Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It was a good race unless you bought into the hype of it being something extraordinary. It's still just a race at Bristol, just on dirt... and with preplanned pitstops every 50 laps...

It's like if you go to McDonald's expecting a 5 star lunch, you're going to be a lot less happy than if you go to McDonald's expecting to get some lovely rear end half beef burgers.

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I thought it was okay. I quit watching with something like 40 laps to go and made dinner, came back to see Logano doing donuts, and was disappointed that we didn't get a Suarez win. It's certainly better than watching a 1.5 mile oval though.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

based on the HYPE it was a poo poo race.. it was "diferent surface racing" not really dirt. I dunno it was okay.. it wasn't great, it wasn't the shitshow I expected.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Don't get me wrong, I definitely approve of NASCAR doing different things than years past. Introducing things like this "dirt" race and more road courses is definitely the way to go, and even if I wasn't a huge fan of the outcome, the effort to mix it up a bit is what's important here for me. NASCAR runs a lot of races every year, and I like to keep up with Xfinity and trucks as well as the cup series. Towards the end of the season (often earlier than that) I get pretty drat tired of watching the same cookie cutter 400 mile oval races over and over again. Some of those tracks just don't have any personality, nothing that distinguishes one from the other in any meaningful way.

I keep up with Indycar and F1 as well, and the variances in track layout is such a huge part of what keeps even their longer seasons interesting every weekend. Ovals are cool, but so many of them being so similar kills my enthusiasm. Mix that in with the drivers I like not having good seasons, and I quit paying attention for weeks at a time. Still, all that negativity about the sport aside, this year looks to have more going on than NASCAR has had in quite some time, and I'm optimistic so far.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

yeah that makes sense..
Like A+ on nascar for branching out and trying new things, just didn't live up to the hype. That coupled with tires that were poo poo, dust issues, etc etc. I'd say it's one of the best things nascar has done recently but that's a really low bar.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
From that viewpoint then I guess we can call it a win with room for improvement. It definitely beats the old way they did poo poo like the fan base begging for schedule changes and NASCAR coming back with Good news, we're gonna run Chicagoland twice!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I don't think "the hype" was ever that this was going to be some incredible perfect race, rather that it would be an interesting experiment that would potentially be a loving disaster. It almost was! But it wasn't.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

kidcoelacanth posted:

I don't think "the hype" was ever that this was going to be some incredible perfect race, rather that it would be an interesting experiment that would potentially be a loving disaster. It almost was! But it wasn't.

Best Season EverTM

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

tater_salad posted:

Like A+ on nascar for branching out and trying new things, just didn't live up to the hype. That coupled with tires that were poo poo, dust issues, etc etc. I'd say it's one of the best things nascar has done recently but that's a really low bar.

The idea was fine, but the execution was poo poo.

If the dirt is going to be on Bristol for more than a month, why aren't they testing on it before the race weekend? Get one or two Cup cars out there doing laps and you'd know in advance that the tires weren't going to last. Teams can know that going in and adjust their setups accordingly, giving them more meaningful practice time. NASCAR can know ahead of time and adjust the race format ahead of time. The track can know that ahead of time to maybe adjust their prep to make the track better for them. Instead, they got two practice sessions and no meaningful race action before the track was washed out for two days.

Thankfully there were no huge issues during the race, but NASCAR is playing with fire by just throwing out these wacky ideas and hoping nothing bad will come from them. It's like they assume everything will work perfectly and go smoothly no matter what, but leave themselves open for major disaster and embarrassment if it doesn't because they don't care to plan ahead. And even if things work out great, the result might ultimately turn out to be a "meh" to okay race, not meeting the level of hype, which is what dirt Bristol pretty much was in the end.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

that race made me really want to go to a super late model race

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
The first race of this kind was horrible, kill the concept forever

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ostentatious posted:

who the gently caress is derrike cope

You son of a bitch.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ostentatious posted:

who the gently caress is derrike cope

DAYTONA 500 Winner Derrike Cope!
Also Daytona 500 Daughter Entrant having Derrike Cope!

never thoguht I'd see such terrible word said here in nascar thread..

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

loving bring back Eldora, cowards

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

iospace posted:

now this.. these words are what's needed in this thread..

