Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Surprised Wilt didn't do that at least once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/WeAreCavsNation/status/1390372822267146247

😱

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1390711504090013696

Go off, Luka

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
If he gets one in the last game would he be suspended for the play in?

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1390715648469311488

it took 1000 years, but the warriors finally made a good decision this season

e: to clarify, i'm not talking about jordan bell

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

gently caress yeah JTA is the best

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Senator Drinksalot posted:

50 assists is a lot.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Assists are dependent on your team shooting high percentage which has increased over the years of aiming at efficient shots. Stands to reason it's a lot easier to get assists when your teammates aren't shooting janky long 2's.

Rebounding has and never will be impressive. Contested rebounds should be the only ones counted but for some reason people go gaga over a guy catching a deflected shot with no one around him.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

The Maestro posted:

If he gets one in the last game would he be suspended for the play in?

Historically they've handled suspensions only regular season, so he'd be suspended for the first game next year. SOmetimes suspensions will specifically call out post season, but I don't think the tech one does.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I checked the season where Wilt averaged the most assists, looks like he got to 45 over three games. (Ended the season with nine straight triple doubles, too.)

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Doltos posted:

Rebounding has and never will be impressive. Contested rebounds should be the only ones counted but for some reason people go gaga over a guy catching a deflected shot with no one around him.

offensive rebounds off of your own missed shots shouldn't count either.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Paperback Writer posted:

gently caress yeah JTA is the best

Love that guy, yeah.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Katana_Warrior posted:

Do NOT subtweet Randle like this.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Katana_Warrior posted:

somewhere Jermaine O'Neal is just furious

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Katana_Warrior posted:

call it the Ricky Davis Rule

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kingcobweb posted:

I checked the season where Wilt averaged the most assists, looks like he got to 45 over three games. (Ended the season with nine straight triple doubles, too.)

I wonder how many quadruple doubles he would have had that year if they'd bothered to track blocks

wilt getting so bored he decided to see if he could lead the league in assists and then going out and actually doing it is so funny, it must have been fun as hell to be the biggest and most athletic guy in the league by like a factor of 10

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Katana_Warrior posted:

RickyDavisShakingHisHead.gif

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Rebounding is a fundamental skill and it's always been weird how people decided to degrade it the moment russ started getting triple doubles

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
andre drummond ruined rebounds as a cool stat imo

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Stevie Lee posted:

andre drummond ruined rebounds as a cool stat imo

no, that was absolutely Jeff Foster

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Stevie Lee posted:

moses malone ruined rebounds as a cool stat imo

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Metapod posted:

Rebounding is a fundamental skill and it's always been weird how people decided to degrade it the moment russ started getting triple doubles

if i can put on my analyst hat for a moment, what matters is not whether a player gets a rebound, but whether a team gets a rebound. on defensive rebounds, the player getting the rebound is adding only small marginal value, because if he didn't get it, there are 2 or 3 teammates in good position to get it. that is not the case on offensive rebounds, where there is likely only one offensive player in position to get the rebound, and the marginal value is high. we can adjust for all this. westbrook has always been an excellent offensive rebounder, and until the last couple of seasons, his impact on his team's offensive rebounding has been very high (over the last two seasons, his impact has been slightly better than average, which is still excellent for a guard). on the defensive end, his impact is less because the marginal value of any player's rebounds is smaller. the impact of westbrook's defensive rebounds has been slightly better than average in every season over his career, which again is decent for a guard, but not spectacular. no one i think would disagree with any of this. he is a good to great rebounder.

the degrading you mention is not of his ability, which is unquestionable, but the naked cynicism of his stat padding in areas that don't translate into wins and avoidance of things that do translate into wins, like defense and shooting.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

y’all don’t mind if i kramer into a discussion about assists do ya

sometime in the 70s (post big o pre bird/magic), the rules/guidelines for scoring assists got changed. it used to be that players weren’t supposed to get credit for an assist if the player they passed it to did anything besides take a shot. so if they dribbled or posted up or even got into a triple threat, no assist

this changes sometime around the introduction of the three point line. in light of this, oscar and will’s achievements in dimes are actually even more impressive than they look

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

woah hey I degraded it to slander andre drummond

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

MourningView posted:

I wonder how many quadruple doubles he would have had that year if they'd bothered to track blocks

wilt getting so bored he decided to see if he could lead the league in assists and then going out and actually doing it is so funny, it must have been fun as hell to be the biggest and most athletic guy in the league by like a factor of 10

From what I've heard (from the Thinking Basketball youtube) is that it was also his Philly coach going "hey what if you... didn't take 30+ shots a game. No not even 25 shots." So he took 14 really good shots a game, shot 68% instead of 54%, got 8 assists a game, and they won a championship in '67 when previously the Wilt teams had never done better than losing 4-1 in the finals

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

sometime in the 70s (post big o pre bird/magic), the rules/guidelines for scoring assists got changed. it used to be that players weren’t supposed to get credit for an assist if the player they passed it to did anything besides take a shot. so if they dribbled or posted up or even got into a triple threat, no assist

this changes sometime around the introduction of the three point line. in light of this, oscar and will’s achievements in dimes are actually even more impressive than they look

do you have a citation for this?? i've never heard this. I'm watching this highlight package now (pro click btw) and a bunch of his assists are with the guy taking a dribble first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0EPblJCcM8

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think the problem is rebounds and assists are to vague. A contested rebounded is the same stat increase as cleaning up a missed shot no one is contesting. Making the statpretty easy to game if you want to.

