Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Is there a precis for this? I'm sure it's interesting, in a horror capitalism kind of way, I just don't want to invest half an hour into it.

The ice cream machine was essentially a black box doing cool things for ice cream (repasteurizing it at the end of the day so you don't burn through supply!) with poor documentation and a bad temperament. Except if you knew about a hidden code that service techs had you would be able to see more stats for diagnosing the problem and immediately pinpoint the slight adjustment it would take to get it back in operation (while spending less than the techs would require). Small company working with this machine for their own use built a diagnosis Pi addon with the original machine company's blessing since they were doing cool startup things that made the company look better.

Flash forward, machines are still temperamental to the point where start up company was spending more time fixing the drat things than running them. But because they spent so much time working with them, their diagnosing addon is so much better than the service techs McDonalds employed. Being smart cookies, they decided to contract themselves out to franchise owners for much less money. McDonalds got wind of it, *hated* it, and lobbied the ice cream machine company to do something about it. Ice cream machine company decided to be real loving dicks about it, tried to purchase an addon on the sly and playing innocent whenever the start up company mentioned it. Inevitably they got their hands on a copy, "reverse-engineered" it and surprise announced their own version. Oh, and McDonald's also mentioning that any attempt for a third-party to open their ice cream machines will render their service contract void so get hosed franchisees.

Start up company loses their entire client base by this monopolistic operation in the background. Now they're attempting to sue.

TL;DR

Platystemon posted:

McD’s franchise agreement mandates particular machine. Manufacturer makes beaucoup bucks on maintenance, has incentive to make it fail frequently and cryptically. They and McD’s go way back and McD’s corporate doesn’t mind the franchisees getting screwed by the arrangement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Is there a precis for this? I'm sure it's interesting, in a horror capitalism kind of way, I just don't want to invest half an hour into it.

The ice cream machine is designed to self-sanitize, and this process can fail for a handful of really benign reasons. When the process fails, troubleshooting options are limited, and the video argues the only real option is to call the service techs.

This is an old problem, but there’s been a media push recently coming from a company that makes a third party diagnostic tool for McDonald’s ice cream machines.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It's really not as exciting as the wired article tried to make it out to be and is pretty standard across any industry where an off the shelf product is customised to a businesses needs.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It's kinda wild that part of the cleaning cycle is that it heats up the fuckin product inside the machine

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
heating milk has been a standard process for decades

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Ice cream mix $50
Employee training $0
Wages $lol
Taylor service technician $5000

Someone good at the economy help me, my franchise is dying

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Thanks all for that.

About the level of petty dickiness I was expecting.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

heating milk has been a standard process for decades

Yeah but not inside the hopper of the dispenser at the point of sale afai knew

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
you see a similar thing with farming equipment and its why farmers support and try to lobby / vote for right to fixit yourself laws.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah tractors used to be repairable with a few basic tools and a grade school education, now they are made of proprietary fasteners and brain boxes that shut everything down if they detect any indication of unauthorized changes. Loosen the wrong part and you have to take it back to the dealer to get the error code reset (that will be $2,000 sir).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A tractor's got a top speed of about 60 km/h and chugs a huge amount of fuel for that, imagine driving one hundreds of miles for service. gently caress, even back when I lived in the sticks, we had a defunct combine harvester sitting in front of the house on the equivalent of cinderblocks simply because moving the things isn't anywhere near worth the hassle when they break down.

(I used to play in it occasionally, pretended I was piloting a starship like the Attack Carrier)

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Mcdonald's also is insane on the amount of control they impose on franchises, and they actively put most of their franchisee's into debt by imposing new requirements that they have to take on loan even if they won't sell worth a drat. Mcdonald's owns the building and land, you pay for the rights to lease it and all the equipment.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

withak posted:

Yeah tractors used to be repairable with a few basic tools and a grade school education, now they are made of proprietary fasteners and brain boxes that shut everything down if they detect any indication of unauthorized changes. Loosen the wrong part and you have to take it back to the dealer to get the error code reset (that will be $2,000 sir).

I had to replace a bad joystick in my skid steer years ago. After doing that I had to bring it to the dealership for them to plug their computer in and "activate" it or whatever. It cost me $400. The paperwork took longer than they spent on the "repair".

They didn't even bother taking it off the trailer.

The old stuff is a pain in the rear end, but at least you can fix it on your own.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Mcdonald's also is insane on the amount of control they impose on franchises, and they actively put most of their franchisee's into debt by imposing new requirements that they have to take on loan even if they won't sell worth a drat. Mcdonald's owns the building and land, you pay for the rights to lease it and all the equipment.

McDonald's is a real estate company that happens to sell hamburgers.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Detective No. 27 posted:

McDonald's is a real estate company that happens to sell franchise licenses.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Motronic posted:

I had to replace a bad joystick in my skid steer years ago. After doing that I had to bring it to the dealership for them to plug their computer in and "activate" it or whatever. It cost me $400. The paperwork took longer than they spent on the "repair".

They didn't even bother taking it off the trailer.

The old stuff is a pain in the rear end, but at least you can fix it on your own.

Not too long ago there was an article about a guy who buys old farm tractors etc and restores them, and the money he saves using those 50 year old things till they die, which they don't, since they're fixable. It was v interesting.

