Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Gentle Autist posted:

i have two electron apps open at all times, vscode and slack, and they are solid as a rock while outlook, ppt, excel poo poo the bed regularly

electron: more stable than office apps. can’t wait to make a login manager, terminal, panel, calculator dependent on it!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Dont Touch ME posted:

Glad we have this poo poo and not fast unaligned memory reads what a great architecture, truly the future of computing

what led you to believe arm64 can't do fast unaligned memory access

(architectures where unaligned is guaranteed to hurt are those which require it to be implemented in an exception handler. the arm v8 spec makes hardware support for unaligned accesses optional, so some chips will have fast unaligned reads and others won't)

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

electron: more stable than office apps. can’t wait to make a login manager, terminal, panel, calculator dependent on it!!!

agreed

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Gentle Autist posted:

i’m so mad about this software that works

lmfao "works"

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
do electron apps besides custom compiles or cutting edge versions even support wayland, the best software of all time?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

carry on then posted:

Java was right all along

java has recommended bundling a jvm with your app for years now

you also have the option of using graalvm native image to compile your java to a single self contained executable, which obviously drastically reduces its size. hello world is only about 10mb and can compile in under 5 minutes!

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
is there a Linux I can install off the shelf which won’t have tearing issues?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

Musl is fine except for its memory allocator. If you replace the memory allocator with tcmalloc or mimalloc etc then the performance difference versus glibc is erased.

DNS handling is also broken

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

the musl devs got so tired of everyone telling them about flagrant bugs that they put up documentation in order to explain, once and for all, why all the other implementations are wrong, actually

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

never thought i would see the day where someone in yospos defended electron

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

what is your preferred app framework precious

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

qt

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
qt is good yeah.

I do fine with javafx too but I readily admit that uses more disk space than electron. worth it to have non-garbage-tier tooling and ecosystem though

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

please don't flirt in yospos

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Soricidus posted:

qt is good yeah.

I do fine with javafx too but I readily admit that uses more disk space than electron. worth it to have non-garbage-tier tooling and ecosystem though

i did a new project in javafx last year, and honestly i think it is rotting faster than it is improving these days. jira full of ancient bugs (e.g. i had to jump through hoops to not have a simple grid not collapse some columns randomly) and the few new things getting added are glitchy as hell.

with the conclusion being that qt is bordering on the only game in town these days. otoh i think the electron situation will improve over time, the layout/rendering is in all ways excellent (as it should be), so just a matter of improving the distribution situation and structuring it a bit for not having to engage too deeply with the trashheap of the javascript ecosystem.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Progressive JPEG posted:

the musl devs got so tired of everyone telling them about flagrant bugs that they put up documentation in order to explain, once and for all, why all the other implementations are wrong, actually

sometimes dlclose can just do nothing, and that's fine

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Our infosec people had us ban and purge the Zoom desktop app from all the corp machines because the electron version had dozens of unpatched chrome vulnerabilities.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gentle Autist posted:

while ranting:

i have two electron apps open at all times, vscode and slack, and they are solid as a rock while outlook, ppt, excel poo poo the bed regularly

outlook for osx is electron

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I guess what I'm saying is electron is bad not because of my precious ram but because you're bringing along a whole Chrome and node worth of attack surface who's patching strategy is hoping your fart app developer cares enough to actually issue updates in a timely fashion.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Gentle Autist posted:

while ranting:

Sure would be nice if you could save the gigabytes of overhead by making them share a VM, almost like a web browser

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pretty sure the only reason why apple has a 8 gig mbp in 2021 is because the m1 does 16 gigs max, and the bean counters could not countenance not having tiers of overcharging for ram, so artificial bad tier invented.

mystes
May 31, 2006

mrmcd posted:

I guess what I'm saying is electron is bad not because of my precious ram but because you're bringing along a whole Chrome and node worth of attack surface who's patching strategy is hoping your fart app developer cares enough to actually issue updates in a timely fashion.
Just wait until you hear about this novel app platform called "every interpreted language" which allows arbitrary code execution without any sandboxing at all.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I stopped using electron apps because intellij eats up all my RAM on its own and it's way more valuable to me than having a dedicated window for a chat client and Spotify.

Firefox tabs with those still eat up RAM but it seems more constrained at least. I do really miss having a compiled music client but Spotify tries hard to keep itself a walled garden and I ain't got time to manage my own music collection anymore.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I’m glad musl exists because it means I can compile things that run on Debian 9 and other older platforms without begging an admin

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Shaggar posted:

outlook for osx is electron

not at my work

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

you gotta use one of those tab suspender extensions on ff imo. they stop some weird tab you opened 9 days ago from loving up your poo poo with a memory leak

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
lol if you’re not paying money every month for the ultimate electron app, mighty, to stream your tabs from the internet instead of your ram

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I restart my web browser about once per day and it keeps the memory leaks manageable.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Best thing I ever did for my web browser was enable swap-on-zram. It used to be targeted all the time by oom-killer to the point where I couldn't have it open at the same time as an ide or vm. Now that never happens

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rufus Ping posted:

Best thing I ever did for my web browser was enable swap-on-zram. It used to be targeted all the time by oom-killer to the point where I couldn't have it open at the same time as an ide or vm. Now that never happens

whoa

if this is stable, it sounds like the best idea ever, almost as good as 2fa ssh

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

mystes posted:

Just wait until you hear about this novel app platform called "every interpreted language" which allows arbitrary code execution without any sandboxing at all.

Is Electron sandboxed?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Dont Touch ME posted:

In the future, many of the world's running machines will be physical implementations of the JSVM + ASIC hardware for the DOM. Web development will be bare metal. Your browser will be an OS.

Impressively, on a complete technicality, this switch makes LISP machines a non-meme.

Hardware support for Java has been tried a couple of times now, sup Jazelle. Its sucked every time. JS won't be different.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 12:02 on May 3, 2021

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

sb hermit posted:

I restart my web browser about once per day and it keeps the memory leaks manageable.

Not directly related to the convo at hand but does anyone else actually just turn their PC off when they're done for the day? I started doing it for work to force myself to stay more organized.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

shoeberto posted:

Not directly related to the convo at hand but does anyone else actually just turn their PC off when they're done for the day? I started doing it for work to force myself to stay more organized.

i do this too

you ever see someone with 100 tabs open? those people don't know how to use bookmarks and refuse to learn

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Share Bear posted:

i do this too

you ever see someone with 100 tabs open? those people don't know how to use bookmarks and refuse to learn

i have a bunch of tabs open right now, and i use bookmarks too

all this ram isn't going to use itself

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Share Bear posted:

i do this too

A nontrivial amount of my company's sales, customer service, invoicing, paychecks, and project management rely on my boss's Chrome not crashing under the weight of a billion tabs and extensions (on windows, natch)

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Broken Machine posted:

i have a bunch of tabs open right now, and i use bookmarks too

all this ram isn't going to use itself

post a screenshot, i wasn't using hyperbole, actual 100+ tabs where the ui point for the tab becomes smaller than the favicon in chrome (firefox and safari have a horizontal scroll when this happens)

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

who needs bookmarks when you can just type like the first two letters of whatever site you're trying to reach and the chome suggests it

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Share Bear posted:

post a screenshot, i wasn't using hyperbole, actual 100+ tabs where the ui point for the tab becomes smaller than the favicon in chrome (firefox and safari have a horizontal scroll when this happens)

it's not that bad, i can still make out the names

on chrome if you have over 100 on mobile it makes them smileys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

the firefox bar scrolls, making it the better choice for the tab-count-discerning individual