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

iospace posted:

:yeah:

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

iospace posted:

New thread title right here.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

:hmmyes:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Hey, speaking of Eldora:

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsGang/status/1382332870988066816

Booth: Allen Bestwick, Dan Ica/Dario Franchitti/James Hinchcliffe (two races each)
Pits: Matt Yocum
Host: Lindsay Czarniak
Roaming Reporter: Brad Daugherty

I wish they'd have involved Schrader somehow or reunited AB and Wally, but this is a good crew, right here. :golfclap:

E- the three drivers are analysts only. I thought they were in-race reporters at first.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 14, 2021

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

wtf is SRX racing.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

tater_salad posted:

wtf is SRX racing.
IROC-style series started by Tony Stewart and Ray Evernham

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

Hey, speaking of Eldora:

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsGang/status/1382332870988066816

Booth: Allen Bestwick, Dan Ica/Dario Franchitti/James Hinchcliffe (two races each)
Pits: Matt Yocum
Host: Lindsay Czarniak
Roaming Reporter: Brad Daugherty

I wish they'd have involved Schrader somehow or reunited AB and Wally, but this is a good crew, right here. :golfclap:

E- the three drivers are analysts only. I thought they were in-race reporters at first.

That would have been good, to have Schrader be a part of it. I'm pretty sure I saw a tweet at some point that he was testing these cars on dirt somewhere so it would have been pretty good insight from somebody that actually drove one of the cars. Oh and also because he's awesome.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Guess the truck series is scraping the bottom of the barrel to get people to give the start your engines command...

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

richmond's whole sponsorship deal in the spring is toyota and at-track hospitality for people who have toyotas so they probably held a contest outside the track or something

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Guess the truck series is scraping the bottom of the barrel to get people to give the start your engines command...

You're going to love the fan-created name for the Kansas Cup race.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
JJC got denied Talladega. This doesn't make me happy.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
That's rather silly; she's run at Daytona and Talladega in Trucks and Xfinity many times before, so it's not like she doesn't have any experience at those tracks. Sure, she's never run a Cup car and there's no practice, but 'Dega's probably the easiest place to start off in Cup for someone with that much superspeedway experience in the lower divisions.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
The plate tracks are super easy to drive, yes.

Racing there is a lot less leniency for any errors though, that's why.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

If Quin Hoff is out there it's bold to say anybody else doesn't have the chops

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Didnt they basically deny her because she seem to have a temper problem?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

says the sanctioning body that continues to let the Busch brothers race in all their series.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

CactusWeasle posted:

Didnt they basically deny her because she seem to have a temper problem?

I'm guessing it is partially related to being called to the hauler after Richmond for getting into it with Norm Benning. Maybe that particular meeting didn't go well and NASCAR just said, you know what, if you can't run around the back of the pack without causing problems and then you're gonna argue with us about it then forget it we aren't letting you out there on a Sunday. Especially on a track where a minor mistake or a small payback may result in a huge crash.

That's just speculation. I think at somepoint NASCAR even addressed the Richmond incident and said the decision had nothing to do with it but that could have been bullshit too. She could have been completely apologetic for the backmarker scuffle at Richmond and NASCAR are being dicks for the sake of being dicks or that the powers that be in making the decision to let her race or not don't like her or something. She's at least been racing in the top 3 series this year. They let Derrick Cope start the 500 in his 60's after a few years away so they aren't exactly being consistent on why they are letting some people race and some people not. NASCAR inconsistent with rulings? Shocker there.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

:siren: LOL ARCADEGA now on FS1 :siren:.

They've done an :effort: job with track drying and the bottom line is wet. I'm sure this will be fine.

bigbillystyle posted:

I'm guessing it is partially related to being called to the hauler after Richmond for getting into it with Norm Benning. Maybe that particular meeting didn't go well and NASCAR just said, you know what, if you can't run around the back of the pack without causing problems and then you're gonna argue with us about it then forget it we aren't letting you out there on a Sunday. Especially on a track where a minor mistake or a small payback may result in a huge crash.

That's just speculation. I think at somepoint NASCAR even addressed the Richmond incident and said the decision had nothing to do with it but that could have been bullshit too. She could have been completely apologetic for the backmarker scuffle at Richmond and NASCAR are being dicks for the sake of being dicks or that the powers that be in making the decision to let her race or not don't like her or something. She's at least been racing in the top 3 series this year. They let Derrick Cope start the 500 in his 60's after a few years away so they aren't exactly being consistent on why they are letting some people race and some people not. NASCAR inconsistent with rulings? Shocker there.

