Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Big Beef City posted:

and fries - wet.

Wow. They are wet. :chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Wow. They are wet. :chloe:

It's fake food, it's pretty popular in Japan for restaurant displays.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Little sunny side up egg on top like a li'l hat.

I'd guess that entree would be shared among a table too.

There are any number of Japanese restaurant plastic food videos on youtube. Here's one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmlYPosuECQ

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Matte varnish exists smh

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

want me that nigiri clock at 1:40 gimme a big plate of coco's as the background

e: use the dark side of the coco's bowl as night hours and the rice as sunlight

spookykid fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 27, 2021

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

As a Southern boy born and raised I'm always down for some good collards. Some of the best I've ever had was at a random BBQ place in Copenhagen in the middle of some warehouse district. Those Danes knew what they were doing.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I like collard greens. Bitter foods generally are good when I'm in the mood.

Except brussel sprouts which can go gently caress themselves to hell. gently caress those balls of satan's farts.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
tamarind sauce works well with bitter foods wrt brussel sprouts and collard greens

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Tamarind owns.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah I like collard greens. Bitter foods generally are good when I'm in the mood.

Except brussel sprouts which can go gently caress themselves to hell. gently caress those balls of satan's farts.

You're wrong about Bro Spros, but it isn't surprising since most people gently caress them up.

Here is how you cook them

1) Cut brussel sprouts in half, and put them cut side down in a cold pan. Keep placing them until the bottom of the pan is filled
2) Add some fat to the pan (a few tablespoons). Butter or canola oil are the best.
3) Turn on your stove and cook the spros until they get browned on the bottom side, then mix them around in the pan for a minute.
4) Salt and pepper to taste.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Are bitter leaves covered in oil the thread mascot at this point? Besides Howdy! I mean.

Feels like we end up talking brussels sprouts or greens every other week.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Aardvark! posted:

and get this: it's all made of plastic. yuck!

Ah, real American food

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

zedprime posted:

Are bitter leaves covered in oil the thread mascot at this point? Besides Howdy! I mean.

Feels like we end up talking brussels sprouts or greens every other week.

yeah every time someone says brussel sprouts are bad (they are), someone comes in with a recipe everyone has already eaten as if it makes them good (it doesn't)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Some people have a mutation that makes broccoli, brussels sprouts, and other brassicas taste really bitter and awful, so they will never get to experience the joys of eating them.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

brussel sprouts are so good. cooking them properly largely neutralizes the excessive bitterness and then they crisp on the outside while they steam on the inside and then you can toss them with bacon, dates and sautéed onions or whatever.

McGavin posted:

Some people have a mutation that makes broccoli, brussels sprouts, and other brassicas taste really bitter and awful, so they will never get to experience the joys of eating them.

:(

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Brussels Sprouts and collards taste pretty much the same. To say "I really like one but the other is terrible" is a pretty wild opinion. And by wild I mean stupid.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I feel like the lima bean needs another look. My parents probably cooked those all wrong, too.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

A lot of people just bake brussel sprouts, which us a truly terrible way to make them.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Roasted brussels sprouts are amazing and my favourite way to eat them.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i always have the frozen packs of buttered brussel sprouts in my freezer. eat at least one a week. :yum:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I feel like the lima bean needs another look. My parents probably cooked those all wrong, too.

Man I haven't even seen a lima bean since I was like 12 years old. I'm sure they're fine steamed with salt sprinkled over, kinda like edamame except not nearly as good.

Do people even eat those anymore?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've read on these forums a few times that the brussels sprouts (woah, didn't know it was brussels, always thought it was brussel but I googled it because my spellcheck got it) that we eat today are not the same ones our moms boiled as kids. Like, they were selectively bred to get rid of some of the bitterness. I can't back that up but I've I've seen it a few times here.

I just bought some frozen ones a few days ago and am going to try to thaw and roast them. My dad makes them in the pan with butter and brown sugar and that is just lovely.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Play posted:

Man I haven't even seen a lima bean since I was like 12 years old. I'm sure they're fine steamed with salt sprinkled over, kinda like edamame except not nearly as good.

We only eat subscription nutri-paste now

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
somebody needs to discover an "ancient" lima bean strain and call it a name from a foreign language. we'd all be eating them within a few years

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
I'm a basic bean boy bitch and I love those trader joe's giant cannellini beans in tomato sauce. As for lima, salt n pepper and just a hint of butter.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Lima beans are a shape I don't know what to do with. Either in the kitchen or in my mouth.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Spazzle posted:

You're wrong about Bro Spros, but it isn't surprising since most people gently caress them up.

Here is how you cook them

1) Cut brussel sprouts in half, and put them cut side down in a cold pan. Keep placing them until the bottom of the pan is filled
2) Add some fat to the pan (a few tablespoons). Butter or canola oil are the best.
3) Turn on your stove and cook the spros until they get browned on the bottom side, then mix them around in the pan for a minute.
4) Salt and pepper to taste.

No you don't understand: every time someone says the same thing as you "oh they've been cooked wrong here's the right way to cook them" they still taste like absolute loving poo poo.

Here's how to properly cook brussel sprouts: throw them into the compost pile and then once processed, use the compost to grow vegetables that are actually meant for human consumption because brussel sprouts are loving garbage.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

"Bro spros". Lol. Nah.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

McGavin posted:

I feel like I've heard so many reasons for why brassicas, specifically broccoli and Brussels sprouts, were the stereotypical "bitter vegetable" that people, especially kids, hate.

1) Bad prep. People would (and plenty still do) just boil/steam the poo poo out of them.
2) Different breeds. Notably I recently read that the breed of Brussels sprouts used until recently were much more bitter.
3) Genetics. Some people will always think brassicas taste super bitter.

I'm glad that we've solved 1 and 2, and I feel bad for the people in #3. Similar to the cilantro=soap people, some people will just never get to enjoy the good flavor of certain foods.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

No you don't understand: every time someone says the same thing as you "oh they've been cooked wrong here's the right way to cook them" they still taste like absolute loving poo poo.

Here's how to properly cook brussel sprouts: throw them into the compost pile and then once processed, use the compost to grow vegetables that are actually meant for human consumption because brussel sprouts are loving garbage.

I pity sad little mutants like you.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I still thoroughly enjoy broccoli and cilantro is awesome. BSprouts just loving suck. No loss to me and more for your garbage mouth to eat

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

McGavin posted:

I pity sad little mutants like you.

i feel like i dodged a genetic bullet. i love brassica, i love cilantro. a whole world of flavor is denied to these poor mutated weirdos.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 27, 2021

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

There's this appetizer I've had at restaurants that consists of brussel sprouts steamed then flash fried, served with olive oil, capers, lemon juice, anchovies and some salt. It's amazing.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jo3F29JSfs

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
the space alien grill and bar is located in

north dakota

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Aardvark! posted:

north dakota

It's the only thing good about Bismarck ND.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Aardvark! posted:

north dakota

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorman_dogfight

North Dakota has their own unique chapter in the story of disclosure!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

bossanova and tromp la monde are both 100% distilled 90s Americana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Play posted:

Succotash is definitely Americana.

And now I’m thinking about butter beans too.