Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Murgos posted:

He's gonna give a rousing speech on the steps of the Capitol Bar & Grill instead.

The Trump Hotel Putsch

Maybe he's in custody already lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

I love it when economists working at the Fed pretend to not understand business for news quotes.

Like we used to get a few stories a year about how the Fed was "puzzled" about how wages weren't growing like they should with low unemployment.

Now we're "puzzled" about how they aren't growing with high unemployment.

It's almost as if business are exerting downward pressure on wages and labor has been hamstrung in it's ability to fight it.

I think Powell is being kind of sarcastic and implying that if they want to fill positions they need to increase wages.

https://twitter.com/thetomzone/status/1387485030797172736

*muffled sounds of gorilla violence*

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1387477505150525451

I can't remember who that is but a lot of reporters are QTing this with the eyes emoji

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

zoux posted:

I think Powell is being kind of sarcastic and implying that if they want to fill positions they need to increase wages.

Maybe but a bunch of news is going to play it straight and talk about this as if it's a mystery.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/thetomzone/status/1387485030797172736

*muffled sounds of gorilla violence*

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1387477505150525451

I can't remember who that is but a lot of reporters are QTing this with the eyes emoji

Google says she's a lawyer connected to Rudy through the Ukraine stuff and election. Lol if Rudy is finally getting slapped for Ukraine

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

Google says she's a lawyer connected to Rudy through the Ukraine stuff and election. Lol if Rudy is finally getting slapped for Ukraine

This whole probe is about lobbying in Ukraine, but I don't know if that's the end unto itself or they want leverage to get Rudy to roll. Though I don't know how much he can reveal because of atty-client privilege, so they may just want his head on a spike which, you know, fine.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Fraud Guarantee™

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

zoux posted:

Definitely my read as well, given how he's been all year in public statements and congressional testimony. They've been bitching about this since literally before CARES and so far as I know it's the first time McConnell has actually pissed off most of his caucus, letting Mnuchin negotiate with Pelosi without him.

I don't recall having heard :qq: from lovely senate Dems about businesses not being able to afford to hire workers but that's a definite rhetorical red flag if it pops up from them.

Eta:

Jaxyon posted:

Maybe but a bunch of news is going to play it straight and talk about this as if it's a mystery.
Good? I'd rather the news stories be "Small business owners say they can't afford to hire workers, Fed says it sees no indication of labor shortage" than simply "Small business owners say they can't afford to hire workers".

All bankers are bastards etc, but a fed chair who slaps down inflation hawks, announces he won't stymie the recovery by tightening, reiterates that it's riskier to undershoot than overshoot, and pushes back on crocodile tears meant to increase downward pressure on wages is a nice change and better than my low expectations

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 28, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Giuliani had almost a year to get rid of all evidence, with tons of advance warning. Nothing is going to come of this.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

zoux posted:

Toensing and her husband DiGenova are also Trump lawyers and general right wing a-holes and were part of Trumps dispute the election team and are tied up in the Ukraine stuff by representing Firtash.

So, pretty juicy that DOJ went after them and Rudy at the same time.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

zoux posted:

Though I don't know how much he can reveal because of atty-client privilege.

Criminal acts don't benefit from privilege.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

Giuliani had almost a year to get rid of all evidence, with tons of advance warning. Nothing is going to come of this.

Normally I'd agree but if there's one man we can count on to gently caress up beyond all conception it's America's Mayor

https://twitter.com/thenation/status/1387489306189705219

GOP brand not looking great, and they don't seem to be doing anything that would reverse this trend

https://twitter.com/brahmresnik/status/1387469273732243456

lmao, Republicans are such unbelievable clowns, how do they run the whole loving country

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 28, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fame Douglas posted:

On the other hand: he's a loving idiot. So Im pretty sure he still has a mycrimes.txt file on the desktop

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Fame Douglas posted:

If they can show that there's stuff they have obtained themselves that somehow Rudy now has no record of himself it will look bad for him.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

Normally I'd agree but if there's one man we can count on to gently caress up beyond all conception it's America's Mayor

GOP brand not looking great, and they don't seem to be doing anything that would reverse this trend

The GOP haven't had a majority of the country behind them for a long time: But that's irrelevant, thanks to gerrymandering, how both chambers of congress (the Senate especially) and presidential elections work.

