Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

lmao holy poo poo. Despite doing everything "right", near as I can tell, concerning Elina and Ekun, when I try to get him to turn away from revenge hell murder forever, he attacks me instead of backing down. I guess it's because I brought him to virtually every major story beat and wasn't ~~lawful~~ enough and got his affinity for me down or something. And there was no indication of this beforehand and there seems to be no way to "force" it or correct it in Bag of Tricks. This sure feels great and not like a waste of dozens of hours since I actually care about this character and want him to get a happy ending.
General affection when you do quests/plot matters only for romances, Ekun and other personal quests care only for specific flags. Like if you do not stop him from killing the troll kids.

Kobal2 posted:

Quick Q for those who are in the beta : are they also artifacts scattered about in a million pieces in demonland ? For some reason I was really fond of that (even if I was disappointed time and again when I thought "hey, another one, even number now, surely that's all of them ?")

No need to worry, Storyteller is back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

JamMasterJim posted:

General affection when you do quests/plot matters only for romances, Ekun and other personal quests care only for specific flags. Like if you do not stop him from killing the troll kids.

Spared the kids, nudged him toward Elina wherever possible during the picnic. I did, foolishly I guess, let him share a bottle with Ntavi tho.

Does anyone know where the Ekun flags are kept in the save file jsons or if those flags can be manipulated in Bag of Tricks?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

SpaceDrake posted:

Spared the kids, nudged him toward Elina wherever possible during the picnic. I did, foolishly I guess, let him share a bottle with Ntavi tho.

Does anyone know where the Ekun flags are kept in the save file jsons or if those flags can be manipulated in Bag of Tricks?

I think you have to do that at the Feast. Did you do the quest Bury the Past?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

JamMasterJim posted:

I killed the poo poo out of those troll babies and got his good ending no problem

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, I'm guessing it's probably something to do with Ntavi. Either a missed quest like Bury the Past, or some wrong answers involving her conversations. Or it could have bugged out, that's always possible.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Lord Koth posted:

Yeah, I'm guessing it's probably something to do with Ntavi. Either a missed quest like Bury the Past, or some wrong answers involving her conversations. Or it could have bugged out, that's always possible.

I'm specifically on Bury the Past and I can't not get him to attack me when trying to get him to back down from endless revenge

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i thought that one you had a fight regardless but the two options depending on flags were (a) to the death and (b) they get up at the end and y’all talk it out.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
A slew of new beta datamining's come out, looks like [Dino]Raptors and Triceratops are in and Legend might just be a straight up lv 40 character with classes still capped at 20 though I'm not 100% on that one yet. Plus most of the racial archetypes sans 2 I think:

Stonelord - Dwarf paladin
Spell dancer - Elf magus
Phantasmal mage - Gnome Arcanist
Reformed Fiend - Tiefling Bloodrager (bonus damage and DR against evil aligned creatures)
Student of Stone - Oread Monk
Purifier - Aasimar Oracle
Master of All - Half Elf rouge
Wildland Shaman - Half Orc Shaman
Imitator - Human slayer
Nine Tailed Heir - Kitsune sorcerer

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Perfect Potato posted:

A slew of new beta datamining's come out, looks like [Dino]Raptors and Triceratops are in and Legend might just be a straight up lv 40 character with classes still capped at 20 though I'm not 100% on that one yet. Plus most of the racial archetypes sans 2 I think:

Stonelord - Dwarf paladin
Spell dancer - Elf magus
Phantasmal mage - Gnome Arcanist
Reformed Fiend - Tiefling Bloodrager (bonus damage and DR against evil aligned creatures)
Student of Stone - Oread Monk
Purifier - Aasimar Oracle
Master of All - Half Elf rouge
Wildland Shaman - Half Orc Shaman
Imitator - Human slayer
Nine Tailed Heir - Kitsune sorcerer

Legend is pretty much what you described.

"All your ability scores are increased by 4. Your level cap has become 40 (you still can only get 20 levels in one character class), and the amount of XP needed to level up is drastically decreased."
And you pretty much lose everything related to your mythic path (but not certain if you lose mythic feats/abilities).

