Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Ravenfood posted:

So I haven't played since before the 1.2 patch, and don't have auto-updates on. I just opened GoG and after downloading the 33 gb patch that I assume was 1.2, I'm now downloading another 48gb patch? Any idea what this one is?

GOG's update system is strange and takes up comical amounts of drive space in-progress for reasons I don't understand. When it completes it just ends up being 1 or 2 gigs, but while it's downloading you can see 30-50 gigs of drive space being taken up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

The capitalist brain poison is always, "can we make more money this year than we did last year" rather than, "can we survive making a quality product we love?" That's it, that's what breaks everything.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Mendrian posted:

The capitalist brain poison is always, "can we make more money this year than we did last year" rather than, "can we survive making a quality product we love?" That's it, that's what breaks everything.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mendrian posted:

The proletariat brain poison is always, "can my family have more food today than we did yesterday" rather than, "can we survive without eating a family pet we love?" That's it, that's what breaks everything.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Devor posted:

The proletariat brain poison is always, "can my family have more food today than we did yesterday" rather than, "can we survive without eating a family pet we love?" That's it, that's what breaks everything.

Easy, you feed them one day and you turn on heat the next day. Papers please.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Devor posted:

Im not sure what you're trying to say here.

I truly hope you don't think infinitely escalating profit goals are directly comparable to a desire to eat.

Edit: also where are angry shareholders demanding higher and higher roi in this joke analogy.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 1, 2021

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If you eat meat then why not eat a family pet. A pig is closer to a human mentally than a cat or a dog is

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Tenzarin posted:

Easy, you feed them one day and you turn on heat the next day. Papers please.

Glory to Arztotzka.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mendrian posted:

Edit: also where are angry shareholders demanding higher and higher roi in this joke analogy.

My kids keep growing bigger and demanding more food

itry
Aug 23, 2019

But while you tell your toddlers to not double fist the snack bowl while they're still chewing on the last handful, people who are already extremely secure financialy are encouraged to double fist the cookie jar, as it were.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

my large adult son is now the size of a house but he needs to grow more. He needs his dinner, or else he'll starve.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

itry posted:

But while you tell your toddlers to not double fist the snack bowl while they're still chewing on the last handful, people who are already extremely secure financialy are encouraged to double fist the cookie jar, as it were.

My analogy for ravenous men in top hats and monocles also involves double fists.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Bholder posted:

my large adult son is now the size of a house but he needs to grow more. He needs his dinner, or else he'll starve.

Your son is getting too big. You need to section him into a 1 bedroom and rent the rest to his aunt.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Since I was poking around the files and started up the game, I found that my 1070ti was chugging especially in the more heavily crowded areas - nothing new, I just paid more attention to it.

Due to the speculative bubblecurrencies and semiconductor shortages... covid supply chains break down and all that other nightmare hellscape, not really looking to laying down thousands on a card that may not even be in stock. I got the thing running off a solid state drive.

Bearing in mind that I am an idiot, what are some of the more expensive graphics settings performance-wise one should start to tinker with first? I can conceptually understand what some of this does but I have no idea how to prioritize.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Screen space reflections and ambient occlusion are fairly big ones with relatively minor impact if lowered or turned off. Screen space reflections especially you'll want to be either cranked up to Psycho or turned off because it looks pretty bad anywhere in between. There's another one that I can't remember the name of, something about colour balance? I never noticed whether it was on or off, so may as well turn it off. Volumetric fog eats up a fair amount of frames, but it's another one that's distracting on anything other than max(you'll notice every light in the game seems to have a little square blob of fog around it) and it can't be turned off

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Splorange posted:

Since I was poking around the files and started up the game, I found that my 1070ti was chugging especially in the more heavily crowded areas - nothing new, I just paid more attention to it.

Due to the speculative bubblecurrencies and semiconductor shortages... covid supply chains break down and all that other nightmare hellscape, not really looking to laying down thousands on a card that may not even be in stock. I got the thing running off a solid state drive.

Bearing in mind that I am an idiot, what are some of the more expensive graphics settings performance-wise one should start to tinker with first? I can conceptually understand what some of this does but I have no idea how to prioritize.

I started my playthrough on a 1060 6gb, and played at 1080p I'm pretty sure using this video as a guide and I had a fairly good experience playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC25ambD8vs

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Much obliged, both of you.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

This chart allowed me to play on a 1060 3gb with ambient occlusion to medium and reflections at minimum but at least turned on.