Thom12255 posted:

If they can show that there's stuff they have obtained themselves that somehow Rudy now has no record of himself it will look bad for him.

Nothing is going to happen to him.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Fame Douglas posted:

With any other human being I agree, but this is Rudy

mobby_6kl posted:

On the other hand: he's a loving idiot. So Im pretty sure he still has a mycrimes.txt file on the desktop

It's probably this

zoux posted:

Holy poo poo: 25% is loving dire :stare:. In another country they would be doomed to minority party status already

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

zoux posted:

lmao, Republicans are such unbelievable clowns, how do they run the whole loving country

Consistent with their recent frenzy to disenfranchise as many people as possible and enshrine permanent minority rule like they're working against a ticking clock.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
fairweather regressives might not openly say they're regressive, but they know their ballot is secret and to pull the lever for R.

dont really care about report #8576547...65798437 on how regressives get shy about it again.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

Holy poo poo: 25% is loving dire :stare:. In another country they would be doomed to minority party status already

Yeah those are British Labour Party numbers

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think Phazon is right: people are ashamed enough to not admit to a pollster that they are Republican or conservative, but will still vote for the R every time.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Guiliani is a stupid as gently caress mafioso larper with a long history of doing everything in the stupidest possible way, he absolutely just had evidence sitting out because after like 170 years of doing exactly what he has been doing for the last 5 it has never once stood in the way of his fame and net worth.

His presumption is that the law does not apply to him or is incapable of delivering more than a wrist slap. His defense networks stretch through the NYPD and every NY intel agency office and the entire right wing media sphere so hes probably right too. When you think like that you dont spend too much time worrying about details, this is a guy who is famous for replying to anybody who gets his number and texts him

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Doctor Butts posted:

I think Phazon is right: people are ashamed enough to not admit to a pollster that they are Republican or conservative, but will still vote for the R every time.

Its this. They may not publicly admit it but they'll pull that lever every time in the privacy of the voting booth.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

Apparently this isn’t quite the thing they’re making it out to be.

https://twitter.com/gelliottmorris/status/1387493215654318083?s=21

https://twitter.com/gelliottmorris/status/1387495342153867269?s=21

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Doctor Butts posted:

While probably right, I'm not surprised that after a few months of almost no words from Dear Leader, the stupidity-powered lemming train has lost steam. Being the first President in decades to lose re-election is not a small thing, and then the shame of the Capitol riot gets heaped on that too. They would support Trump again if he came back, but that's years from now. All they have to do for the GOP to suffer massive losses is stop caring and disengage.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Wouldn't the natural die off of older Fox News conservatives in the next 2-4 years also vastly favor the democrats?

It's not like a lot of young people or even people under 40 love the GOP.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wait, so is the issue he's raising that the polling is wrong or that they statement "lowest since 2012" is wrong

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

It's a little bit more complicated than that, because it's not just who they would vote to if you put a gun to their head but whether they vote.

People who won't identify as Republican are not enthusiastic to vote Republican. There appears to be a distinct group of voters that polls don't pick up that come out for Trump, but thus far this doesn't appear to carry through for terrible GOP polling when Trump isn't on the ballot.

If the GOP loses those people when Trump's not on the ballot, and they've depressed turnout with their independent-lean-republican crowd they could be looking at some serious problems. Especially since no one seems to be willing or able to hit the brakes on the bullshit.

2022 is not going to be a *normal* midterm election. Not saying necessarily the GOP won't pick up seats like you'd expect, but I think all bets are off and you have to look at it independently.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Giuliani: [chanting] crimes, crimes-
Other officials: crimes, CRIMES
FBI [making notes on clipboard] CRIMES, CRIMES, CRIMES!