I wondered if her use of The Matt Kenseth Defense factored into it.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 24, 2021

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

I'm going to assume nascar has a legit reason for holding her out, and assuming that's true it would seem petty to tell everybody what that reason is

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

whoa

https://proxy.espn.com/espn/page2/story?id=1095213

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson posted:

The violent death of Dale Earnhardt hit the sport of professional auto racing harder than anything in memory since the assassination of John Kennedy. People who'd never even watched a NASCAR race were deeply disturbed by it, for reasons they couldn't quite explain. It seemed to send a message, an urgent warning signal that something with a meaning beyond the sum of its parts had gone Wrong & would go Wrong again if something big wasn't cured -- not just in racing, but in the machinery of the American nation.

On the surface it was just another bad crash on a racetrack down in Redneck country. What the hell? It happens all the time. But this one had a resonance that echoed all over the country. It was the death of a national hero for no good reason at all -- just an Occupational Hazard of the Speed business, shrug it off, forget it.

But it was more than that. People noticed it, like they would definitely notice if Michael Jordan had been instantly killed by a brutal & deliberate foul to keep him from scoring in the final seconds of a close game.

Or if John Elway had been killed during a routine play in the last two minutes of a scoreless Super Bowl by a 300-pound blitzing linebacker, who knew he would get a big Bonus for knocking a famous quarterback out of the game. Permanently. Dead from a broken neck.

Those ripples would have been noticed far beyond the city limits of Denver. And the killing of a hero like Elway could not have been shrugged off by somebody saying, "Sorry, but that's the way the game is played."

Well, no. That is Not the way the game is played -- at least not for long, as anybody who watched the NFL last season can tell you. At least half of the league's star quarterbacks were injured by violent collisions. The Oakland Raiders alone crippled nine (9) opposing quarterbacks by themselves -- so there was some kind of poetic justice in their being knocked out of the Super Bowl when the Ravens injured Rich Gannon.

Tony Siragusa's hit might have pleased the stupid bastards from the Backyard Wrestling crowd, but it also cost CBS about 15 percent of its TV audience for the Big Game. Millions of fans all over the country lost interest when the Raiders went down.

Watching Ray Lewis play defense might have been interesting -- but it was nothing like watching the highest scoring Offense in the League going against a racehorse team like the Vikings. Savage Defense might be the way to win football games, but it is sure as hell not what puts Meat in the Seats -- no more than losing three of its star drivers in ten (10) months is going to make the NASCAR ratings skyrocket.

Or maybe, God help us, it Will. There is an ever-growing appetite for Violence as Entertainment in this country -- especially among those in the 18-35 demographic that TV is targeting -- that something Dark & Disastrous is going to come of it. There is a good commercial reason why Fox just paid for TV rights to NASCAR, and it is exactly the same reason why every recently built racetrack from California to Maine is designed about 20 feet Wider than tracks were built in the old days, when it was physically impossible for more than three (3) cars to run side by side at 180 mph in the straightaway -- the new & Wider tracks have created the blood-curdling spectacle of four cars running fender-to-fender at top speed.

"It makes the racing vastly more Exciting," say the auto-sport czars. "It dramatically raises the Potential-Disaster factor & whips the fans into a frenzy."

Right. Blood & guts, bread & Circuses, human brains all over the asphalt. The people of Rome demanded more & more Death & Cruelty on their Sunday afternoons at the Coliseum -- until Nobody was left to Sacrifice. They ran out of Victims.

And so will the NFL, the NBA and NASCAR. That is what makes people nervous about the meaning of Dale Earnhardt's death. It is the American Dream run amok. Watch it & weep.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

Love Hunter, but he was being a bit overdramatic especially considering Nascar became way safer in response to the thing he's talking about and nobody's died since.

Also: lolgano

chamois fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 25, 2021

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

stage 2 patch notes: joey logano has been removed

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Why would Denny put himself in a position to get wtecked when he was probably one of the only cars a lap down and could easily have gotten the free pass?

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Why would Denny put himself in a position to get wtecked when he was probably one of the only cars a lap down and could easily have gotten the free pass?

that was about the stupidest sequence of driving i've ever seen. he almost put his 23 in the wall with 2 laps to go until he got the free pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Thanks for that Truex