focus on what people are eating having meetings or being interviewed to establish their "common man" bona fides.
Nosh is perfectly ordinary conversational Yiddish.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

evilweasel posted:

interesting argument. how do you respond to the counter argument: a pillowcase with a dollar sign on it stuffed with cash?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

Just describe higher taxes as "Government-keeping-the-Guillotines-at-bay As A Service" and the techbros will line up for it.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Grouchio posted:

Unless Caitlyn Jenner gets rid of the California 529A plan I just signed up for, I don't see much a reason to be concerned as a non-Californian on the east coast.

...(she wouldn't would she?)

hey grouchio, i think i speak for every californian when i say we don't care what happens to you either

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

"Eye-popping" tax rates that are the same top rate as 1994, a corporate tax rate the same as it was in 2018, and a capital gains rate 3% higher than the rate in 1981.

I wish to God the media would stop putting halos on politicians.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

SubG posted:

Nosh is perfectly ordinary conversational Yiddish.

griped a capitol hill staffer noshing on a heaping plate of ribs, mashed potatoes and creamy potato salad trucked in from Dave's Joint, a local barbeque spot in Falls Church.

quote:

The real issue is the eye-popping use of punchy monosyllabic cliches that were started because they were short enough for justified type but are inexplicable and obnoxious now that everythings online.
he fumed between bites of the succulent smoked meat almost dissolving in his mouth from the tenderness before washing it all down with an ice-cold coca-cola.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 24, 2021

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

hey grouchio, i think i speak for every californian when i say we don't care what happens to you either
Buddy buddy buddy buddy
Buddy

I have had problems as of late figuring out what worries should and shouldn't concern me, because I cannot live life caring and hurting over everything. Thus: Jenner removing the 529A would be the only thing to directly impact me, I concluded.
Also I know dick about your state post-1850 so I don't know what your situation is. I hope it gets better and I hope you get a suitable dem replacement for governor.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

I hate to sound like a shitheel but I hope that capital gains rate only applies to like, really large, short term gains, and not when granny (or me) cashes in a $10k gain from a few shares of Standard Oil that have been in a safety deposit box for 60 years.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

So how about the GOP still insisting on recounts. Think they're setting up grounds to support the big lie?

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

I know that reading two whole pages of a thread is hard, but no, I don't think anybody is comparing "want[ing] Biden to fulfill campaign promises and roll back Trump's changes instead of embracing them" to left-wing authoritarianism. They're responding to this post:

Yeah, I know. I'm pointing out that Democrats are right-wing corporate sycophants that have no interest in making things fundamentally better, and you're a bad person for supporting them. The worsening material conditions created by liberals is fertile soil for fascists.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Flopsy posted:

So how about the GOP still insisting on recounts. Think they're setting up grounds to support the big lie?
"Setting up"? They already have all the evidence they need: Trump lost the election, therefore it was illegitimate. Anything that shows otherwise is fake news planted by Soros-funded Dem operatives.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Flopsy posted:

Since when are they ever not? The entire attitude since the 80s at least has been that any opposition to them is fundamentally illegitimate.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Number_6 posted:

I hate to sound like a shitheel but I hope that capital gains rate only applies to like, really large, short term gains, and not when granny (or me) cashes in a $10k gain from a few shares of Standard Oil that have been in a safety deposit box for 60 years.

iirc capital gains is the rate used for investment income longer than a year. if the investment is held for less than a year its taxed like normal income.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

"Setting up"? They already have all the evidence they need: Trump lost the election, therefore it was illegitimate. Anything that shows otherwise is fake news planted by Soros-funded Dem operatives.

Yeah but now you have a cabal of nutcases that are being given access to real ballots. For whatever it's worth I guess I dunno.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Number_6 posted:

Short term capital gains are taxed as ordinary income. Long term capital gains are taxed depending on your income level, so you and granny (and really almost eveyone) don't really have to worry too much here.

E: right now your yearly income probably has to be in the 400k+ range to hit the top capital gains rate.

VikingofRock fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 24, 2021

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

Buddy buddy buddy buddy
Buddy

I have had problems as of late figuring out what worries should and shouldn't concern me, because I cannot live life caring and hurting over everything. Thus: Jenner removing the 529A would be the only thing to directly impact me, I concluded.
Also I know dick about your state post-1850 so I don't know what your situation is. I hope it gets better and I hope you get a suitable dem replacement for governor.

you know you're allowed to just not comment on things you think won't concern you, right

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Number_6 posted:

The proposal is to tax long-term capital gains at the same rate as ordinary income, plus a small existing Medicare surcharge, for people with total income over $1 million/yr. Short-term capital gains are already taxed as ordinary income. The favorable tax treatment for long-term capital gains is one of the biggest giveaways to the wealthy in the American tax system (which is not short on giveaways to the wealthy) and this has been a necessary change for a very long time.

If a granny cashes out $10k on top of her social security check then she'd keep most of the money under this plan, unless she happened to have $990,000 in income from other sources, in which case I think she'll be OK paying some tax.

Axios is emphasizing the 43.4% number because they're trying to generate clicks with a shocking-sounding headline.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Number_6 posted:

It treats long-term capital gains as ordinary income. Short-term gains are already treated as ordinary income. You won't pay the top rate unless you make more than $1,000,000 in a year.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Flopsy posted:

Yeah but now you have a cabal of nutcases that are being given access to real ballots. For whatever it's worth I guess I dunno.

