Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i love the wacky soundboard completely overproduced vibe <record scratch>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Wanna be a mid-2000s basic cable editor for all these filler shows. Imagine just being able to get a paycheck for that kind of poo poo.

Tim and Eric ruined it for everyone, those smug sons of a bitches :argh:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1388539663103705093?s=21

:prepop:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/KevinLevin/status/1388889672991059970

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

cspam is already convincing people they need a third dose

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

carry on then posted:

lmao are you loving kiddin me

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

carry on then posted:

Pfizer said there will probably need to be a third dose later this year. i guess it might end up being like the flu shot if there’s going to be more variants?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

C-SPAM has by far the most brain damaged posters on this forum of lonely computer dorks, gun nuts, and weebs

I don't know why anyone subjects themself to it willingly. It's the analogy I like to make to Tori about rolling in poo poo every morning

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Pfizer said there will probably need to be a third dose later this year. i guess it might end up being like the flu shot if there’s going to be more variants?

that’s not too surprising and different from scheduling yourself a third dose of the current vax

imo it’s pretty unlikely that once the vast majority of earth is vaxxed - which admittedly will take a while - that this will need to be a yearly vaccine

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I'm going to get all 5 vaccines and become invincible.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mediaphage posted:

that’s not too surprising and different from scheduling yourself a third dose of the current vax

imo it’s pretty unlikely that once the vast majority of earth is vaxxed - which admittedly will take a while - that this will need to be a yearly vaccine

I mean the flu still needs a vaccine every year :shrug:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I'm going to get all 5 vaccines and become invincible.

just mix them all into one big syringe and get them all at once imo

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

I mean the flu still needs a vaccine every year :shrug:

Influenza and SARS-CoV-2 are very different viruses. You're not making a strong argument.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

That being said, it's not unthinkable that at some point some at-risk people, or communities where flare-ups occur, will need a booster shot.

But already scheduling a third dose of the vaccine is ridiculous doomer nonsense. But that's what C-SPAM is for I guess.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

spankmeister posted:

Influenza and SARS-CoV-2 are very different viruses. You're not making a strong argument.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/21/sci...nity-wanes.html

quote:

Dr. Ozlem Tureci, co-founder and CMO of BioNTech, which developed a Covid vaccine with Pfizer, said she also expects people will need to get vaccinated against the coronavirus annually, like for the seasonal flu. That's because, she said, scientists expect vaccine-induced immunity against the virus will decrease over time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's easy to get an extra dose

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sagebrush posted:

It's easy to get an extra dose

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

we have no idea though. she’s making an educated guess, as she’s clearly an expert, but it’s still a guess.

regardless flus mutate much more quickly for various reasons than sars2 does, which is why those sorts of yearly shots are necessary.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

carry on then posted:

one of the mods is a vaccine conspiracy theorist lol

iirc it's the same one that spams hundreds of twitter links in that thread all day every day

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

one of the mods is a vaccine conspiracy theorist lol

iirc it's the same one that spams hundreds of twitter links in that thread all day every day
lol what’s their preferred conspiracy

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

carry on then posted:

Covid is the new thing to replace the trump thread in terms of people having nervous breakdowns every day

Covid will likely need boosters though which isn't really alarming or concerning at all. H1N1 became a regular season flu, so will Covid.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

It is interesting for people to have such strong bubbles with no perspective on their place in history.

Like not to say that things aren't bad or that they can't get worse, but not everything is apocalyptic*

* climate change being a potential exception LOL

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

mediaphage posted:

lol what’s their preferred conspiracy

that the tuberculosis vaccine is protective against covid

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that the tuberculosis vaccine is protective against covid

"Lmao look at these maga dumbasses eating fish drugs to prevent covid"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Fabricated posted:

Covid will likely need boosters though which isn't really alarming or concerning at all. H1N1 became a regular season flu, so will Covid.

