Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

SpaceGoku posted:

dunkey is actually of puerto rican descent

wikipedia says his name is "Jason Yevgeniy Gastrow"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Im re-listening to Masters of Doom while I clean the house and I just got to Quake. Say what you will about Jon Romero and Ion Storm, but holy crap does John Carmack turn into a small business tyrant. He starts working out in the hall and “grading” all the employees by the time they start development on Quake.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah JC is basically the libertarian chud who thinks that being really smart at one thing makes them really smart at everything, also they're really into rockets for some reason (see also Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, etc.)

Cup Runneth Over posted:

If we're acknowledging that Dunkey was wrong about Death Stranding, can we finally talk about Metal Gear Survive, or is that still a conversation everyone's not ready to have?
How much do you think Metal Gear Survive would have ended up like Death Stranding had Kojima not been fired?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Stupid Boxes
Feb 9, 2004

good grief!
I’ve been playing through the re-engine resident evil games and I think my favorite one is 7. it’s so batshit insane and playing it on madhouse difficulty really puts you on your toes. I’m excited for 8

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

The United States posted:

Yeah JC is basically the libertarian chud who thinks that being really smart at one thing makes them really smart at everything, also they're really into rockets for some reason (see also Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, etc.)

It’s sad because the book’s detailing of the first part of his life he seems real chill. The charting the book does really makes it seem like money broke him, or that the only way he knew how to bond with people was through work specifically. He was so lovely to Romero that if I was Romero I would never talk to the guy again.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Euphoriaphone posted:

I never played the original cut but I listened to the Chapo VA on YouTube and it was baaddd. Virgil sounded the best cause his disaffected tone fits well in the world. Matt sounds like they cut some of his livestream clips into the game.

Felix is the most disappointing. His character bits in the cold opens can be so perfect, I’m surprised he sucks so much at scripted VA

guillotine this poster

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

TheMightyBoops posted:

It’s sad because the book’s detailing of the first part of his life he seems real chill. The charting the book does really makes it seem like money broke him, or that the only way he knew how to bond with people was through work specifically. He was so lovely to Romero that if I was Romero I would never talk to the guy again.

i'm pretty sure they've hardly spoken for 25 years straight, so...

i don't think money broke carmack; power broke him. the ability to impose the stiff order that he is inherently in tune with, onto other people who don't like it. him becoming "the boss" for quake, instead of just "the engine guy" like he was for wolf and doom, was really not great because he's a guy that can crunch endlessly without breaking, who in fact is in crunch mode by default unless there's someone around to pull him out of his office once in a while, and who didn't understand at that time that other people are basically physically incapable of the same.

he seems to have gotten much more chill after id was acquired and he basically was just put into an office and told to think and experiment on poo poo by himself. it's what he's built for anyway. i'm not sure what being an executive at oculus has done to him but hopefully nothing too bad.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Yossarian-22 posted:

guillotine this poster

felix goes from voicing a felix character (a vocal scab) to voicing the character that every felix character imagines themselves as being (a ruthless special forces operator)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah Carmack has always struck me as one of the guys you legitimately just want to throw some poo poo at and give him enough money to do whatever and see what he comes up with

I heard he was working on AI stuff for oculus and like, go for it bud

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i still haven't gotten around to playing final cut yet but i liked felix as the scab leader. it was a strangely fitting performance as a guy badly acting a role

i bet the chapos, being genuine method actors, got drunk for the lines where their characters were drunk

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Yeah Carmack has always struck me as one of the guys you legitimately just want to throw some poo poo at and give him enough money to do whatever and see what he comes up with

I heard he was working on AI stuff for oculus and like, go for it bud

not excited to learn that zuckerberg is harnessing carmack's powers for evil

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
lol that facebook hasnt shut down oculus yet

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Jazerus posted:

i'm pretty sure they've hardly spoken for 25 years straight, so...

i don't think money broke carmack; power broke him. the ability to impose the stiff order that he is inherently in tune with, onto other people who don't like it. him becoming "the boss" for quake, instead of just "the engine guy" like he was for wolf and doom, was really not great because he's a guy that can crunch endlessly without breaking, who in fact is in crunch mode by default unless there's someone around to pull him out of his office once in a while, and who didn't understand at that time that other people are basically physically incapable of the same.