Russ does this sometimes but he isn’t the only one

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/NikolaVucevic/status/1390680688945422337?s=19

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

We should start referring to rebounds as ball boards again.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

R.D. Mangles posted:

We should start referring to rebounds as ball boards again.

I miss when the phrase Z bound was going for Randolph’s rebounds.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

kingcobweb posted:

Lol, totally normal 7-footer behavior

Doltos posted:

Agreed, but then: Rodman.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

dokmo posted:

if i can put on my analyst hat for a moment, what matters is not whether a player gets a rebound, but whether a team gets a rebound. on defensive rebounds, the player getting the rebound is adding only small marginal value, because if he didn't get it, there are 2 or 3 teammates in good position to get it. that is not the case on offensive rebounds, where there is likely only one offensive player in position to get the rebound, and the marginal value is high.

I disagree with this who gets the rebound matters a lot and changes the value dramatically on both offense and defense. If you take the lakers and on a defensive rebound either Drummond or Schröder has a chance to get it is much more valuable for Schröder to get it because he can instantly start a fast break chance when the defense is at its most vulnerable transitioning back trying to get their spots. If Drummond gets it that opportunity is most likely gone because it will take him a second or two to pass to Schröder and the window will be shut if the opponent isn't slacking.

dokmo posted:

the degrading you mention is not of his ability, which is unquestionable, but the naked cynicism of his stat padding in areas that don't translate into wins and avoidance of things that do translate into wins, like defense and shooting.

He has wins 75% of his games when his "naked cynicism of stat padding" occurs

Declan MacManus posted:

That's really neat

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s up there as most bizarre. I will need some space of time to fully grasp how strange the writers went but it’s really wild

It’s certainly revolutionary and changes the entire award which I guess they are allowed to do as the judges

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
truly bizarre a real mystery how anyone could arrive at this conclusion

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I did a double take when I realized he didn't mean that Wright had clearly lost his mind

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Rebounds are very important and what Russ is doing is amazing. gently caress the haters.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

kingcobweb posted:

do you have a citation for this?? i've never heard this. I'm watching this highlight package now (pro click btw) and a bunch of his assists are with the guy taking a dribble first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0EPblJCcM8

it’s mostly anecdotal, i remember reading it a long time ago; i was trying to find an official rules change or anything like that but it’s the reason that guys like cousy were leading the league with 7 assists per game despite teams playing way faster back then

i’ll see if i can dig something more concrete up

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Adding GWB to the subgroup that walks around holding the mask like it's a talisman that wards off viruses.

Hirsute posted:

Potentially in Luka's defense - how many young slovenian children pay attention to US politics really? Maybe??

We're now in the period where he's supposed to get rehabilitated in the public eye etc.

R.D. Mangles posted:

what's the conversion rate on Hero Points to Net Points

Last year ten hero points equaled roughly one net point.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
If I were a NBA hot take guy on TV I'd probably just focus on the play-in or maybe lie and make up something about people telling me LeBron wants to join the Knicks or whatever. Pretending Jokic isn't good at this point is just humiliating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

chilihead posted:

What does this mean? NBA thread switches to subtle conspiracy theories. First i'm going to google Bush/Kennedy then i'm going to make up a few reasons why Lebron is missing.

Someone just told LBJ he recently became the NBA/ABA all-time turnover champion. He is now sitting out to let others catch up to him.

Veryslightlymad posted:

...the ft penalty is ridiculous. In what universe is a missed free throw as bad as a missed shot?! If you get fouled shooting you get two, so if you split them, that's a way better outcome than missing a bad shot, and sure, it's worth one more hero point, but split pairs = 0 points, even though it actually advances the score? Get the gently caress outta here, Hero Points.

Yes, if they used the .44 multiplier it'd be better. But I doubt they wanted Hero Points to have decimal points.

If you had three FTs and missed two you'd have -1 hero points.

Algund Eenboom posted:

Zogo, how many hero points is one point

Here is the breakdown of HP from the infamous game from 5/3/18:

code:
Starters		Hero Points
Robert Covington	30
Terry Rozier		29
Al Horford		26
Joel Embiid		22
J.J. Redick		21
Marcus Smart		18
Jayson Tatum		17