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

zoux posted:

Wait, so is the issue he's raising that the polling is wrong or that they statement "lowest since 2012" is wrong

Looks like The Nation article is wrong. If you look at the Gallup Poll that it references, it's talking about the gap between self-identified Democratic and Republican voters is the largest (in favor of the Democrats) since 2012. It's not talking about solely the percentage of self-identified Republican voters.

quote:

In Gallup polling throughout the first quarter of 2021, an average of 49% of U.S. adults identified with the Democratic Party or said they are independents who lean toward the Democratic Party. That compares with 40% who identified as Republicans or Republican leaners. The nine-percentage-point Democratic advantage is the largest Gallup has measured since the fourth quarter of 2012. In recent years, Democratic advantages have typically been between four and six percentage points.

That Gallup article even has a graph showing that the percentage of self-identified Republicans showing it was lower at least twice since 2012 :psyduck: I'm going to go ahead and assume the author of that The Nation article didn't even read that Gallup article....

E: Whoops, I misinterpreted your post, zoux. Maybe I should heed my own advice about reading.... I'll leave this up for additional information.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 28, 2021

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Jarmak posted:

It's a little bit more complicated than that, because it's not just who they would vote to if you put a gun to their head but whether they vote.

People who won't identify as Republican are not enthusiastic to vote Republican. There appears to be a distinct group of voters that polls don't pick up that come out for Trump, but thus far this doesn't appear to carry through for terrible GOP polling when Trump isn't on the ballot.

If the GOP loses those people when Trump's not on the ballot, and they've depressed turnout with their independent-lean-republican crowd they could be looking at some serious problems. Especially since no one seems to be willing or able to hit the brakes on the bullshit.

2022 is not going to be a *normal* midterm election. Not saying necessarily the GOP won't pick up seats like you'd expect, but I think all bets are off and you have to look at it independently.

Agreed with this. Trump uniquely activates a segment of Americans who buy specifically into his rhetoric and message of self aggrandizing garbage and pain and suffering for others you don't like. The 1/6 Insurrection and throwing those people under the bus has severely crippled the GOP beyond I think anybody realizes yet. The "Ner do Well" spite non-voter demo was their best chance at trying to go even the playing field with dems, now those assholes will probably go back to grumbling about everything ad infinitum until they die alone and angry.

I also think the younger alt-righters are reachable, since most of their issues stem from the fact that they have come up with extremely wrong answers for why the economy for them sucks. Many of them are economic populists, not GOP brand fiscal conservatives, and good policy could help them move left on other things as well. The older ones are complete ideologue dipshits who scream about Dr. Seuss like it's white genocide though.

Those are just my thoughts

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 28, 2021

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Yeah these statements forecasting the political death of the GOP are bullshit and in line with similar media punditry we hear about every time Democrats have power. In between what we find is GOP statehouses turn into a mill of regressive policies designed to depress the Democrat vote while the federal government fails to achieve anything useful.

The only difference this time is that Biden's administration is working mostly in lockstop with the legislative arm to try and change the material conditions of American citizens for the better. It's a considerable improvement over the last 30 years and a step in the right (left) direction. The question is, will the voters reward that with stronger senate and house majorities at the midterms or will we get dumpster because cultural issues in the GOP continue to be far more important than material conditions.

The one thing that gives me hope is that GOP voters seem to be more motivated by cultural issues and so with the Democrats largely ignoring cultural issues in favor of material conditions, the GOP voters are bored with fiscal conservativism since the outrage machine desensitized them to matters of public spending etc.

If America was a more moderate, less polarized society today we might actually have had an Obama 2.0 in Biden.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 28, 2021

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

zoux posted:

It's two separate twitter threads. He's saying the second thing, but he also says the people leaving the GOP after 1/6 were likely to be Trump supporters who thought Republicans abandoned Trump.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

TulliusCicero posted:

Wouldn't the natural die off of older Fox News conservatives in the next 2-4 years also vastly favor the democrats?

It's not like a lot of young people or even people under 40 love the GOP.

