Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/DisneyD23/status/35098942777597952?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

:staredog:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

what the gently caress!!!

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently it's a different guy with a very unfortunate name

nut
Jul 30, 2019

smarxist posted:

Apparently it's a different guy with a very unfortunate name

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rambling-reporter/disney-publicist-jeffrey-epstein-is-not-jeffrey-epstein-1229577

tho didn't those pics of epstein at Disney World/Land include him in some kind of VIP area? Maybe I'm making that up

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

nut posted:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rambling-reporter/disney-publicist-jeffrey-epstein-is-not-jeffrey-epstein-1229577

tho didn't those pics of epstein at Disney World/Land include him in some kind of VIP area? Maybe I'm making that up

https://twitter.com/slyfox__/status/1356753970430115840

I mean we already know that Jeffrey Epstein doesn't exist, so why wouldn't they just make two Jeffrey Epsteins?

nut
Jul 30, 2019

seems like disney hired this Jeffrey Epstein in late 2008 hmmm

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

PuErhTeabag posted:

Since nobody replied to the name I recognize, Casolaro is the journalist who was looking into Inslaw/PROMIS and allegedly committed suicide by slashing both wrists in a hotel bathtub where he was supposed to be meeting someone related to his investigation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Casolaro

whom David McGowan, ada in Albuquerque who was suicided along with his entire family, was once investigating before stumbling into a rampart like police scheme that was tangent.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

In other CIA news:

https://twitter.com/cstross/status/1387008830421282818

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I think I had a manganese nodule removed once

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/apr/27/the-clockwork-universe-is-free-will-an-illusion

quote:

The difficulty in explaining the enigma of free will to those unfamiliar with the subject isn’t that it’s complex or obscure. It’s that the experience of possessing free will – the feeling that we are the authors of our choices – is so utterly basic to everyone’s existence that it can be hard to get enough mental distance to see what’s going on. Suppose you find yourself feeling moderately hungry one afternoon, so you walk to the fruit bowl in your kitchen, where you see one apple and one banana. As it happens, you choose the banana. But it seems absolutely obvious that you were free to choose the apple – or neither, or both – instead. That’s free will: were you to rewind the tape of world history, to the instant just before you made your decision, with everything in the universe exactly the same, you’d have been able to make a different one.

Nothing could be more self-evident. And yet according to a growing chorus of philosophers and scientists, who have a variety of different reasons for their view, it also can’t possibly be the case. “This sort of free will is ruled out, simply and decisively, by the laws of physics,” says one of the most strident of the free will sceptics, the evolutionary biologist Jerry Coyne. Leading psychologists such as Steven Pinker and Paul Bloom agree, as apparently did the late Stephen Hawking, along with numerous prominent neuroscientists, including VS Ramachandran, who called free will “an inherently flawed and incoherent concept” in his endorsement of Sam Harris’s bestselling 2012 book Free Will, which also makes that argument. According to the public intellectual Yuval Noah Harari, free will is an anachronistic myth – useful in the past, perhaps, as a way of motivating people to fight against tyrants or oppressive ideologies, but rendered obsolete by the power of modern data science to know us better than we know ourselves, and thus to predict and manipulate our choices.

By far the most unsettling implication of the case against free will, for most who encounter it, is what it seems to say about morality: that nobody, ever, truly deserves reward or punishment for what they do, because what they do is the result of blind deterministic forces (plus maybe a little quantum randomness). “For the free will sceptic,” writes Gregg Caruso in his new book Just Deserts, a collection of dialogues with his fellow philosopher Daniel Dennett, “it is never fair to treat anyone as morally responsible.” Were we to accept the full implications of that idea, the way we treat each other – and especially the way we treat criminals – might change beyond recognition.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Inspector Hound posted:

I think I had a manganese nodule removed once

manganeez nutz

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
we already know about Pinker and Hawking

quote:

[Daniel] Dennett was born on March 28, 1942, in Boston, Massachusetts,[12] the son of Ruth Marjorie (née Leck) and Daniel Clement Dennett Jr.[13][14] Dennett spent part of his childhood in Lebanon, where, during World War II, his father was a covert counter-intelligence agent with the Office of Strategic Services posing as a cultural attaché to the American Embassy in Beirut.[15] When he was five, his mother took him back to Massachusetts after his father died in an unexplained plane crash.[16]

the article uses Charles Whitman as an example:

quote:

Consider the case of Charles Whitman. Just after midnight on 1 August 1966, Whitman – an outgoing and apparently stable 25-year-old former US Marine – drove to his mother’s apartment in Austin, Texas, where he stabbed her to death. He returned home, where he killed his wife in the same manner. Later that day, he took an assortment of weapons to the top of a high building on the campus of the University of Texas, where he began shooting randomly for about an hour and a half. By the time Whitman was killed by police, 12 more people were dead, and one more died of his injuries years afterwards – a spree that remains the US’s 10th worst mass shooting.

Within hours of the massacre, the authorities discovered a note that Whitman had typed the night before. “I don’t quite understand what compels me to type this letter,” he wrote. “Perhaps it is to leave some vague reason for the actions I have recently performed. I don’t really understand myself these days. I am supposed to be an average reasonable and intelligent young man. However, lately (I can’t recall when it started) I have been a victim of many unusual and irrational thoughts [which] constantly recur, and it requires a tremendous mental effort to concentrate on useful and progressive tasks … After my death I wish that an autopsy would be performed to see if there is any visible physical disorder.” Following the first two murders, he added a coda: “Maybe research can prevent further tragedies of this type.” An autopsy was performed, revealing the presence of a substantial brain tumour, pressing on Whitman’s amygdala, the part of the brain governing “fight or flight” responses to fear.

1966 puts it right in the range of MKULTRA

quote:

Although Whitman had been prescribed drugs, and Whitman had a vial containing dextroamphetamine on his body after his death, the autopsy could not establish if he had consumed any drugs prior to the shooting. Whitman's bodily fluids had been removed and his body embalmed prior to the autopsy, so there was no urine to test for the amphetamines. However, it was revealed during the autopsy that Whitman had a Glioblastoma tumor in the hypothalamus region of his brain. Some have theorized that this may have been pressed against the nearby amygdala, which can have an effect on fight/flight responses. This has led some neurologists to speculate that his medical condition was in some way responsible for the attacks, as well as his personal and social frames of reference.[3]

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

The Saucer Hovers posted:

:monocle:

and they all jacked off in the same coffin

They were just big Wilhelm Reich fans

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/MarkSZaidEsq/status/1386845124186017793?s=20

PuErhTeabag
Sep 2, 2018

Danger posted:

whom David McGowan, ada in Albuquerque who was suicided along with his entire family, was once investigating before stumbling into a rampart like police scheme that was tangent.

Is this the same one who wrote Programmed to Kill?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
McGowan died of lung cancer after being hit in the chest by the CIA cancer gun.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

PuErhTeabag posted:

Is this the same one who wrote Programmed to Kill?

No, different guy.

Also it was CA, not New Mexico:
https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna7805321

Whats not in that is he was under tremendous pressure to change his findings in an investigation of police corruption.

Danger has issued a correction as of 18:57 on Apr 27, 2021

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Ah yes, everything is determined. Please ignore this thing we call QUANTUM RANDOMNESS...

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fried Watermelon posted:

Ah yes, everything is determined. Please ignore this thing we call QUANTUM RANDOMNESS...

Yeah the "and a bit of quantum randomness" is like "uh hol up i think this means something about your premise..."

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

quantum effects do not influence macro-scale processes in your brain, not even in the microtubules.

your brain might as well be fully deterministic BUT the main thing here is that "you" do stuff that you think you just thought of, but it turns out your conscious awareness was just getting the memo late.

gesture is neurologically prior to speech. gross motor action potentials show up before "you" report having the "idea" to move your limbs.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

lol at falling into this argument so that Kevin spacey’s defence team can use it

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

mdemone posted:

quantum effects do not influence macro-scale processes in your brain, not even in the microtubules.

your brain might as well be fully deterministic BUT the main thing here is that "you" do stuff that you think you just thought of, but it turns out your conscious awareness was just getting the memo late.

gesture is neurologically prior to speech. gross motor action potentials show up before "you" report having the "idea" to move your limbs.