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
It'd be interesting to actually get to use level 20 abilities for a good chunk of the game, assuming you can max one class first.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Where is the datamining posted? The only place I'm getting on google search is rpgcodex, which you know ain't exactly a pleasant place to read.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

If I had to take a guess, probably some combination of the official discord, the beta forum, and/or the -chans. Two won't show up on google search, and the last generally only shows up if you specifically add it.

As for the datamining...

Those are some absolutely massive Legendary bonuses, and I can't help but wonder just how much your exp per level is reduced since it's already supposed to be a lategame path in the same vein as Gold Dragon and Swarm. It does seem fairly boring though, given it doesn't give you any of the path-unique flavors all the others do - mechanically powerful (particularly if they can advance BAB past 20 with all that entails) but visually boring. Perhaps the Legend storyline will make up for it though.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I've only read up a little on Mythic paths but my first thought is there's no way any of them can beat 20 extra levels in a different class, in terms of gameplay.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Why yes I would like +30 or +40 BAB.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Let me guess, though, I'm guessing Gold Dragon and Swarm still aren't in the new beta.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Lord Koth posted:

(particularly if they can advance BAB past 20 with all that entails)

What would stop it ? Just get to 20 in a martial class for flat 20 BAB, then every level in another class is gravy on top, no ?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Kobal2 posted:

What would stop it ? Just get to 20 in a martial class for flat 20 BAB, then every level in another class is gravy on top, no ?

While true, you don't get iterative attacks past the one at +16 no matter your BAB... though it would make the four you have hyper-accurate!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

blizzardvizard posted:

I've only read up a little on Mythic paths but my first thought is there's no way any of them can beat 20 extra levels in a different class, in terms of gameplay.

No, they definitely can’t. That sounds insanely busted which sucks because it definitely devalues all other Mythic Paths in so doing. Hopefully they come to their senses.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Captain Oblivious posted:

No, they definitely can’t. That sounds insanely busted which sucks because it definitely devalues all other Mythic Paths in so doing. Hopefully they come to their senses.

It all depends on *when* exactly it's available - from what I understand, it's meant to be a very late game bonus for eschewing mythic throughout the rest of the game ; so maybe available only in the very definitely final no fooling dungeon, or even the last part of it. In which case it would only allow you to effortlessly run rings around the last few encounters of the game, as a "reward" (more like bragging rights) for opting a harder path through the rest of the campaign than everyone else ; which doesn't seem so busted especially considering encounters are probably balanced around the player having his mythic poo poo online sooner rather than later.

(I'm not in the beta, this is pure speculation on my part)

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Prism posted:

While true, you don't get iterative attacks past the one at +16 no matter your BAB... though it would make the four you have hyper-accurate!

7. I mean, you're going to have a million hitpoints, a skyhigh BAB and more feats than Trump ever told lies ; it would be silly not to go for all the dual wield poo poo at this point ! :grin:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Legend is absolutely a lategame path, probably Chapter 5. It's been held up alongside Gold Dragon and Swarm in terms of plot placement, and we know those are in that timeframe.

Kobal2 posted:

Mainly I'm speculating by non-Pathfinder standards - i.e. 3.5 epic levels, where you do not advance BAB any further, but there's is a scaling bonus to attack as you get more epic levels. It's just hard to judge just what they're going to do with BAB advancement since it's not an issue in official PF (you cannot take levels past 20. period) and they likely will not use 3.5 epic rules.

For pure martials I understand the concern - though again I'd wait to see how it's implemented - but it's absolutely not true for spellcasters. You don't get the insanely busted mythic spells present for various paths, you don't get the various mythic abilities that do stuff like massively increase spells per day or being able to flat out ignore immunities. Hell, even a theurge build isn't all that much higher in CL than what you can already do with the mythic paths in mixing arcane/divine.

Also, while there could be an ability to break the hard cap in Legend, if there isn't it really needs to be remembered that practically all spells have CL caps for their damage or effects - Fireball capping at 10d6, for instance, or Disintegrate at 40d6 (CL20). Additionally there's not actually all that huge a gap in performance, outside theoretical damage dice that may not even be available, when compared to the two dedicated casting paths - Angel/Lich can already hit CL30 with merged spellbooks, and there's mythic abilities/feats that can massively boost your spell penetration, mostly closing that potential CL gap (also ignoring that quite a few mythic spells already ignore it anyways. And some are uncapped damage too).

