Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

WITCHCRAFT posted:

It's not something you consciously think about all the time, but your brain keeps a list of Forbidden Foods Based on Past Experience. As soon as it touches your tongue, some deep instinctual part of your brain is slapping the tongue and nose receptors with a ruler. NO, NO, BAD, THIS BAD, YOU GET SICK, DO NOT EAT. CANNOT EAT. YOU GET REAL SICK. NO. NO!

I got sick after eating a spicy mapo dofu once, I don't think it was even the dish itself but something else I had that day. I had trouble eating anything with sichuan pepper for at least a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

bob dobbs is dead posted:

dragonfruit is the worst because it looks like itll taste amazing and it tastes like nothing. even in tropical areas where its supposed to be grown and stuff it tastes like nothing

It's telling that Dragonfruit is so weird looking and unfamiliar at the time to most people that Kamen Rider Gaim(a series that had it's whole aesthetic built around fruits) used them as the props for the series' "Helheim" fruit with only very minor modification, they're that alien looking

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Honestly, I'd give it a bite or two. I don't like blueberries, but I can imagine the taste going decently together. A bit like white chocolate and cranberry, two flavors I despise singly, but taste good together.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Dareon posted:

Honestly, I'd give it a bite or two. I don't like blueberries, but I can imagine the taste going decently together. A bit like white chocolate and cranberry, two flavors I despise singly, but taste good together.

I feel like it would be heavily dependent on the cheese in question being used I imagine

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Dareon posted:

Cheese and fruit pair well, and blueberries really aren't that sweet, mostly tart; as long as its just one or two per bite its probably pretty good.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I could see it working well with cranberries, Wensleydale already exists with built-in cranberries.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

dog nougat posted:

Lol if you go don't go to bars where they just eyeball a shot.

Lol if you go bars instead of the woods where you got your own still.

Jug-lyfe

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Sweet pasta casserole with cheese is a popular cheap kids' dish around here. But the cheese is quark, the fruit is usually apricots or plums, and it's topped with meringue.

Also it looks gross (I think it tastes gross as well, but most people seem to like it well enough)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

steinrokkan posted:

Sweet pasta casserole with cheese is a popular cheap kids' dish around here. But the cheese is quark, the fruit is usually apricots or plums, and it's topped with meringue.

Also it looks gross (I think it tastes gross as well, but most people seem to like it well enough)

Quark cheese? That's strange. I'm down with that casserole, though, it's got a kind of charm. What's up with the crust, if it has one? It's hard to tell from that picture, but a soggy bottom would be nearly as bad as a burnt top.

Sorry.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
That's just a deconstructed then reconstructed cheesecake.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

drrockso20 posted:

It's telling that Dragonfruit is so weird looking and unfamiliar at the time to most people that Kamen Rider Gaim(a series that had it's whole aesthetic built around fruits) used them as the props for the series' "Helheim" fruit with only very minor modification, they're that alien looking

same deal w thanos goin around picking kiwani melons

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dareon posted:

Quark cheese? That's strange. I'm down with that casserole, though, it's got a kind of charm. What's up with the crust, if it has one? It's hard to tell from that picture, but a soggy bottom would be nearly as bad as a burnt top.

Sorry.

It's rude to spin people's serious questions into jokes.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Obnoxipus posted:

apparently, it's vegan "organic blueberry and homegrown passionfruit banana ice cream."

passionfruit i can miss but i am sort of fascinated by fruits of the type that are just pods full of hundreds of little juice bags. pomegranates are the most famous but give some consideration to the humble kiwano melon perhaps?

or maybe the finger lime is more your speed?

juice bags

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wanna eat those juice bags.

My frequent self-challenge is to de-seed an entire pomegranate without damaging any of the seeds, they end up tasting much better that way than if you just buy the juice or machine-extracted seeds like a schnook

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I can strongly recommend SAC juice, which is tiny cans of mandarin juice filled with unbroken juice sacks from the mandarins. I have no idea how they separate the juice sacks and I'm not sure I want to know. It is very cheap, tasty and squishy. They pop in the mouth like little mini gushers.