he seems to have gotten much more chill after id was acquired and he basically was just put into an office and told to think and experiment on poo poo by himself. it's what he's built for anyway. i'm not sure what being an executive at oculus has done to him but hopefully nothing too bad.

yeah he just couldn't handle iD when it became more than like six people. theres so many games industry legends who made their reputations working on what would be considered extremely small indie games today that just don't have the skills for larger projects at all

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Bideo James posted:

well they certainly want to make facebook the platform for VR chat rooms and conversations on the off chance that VR ever becomes mainstream so they'll keep it around i think. the original acquisition was definitely a shotgun wedding arranged by thiel largely to bring luckey into his inner circle though

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Bideo James posted:

the quest 2s or w/e is like the most popular vr because its $299 but also requires a mark fuckerberg account to use it and sign in your vr account to facebook and you will get banned if you use a fake account that isnt your real name and profile and all games have to be tied to facebook and if you do a no-no facebook unapproved thing you get banned and lose it all. also your vr publishes your every activity publically to facebook or w/e unless you go down into the burried opt-out settings.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Carmack tweets about AI stuff all the time on Twitter these days and it's clear he's become the aging tech guy trying to chase the latest tech trend

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

VR is a biometrics goldmine if you want to learn a shitload about, like, two kinds of people

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

well they certainly want to make facebook the platform for VR chat rooms and conversations on the off chance that VR ever becomes mainstream so they'll keep it around i think. the original acquisition was definitely a shotgun wedding arranged by thiel largely to bring luckey into his inner circle though

are all of the thiel folks greasing their veins with luckey palmer's adrenochrome now???

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

palmer is busy skynetting the border

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The United States posted:

Yeah they are cut from the same cloth especially for how they treat people in their organization plus the awe inspiring level of arrogance.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

etalian posted:

Yeah they are cut from the same cloth especially for how they treat people in their organization plus the awe inspiring level of arrogance.

the difference is that carmack was legitimately the most talented person in the world at real-time graphics rendering design for 10-20 years and is still probably in the top 10 today. i honestly don't see how non-prerendered graphics could have advanced as fast as they did without him; he has some kind of next-level math visualization ability, like einstein did.

musk and bezos might have talents but they're mental midgets in comparison. his politics derive from being a nerd from kansas who went straight from designing dinky text RPGs in his free time after school to programming mega-hit games that made him rich as hell before he was 25, and it does suck that he's consistently unable to rise above that.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Death Stranding. I have remained relatively unspoiled and I picked this up in the sale, it's a pretty mind blowing cinematic experience so far that's about 80% cut scene and 20% gameplay (10% balance simulator). I'm usually pretty happy watching numbers go up or playing ASCII art dwarf fortress so it's cool to see such a nicely rendered world.

I can't seem to find a way to modify the controller layout to make "Sprint" something other than L3 (press down that analog stick) on PC. I assume this just how console ports go and I have to fix it with a mod and risk a steam ban? If that's how it is I guess I'll just adjust but it feels rather cumbersome pressing down that big old donut on a stick button. I see posts about accessibility options but that appears to be console only. Is this a job for steam controller settings?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

palindrome posted:

fix it with a mod and risk a steam ban

lmao what

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
yeah that's not how vac bans works at all

you won't get banned for modding 99.99% of your games. only games like CSGO or multiplayer-vac games with using injection hook poo poo, and even then it's not an account ban

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
also you can just make a controller profile in steam, you don't have to mod anything at all

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

also while the opening part has a ton of cutscenes they thankfully get spaced out more pretty quickly

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Well poo poo, I was brought up on CS VAC bans and dark souls soft bans, if non-valve games are safe then everyone laugh at the dude that's afraid of big bad banhammer.