If it wasn't posted here I'll check my Pocket and update the post when I get to work.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

F4rt5 posted:

Not too long ago there was an article about a guy who buys old farm tractors etc and restores them, and the money he saves using those 50 year old things till they die, which they don't, since they're fixable. It was v interesting.

If it wasn't posted here I'll check my Pocket and update the post when I get to work.

Not surprised. Old tractors are quite serviceable once they're back in good condition, especially the bigger ones where you can add on aftermarket autosteer and a third party ag computer/GPS.

The pain in the rear end part is getting them back in good condition because most farmers around here like to keep a junkyard full of not-quite-running stuff sitting outside behind the barn where it slowly rots away until their kids have to sell off the estate and by then it's all garbage except for the last set of equipment they bought.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
As a country boy, I can tell you that the upside of doing that is a never ending supply of paddock bombs for kids to gently caress around in.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 3, 2021

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

The Basecamp saga keeps chugging along

https://twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1389369715638767619?s=19

blunt fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 4, 2021

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

The tweet actually downplays what he said according to the article

quote:

"I strongly disagree we live in a white supremacist culture,” Singer said. “I don't believe in a lot of the framing around implicit bias. I think a lot of this is actually racist.

:yikes:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
there's probably receipts.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

there's probably receipts.

Nope, there aren't by design:

quote:

About a week before rolling out the policy changes, the founders deleted nearly two decades of internal conversations from previous instances of Basecamp and its other collaboration products. Among other things, this made it more difficult for employees I spoke with to accurately describe past interactions with Singer in the forums.

Nothing to see here, don't worry, we're perfectly not racist company

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

There probably were but apparently leadership deleted a bunch of internal chat logs before this meeting.

E: /\ dammit lol

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Does it matter how many people quit? I thought the modern understanding of management was that employees are fungible.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Jose Valasquez posted:

The tweet actually downplays what he said according to the article

:yikes:

You missed the next line where he complains that any time he objects, he gets called a nazi and thinks the problem is people don't like his objecting instead of the complaints being about what he's saying.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

MickeyFinn posted:

Does it matter how many people quit? I thought the modern understanding of management was that employees are fungible.

if you bleed them too fast at a place like that, you lose a lot of valuable tribal knowledge. the employees are not particularly commodified.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

MickeyFinn posted:

Know how we talk about brain drain happening in countries as wars break out?

Same concept. Lots of knowledge lost and you have a bunch of new people coming in, which is tough to refine like you would 1 employee at a time.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
At a 60 person company, you're still small enough that there's pretty good odds that there's things that only one or two people in the company know well. If some of those people leave it's a big deal.

On top of that, they lost their heads of CS, design, marketing and product. Even if those people were dead weight the teams they were in charge of are probably demoralized as gently caress, and I'd be shocked off the was a single person at basecamp not dusting off their resume right now.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Also not to mention I guarantee any job listing now will just attract turbo chuds.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

MickeyFinn posted:

To add on to what other folks said, that is only true once your department of knowledge workers is big enough and your projects are slow enough. E.g. if you are Raytheon or Lockheed Martin, you can throw engineers at the problem and they do not matter individually.

In our smaller company with an engineering department of like 50 people, the loss of a two or three people would set backdevelopment in some areas for months basically. If we lost a third of the department, new product development would have to end basically because we would only be able to support existing products and train new people.

For a knowledge worker company to lose a third of its work force at once, would be totally crippling I imagine

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

enki42 posted:

On top of that, they lost their heads of CS, design, marketing and product. Even if those people were dead weight the teams they were in charge of are probably demoralized as gently caress, and I'd be shocked off the was a single person at basecamp not dusting off their resume right now.

Also they offered people 6 months salary as severance so even if you weren't bothered by the techbros' new changes, you'd be crazy to pass that up.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
I don’t disagree with the replies to my question (thanks!), but I am pretty skeptical that rich people will abandon each other until the effect on their wallets is large and obvious. We have the term failson for a reason.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Oh yeah, by no means do I think that the scale of the resignations is going to change Jason or DHH's mind, they are 100% going to think they were completely justified and it was all the employees who were wrong.

But they're still hosed regardless of how delusional their founders are.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
My informed opinion on the DHH situation: Lol, owned

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
DHH made "take rarely used language that isn't designed to do thing and make it do that thing anyway" cool so that all the people who could barely handle enterprise development could feel special because they could do a weekend project. I blame him for starting that whole fad which is why javascript is in literally everything (gently caress you electron apps) and I hope his github ripoff loving crashes and dies and he goes back to making stupid poo poo. Maybe SOAP services out of COBOL.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1389695520906567684

You'd think at some point they'd stop digging.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

"Dig fast and break things,"
- Elon Musk, CEO: The Boring Company

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/thrasherxy/status/1387849329390542849

EDIT: lol

Kreeblah posted:

It gets better. If there's a kernel panic, it looks like it displays an ad for the faucet itself, complete with a phone number to call.

Doggles fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 5, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Why would anyone bother with that bullshit when the restaurant industry solved this a decade ago with infrared sensors mounted just under the faucet/next to the seat/stall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

Why would anyone bother with that bullshit when the restaurant industry solved this a decade ago with infrared sensors mounted just under the faucet/next to the seat/stall?

You mean the ones that flush the toilet you're sitting on if you lean too far forward, or the ones that refuse to turn the faucet on unless you position your hands just right? Let alone the fuckers that make you run your hands together before they turn on.

That's the real tech nightmare.