Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/1390021430444806145

Pleasantly surprised by this development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

Telegram and Signal are our next targets. The chuds have fled like cockroaches to the darkness of encrypted platforms, and we must take all steps to ensure there are no safe havens at all for them.

Nextdoor would be a much better target.

https://youtu.be/0wMl-sATDo0

The last two minutes of this is an amazing defense of higher taxes on the wealthy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Telegram and Signal are our next targets. The chuds have fled like cockroaches to the darkness of encrypted platforms, and we must take all steps to ensure there are no safe havens at all for them.

Platforms without a wide audience never last for people like that--gab, parler, voat etc are basically dead or dying because only chuds use them, and an essential part of the user experience for chuds is aggravating or being aggravated by the people they hate. They just don't get that surge of fury in an environment where it's just chuds. They need to be seen or it's pointless. That's why twitter is so important to them.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also id rather have them chased off youtube and facebook and twitter and poo poo before we even touch their weird little dens.

Sure, because those public facing, monetized platforms have a documented history of taking their bullshit and radicalizing people to join their cause. Private communication is a secret club, you have to already know someone inside that world. Besides, again, for the umpteenth time, encrypted messaging has uses by lots of GOOD people like press or freedom fighters worldwide. Encrypted communications as a thing are not the enemy here, that is as wrongheaded as can be. But I guess a take like that showing up in this thread doesn't surprise me on a forum that thinks China can do no wrong.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
"There's nothing we can do about these disturbed individuals terror cells. A few deadly stochastic coordinated terror attacks a year against vulnerable populations are just the price our society has to pay to continue to enjoy a right to bear arms encrypted communication." -this thread, apparently

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

"There's nothing we can do about these disturbed individuals terror cells. A few deadly stochastic coordinated terror attacks a year against vulnerable populations are just the price our society has to pay to continue to enjoy a right to bear arms encrypted communication." -this thread, apparently

You're not worth debating on this subject.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

both probably. the social media poo poo gives him the highs to get off his rear end and do stupid awful poo poo. now all he can do is scream at lickspittles and cowards.

sorta. facebook is kinda the mainstream home of the chuds. as is youtube.

YouTube (and Twitch honestly) in the last year have exploded with Left wing content, and their numbers are insane. Youtube still has chuds, but it's night/ day from 2015, and A LOT of them are getting banned or deplatformed or demonetized there.

Young Chuds are fleeing to other streaming services more and more

Facebook remains the Chud Stronghold. Honestly most people under 30 should probably just boycott Facebook at this point.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 5, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Signal and Telegram are used for communication between people. They're no more platforms than are telephones.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

VH4Ever posted:

Sure, because those public facing, monetized platforms have a documented history of taking their bullshit and radicalizing people to join their cause. Private communication is a secret club, you have to already know someone inside that world. Besides, again, for the umpteenth time, encrypted messaging has uses by lots of GOOD people like press or freedom fighters worldwide. Encrypted communications as a thing are not the enemy here, that is as wrongheaded as can be. But I guess a take like that showing up in this thread doesn't surprise me on a forum that thinks China can do no wrong.

I'd like to note this isn't the first time that USPol/USNews has had an argument about this sort of thing—there was a minor debate last year about whether or not the entirety of Discord should be shut down because of its use by right-wingers, and a major debate in December about whether or not killing Section 230 was worth it, in the face of some GOP senators pinky-promising their support for a higher stimulus payment in exchange for killing 230.

The Internet, and SA is not immune from this, is full of people who mentally short-circuit from "bad people use this thing" or "bad people will let us kill this good thing for something we want" to "we need to do this now or society will unravel."

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Encrypted communications are how vulnerable populations organize to be less vulnerable. There's a real reason that dictators and right-wing governments do everything they can to kill encrypted communication.

You're, in effect, taking the exact same position that the US intelligence agencies and cops did in 2015/2016, when they were putting heavy pressure on Apple to remove their encryption from macOS and iOS. Please think about that for a second.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Actually SA is superior to all of those and we should get to decide which platform lives and which platform dies :colbert:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If the goal is to disrupt communication between people who might be planning crimes, then the institution of a stazi-like agency to monitor all telephone calls and read all mail between people would also be necessary. Also the bugging of offices and lecture halls in universities and schools.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Biden's Administration could be looking to try and repair some amount of the monumental damage Trump and the Forever war have done to the US in terms of foreign affairs. It's a good move to rebuild trust, and we should do more to aid the world with COVID vaccines as our country gets it under control.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Rainbow Knight posted:

Actually SA is superior to all of those and we should get to decide which platform lives and which platform dies :colbert:

We're pretty secure, as nobody but us uses forums any more.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I had just assumed that "attack the encrypted platforms!" thing was a joke, now I assume it's a troll.