Hell, even for martials there's absolutely insane stuff between the paths, mythic abilities, and mythic feats that make the choice much shakier than you imply.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Generally I think “ah but you only get it for the last <x> of the game!” is a poor way to balance the flagship feature of a game that is meant to shape your campaign as a whole and provide the crux of replayability.

That seems rather at odds with the mechanical, and narrative, purpose of Mythic Paths.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Wait, mythic path is separate from character level right?

So does mythic path not all unlock at the same point? In which case how could the game have any balance if someone can start a mythic path at chapter 3 and some start at chapter 5?

At best it means the MP is meaningless and just lore flavor. At worst you have to suffer and grind until late game to unlock the S tier mythic paths and then grind them?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Generally I think “ah but you only get it for the last <x> of the game!” is a poor way to balance the flagship feature of a game that is meant to shape your campaign as a whole and provide the crux of replayability.

That seems rather at odds with the mechanical, and narrative, purpose of Mythic Paths.

The narrative of the Legend path is that you're rejecting the Mythic Paths entirely, so it makes sense that you don't get the benefits for quite a while since you're pressured to give in and accept the power repeatedly.

pentyne posted:

Wait, mythic path is separate from character level right?

So does mythic path not all unlock at the same point? In which case how could the game have any balance if someone can start a mythic path at chapter 3 and some start at chapter 5?

At best it means the MP is meaningless and just lore flavor. At worst you have to suffer and grind until late game to unlock the S tier mythic paths and then grind them?

There are 3 "stages" to the mythic stuff that progress at various plot sections. The first few levels are just generic "Mythic Hero" abilities that's basically the same as those the companions get. The second is the core mythic paths that you get the chose from at Mythic level 3 if you've unlocked them: Aeon, Angel, Azata, Demon, Lich and Trickster. Then at some point you can unlock 3 late game paths: Legend, Gold Dragon and Swarm. You'd need to switch from your original path to these to progress them.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 3, 2021

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
We don't know how late game paths are handled yet.
In general, mythic path progresses with plot progression, but at some point, you can switch to a late path possibly.

Do you just get a new mythic for the last 2 mythic level ups and keep the rest of your abilities? Do you essentially get a respec of your mythic levels after 2? Nobody knows yet. And for Legend to be overpowered, it really depends on two things:

a)whether any caps for BAB/HP exist.
b)Whether you lose generic mythic feats and abilities, not just unique path abilities.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Kobal2 posted:

7. I mean, you're going to have a million hitpoints, a skyhigh BAB and more feats than Trump ever told lies ; it would be silly not to go for all the dual wield poo poo at this point ! :grin:

20 Monk dual wielding Kamas with Sorc 6 Eldritch Knight 10 for those sweet self buffs

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Mortismal Gaming did go over the mythic paths that are implemented so far, you can watch his vids here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEQ7KR9enYdQsB6kcMnw0NA/videos

And some of those powers make me seriously question whether another 20 levels can really compete with that.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Mortismal Gaming did go over the mythic paths that are implemented so far, you can watch his vids here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEQ7KR9enYdQsB6kcMnw0NA/videos

And some of those powers make me seriously question whether another 20 levels can really compete with that.

Also, quite a few of the paths were not feature complete (like Demon and trickster who got the later ranks of abilities ) and he did not show off the spellbooks you get.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey all, I'm having a hard time googling this:

Does masterwork (and therefore magical) armor increase the potential DeX bonus by one? Also does it change armor check penalties?

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hey all, I'm having a hard time googling this:

Does masterwork (and therefore magical) armor increase the potential DeX bonus by one? Also does it change armor check penalties?

-1 to armor check penalties. No dex bonus adjustment. That is harder to come by and usually needs Mithril or being a fighter with armor training.

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

JamMasterJim posted:

Also, quite a few of the paths were not feature complete (like Demon and trickster who got the later ranks of abilities ) and he did not show off the spellbooks you get.

