Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Fhqwhgads posted:

Knowing nothing about Yoko Taro and Drakengard/Nier, I absolutely loved Automata. I should buy Replicant (and probably replay Automata after that), shouldn't I? I have a high end PC, should I get it on there over PS5 or are there major issues with the PC port like there was for Automata? Or does it not matter?

I've watched some comparison videos and the PS5 "version", which is actually just the base PS4 version, looks like dog doo doo. Textures are nearly N64 quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Arkage posted:

I've watched some comparison videos and the PS5 "version", which is actually just the base PS4 version, looks like dog doo doo. Textures are nearly N64 quality.

You need to get your eyes checked.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Maybe that guy had the greatest N64 of all time and has been holding out on us.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
https://youtu.be/mpe7jgwkzM0

Arkage fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 28, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wish N64 games had looked like that

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Probably been mentioned but are the FF14 raids at all relevant or interesting to the actual Nier story/world, or is it just a fanservicey thing?

Short answer is it’s a side story.

Long answer is that the raids are (big ol spoilers) 30% a story about two dwarf orphans struggling for acceptance, 30% a mindfuck isekai from the perspective of 2B and 9S, 30% a story about something from the Drakenier world invading parallel dimensions, and 10% grinding clothes and costumes from Automata. They go hard on nostalgia and thematic references to all of Drakengard and Nier, and if you’re a Nier fan like I am, you probably lost your poo poo at least six separate times. And they’re really cool, but they haven’t proven themselves to be canon yet.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 28, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat do I risk getting addicted to an MMO when I already consume far too much media just for more NieR content

I assume you have to get to a high level before you can do it anyways at least

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Escobarbarian posted:

drat do I risk getting addicted to an MMO when I already consume far too much media just for more NieR content

Unless you buy a level skip and give no shits about the (incredibly substantial) story of the game you're looking at a 200 hour bare minimum commitment to get to the NieR raids.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Escobarbarian posted:

FFXIV is pretty good, but I’d consider it a significant time investment, yeah. The good news is that it’s more like a single-player game with some MMO stuff bolted on, so there’s no incentive to poopsock it 24/7 like, at all. I found it far more enjoyable than World of Warcraft, and the main story ranges from pretty okay (A Realm Reborn) to one of the best in all of Final Fantasy (Shadowbringers :tviv:).

And did you know there’s a free trial that goes up to level 60 including the entirety of the critically-acclaimed expansion pack Heavensward?

(I wouldn’t play XIV just for the Nier raids. You can just youtube those.)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
haha yeah I wouldn’t actually play it just for the NieR stuff. I’ve considered getting into it every so often but it WOULD destroy my life tbh

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It’s manageable if you’re a shut-in like me. COVID helped.

Is there a summary out there of everything from Drakengard 1 to Automata? It’s been a long time, and I’ve forgotten a lot of details. No, I’m not gonna play any of the Drakengard games, gently caress that.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just got to the second half of nier:r and (probably not really much of a spoiler but just to be safe) Zach Aguilar and Ray Chase do a good job of sounding like the same person at two different ages.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Hunt11 posted:

Maybe Popola gets some blame for either coming up or telling the whole thing about needing to go defeat grimoire Noir as I feel the whole process would have gone better if it was framed as getting enough power to properly reunite the two and fixing everything. On that note Noir definitely should be blamed for acting like such a bastard.

To be fair, Popola was probably screaming internally all that time because this idiot jerk just waltzed into the room with one of the key components of their world-saving project, and the idiot had damaged said component so much that it forgot its core programming. She did her best while under duress to come up with a cover story that Nier would understand in hopes of putting the project back on track. I don't think they expected Nier to be so singleminded in saving Yonah that he never once stops to ask pertinent questions even when its staring at him right in the face.

And it's not fair blaming Noir for his voice. That's like saying a person with permanent resting bitch face is actually evil. :v: If you go back to read his lines and mute the game, Noir's actually saying some heroic things about saving the world.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

amigolupus posted:

To be fair, Popola was probably screaming internally all that time because this idiot jerk just waltzed into the room with one of the key components of their world-saving project, and the idiot had damaged said component so much that it forgot its core programming. She did her best while under duress to come up with a cover story that Nier would understand in hopes of putting the project back on track. I don't think they expected Nier to be so singleminded in saving Yonah that he never once stops to ask pertinent questions even when its staring at him right in the face.

And it's not fair blaming Noir for his voice. That's like saying a person with permanent resting bitch face is actually evil. :v: If you go back to read his lines and mute the game, Noir's actually saying some heroic things about saving the world.

They probably could have set up a more 'ideal' first meeting between Weiss and Noir, but Shadowlord Nier finally losing his patience and heading out in person scrapped any peaceful outcome for that.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

BisbyWorl posted:

They probably could have set up a more 'ideal' first meeting between Weiss and Noir, but Shadowlord Nier finally losing his patience and heading out in person scrapped any peaceful outcome for that.

Yeah, well, like original, like clone.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

Did you collect the one in the back room of the post office that respawns for each playthrough, saves you farming 4 of them altogether :v:

They aren’t even the worst material.

Oh god. Which ones are worse?

I already have 4 Eagle Eggs because the RNG gods decided to bless me there and I picked them up each time I went there naturally for other quests/sidequests.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

amigolupus posted:

I mean tone is an important part of conversation.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Zerilan posted:

Just got to the second half of nier:r and (probably not really much of a spoiler but just to be safe) Zach Aguilar and Ray Chase do a good job of sounding like the same person at two different ages.

I'm doubly impressed because they were told not to model their performances off each other.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I can’t really tell :( I need to hear them side by side to get a good impression of that.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Zerilan posted:

Not only that but I'm impressed with how believably Ray Chase fits as a transitional step into Jamieson Price's daddy Nier

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Is there a summary out there of everything from Drakengard 1 to Automata? It’s been a long time, and I’ve forgotten a lot of details. No, I’m not gonna play any of the Drakengard games, gently caress that.

Clemps on YouTube has a playlist going through the timeline of each game. I wish there were longer, more in depth analysis of the Drakkengard stuff out there.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

Same only cowards skip it or watch an LP

:hai:

huh, the Xbone version looks a lot sharper. is that because of some weird upscaling magic that the PS5's backwards compatibility doesn't use or what?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Augus posted:

:hai:

huh, the Xbone version looks a lot sharper. is that because of some weird upscaling magic that the PS5's backwards compatibility doesn't use or what?

The PS5 underclocks itself to match a PS4 Pro when playing PS4 games, and provides no additional boost to them beyond what the Pro does other than loading times, if you've got it on the internal drive. The Series X does not work that way, and will boost stuff up on the hardware side as best it can.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Its just running in BC mode and the One X is more powerful than the PS4 Professional so it gets all the benefits

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Just want to make sure I'm not getting crap performance on this. I went with PC and on ultrawide 3440 × 1440 and highest settings all around, I'm getting between 60-80fps. I did install SpecialK to hide the mouse and set the framerate cap to 144 since that's my monitor's native res. Is that to be expected or should I be getting better off of a GTX 2080 and I need a few more tweaks?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

amigolupus posted:

lol, no.

"Finally."
"It's been a long time, Grimoire Weiss."
"Hehehe... I am Grimoire Noir. ...I am you."
"Do you not remember, Grimoire Weiss? We two serve a higher purpose."
"Why do you try to suppress the memory? Do you fear hurting someone close to you?"
"You are preposterous! We are mere books, created to serve the Shadowlord! You have no right to forsake Him!"
"Do you remember our ultimate goal?"
"White and Black shall fuse to one and set free Shades to the world!"
"Your chance encounter with this man... Your collection of the Sealed Verses... It was all set in motion by the Shadowlord himself!"
"The time has come for us to create a new and perfect world."
"We shall become as one, you and I..."

At no point did anyone involved even attempt to be anything other than as outright evil and vague as possible. Manufactured, deeply stupid conflict.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Fhqwhgads posted:

Just want to make sure I'm not getting crap performance on this. I went with PC and on ultrawide 3440 × 1440 and highest settings all around, I'm getting between 60-80fps. I did install SpecialK to hide the mouse and set the framerate cap to 144 since that's my monitor's native res. Is that to be expected or should I be getting better off of a GTX 2080 and I need a few more tweaks?