Anyway.

On one hand, it's wild and terrifying that single communications platforms like Facebook or Twitter carry so much power that the way they choose to moderate content has massive repercussions for society writ large, but on the other, it's not like we were really better off when all information was filtered through newspapers, then evening network news, then cable television...

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Rainbow Knight posted:

Actually SA is superior to all of those

I'm going to stop you right here.

Also, minor question but has there been anything coming out in the news about Cuomo and/or the acquisition of Trumps tax returns in New York?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
imo all websites should have an account creation fee.

regressives are massive assholes that will get banned more because they are in fact the ones that can't shutup about polticis / outrage subject #938475983479.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

VH4Ever posted:

But I guess a take like that showing up in this thread doesn't surprise me on a forum that thinks China can do no wrong.

Who in this thread has ever defended China? Honest question

We get the occasional Tankie, "just asking questions" genocide denier, (I remember the one poster was defending the torture of Tibetan monks by the state), and those people are almost universally mocked, and banned or probated.

This just seemed like a wierd dig for no reason.

To the point of encrypted communications, some people only hear Telegram from people like Nick Fuentes using it, and they don't realize that it's used by tons of good people and journalists as well. I actually learned about Telegram's actual purpose from Goons on this forum myself, because I was angry one day and went "shut down anything chuds use!" Because I was just angry.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 5, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TulliusCicero posted:

YouTube (and Twitch honestly) in the last year have exploded with Left wing content, and their numbers are insane. Youtube still has chuds, but it's night/ day from 2015, and A LOT of them are getting banned or deplatformed or demonetized there.

Young Chuds are fleeing to other streaming services more and more

Facebook remains the Chud Stronghold. Honestly most people under 30 should probably just boycott Facebook at this point.

true. but everytime i go on youtube with my phone. i am loving flooded with chud ads. twitch overall seems to handle its poo poo pretty well.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

TulliusCicero posted:

We get the occasional Tankie, "just asking questions" genocide denier, (I remember the one poster was defending the torture of Tibetan monks by the state), and those people are almost universally mocked, and banned or probated.

To the point of encrypted communications, some people only hear Telegram from people like Nick Fuentes using it, and they don't realize that it's used by tons of good people and journalists as well. I actually learned about Telegram's actual purpose from Goons on this forum myself, because I was angry one day and went "shut down anything chuds use!" Because I was just angry.

I don't think people in this thread think that China can do no wrong. I think they just don't support the US getting involved with its military or state dept attempting to compete with China for superpower status and want the US to stay out of conflicts involving Taiwan etc because they don't think the potential for bloodshed or nuclear war is worth whatever is gained from it.

As for me, I think that an ascendant China will eventually develop force projection capabilities and try to dislodge the US from the pacific and gain a trading foothold in Europe via Belt & Road while simultaneously using the globalized free market economy to financially control and curate media narratives that might run harmful to China's reputation. Thus we should try to compete with them for political influence and win over allies non-violently and potentially get militarily involved if China oversteps its bounds and starts conquering places like Taiwan. China is a big money market for everything from digital media, movies, video games to aircraft, automobiles and electronics. Everyone wants a share of that wealth and will continue to redirect their efforts to capture a share of that increasingly affluent market. That's really where all their influence comes from. Big business gets the most influence over Western governments and their desire for Chinese market share means they'll lobby for pro-China trade policy... I don't think we'll ever fight a war with China because of this. Chinese people for example think Buick is a desirable luxury brand and a lot of GM's fortunes are invested in selling cars no longer popular in the domestic market to Chinese markets where riding in the back of an extended wheelbase Buick is considered an aspirational goal.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 5, 2021

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If twitch gets shown a clip of racism or someone beating their kid they usually act much faster than YouTube, that will just give a bad warning and then a month later it’s back to normal.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

bobjr posted:

If twitch gets shown a clip of racism or someone beating their kid they usually act much faster than YouTube, that will just give a bad warning and then a month later it’s back to normal.

youtube let daddyof5 go on for a year or so, plus god knows what other horrors, and thats not even counting the crowder types.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

The unspoken part here is that you think the government should have the unfettered ability to spy on everyone. And we know law enforcement never abuses their power or polices certain groups and ideologies more strictly, right?

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Crain posted:

Fast food/minimum wage jobs have literally never been a "kids job". Go look at footage from the 80s, 60s, 50s and the McDonald's kitchens, food counters, etc were all adults. The idea of teens working for a living is pretty modern. Summer jobs or kids jobs were usually things like a paper route or yard work in their neighborhood.