You'd think, but you'd also have thought that every year since, like, 2000 and generally you'd have been wrong. Same for how they completely lose minority voters, how they've recently lost women voters, etc. At some point you'd think it HAS to hit the breaking point, and maybe this is finally that time, but if they are able to keep screwing with voting propensity for their unfavorable demographics they will keep doing what they've been doing. They also got the presidency without the popular vote twice, so using nation-wide polling is kind of a red herring anyway - it matters a lot more which House and Senate seats are competitive, and as far as I can tell 2022 has the potential to be a "decent" Senate year, but not an "amazing" senate year - there's too many D seats up that need to stay put, and anything short of a 3-seat gain is basically no change as far as the filibuster is concerned, so there's a much larger universe of "basically nothing" or "net negative" possibilities since losing 1 Senate seat or a handful of House seats makes passing things basically impossible, while gaining House seats doesn't really help beyond setting up incumbent advantage for the future.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

It’s the latter. Basically this:

Kalit posted:

That Gallup article even has a graph showing that the percentage of self-identified Republicans showing it was lower at least twice since 2012 :psyduck: I'm going to go ahead and assume the author of that The Nation article didn't even read that Gallup article....

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

James Garfield posted:

It's two separate twitter threads. He's saying the second thing, but he also says the people leaving the GOP after 1/6 were likely to be Trump supporters who thought Republicans abandoned Trump.

I mean, it doesn't really matter what reason they left for, right? if they don't vote GOP in 2022 it doesn't matter if they left because they are appalled by the insurrection and other anti-democratic values bubbling up in the Republican party or if they left because the Republicans didn't steal the election for Trump, a non-voter is a non-voter. I don't see why Trump supporters would necessarily return to the GOP, I think, (and the constant sucking-up to Trump shows that a lot of Republicans think this too), that there are a significant proportion of people who voted GOP in 2020 were Trump supporters first and foremost and when he's not on the ballot, they aren't turning out. Maybe I'm misunderstanding his argument.

Beantown
Apr 21, 2009
Four Seasons Landscaping weighs in on the latest developments:

https://twitter.com/therealfstl1992/status/1387453573290766349

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Like clockwork, everyone forecasts the death of the GOP when they aren't in power. Despite the fact that Trump probably would have won if not for his awful COVID response, and the GOP still did a lot better than even the most positive polls for them forecast in terms of almost keeping the Senate and narrowing the Dems' House lead.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

FlamingLiberal posted:

Like clockwork, everyone forecasts the death of the GOP when they aren't in power. Despite the fact that Trump probably would have won if not for his awful COVID response, and the GOP still did a lot better than even the most positive polls for them forecast in terms of almost keeping the Senate and narrowing the Dems' House lead.

Polls don't seem to work right when Trump is on the ballot. GOP still not looking amazing in 2022 without him.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

zoux posted:

I mean, it doesn't really matter what reason they left for, right? if they don't vote GOP in 2022 it doesn't matter if they left because they are appalled by the insurrection and other anti-democratic values bubbling up in the Republican party or if they left because the Republicans didn't steal the election for Trump, a non-voter is a non-voter. I don't see why Trump supporters would necessarily return to the GOP, I think, (and the constant sucking-up to Trump shows that a lot of Republicans think this too), that there are a significant proportion of people who voted GOP in 2020 were Trump supporters first and foremost and when he's not on the ballot, they aren't turning out. Maybe I'm misunderstanding his argument.

I think 2018-2020 numbers proved this theory pretty well. It's also possible that the insane disinformation campaign of Qanon/ conspiracy pipeline bullshit fed to traditional non-voters and ESL communities might have had an impact as well.

Again, the GOP propaganda machine did immeasurable harm to many ESL communities with their bullshit Qanon garbage

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

75 million people voted for Trump. Half this country is fubar and irredeemable. I wouldn’t take 25% as anything legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Gatts posted:

75 million people voted for Trump. Half this country is fubar and irredeemable. I wouldn’t take 25% as anything legit.

75 million is less than a quarter of our country. That 25% lines up in a way.