And these were leaked now and some of them are pretty absurd. Like the third tier trickster persuasion one where if they fail their will save against being intimidated by you at the start of combat they just straight up make a coup de grace attack against themselves and potentially just die outright.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Er, you get Mythic levels in the first chapter. Legend isn't "the flagship feature of the game", it's one possible route you can take for the flagship feature.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
As nuts as having 20 more levels to do say full 20 Monk with Sorc/Dragon Disciple on top, Mythic breaks mechanics.

Any mythic party will simply roll over any non-mythic encounter.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Torrannor posted:

I mean, that's Mythic for you. Everything is busted and cray-cray, everything is designed to make the min-maxing 13 year old munchkin inside of you have his very first hard on all over again.

The trick is, of course, that enemies get their own Dragon Ball Z bullshit.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Kobal2 posted:

The trick is, of course, that enemies get their own Dragon Ball Z bullshit.

I cannot wait to see how they implement the special flavors of bullshit Xanthir, Baphomet, Deskari and especially Areelu get. :allears: Especially since they seem to be "Nyrissa-ing" Areelu and she's going to be a lot more directly plugged in to the entire plot than she was in the original AdPath, and she was already a good deal better about that than Nyrissa was.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

I cannot wait to see how they implement the special flavors of bullshit Xanthir, Baphomet, Deskari and especially Areelu get. :allears: Especially since they seem to be "Nyrissa-ing" Areelu and she's going to be a lot more directly plugged in to the entire plot than she was in the original AdPath, and she was already a good deal better about that than Nyrissa was.

Xanthir is definitely one of the wake up calls.

He starts the fight as a swarm caster and he is surrounded by minions, but when you do enough damage, he breaks into multiple swarms. With all the bullshit they have with stat damage, DR etc. And then, he Reforms at full Health and you can finally drop him
And this would normally be bad enough.
However, Xanthir at his point is at the end of his rope. He kinda wants you to end his misery. If you made a deal with Jerribeth to hand him over after his defeat, he goes NOPE, stands up and you have to do the above sequence all over again.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Zurai posted:

Er, you get Mythic levels in the first chapter. Legend isn't "the flagship feature of the game", it's one possible route you can take for the flagship feature.

Yes, that's the point. The fact that for many of these mythic paths you spend the majority of the game as something else, then only become the mythic path you actually want near the end, seems to run contrary to the idea of your mythic path personalizing/changing the overall flavor of the campaign (the stated purpose of Mythic Paths).

It's a dumb idea and a post facto rationalization of avoiding more work.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

JamMasterJim posted:

Xanthir is definitely one of the wake up calls.

He starts the fight as a swarm caster and he is surrounded by minions, but when you do enough damage, he breaks into multiple swarms. With all the bullshit they have with stat damage, DR etc. And then, he Reforms at full Health and you can finally drop him
And this would normally be bad enough.
However, Xanthir at his point is at the end of his rope. He kinda wants you to end his misery. If you made a deal with Jerribeth to hand him over after his defeat, he goes NOPE, stands up and you have to do the above sequence all over again.

That sounds unbearable, given that those enemy types were the absolute loving worst in KM by a pretty far margin, and everything I googled for a game answer about them, every post I found were "these enemies are loving bullshit" without a single person even trying to defend them.

If the Mythic path is equivalent to 20 more CL I guess it should be tolerable, but that requires such insanely specific counters I can't see anyone going into it blind at all able to handle it without re-configuring everything against that specific enemy.

Also, seriously wtf is the mythic path? I feel like every post about it is describing a different mechanic.

- Mythic Path unlocked via story, you start as mythic hero for the first 2 ranks
- 3rd Rank, big story event, pick mythic path based on "alignment" choices, aeon, azata, angel, demon, lich
****Mythic Paths only available if previously encountered before this******
- Mythic Path locks you into that "alignment" choice for future conversation options.
- Later you confirm and can change mythic path, or revert to mythic hero (Mythic paths you discover much later in game? Swarm, Gold Dragon, Legend?)
- So potentially, you can be a demon MP for 90% of the game, then change to an Angel MP, and get angel convo options in the end?