Struggling to find a good picture, so here's a youtube of somebody being grossed out by the SACKS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAwbkSIW6ZY

Fruits of the sea has a new favorite as of 16:41 on Apr 26, 2021

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Data Graham posted:

My frequent self-challenge is to de-seed an entire pomegranate without damaging any of the seeds

Do you use the underwater method? It's way easier than dry.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rydiafan posted:

Do you use the underwater method? It's way easier than dry.

First, pretend to pull your hair back into a ponytail,

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://defector.com/lets-rate-the-dismal-beef-of-right-wing-internet-psychos-trying-to-own-imaginary-libs/

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

My brain is breaking trying to figure out how you cook the inside of a steak(?) more than the outside.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Microwave

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

non euclidian steak.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I think that's a smoked brisket, the outside turns pink and it's called a "smoke ring" usually the outside is seasoned forming an attractive "bark"

Here's a not unappetizing as gently caress picture of some smoked meat.

I think this is what was being aimed for.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

I ask relatively few things of a mayonnaise; one is that it not be brown. I decided to poke around a little bit and see what I could find on the subject. the answer is "basically nothing," but I did find some afp.

here's an article from the Elmira, NY Star-Gazette about local pizza joints:

https://www.stargazette.com/story/news/local/2019/10/06/love-first-slice-elmiras-first-pizzeria-debuted-75-years-ago/3868369002/

here's the salient bit:

and a clickbait puff piece from the Today show about Alton running out of oil and using mayo instead:

https://www.today.com/food/alton-brown-cooked-steak-slathered-mayonnaise-t137868

(I've done this with a roast chicken for the unadulterated hell of it. it's fine. I like olive oil better.)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

My brain is breaking trying to figure out how you cook the inside of a steak(?) more than the outside.
The pink ring is the smoke ring, similar chemistry as to why cured meat is pink even when it's cooked well through.

Efb
Dismal beef is a good username.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Fruits of the sea posted:

I can strongly recommend SAC juice

I also have a sac juice to recommend

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The one that is allegedly beef but somehow looks more like breaded ham is quite impressive too.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Never heard of a "reverse-sear" before I see...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Empty Sandwich posted:

I ask relatively few things of a mayonnaise; one is that it not be brown. I decided to poke around a little bit and see what I could find on the subject. the answer is "basically nothing," but I did find some afp.

here's an article from the Elmira, NY Star-Gazette about local pizza joints:

https://www.stargazette.com/story/news/local/2019/10/06/love-first-slice-elmiras-first-pizzeria-debuted-75-years-ago/3868369002/

here's the salient bit:

and a clickbait puff piece from the Today show about Alton running out of oil and using mayo instead:

https://www.today.com/food/alton-brown-cooked-steak-slathered-mayonnaise-t137868

(I've done this with a roast chicken for the unadulterated hell of it. it's fine. I like olive oil better.)

I have baked swordfish with a solid coating of mayo mixed with soy sauce surrounding it

You don't serve that part but it seals in the moisture during cooking

It's still not the best way but it worked fine

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:pastryno:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I know no pizza rules and all but how is it that anchovies became (or always were?) such a standard, basic, default component of a "pizza" that they are the only remotely pizza-like ingredient in that Hellmann's english muffin and mayonnaise recipe and that's somehow enough to qualify?

Like on a pizza alignment chart thing it'd be "has anchovies? ✅ IS PIZZA"

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

steinrokkan posted:

We got this economy double size boxed of mac and cheese and it was terrible, blander than anything I've had before and the noodles just melted like that in the pot and became a carb-mass.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Now this is a tour of Afghanistan I can fully support.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Would eat. Needs more chili sauce though

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

When I was studying abroad in Japan there was a bar in our lovely little backwaters town that all the students went to get poo poo faced and their "specialty" was chicken sashimi. AFAIK nobody got sick eating it but I couldn't bring myself to try it. Honestly it's imagining the texture that kinda weirds me out more than the potential for salmonella poisoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I've seen some disgusting food in these threads, but this is the first thing to just make me frown. It's a full sorrowful frown of disgust and pity for anyone who would not only think this is good food, but would want to eat it.

It's just shameful.