They keep finding things are fine, though. I don't understand how people can still believe this stuff when there's been recounts by people advancing the idea that Trump won and they still found nothing.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Grondoth posted:

They keep finding things are fine, though. I don't understand how people can still believe this stuff when there's been recounts by people advancing the idea that Trump won and they still found nothing.

It literally doesn't matter that the results made sense however many times they were counted the first time around. I get the feeling these people are exactly the type to either destroy or alter them to make it adhere to their loving insane conspiracy theory.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Grondoth posted:

But this time it will be different!

Just like the idea that trickle-down economics works, we'll see that any day now!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Flopsy posted:

It literally doesn't matter that the results made sense however many times they were counted the first time around. I get the feeling these people are exactly the type to either destroy or alter them to make it adhere to their loving insane conspiracy theory.
Let's be real, they aren't smart enough to alter ballots in any way that won't be hilariously obvious. At best they'll find one or two "weird" ballots and scream themselves hoarse. In order to actually overturn the AZ results they'd need to find ten thousand.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It really can't be emphasised enough that these people genuinely don't care what the reality is. They expect third world dictatorship style 'irregularities have been found with the voting process' fig-leafs for a blatant coup. Any system that does not act entirely in their favour is illegitimate. The idea of 'trusting the process' like liberals are taught to do is entirely ridiculous to them, as they are used to a system that exists solely for their benefit and no one else's.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

when i was a kid. i always thought the monkey was kinda of out of place. but then i learned back in the day you could just order them out of magazines/comic books.

Oof, that's just devastatingly tragic & evil.

https://www.nrdc.org/onearth/so-you-want-pet-squirrel-monkey

quote:

One winter when my mom was about eight years old, my grandfather brought home a squirrel monkey. She had no idea where he got it (he was always bringing home bizarre attractions—one time a cotton candy machine, another time homing pigeons), but as she remembers it, the primate stayed with them for two miserable weeks.

“The poor little thing was cold, scared, and wanted nothing to do with us,” she told me recently. “He hid in the corner of his cage and screamed whenever anyone came near him.

“I would never want one in my house,” says Anita Stone, a primatologist at Eastern Michigan University who has studied squirrel monkeys in Brazil for more than a decade. “They’re very destructive.”

Of the many primates you could have for a pet, squirrel monkeys—of which there are at least five species—require an insane amount of care and attention. You have to entertain and stimulate them and then clean up the messes they make when you fail to sufficiently entertain and stimulate them. And because they’re social animals, it’s recommended you keep more than one or none at all.

Oh, and that thing you’ve seen on TV about monkeys throwing their feces? That’s a real thing. My mom remembers it vividly. You can also expect frequent masturbation. If you aren’t cool with that, then don’t get a monkey, advises petmonkeyinfo.com. And yet, people still want them in their homes.

"This abused monkey will go insane of boredom & cold and throw poo poo at you and spank the monkey in plain sight of the kids!"
"Ooh I want one! Just mail it to me!"

Stick to sea monkeys, kids.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

If there’s one thing Californians love, it’s famous people.
If there’s another thing Californians love, it’s cutting off our nose to spite our face.
And if there’s a last thing Californians love, it’s believing bullshit backed up by a lot of rich people money.

To be clear, I don’t actually think this will work. However, it’s the only way I could see Newsom getting ousted and I have to mentally prepare myself for the worst :v:

Democrats aren't going to vote for a Republican. Republicans aren't going to vote for a transwoman. She has no constituency.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Katt posted:

What do you think Kyrsten Sinemas deal is?

She's a Democratic senator in Arizona so she ha no chance in hell of a second term. It looks like she's spending her 1 term to collect as many favors as she possibly can from the wealthy establishment. So when she loses her seat she can cash out with a long line of cushy jobs.

At the same time I don't think the minimum wage thing was ever going to pass. The democrats just talked it over and when they realized that she was going to shot it down. A bunch of other senators felt safe in voting for it. Who in a different situation would have been called on by their overlords to vote it down instead.

At the same time she's kind of taking the super villain thing a bit too far. There are far wealthier Democrats in the pocket of big business that now get to act progressive because she's there to gleefully shot down the progressive legislation in their place. meanwhile they get to demonize the poo poo out of her and blame her for everything. She still has another 30-40 years left in politics and even for her own sake I think it might have served her better to just vote it down and then keep a low profile.

Dems have won the last two senate races and the last Presidential race there.

As things are going now, I expect her to be primaried, and whoever wins the primary will be the favorite.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

Dems have won the last two senate races and the last Presidential race there.

As things are going now, I expect her to be primaried, and whoever wins the primary will be the favorite.

Primary a pro-business democrat in a battleground state? I'm not so sure. I mean. I'd love to see it. But red states typically drink the kool-aid about business.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Sinema is way more likely to lose the general than a primary

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Flopsy posted:

It's just chickens coming home to roost, same as with a lot of the worst stuff we see happening domestically. The reason it's stupid is because unlike in countries like Bolivia where we do this stuff to boost parties who campaign as open and explicit Nazis, this is entirely irrelevant because in the US only 538 people get to vote for president

They could alter every single vote in Arizona to be for Trump and it wouldn't matter because none of those votes for president actually counted any more than a twitter poll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

Democrats aren't going to vote for a Republican. Republicans aren't going to vote for a transwoman. She has no constituency.

Even beyond politics, virtually all the goodwill she accumulated from her transition has been winnowed away by her being a very public rear end in a top hat once the PR blitz was over. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone out there who still likes and respects Caitlyn Jenner.