Sounds like a mess, trying to figure out picking a class that has synergies with your hero class, or is the mythic path just a separate feat path that works universally? Like any MP can take feats to improve ranged attacks, or bonuses to spells, but its not class specific? Like, does a ranger who takes the feats to boost summons who then takes the demon MP, does their demon summons benefit from the summon class boosts?

I'm kind of amped up for it, but I imagine if it's as complex as I think the character build guides are going to be a friggen mess. I'm kind of hoping that at worst it's just the typical min/max normal character, and then recommended MP abilities like an extra spell list with the best 2-3 MPs.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 3, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

pentyne posted:

- Mythic Path locks you into that "alignment" choice for future conversation options.
- Later you confirm and can change mythic path, or revert to mythic hero (Mythic paths you discover much later in game? Swarm, Gold Dragon, Legend?)
- So potentially, you can be a demon MP for 90% of the game, then change to an Angel MP, and get angel convo options in the end?

- You're not locked in to alignment choices but each Path does expect you to be within certain alignment parameters to progress. E.g. If you stop being Lawful as an Aeon you can't progress past a certain point until you're Lawful again. If you become evil as an Angel you can't progress etc. If you gently caress up your path enough you can get kicked out of it too.
- The 3 late game Paths are special cases for spoiler reasons.
- It's not that easy to switch, no. Swarm and Dragon are special in that you need to switch in to them for story reasons. If you get kicked off a path for being a puppy-hugging Lich or drunk rogue Aeon then you'll need to switch but I don't know the full details on how that would actually work and it's probably best that you don't try it in game.

pentyne posted:

Sounds like a mess, trying to figure out picking a class that has synergies with your hero class, or is the mythic path just a separate feat path that works universally? Like any MP can take feats to improve ranged attacks, or bonuses to spells, but its not class specific? Like, does a ranger who takes the feats to boost summons who then takes the demon MP, does their demon summons benefit from the summon class boosts?

I'm kind of amped up for it, but I imagine if it's as complex as I think the character build guides are going to be a friggen mess. I'm kind of hoping that at worst it's just the typical min/max normal character, and then recommended MP abilities like an extra spell list with the best 2-3 MPs.

Mythic Paths are separate your normal level progression, yeah. And most (all?) of them have versatile enough features that you have options to build as a melee/ranged/caster etc. Normal class features also do interact with the MP abilities, yeah.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

pentyne posted:

That sounds unbearable, given that those enemy types were the absolute loving worst in KM by a pretty far margin, and everything I googled for a game answer about them, every post I found were "these enemies are loving bullshit" without a single person even trying to defend them.

They're not really bullshit - they're just another iteration of enemies that go "do you have Class X in your party Y/N ?" - in this case X being a Wizard-like ; an Alkie or a Kineticist. In PnP, anything that flies and has a ranged attack asks the same question and they're a lot more common. And skeletons are the bane of low level dagger rogues (well, were, really - PF made low level undead much less annoying admittedly), constructs even moreso and golems are "do you have something that's *not* a wizard ?". Fey and enchanters are "do your frontliners have high Will ?". Blasters ask whether your team has Evasion or not*. And so on.
And then there's the archetypal "have you done something to piss off your DM lately ?" : a dragon fight in an antimagic zone.

Swarms are really nothing special - yeah, they do automatic damage, and yes you can't kill them with a sword but they cry for mommy when you have Empowered Fireball (or, hell, just Burning Hands) mem'd. You can also have your support casters use offensive wands for once, swarms don't have SR and will take a bunch of damage even when they effortlessly save ! As for the stat damage, that's what your wand of Lesser Resto is for. Kingmaker specifically even gives you a free Undead to put upfront whenever something like that comes along - Jaethal gives not a lonesome gently caress about no swarm, not even Mandragoras.

I'll take any swarm over an incorporeal, level/stat draining rear end in a top hat any day. Greater Shadows are a loving menace, especially when they know to beeline the casters. Steer right the gently caress away from DMs who think "Hmm, what if I gave a few of them class levels for the hell of it ?".

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 3, 2021