Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Furthermore, hockey is weird:

P A R I T Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My rink is opening up locker rooms and showers starting Saturday and told people to stay 3 feet from each other in the showers.

We've been getting dressed either outside or the birthday party rooms. Wasn't really sure how the party rooms were much safer than locker rooms anyway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Predictably my rink is loving it all up. Before the season started they sent out all these emails how showers were closed, you could only show up to the rink 20 minutes before game time, you'd have to confirm you have no symptoms or anything, masks on in the locker rooms, etc. Then I get there and there's no one at the check in station, showers are open, people are getting in 40 minutes early, it's basically just like pre-covid except the place is almost a ghost town due to the way they're spacing ice times and not letting people hang out in the lobby.

It doesn't really affect me personally because my vaccine is fully charged and it's trivial to keep wearing a mask to avoid spreading anything if I do pick it up, but the indifference towards protocols was a bit disappointing.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I love playing against a team with all matching expensive looking gear because it usually means they suck. It's when nobody on the other team has a pair of matching socks that you know you're about to get rocked.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Gonna be playing some outdoor ball hockey this week for the first time in forever since I got my 2nd shot and waited the two weeks. I'm probably gonna be gassed as gently caress. I've been walking every day so my cardio isn't completely shot but I haven't been running or anything so my high intensity cardio is probably not gonna be so great.

I'm still not sure about playing ice even with the shot. I will probably do it again if not in the summer then by the fall but there's a still a part of me that feels a little skeeved out about it since I know there's a ton of idiot chad hockey players who engage in the riskiest behaviors and will constantly expose other people to covid. Plus rinks/locker rooms are like breeding grounds for that poo poo.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

bewbies posted:

is that more or less lame than having a big picture of sellouts on your jersey

Having a big picture of sellouts on my jersey makes it easily the best jersey I have.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

brad...................thank u

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Played some hockey today for the first time since like March of last year. Outdoor ball hockey but was still fun. I felt surprisingly decent but I have been walking like every day so my cardio wasn't completely shot. We had no subs though so I was loving gassed by the third game.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

bewbies posted:

I went out last night to the local "hockey bar" with a couple of teammates, one of whom spent a couple of years playing for the local ECHL concern a while back.

so we are sitting there doing our thing and in comes some guy who was wearing my buddy's jersey from back in the day. my buddy goes up to him and asks, without telling him who he is, if he'd like for him to sign the jersey. instead of being friendly or at least cordial, the dude got all offended and righteous at the idea of someone defacing his aging AA hockey sweater and thus missed the opportunity of a lifetime

Haha this is incredible

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Played a few games in the last few weeks. First game back/first game of the season I torqued my back halfway through the second period and it was that familiar herniated disc pain that Ive known before but on the opposite side from what Ive hurt in the past. I skated off and iced/heated it for the next week as well as continued on with my physical therapy routine. I took the next week off of playing as quick movements triggered a tweak in that spot. gently caress back issues man. The first one healed fine, the second time has stuck with me for 2-3 years now and its not fun.

Fast forward a few weeks and I felt much better. Played the last two games and its been a lot better. I'm starting to get the feel for the game again. My positioning and timing is so off. Last nights game however I had like 4-5 great scoring chances and just couldn't make it happen. I even beat the goalie on a streak coming up the boards when I cut in on my backhand around their defenseman, I lifted the puck under the armpit of the goalie as he was hugging the post but the puck wrapped up in his super floppy jersey and didn't go in.

Either way it was great until the last minute or so I was skating to a puck that was headed next to our net so I'm skating towards the back boards. He eased up and stopped skating meaning I was in front when the guy hooks my foot with his and I go down head first towards the boards and crash. No call since we were leading the game and there was only a minute left. I was pissed. Thankfully nothing hurt.

God does it feel good and awful to get on the ice again. I miss the team.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Trip report. First pickup in like 5 or 6 years this AM. I suck in the mornings, and also hit a detour on the way to the rink, and got dressed too slow. So I missed warmups which I really fuckin needed. My skate wasn't tight enough on one side and I just got a new sharpen, so I fell 3 or 4 times on my first shift, and felt awful. It was supposed to be a beginner/intermediate level but I've never been to this skate, and didn't know how it would be. It def was more of a wide range of skills than I expected. My rust was thick and crusty. Also I had to take off the CCM mask it was impairing my vision too much. I was pretty dead by the end but started to get things coming back. My first good open shot went flying over the top corner. I really needed to get a feel for this new stick. This all would be fine except the summer league draft is Saturday, and I don't feel ready to try and get on a C team at all yet.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Fingat posted:

Trip report. First pickup in like 5 or 6 years this AM. I suck in the mornings, and also hit a detour on the way to the rink, and got dressed too slow. So I missed warmups which I really fuckin needed. My skate wasn't tight enough on one side and I just got a new sharpen, so I fell 3 or 4 times on my first shift, and felt awful. It was supposed to be a beginner/intermediate level but I've never been to this skate, and didn't know how it would be. It def was more of a wide range of skills than I expected. My rust was thick and crusty. Also I had to take off the CCM mask it was impairing my vision too much. I was pretty dead by the end but started to get things coming back. My first good open shot went flying over the top corner. I really needed to get a feel for this new stick. This all would be fine except the summer league draft is Saturday, and I don't feel ready to try and get on a C team at all yet.

Just think how much of a stud you’ll be when you end up on a team below your skill level and you finally start performing

Fingat
May 17, 2004

V for Vegans posted:

Just think how much of a stud you’ll be when you end up on a team below your skill level and you finally start performing

The bottom is C3 and they already did the draft a couple weeks ago so I don't know what will happen. I signed up for the stick and puck and open pickup after the draft Saturday so I have some reps coming.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Speaking of, stinky socks is doing a draft league this summer at the Bruins practice rink. It seems tempting to try, especially since the guy organizing the summer pick up games that most of my team play in blocked me on Facebook last spring so I’m probably not invited to play. Anyone else in the Boston area doing it?

Fingat
May 17, 2004

I decided to wait on doing the summer league. Besides feeling way more rusty I also thought about how much I'm planning to be away this summer, and decided the fall would work way better.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is there anything worse than being down 3-2 late in the third, you're in the slot and a pass comes towards you.. and you one time it about four inches wide of the post. That corner was wiiiiiiide loving open too.

loving poo poo gently caress, gently caress you hockey

I'm gonna be mad about it all week.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Have someone break your stick

And I finally conquered my covid fear and start coaching 14U again tomorrow. I'm vaccinated since February so I shouldn't die when I inevitably catch it from some numbskull teenager.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Good news is they just said Pfizer is ok for 12+.

I coach 9U and tell them if they get close enough that I can hit them with my stick I’m gonna, and we all wear masks.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Finally back on the ice for the first time in over 14 months. Stationary bike was not even close to enough to keeping me in good enough cardio shape for hockey. It's gonna be a while before I'm back at the level I was pre-quarantine.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Our rink just declared victory over COVID and removed all restrictions. No mask requirement for players or anyone in the building. Locker rooms back open. Showers open. No capacity limits. Business as usual.

I’m sure re-opening the snack bar will be coming shortly with pitchers of beer being jacked up to $25 to pay back their PPP loan and re-banning outside parking lot beers.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 18, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Finally back on the ice for the first time in over 14 months. Stationary bike was not even close to enough to keeping me in good enough cardio shape for hockey. It's gonna be a while before I'm back at the level I was pre-quarantine.

It worked pretty well for me, but I'd been doing 20+ minutes a night on a spin bike for three months straight.

I definitely wasn't slower my first time out, though my quads were pretty sore for the first few days. I adjusted my strength routine to try and help with that but it probably wasn't necessary, everything feels fine now (four games in). Hockey Tracker says I'm skating about the same too, which is nice I guess.

Our rink just declared victory over COVID and removed all restrictions. No mask requirement for players or anyone in the building. Locker rooms back open. Showers open. No capacity limits. Business as usual.

My rink has a bunch of so-called "safety protocols" and aren't enforcing a single goddamn one of them. There's supposed to be a health screen on check in, masks in the locker room, showers closed, and no spectators. There's literally zero enforcement so the exact opposite of all of that is happening.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

My rink has a bunch of so-called "safety protocols" and aren't enforcing a single goddamn one of them. There's supposed to be a health screen on check in, masks in the locker room, showers closed, and no spectators. There's literally zero enforcement so the exact opposite of all of that is happening.

Yep, our rink did the same once our county announced they weren't enforcing anything. The only places that got in trouble were the ones that served alcohol, so the ABC (alcoholic beverage control, a state entity instead of county) were the only ones shutting people down. So, the rink only closed down the snack bar/beer taps, so they wouldn't be subject to inspection. It was incredibly stupid to stay open in the face of a pandemic, but I understand why they tried to do what they could, especially given the direction from the county.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
One thing I have not missed over the past 14 months is that glove smell

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

I’m sure re-opening the snack bar will be coming shortly with pitchers of beer being jacked up to $25 to pay back their PPP loan and re-banning outside parking lot beers.