it's just an excuse to claim the models elites want to use to control society are perfect when they're actually riddled with nonsense and shouldn't be trusted for anything more important than presenting people with cake meme videos on instagram

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

if the human brain is a deterministic system, you can use all these totally cool and real deterministic models to predict behavior and make the "right" choices! it's the "eugenics is real and good" for the era of big data

slopping together some half baked SVMs is the new phrenonogy and all they have to say is that the elites get to keep sitting pretty to get bigly funding and recogniton

Marzzle has issued a correction as of 20:04 on Apr 27, 2021

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Marzzle posted:

if the human brain is a deterministic system, you can use all these totally cool and real deterministic models to predict behavior and make the "right" choices! it's the "eugenics is real and good" for the era of big data

slopping together some half baked SVMs is the new phrenonogy and all they have to say is that the elites get to keep sitting pretty to get bigly funding and recogniton

true. on the other hand, if the human brain is a deterministic system, you can use all these totally cool and real deterministic models to control behavior. :nsa:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Starting to understand why God destroyed the tower of babel

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

:hmmyes:

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
free will not existing in a chalk board full of equations way is essentially the same thing as it existing for the purposes of actually running a functioning society

maybe these math nerds should scale up into the immortal science and talk about the cumulative effects of inherited trauma/exploitation by bourgeois oppressors and how it predicts behaviors

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

smarxist posted:

free will not existing in a chalk board full of equations way is essentially the same thing as it existing for the purposes of actually running a functioning society

maybe these math nerds should scale up into the immortal science and talk about the cumulative effects of inherited trauma/exploitation by bourgeois oppressors and how it predicts behaviors

unfortunately all the math nerds that scaled up into the immortal science didn't get funded by the air force and are now making financial algorithms for jp morgan.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Zodium posted:

unfortunately all the math nerds that scaled up into the immortal science didn't get funded by the air force and are now making financial algorithms for jp morgan.

thats freedom, baby

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

ppl confuse measuring electrical pulses with measuring thoughts because that's the tool we have but that doesn't mean that's what it is

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

ppl confuse measuring electrical pulses with measuring thoughts because that's the tool we have but that doesn't mean that's what it is

Yeah I'm too lazy to dig it up now (and don't really have the expertise to evaluate, but tbh I suspect that goes for most people itt) but there was a paper a while back arguing that the "brain decides before you're aware" conclusion is a misreading of the data- as your mind makes a decision it gradually (on a very small timescale ) gathers info until it comes to a conclusion, and the original results were interpreting "your brain is thinking about moving your arm" as having already been decided

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
no free will? oh yeah? I'll just do the opposite of whatever your formula says I'm gonna do, math bitch

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Stevie Lee posted:

no free will? oh yeah? I'll just do the opposite of whatever your formula says I'm gonna do, math bitch

hell ya brother

nut
Jul 30, 2019

this is the epstein thread, we don't talk about numbers and the only shape we care about is the pentagon, bitch

PuErhTeabag
Sep 2, 2018

nut posted:

this is the epstein thread, we don't talk about numbers and the only shape we care about is the pentagon, bitch

pentagrams too

Danger posted:

No, different guy.

Also it was CA, not New Mexico:
https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna7805321

Whats not in that is he was under tremendous pressure to change his findings in an investigation of police corruption.

i figured as much, but just wanted to make sure

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

cant help you if you think science has any idea what consciousness is

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Stevie Lee posted:

Spoilers for that recent Alex Garland Devs tv show:

the spoiler is that this is just the finale of Devs lol

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Danger posted:

Covered in this incredible twin peaks-esque local news series by ace reporter Nathan Baca

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3cOKFAZN8DuhuMXnEqph0wdIXRR4rPwG

He starts looking into small time local corruption and by the end good old Nathan Baca is gazing into the hateful face of Moloch and the Syndikate

gh0stpinballa has issued a correction as of 22:09 on Apr 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut
Jul 30, 2019

gh0stpinballa posted:

Covered in this incredible twin peaks-esque local news series by ace reporter Nathan Baca

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3cOKFAZN8DuhuMXnEqph0wdIXRR4rPwG

if you don't watch this for the info, at least watch it for perhaps the best cinematic project ever created