e: I guess my aberrant thought process was -> Counterstrike VAC bans and blizzard DRM agents could destroy your account -> DSfix on dark souls 1 would get you soft banned even though its a benign graphics improvement mod> Sony PC ports are not to be trusted.
I realize now that's pretty far from "steam.exe is monitoring and reporting all memory injections" so hey, I learned something ^:unsmith:^

palindrome has issued a correction as of 08:28 on Apr 28, 2021

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Xaris posted:

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360059641133-Onboard-Memory-Manager

it lets you save onboard memory information to the mouse (like dpi) instead of using g-hub but not sure if it does those extra button hotswap features though. i think it does. i have my left side-buttons on mouse4/mouse5, and then my two right side buttons set to p= having set it to onboard memory and it seems to work without g-hub running all the time

Yeah that seems to do everything I wanted. Thanks.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Anyone play those resident evil rip off games, outbreak? They’re on sale on the psn and I got enough credit left to buy one.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
am started horizon zero dawn and I feel bad killin the little non violent robots

gently caress these gasoline bags tho they won’t drop the bit I need to trade for the heavy stealth armor

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

finally beat Zelda

I tried to do it with zero outside info, making my own map and such, but the one thing that stumped me was in a dungeon where you're supposed to bring a hunk of meat from outside to feed some pissy dialog guy to get him to move out of the way

luckily that was my only stumbling block and I made it through the rest of the game without references

the Ganon fight was bullshit, I beat him my first try but nearly ragequit because I spent a lot of time trying to find some pattern to predict where he'd be so I could kill him and couldn't; so I after my last health bottle was drunk and my hearts were dwindling I just started moving around randomly, stabbing as I went and that worked out after all

46 deaths and luckily the game doesn't have a timer to taunt me with how many hours I wasted on it

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
That's impressive! I still have a ton of innate Zelda 1 knowledge from my childhood, like I could probably motor through the first 4-5 dungeons without even breaking a sweat, but the second leg of the game is pretty loving hard, especially iron knuckles and poo poo. It was a revolutionary game in its scope and depth, the amount of secrets and tools was unheard of in an NES game really. Never really did gently caress around much with the second quest tho.

I feel like "drawing the zelda map" is something a lot of kids of a certain type do, my best friend and I did it on posterboard with markers for fun, like as something to stick on the wall.

I just discovered Golftopia. If any of you remember playing and enjoying the hell out of Sid Meier's "SimGolf" back in the day you're gonna wanna check this out, because it's STELLAR

smarxist has issued a correction as of 12:01 on Apr 28, 2021

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Did they ever fix the combat in Total war where it was literally impossible to kill a small army because the combat screen would place the army 20 in-game minutes away and you wouldn't be able to catch them so they could just constantly run away and pillage your countryside and there was nothing you could do about it? Also auto-calculating the battle would just half they size of the army which would still keep it in-tact and allow it to run around pillaging? Cause holy poo poo that was annoying and turned me off to the whole series.

Plus generally small un-interesting battles I'm not interested in fighting as they take way too long. The pacing between large interesting battles is pretty long which wanes my interest when most battles are just busy work.

I don't really have any idea what you mean by the top half. In atilla and warhammer the AI armies play keep away on the campaign map unless theyr guaranteed to win and it's super annoying if that's what you mean.

China total war fixes that though and the AI actually likes to fight even battles again

Man China total war owns I should go play that some more. Gotta pursue lu bu

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Just finished Everhood.

Game good.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Playing the new Hitman trilogy and man it's a lot of fun. I just fed some drug dealers to hippos

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Communist Thoughts posted:

I don't really have any idea what you mean by the top half. In atilla and warhammer the AI armies play keep away on the campaign map unless theyr guaranteed to win and it's super annoying if that's what you mean.

China total war fixes that though and the AI actually likes to fight even battles again

Man China total war owns I should go play that some more. Gotta pursue lu bu

Dude I told you about that, I told u

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SirSamVimes posted:

Just finished Everhood.

Game good.

i just downloaded to check that out, it looks really loving cool

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

smarxist posted:

i just downloaded to check that out, it looks really loving cool

you are in for a trip friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The hard left into Buddhist Allegory left me stunned and without words.