If they have to pay back that PPP loan, they did it wrong.

Played for the first time since the first week of March 2020 and my hips and knees did not remember how dropping in to butterfly felt. That was an awful first 15 minutes followed by another 45 minutes of realizing how worse I am at tracking the puck now. Still, felt great to get back on the ice, even with the awkwardness of the mask under my goalie mask.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

One thing I have not missed over the past 14 months is that glove smell

A post percolated up reddit today claiming that shaving cream fixed the smell. Why they didn't use an antibacterial hand sanitizer like everyone should have available these days is a mystery to me, but I guess old wives tales have to start somewhere.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
I think the idea is that the Shaving Cream also has additives that helps keep the palm of the gloves soft. Whereas the alcohol could dry it out and stiffen it. But I think this is from back when most palms were made of leather.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Stinky socks sent out an email this week the day after Mass announced that they were dropping all restrictions at the end of the month saying they were looking to run a tournament at “various rinks in the area” and that they expect light restrictions. I think they’re going to find whichever rinks remove all restrictions and just a schedule games there. It sounds interesting, but I’m not sure how my body would handle multiple games in one weekend at this point. Might be a good shock to the system that I need though.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Holy gently caress. First late game, all other have been 730pm which was nice. 1030 start tonight. We got steamrolled with 3 goals in the first as this team has a few ringers way above the skill level of their team. They went up early but we eventually stuck with it, shut them down and took the lead. I got a nice goal where I came in off the right boards and shot, hit the leg pad and it bounced straight back to me where I shot it high and in. Also got a nice assist where wingers cross creased the goalie to get him moving and back to the guy in the slot to bury it.

Fun game, ended up winning 6-5.

gently caress I hate late games and not showering at the rink.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Verman posted:

Holy gently caress. First late game, all other have been 730pm which was nice. 1030 start tonight. We got steamrolled with 3 goals in the first as this team has a few ringers way above the skill level of their team. They went up early but we eventually stuck with it, shut them down and took the lead. I got a nice goal where I came in off the right boards and shot, hit the leg pad and it bounced straight back to me where I shot it high and in. Also got a nice assist where wingers cross creased the goalie to get him moving and back to the guy in the slot to bury it.

Fun game, ended up winning 6-5.

gently caress I hate late games and not showering at the rink.

If there’s one restriction I cannot wait to have lifted it’s the lack of locker rooms/ showers. Driving 30 minutes home while just sitting in my moist hockey shirt is an experience I won’t miss.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
My first game back tonight and in true local beer league fashion it's at 12:10 am.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

V for Vegans posted:

If there’s one restriction I cannot wait to have lifted it’s the lack of locker rooms/ showers. Driving 30 minutes home while just sitting in my moist hockey shirt is an experience I won’t miss.

I can't shower right after a game, i just start sweating again before I even dry off. Need that cool down time.

Was on the ice for hockey stuff last night, for the first time since February last year - coaching 14U again. Evidently while I was gone everyone except for a small few got covid, which doesn't surprise me one bit. The rink didn't do poo poo and just left it up to the players to deal with.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

V for Vegans posted:

I wear shirt A to the rink, wear shirt B during game, change back into shirt A after game. Boom.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

You're a psychopath if you don't at least change shirts after your skate.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Hmmm, maybe that explains my absolute lack of empathy and manipulative nature.

If I change shirts will I get better?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You'll smell better.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Yea I'm not a shower at the rink guy either, the cleanliness is questionable, but its more about another whole set of items for me to forget. I just peel off the compression gear and throw on my tshirt and hoodie.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Pleads posted:

You're a psychopath if you don't at least change shirts after your skate.

And socks. Yuck.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't skate wear a shirt underneath while I skate. I just go home and shower after, unless I'm having a beer with the boys or something.

Well, that's my story.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I like to shower at the rink because otherwise I'm waking myself all the way back up when I get home, vs being able to go straight to bed.

We're probably not getting rinks back until August in Ontario and this thread is gonna be hell to read until then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Since I'm not in a league this summer and I'm feeling really rusty after not playing for so long, I'm spending the money I would've spent on a league in hiring a private coach to help me out with my weak points in skating. It should really boost my progress in getting back to where I was pre-quarantine.