The Russian flu of 1889, which killed 0.1% of the world's population, may have been a crossover event for another coronavirus. That virus now causes mild colds and we've probably all had it at some point.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
if nothing else the past year and change has been a real master class in how many people don’t understand statistics, public health, epidemiology, viruses, scientific experimentation, etc.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

kitten emergency posted:

if nothing else the past year and change has been a real master class in how many people don’t understand statistics, public health, epidemiology, viruses, scientific experimentation, etc.

Or reading usernames!

... you guys accepted a carry on then post at face value?

H.P. Hovercraft is meanwhile just shitposting probably riffing on the existing nonsense.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

endlessmonotony posted:

Or reading usernames!

... you guys accepted a carry on then post at face value?

H.P. Hovercraft is meanwhile just shitposting probably riffing on the existing nonsense.

i'm curious what your reading of the discussion on third doses, which takes place over the last few pages of the cspam covid thread, is?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

carry on then posted:

i'm curious what your reading of the discussion on third doses, which takes place over the last few pages of the cspam covid thread, is?

Ugh I actually read all the shitposting instead of just scrolling past based on username. I got trolled huh.

To anyone else: carry on then is still trolling. Surprised? I'm not.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

endlessmonotony posted:

Ugh I actually read all the shitposting instead of just scrolling past based on username. I got trolled huh.

To anyone else: carry on then is still trolling. Surprised? I'm not.

I’m genuinely not trolling. There was a huge blow up between someone saying you retail and state vaccine databases were separate and to “do with that what you will” and poster Nuclear War.

it’s incredibly telling that you keep being extremely vague and trying to pin me on my posting history when I haven’t been trolling for a long time.

e: here is the post https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926175&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=5553#post514432956

everyone can judge for themselves

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Yeah, and one poster in the thread went "sure, do it", known incredibly boring troll mycomancy.

The amount of "lol you idiot" was ten times larger.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
It's like calling YOSPOS the Torizone.

I mean there's a LOT of brokebrained poo poo about respirators and just staying inside forever but let's face it, those posters are just looking for reasons to continue to stay inside forever.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

carry on then posted:

i'm curious what your reading of the discussion on third doses

follow the cdc's recommendations. the cdc does not currently recommend third doses. end of discussion. you can stop worrying.

do you think you're smarter than the cdc? that you can get better information than them by reading internet forum posts and googling JAMA preprints? do you think there's a big conspiracy and the cdc isn't telling the public the truth? okay, that's fine, you are living in your own non-reality and this is also the end of the discussion.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The CDC recommended against masks for many months after knowing the virus is airborne. They also endorsed the 3 feet social distancing for school and their messaging has led people to think children don't get sick. I don't think I know better than medical professionals but they clearly have some politics influencing their decisions.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

follow the cdc's recommendations. the cdc does not currently recommend third doses. end of discussion. you can stop worrying.

do you think you're smarter than the cdc? that you can get better information than them by reading internet forum posts and googling JAMA preprints? do you think there's a big conspiracy and the cdc isn't telling the public the truth? okay, that's fine, you are living in your own non-reality and this is also the end of the discussion.

argumentum ad verecundiam

appeal to authority = logical fallacy. you lose by default

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

I mean. It's fair to understand and point out that the cdc lost a lot of credibility under "bleach the virus" trump.

They have were incredibly slow to recommend masks and have still been not as clear as they should be on whether schools are dangerous to reopen with unvaccinated kids (they are). They have also never recovered from the initial decision to devolve all decision-making and control down to the local level - which is what's created the confusing and patchwork response nationally.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

some vaccines need a booster like tetanus but idk getting one before you know if it matters while there's still a global need for them the first time around for many people seems greedy

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

wtf is even the debate though? even if third doses marginally helped it'd be the loving height of folly to keep injecting people in the us (especially fat useless forums posters) while most of the world is very much in line to get a single shot. both in that it'd be monstrously immoral and in that very good protection for a handful of people is clearly worse for *everyone* than decent protection for lots of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

The_Franz posted:

argumentum ad verecundiam

appeal to authority = logical fallacy. you lose by default
argumentum ad baculum= when scott bakula punches you in the stomach and takes your lunch money, nerd