Apparently the way the g ame is coded they might not be fully utilizing the gpu. I don't think I've seen reports of anyone getting to 144hz, plus going over 60 breaks a bunch of stuff including slow-walking which is needed to complete the main game.

I'd just cap at 60.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fhqwhgads posted:

You probably just want to cap at 60fps because of the aforementioned issues with going above it.

There's a good chance you could do higher, since my video card is similar to yours and (after SpecialK tweaks) get a steady 60fps in 4k, but there might not be a point unless you're occasionally dropping below 60. The tweaks in question (which you didn't mention, so I assume you haven't tried) are Sleepless Render and Waitable Swap Chain (maybe just one of those - I activated them both and saw a dramatic improvement). They brought me from an unsteady 40-60 to a steady 60 (capped at 60 so probably significantly higher if I uncapped).

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQE9VmB4tBs

Alex Moukala gushing over Replicant music for 20 mins... good poo poo

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Probably been mentioned but are the FF14 raids at all relevant or interesting to the actual Nier story/world, or is it just a fanservicey thing?

It's mostly fanservice, unfortunately. The most charitable interpretation of the XIV raid is that Yoko Taro used his existing Nier material as an starting point to tell a nearly unrelated, more low-key, personal story about a (in-world) town and the people who live in it and how they react to disaster (poorly). In practice the general consensus is the actual Nier material is almost entirely disconnected from the framing storyline, to it's ultimate detriment.

As far as the Nier setting as a whole goes the biggest contribution to the lore was that the Nier Automata machine network and the Watchers from Drakengard are now linked, with either one controlling the other (it's a bit unclear who's in charge) or the two just working equally in tandem.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah it’s still a Final Fantasy XIV raid in the end. It tells a Final Fantasy XIV story with some Nier as a framing device.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Meiteron posted:

As far as the Nier setting as a whole goes the biggest contribution to the lore was that the Nier Automata machine network and the Watchers from Drakengard are now linked, with either one controlling the other (it's a bit unclear who's in charge) or the two just working equally in tandem.

Wasn't this already implied in Automata? I'm sure there's a part where the machines are using something that looks a hell of a lot like the Empire's emblem.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah it’s still a Final Fantasy XIV raid in the end. It tells a Final Fantasy XIV story with some Nier as a framing device.

The FFT raid just straight up told the boring rear end story of FFT in a new location with the same name.

My issue wasn't that the NieR stuff was fanservicey and disconnected, it was that the village plot itself was pretty dull. It didn't do anything for me until the very end, and I was tempted to skip through it to get back to the robits.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dabir posted:

Wasn't this already implied in Automata? I'm sure there's a part where the machines are using something that looks a hell of a lot like the Empire's emblem.

Not sure if this is what you're referring to, but Eve's tattoo is also the Cult of the Watchers thing.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Not sure if this is what you're referring to, but Eve's tattoo is also the Cult of the Watchers thing.

That's exactly what I was thinking of.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Sakurazuka posted:

Same only cowards skip it or watch an LP
I'm now seriously considering playing Drakengard myself. I hear there's apparently a patch to remove the Extremely PS2-era english dub voices, which might make it more bearable

Pollyanna posted:

https://canmom.github.io/nier/ <- This is a pretty decent writeup summarizing Drakengard & NieR, but they never got around to doing Automata. That said, the link between NieR and NieR: Automata is pretty well summarized just by Automata itself (poo poo was hosed, Aliens came, poo poo got more hosed), so it should be fine

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think the main thing that I’m unsure about with Replicant/Automata links is why the world is so much more built-up in Automata even though it’s set 8000 years after the first game and the same area isn’t built-up at all then

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Escobarbarian posted:

I think the main thing that I’m unsure about with Replicant/Automata links is why the world is so much more built-up in Automata even though it’s set 8000 years after the first game and the same area isn’t built-up at all then

My headcannon is that the androids keep rebuilding the cities, but the only way they actually know them is by the ruins so they just keep making them look that way.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

what I like about this game is riding so fast on the boar that it doesnt look like its animating properly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The boars are one of my favourite meta things in this game. A mount that’s either basically the same speed as your sprint or completely out of control and crashing into everything. It owns