Lots of settings have an impact you wouldn't expect, both ways.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
That's a really interesting chart, thanks. I ended up just setting the res scaling to 90% at 1080p on my 1060 6Gb, but I might see if I can tweak things a bit more and get it to render at 100%

Zephro fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 2, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Okay, things starting to get interesting. Its too bad the game is still so buggy though, and the amount of items on the ground I just cant pickup is pretty annoying

It was like all of a sudden I went from being afraid to take on multiple people to going Commando and being fearless. The whole Heist thing was pretty interesting and intense, and while I found Jack kinda boring as a character it hit home losing him like that. I was kinda thinking of double crossing Dex as I felt insulted by his 35% offer, I guess there would be no way to have that opportunity though? What if I'd said I didn't have the chip? I guess in the end it would have been some variation of the same result. Had no idea where Keanu was going to factor in, this is not what I expected at all. Hope this mechanic isn't something thats going to become too annoying though.

Cash seems to be slow coming in, maybe it'll come faster now at this stage. And whats the point of giving myself a big dick in the creation process if I take a shower with underwear on?

Also, I turned off the SSR per the graph above and while I'm running a 2080 so for most people it would be totally fine what I get with everything maxed @1440, the little stutters were bothering me and I felt like I instantly saw a climb in smoothness once I disabled it.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007
If you're talking about the items that spawn on the ground then you probably don't want to pick it up, anyway. It's all vendor trash that sells for like 3 eddies.

As for the money situation, unless you are trying to buy every car in the game I feel like you should wind up with more than enough. I ended the game with about 750,000 eddies after buying one motorcycle and all the components to upgrade 6 or 7 iconic items to legendary, and I haven't done all the side gigs and I think they have since reduced the cost of crafting components in stores.

I don't think there's really that much to spend money on other than cars and crafting components. You'll never find anything in a store that's better than something you can find in the world. I guess you might want to buy clothing if you don't care that much about armor values (you don't need to) and you are going for a specific look.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Roshnak posted:

If you're talking about the items that spawn on the ground then you probably don't want to pick it up, anyway. It's all vendor trash that sells for like 3 eddies.

As for the money situation, unless you are trying to buy every car in the game I feel like you should wind up with more than enough. I ended the game with about 750,000 eddies after buying one motorcycle and all the components to upgrade 6 or 7 iconic items to legendary, and I haven't done all the side gigs and I think they have since reduced the cost of crafting components in stores.

I don't think there's really that much to spend money on other than cars and crafting components. You'll never find anything in a store that's better than something you can find in the world. I guess you might want to buy clothing if you don't care that much about armor values (you don't need to) and you are going for a specific look.

High-end cyberware can also get really expensive, and is worth buying.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007
Oh, yeah. I forgot about cyberware. Everyone should get double jump legs.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

A good cyber deck, and there’s some guns that are worth buying. Money will feel tight for a while, but once you get going you’ll be able to bank some cash, but still have to use your money wisely.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Roshnak posted:

Oh, yeah. I forgot about cyberware. Everyone should get double jump legs.

The double jump legs are clutch and they're my second buy after a good deck. But gently caress if you're not saving forever to get them. Good gear in this game is pretty expensive.

I do wish that the other two legs were better somehow. The high jump is functionally inferior to the double jump because you jump about as high but with less control. And the one that slows down falls is really fun but extremely situational.

For my next run I think I'm going to do full stealth/close combat with the sandivestan but I'm not sure. Is stealth viable without a cyberdeck?

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 3, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah since I made that post the money is pouring in but I took a big hit repaying my debt to the doc. Cant drive past an active shootout without getting involved, with oftentimes tragic results. How do I know when I scan guys how tough they are? Is it just the red skull?

I've no interest in spending money on vehicles, they dont feel particularly satisfying to drive, they all look ridiculous and theres fast travel. I just wanna become a literal mechwarrior or something asap

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Stealth is pretty awkward early on and relies a lot upon good weapons and a handful of mods until you have the street cred and money to one-shot enemies. I’m trying to do a monowire build with cool and it’s kind of a slog still at level 15 because you’re not really powerful once combat starts and you need to keep killing to maintain cold blood. And combined with how frustratingly slow Athletics is to level the perk points don’t come in fast enough to rush through levels easier. I do plan on using a Sandevistan for post-level 20 play at 40+ street cred because I’m going for a high movement speed body and stealth build to pretend I’m Gray Fox because I never stopped being a stupid edgy 14 year old.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

codo27 posted:

Yeah since I made that post the money is pouring in but I took a big hit repaying my debt to the doc. Cant drive past an active shootout without getting involved, with oftentimes tragic results. How do I know when I scan guys how tough they are? Is it just the red skull?

