Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Roluth posted:

Result of the Facebook board review: ban upheld, but Facebook itself must review the ban within 6 months. What a way to worm out of a final decision.

Honestly, I'll take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Alkydere posted:

Because it's not supposed to be a living wage! It's a kid's job! Why are you darn kids so darn lazy working 3 underpaying jobs to pay off your school loans and taking those jobs from highschool kids who should get off their phones be learning a talent (but not a real talent) for flipping my burgers and not buying houses and supporting the cruise and golf and other expensive luxury industries?

[continues to rant for a minimum of five minutes about poo poo that hasn't been true since the 90's at the latest]

Fast food/minimum wage jobs have literally never been a "kids job". Go look at footage from the 80s, 60s, 50s and the McDonald's kitchens, food counters, etc were all adults. The idea of teens working for a living is pretty modern. Summer jobs or kids jobs were usually things like a paper route or yard work in their neighborhood.

The majority of the workforce for minimum wage jobs was never kids, complete fabrication for obvious ends.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Roluth posted:

Result of the Facebook board review: ban upheld, but Facebook itself must review the ban within 6 months. What a way to worm out of a final decision.

Ah the NYT double endorsement strategy.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Still funny that the board Facebook created to look fair shoved a live grenade back in their hands and ran for the hills.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

a 6 month spirit bomb sounds dangerous

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Thankfully, the decision means we don't have to read about how upset he is with facebook or any other platform. But I'm sure someone will be trying to find a way to catch some eyeballs by screaming about how the poor deposed toddler king feels.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So can they not just ban him and forget about him? Why the announcement and then another one in 6 months?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Electric Phantasm posted:

So can they not just ban him and forget about him? Why the announcement and then another one in 6 months?

Because content

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Because the algorithm has decreed that what is best for business is for the user base to be mad, scared, hateful. Trump provides all three so not utilizing him is the company failing at their fiduciary responsibility to the shareholders.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
From CNBC:

quote:

The Oversight Board found that Trump had “severely violated” Facebook’s community standards with his posts on Jan. 6. But it also said the platform “seeks to avoid its responsibilities” by applying a vague penalty and then referring it to the board to review.

His declarations, “We love you. You’re very special,” referring to the people who rioted around the U.S. Capitol, calling the rioters “great patriots” and telling them to “remember this day forever,” violated Facebook’s rules that prohibit praise of people engaged in violence, the board wrote.

“The Board found that, in maintaining an unfounded narrative of electoral fraud and persistent calls to action, Mr. Trump created an environment where a serious risk of violence was possible,” the board wrote, adding that when Trump posted his statements, “there was a clear, immediate risk of harm and his words of support for those involved in the riots legitimized their violent actions.”

But Facebook’s decision to make the ban indefinite was not justified, the board found, since it “did not follow a clear, published procedure” in doing so.

“In applying a vague, standardless penalty and then referring this case to the Board to resolve, Facebook seeks to avoid its responsibilities,” the board wrote. “The Board declines Facebook’s request and insists that Facebook apply and justify a defined penalty.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/05/facebook-will-keep-trump-ban-in-place.html

Basically, "we don't want to actually have to make a decision, you do it."

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Rea posted:

From CNBC:

Seems fair. Make Zuckerburg yank the mask off and cozy up to fascists instead of passing the buck.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Rea posted:

From CNBC:

It feels like the board's basically saying to Facebook, "You need to have a protocol in place for banning of political leaders and influential figures that isn't 'permaban,' because that eliminates the possibility of that person getting better and earning their way back on the platform someday." Which makes some kind of sense, outside of the context of the user in question being pathologically incapable of admitting wrongdoing or reversing their behavior.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
lol trump not really knowing what's going on and a being a bad leader got labeled as "vague" and is what's saving him. too stupid and cowardly to get poo poo done right? not guilty!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
They might be clueless enough to hope that Trump, the endlessly online boomer that he is, will grow bored and forget about it in the upcoming six months.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They probably know that he'll be too sick to do much of anything or just die outright within a few years.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1389800020409561089

Good.

Also, :lol: at whining about teen birth rate plunging.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of these people have boomer mindset where you don't actually learn anything in school, knowledge is spontaneously generated with age and teachers are just glorified babysitters.

They also voted to reduce our pay, give us teachers increasingly worse conditions, treat us like the hired help, and screech about how we indoctrinate their kids or grandkids.

I'm convinced it's because most of them were poo poo in school and need an excuse, because that generation is fundamentally incapable of admitting they are at fault for loving anything.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I feel like Facebook want to unban him, but are afraid that they will face some severe consequences the next time some right wing nuts do something while the Democrats have full control of Washington. Once the GOP is in a power to protect them, Trump is getting unbanned in a heartbeat.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TulliusCicero posted:

They also voted to reduce our pay, give us teachers increasingly worse conditions, treat us like the hired help, and screech about how we indoctrinate their kids or grandkids.

I'm convinced it's because most of them were poo poo in school and need an excuse, because that generation is fundamentally incapable of admitting they are at fault for loving anything.