The majority of the workforce for minimum wage jobs was never kids, complete fabrication for obvious ends.

It seems like we're back to that point now, but when I was a kid in the 90's the entire store I worked in were high school kids, and we were managed by a college kid. Every store that my friends worked at were like that too. Only the manager's manager was typically an actual adult. This was however, a very particular slice of time, about 1997 to 2000.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

TulliusCicero posted:

I was digging on the forums generally, that's why I delineated between the two. It was mostly a comment on how many places on these forums you'll find China cheerleading. It explains why such a perspective would also be present and accounted for in this thread. China, by the by, also doesn't really care for encrypted communication platforms.

Bishyaler posted:

The unspoken part here is that you think the government should have the unfettered ability to spy on everyone. And we know law enforcement never abuses their power or polices certain groups and ideologies more strictly, right?

And this is why I'm accusing that poster of also being a China fan. Extremely their speed.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 5, 2021

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/charliekirk11/status/1389935264420687872

Huh, didn't know SCOTUS has original jurisdiction over all private oversight board decisions

This is so vastly stupid that any claim to intelligentsia that may have been afforded Kirk previously should be null.

SCOTUS is going to rule on a private companies board decision exactly how Charlie? Which law is it that they are going to site? Which constitutional provision is being violated?

SCOTUS doesn't take cases that haven't been tried by the lower courts Charlie, is there a court case here we all missed?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Murgos posted:

This is so vastly stupid that any claim to intelligentsia that may have been afforded Kirk previously should be null.

Any such claims were entirely bad faith anyway

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/charliekirk11/status/1389935264420687872

Huh, didn't know SCOTUS has original jurisdiction over all private oversight board decisions

Who is this dipshit and why do I care what he says? Seems like this belongs in the right-wing media thread.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

paternity suitor posted:

It seems like we're back to that point now, but when I was a kid in the 90's the entire store I worked in were high school kids, and we were managed by a college kid. Every store that my friends worked at were like that too. Only the manager's manager was typically an actual adult. This was however, a very particular slice of time, about 1997 to 2000.

I wonder why more young adults are now working those kinds of lovely jobs. Couldn't put my finger on why though. Anyway, let's try cutting taxes on their employers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kalit posted:

Who is this dipshit and why do I care what he says? Seems like this belongs in the right-wing media thread.

You don't know who Charlie Kirk is?

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1390023742194061312

An unalloyed good thing happened and you know what that means: the line must go down.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

zoux posted:

An unalloyed good thing happened and you know what that means: the line must go down.

Oh wow, they went down a whole 7% AT MOST. Truly all is lost. :eek:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

It's unfortunately not support for the full WTO TRIPS waiver on COVID-related patents that the US has been blocking since 2020, but it's still a step in the right direction (and numbers going down is a good sign!)

Crossposting from COVID:

Mind_Taker posted:

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1390027450801864705?s=20

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1390031735606419456?s=20

This seems like the correct take for now. I'll be happy if the waiver being supported is as good or better than the one activists have been pushing for, rather than a watered down version.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 5, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

zoux posted:

Nope. Based on his twitter bio, he just seems like someone along the lines of Shapiro/Hannity, but less popular.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 5, 2021

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

zoux posted:

loving good :colbert:

Though I'm sure the rich will screech about losing their 2nd Yacht

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

TulliusCicero posted:

loving good :colbert:

Though I'm sure the rich will screech about losing their 2nd Yacht

No one is even losing a 6th yacht over this.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Sanguinia posted:

Oh wow, they went down a whole 7% AT MOST. Truly all is lost. :eek:

Losing 7% of your total value in 15 seconds is a very large drop. Especially for a huge company like Pfizer with very stable prices.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's certainly pissing off the right people.

https://twitter.com/levfacher/status/1390048101084418051

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Losing 7% of your total value in 15 seconds is a very large drop. Especially for a huge company like Pfizer with very stable prices.

pfizer only dropped 1.23%

the moderna drop is big in context i imagine since it's a company without much product except this, so there's probably some very large holders (like the execs/founders)

but uh they also probably shot from the merely well-off to the super-rich this year so they're probably not used to the huge amounts of money they have yet!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
France blockades the U.K. was not on my 2021 bingo card.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1390025416623132673

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

France blockades the U.K. was not on my 2021 bingo card.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1390025416623132673

Seven Years War II: the Reckoning seems to be starting off swimmingly

It makes sense that as the French and British fall into the cultural hellpit that is fascism their tensions might flare back up.

This is about fishing licenses? Hahaha what?