I've no interest in spending money on vehicles, they dont feel particularly satisfying to drive, they all look ridiculous and theres fast travel. I just wanna become a literal mechwarrior or something asap

Yes the red skull means they are too far above your level. If it works the same way it did in The Witcher 3, and I think it does, then enemies basically get a massive amount of damage resistance against you if they are too far above your level.

It's not a very good mechanic.

Roshnak fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 3, 2021

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

codo27 posted:

The best vehicle is the knock off Akira bike. Really all the motorcycles handle way better than the cars and it's truly baffling.

As for over powered enemies, I spent most of my early game knocking off Tyger Claws whenever I saw them. Valentinos are way too strong until late in the game so stick around the top half of the map and you'll be slaughtering gangers with ease.

When you're over powered yourself, then you go gently caress with the Valentinos. Turns out their heads go pop as well as anyone else when hit by an OP sniper rifle :getin:

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

joylessdivision posted:

When you're over powered yourself, then you go gently caress with the Valentinos. Turns out their heads go pop as well as anyone else when hit by an OP sniper rifle :getin:

As well you should, because goddamn it gets tiring hearing them yell VALENTEEEEEENOS! all the dang ol time.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I ran into one police encounter with the Val's and I always help the cops for some reason, easy free loot. They basically one or two shot me but the AI is so broken some would just stand still while I shot them 100 times. Then I finally tried the sniper I found that I'd been neglecting cause of low dps but didn't realize that's just cause it's so slow. Did like 5x the damage with that and managed to cheese the last few guys, ended up with all the cops dead too so it was a nice haul.

I like when you're stealthing an area and gently caress up and have to restart, then your auto save has enemies already shooting at you when before you took them all out undetected.

Then this one time I was out in the garbage desert and was checking out this compound and got killed. Reloaded and an enemy car just rolled out of the place with no one in it so at least I had a fast way out. So broken man

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

necrobobsledder posted:

Stealth is pretty awkward early on and relies a lot upon good weapons and a handful of mods until you have the street cred and money to one-shot enemies. I’m trying to do a monowire build with cool and it’s kind of a slog still at level 15 because you’re not really powerful once combat starts and you need to keep killing to maintain cold blood. And combined with how frustratingly slow Athletics is to level the perk points don’t come in fast enough to rush through levels easier. I do plan on using a Sandevistan for post-level 20 play at 40+ street cred because I’m going for a high movement speed body and stealth build to pretend I’m Gray Fox because I never stopped being a stupid edgy 14 year old.

Monowire was rear end garbage on release even with max cool and I switched over to Mantis Blades eventually. I somehow wouldn't be surprised if this never got fixed.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

SweetBro posted:

Monowire was rear end garbage on release even with max cool and I switched over to Mantis Blades eventually. I somehow wouldn't be surprised if this never got fixed.

The mono wire has a charge mechanic that straight up is not working. You'll have better results using it as a spammable melee weapon rather than a stealth one.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Did they add stealth kill animations to anything yet?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
mantis blades are inferior to katanas, monowires make no sense, just punch gonks out the window with gorilla arms all day every day

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

mantis blades are inferior to katanas, monowires make no sense, just punch gonks out the window with gorilla arms all day every day

The arm rockets seem low to medium tier with thermal for human enemies and useless with explosive projectiles. Do they get stronger with your level, or is there any other more effective rocket type?

Otherwise I’m feeling a bit ripped off.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Unless they fixed it the arm mods you get will be scaled to the level at which you acquired them. So if you got your cool rocket arms at level 5 then yeah they're going to be complete trash for the rest of the game.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I swapped out of rocket arms after a while, it took up the grenade slot. It would have been nicer if it shot out grenades in your arsenal. It does look mad cool when your using it at the apex of your double jump when you're in a scrap, but then it explodes and does 1/6 of their health and then it feels weak, which makes you feel weak.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The charged tranquilizer rocket (at least used to) instakill any of the cyberpsychos, so there is that as a niche for it I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

isoprenaline posted:

The arm rockets seem low to medium tier with thermal for human enemies and useless with explosive projectiles. Do they get stronger with your level, or is there any other more effective rocket type?

Otherwise I’m feeling a bit ripped off.

Get the non lethal rocket upgrade - Everyone is a one hit KO (unless they patched it).