Boomers could drop out of high school and enter comfortable careers, get married and own a house in their twenties. And then tell their children college is mandatory for a worthwhile job, and refuse to hire anyone for entry-level positions without five years of experience.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1389917825620402179

This is probably the plummest gig you can get as a federal agent. Long lunches, 3-day weekends, knocking off early as your subjects constantly post confessions of what they did online, sometimes even wearing shirts that said "I did the crimes you are here to arrest me for". An absolute sinecure.

https://twitter.com/charliekirk11/status/1389935264420687872

Huh, didn't know SCOTUS has original jurisdiction over all private oversight board decisions

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 5, 2021

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Thom12255 posted:

WaPo has an article up about the GOP talking about the 3/5ths compromise from yesterday. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/05/04/gop-state-lawmakers-three-fifths-compromise-was-actually-good

TL:DR GOP is trying to make it seem like the constitution was anti-slavery from the beginning thus America is not a country founded on racism and slavery of a race of people. Historians think the opposite.

:lol:

Holy poo poo this on par with saying "Actually the Nazis weren't anti-semetic at all because they originally wanted to move all the Jews to Madagascar and eventually Israel got created!" :smug:

The South never had any intention of stopping slavery on their own, and hell slavery was legal in some northern states when the Constitution was ratified (New York etc.).

Just ahistorical and complete and utter bullshit

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Facebook will absolutely bring him back when he starts to officially run in 2024

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Facebook will absolutely bring him back when he starts to officially run in 2024

He won't need them, he'll have started Trumpbook by then.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm going to lay a marker down here so you guys can quote it to own me 3 years hence: Trump will not be a candidate for president in 2024.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Kalit posted:

He won't need them, he'll have started Trumpbook by then.

It will be a Wordpress blog that automatically leaks your credit card information to the next donor, and you have to pay to look at and make posts, but Trump is the only moderator

Chuds will love it

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

TulliusCicero posted:

It will be a Wordpress blog that automatically leaks your credit card information to the next donor, and you have to pay to look at and make posts, but Trump is the only moderator

Chuds will love it

So he'll be taking over Free Republic?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

zoux posted:

I'm going to lay a marker down here so you guys can quote it to own me 3 years hence: Trump will not be a candidate for president in 2024.
I really think he’s going to try

I’m not saying that he wouldn’t just endorse someone like DeSantis, but his ego isn’t going to allow him to give up after what happened

nerox
May 20, 2001

zoux posted:

Huh, didn't know SCOTUS has original jurisdiction over all private oversight board decisions

I love when Republicans argue that the government should exert control over private businesses.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really think he’s going to try

I’m not saying that he wouldn’t just endorse someone like DeSantis, but his ego isn’t going to allow him to give up after what happened

Ego?

https://twitter.com/meridithmcgraw/status/1389940678101176322

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

zoux posted:

He won't run, but will do the reality show "will he or won't he?", grift as much as he can, hold a rally (if he can get someone else to pay for it) and then when it's clear he's not running, make all the candidates bend the knee and do the whole "to whom will I endorse" like an episode of the bachelor.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Meatball posted:

He won't run, but will do the reality show "will he or won't he?", grift as much as he can, hold a rally (if he can get someone else to pay for it) and then when it's clear he's not running, make all the candidates bend the knee and do the whole "to whom will I endorse" like an episode of the bachelor.

This assumes, of course, that he is alive and healthy enough to do rallies and interviews and such.

My personal bet is that he won't be.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

zoux posted:

By decree of the US Supreme Court, Timmy must hereby allow Johnny into his tree house, except on Opposite Day.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We find the no Homers singular admission standard to be unconstitutional.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This is definitely a man who has learned from his actions! :jerkbag:

He's going to rant about voter fraud on his deathbed

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm honestly surprised he didn't file as a 2024 candidate immediately after the election, like he did last time

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

TulliusCicero posted:

This is definitely a man who has learned from his actions! :jerkbag:

He's going to rant about voter fraud on his deathbed
Grifting is all he knows how to do anymore. He has no reason to stop screaming about how the election was stolen and how obvious the fraud is and how them finding the stolen votes is just around the corner and if you love me please give me money so I can be president again for as long as possible.

I also 100% think he's not running in 2024. There's way more money to be made in threatening to run for president than there is in running for or being president.

MSB3000
Jul 30, 2008
Comedy option: Trump claims presidency and begins issuing executive orders and pardons from Mar-a-Lago despite having no channels to do so other than his blog.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

MSB3000 posted:

Comedy option: Trump claims presidency and begins issuing executive orders and pardons from Mar-a-Lago despite having no channels to do so other than his blog.
He kind of already is? He spends his free time giving incredibly awkward speeches at what appear to be Bar Mitzvahs
https://twitter.com/MysterySolvent/status/1388184669821313026

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

zoux posted:

We find the no Homers singular admission standard to be unconstitutional.

What if we let one homer in, that makes the sign legal right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Froghammer posted:

He kind of already is? He spends his free time giving incredibly awkward speeches at what appear to be Bar Mitzvahs
https://twitter.com/MysterySolvent/status/1388184669821313026

So he's in his own personal Hell?

Good :unsmigghh: