Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The ChrEdge engine is going to replace the internal rendering engine Windows uses for web views in applications, so it makes sense it can't be uninstalled.

Also, Microsoft seems to think the way to get users to switch from Chrome to their variant is adding tons of useless or duplicate features with every version, it's absurd.

And PlayReady (for Netflix HD) really is terribly janky compared to Widevine (Chrome).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Geemer posted:

21H1 is already available for insiders to alpha test and will be available for Joe Schmoe Everyman to beta test some time in May.
It's been in release preview for a while. I'm on that ring and I'm running it for an undefined time (because I forgot I was still running insider builds).

Fame Douglas posted:

And PlayReady (for Netflix HD) really is terribly janky compared to Widevine (Chrome).
Anything video related in ChrEdge seems to be janky. I get plenty of black flashes for no reason.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's funny because I'd used to use old edge for videos because it sucked way less battery than Chrome did. Not anymore!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If you can't wait and want 21H1 right now, you can download the enablement package MSU from the Windows Update Catalog manually: https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/174456-kb5000736-windows-10-insider-beta-channel-build-19043-844-21h1.html

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

It's been in release preview for a while. I'm on that ring and I'm running it for an undefined time (because I forgot I was still running insider builds).

That makes you one of the alpha testers in the bit you quoted. ;)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Eh, they have a dev ring, too. They're the alpha testers.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Is there a way i can assign the various audio devices I use on my PC a hotkey or something? IE, switching audio output defaults to Gaming Headset 1 would be CTRL-2, then my speakers CTRL 3, etc

its cool if it requires a download as long as it isnt sketchy or whatevs. I tried to see if i could use display fusion for this but if I can do what I need that way, it seems to be buried. (display fusion allows you to go to the next or previous setting, but id like to bind specifics)

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Statutory Ape posted:

Is there a way i can assign the various audio devices I use on my PC a hotkey or something? IE, switching audio output defaults to Gaming Headset 1 would be CTRL-2, then my speakers CTRL 3, etc

its cool if it requires a download as long as it isnt sketchy or whatevs. I tried to see if i could use display fusion for this but if I can do what I need that way, it seems to be buried. (display fusion allows you to go to the next or previous setting, but id like to bind specifics)

EarTrumpet potentially has what you're looking for https://eartrumpet.app/

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

Statutory Ape posted:

You could also rig something up with NirSoft's SoundVolumeView by creating some shortcuts. Probably a bit more fiddly though.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Statutory Ape posted:

There's a neat utility called nircmd that can do all sorts of poo poo including switch audio output. You feed it the friendly name of the output device as a command line option and it does the switch. Ex on my system to switch to my monitor's built-in speakers I'd call it like nircmd setdefaultsounddevice "ASUS PB258".

So you could set up a couple shortcuts and use the standard windows ability to add hotkeys to a shortcut's properties. Or use something more robust like autohotkey to handle the hotkeys that just runs nircmd.

(Nircmd is awesome, everyone should look at it because it probably does at least one thing that you'll say "holy poo poo that's just what I've always wanted!")

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Klyith posted:

(Nircmd is awesome, everyone should look at it because it probably does at least one thing that you'll say "holy poo poo that's just what I've always wanted!")

Lets list all the things we've used nircmd for, or other NirSoft utilities. That is a pretty amazing free toolset.

Before I used to put my computer to sleep I ran the command 'nircmd monitor off' to put the monitors to sleep when I went to bed. I've also tried using MultiMonitorTool to battle my displayport sleep issues, but unfortunately I couldn't get it to work reliably.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Forgive me if this has been asked already, but I did a search for "Cortana" and "20h2" and the hits were crazy.

My MSI GT72 laptop recently did a monster "feature" update to 20H2 and every time my computer boots up now I get a beta Cortana log in prompt out of the bottom left. I never use Cortana, certainly nothing beta. I have no options to uninstall it and nothing shows in startup to disable it.

I tried to log-in and see if it would then give me an option to disable it, but nope, only thing is to decline the conditions and then it keeps continually nagging. I cancel the window and it pops back up after a minute or two.

Is there something I'm obviously missing to make it go-away? I thought Cortana was on its way out for some reason.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Saukkis posted:

Lets list all the things we've used nircmd for, or other NirSoft utilities. That is a pretty amazing free toolset.

Before I used to put my computer to sleep I ran the command 'nircmd monitor off' to put the monitors to sleep when I went to bed. I've also tried using MultiMonitorTool to battle my displayport sleep issues, but unfortunately I couldn't get it to work reliably.

I have monitor off bound to a hotkey, led monotors resume from sleep so fast that I just whack that any time I'm standing up.

A real lifesaver thing: many years ago I was playing a game which had no internal volume settings and was too loud. I could of course use the windows per-app volume mixer to adjust it down, but the game also reset it back to 100% every time it started. So I made a little script to start the game, then run nircmd setappvolume after a short delay.

And while I was looking at the help file just now for the sound device thing, I just noticed the clonefiletime command which is *exactly* what I needed for another small thing on my todo list! Thanks nircmd!

slidebite posted:

Forgive me if this has been asked already, but I did a search for "Cortana" and "20h2" and the hits were crazy.

My MSI GT72 laptop recently did a monster "feature" update to 20H2 and every time my computer boots up now I get a beta Cortana log in prompt out of the bottom left. I never use Cortana, certainly nothing beta. I have no options to uninstall it and nothing shows in startup to disable it.

I tried to log-in and see if it would then give me an option to disable it, but nope, only thing is to decline the conditions and then it keeps continually nagging. I cancel the window and it pops back up after a minute or two.

Is there something I'm obviously missing to make it go-away? I thought Cortana was on its way out for some reason.

1. You can uninstall cortana now. Doesn't affect stuff like basic search anymore, so if you don't care about cortana it has no impact.

2. Is the log in prompt trying to get you to sign in to a MS account, or something else? If it's for a MS account, and you have Pro, do this:
win+r -> gpedit for group policy editor
navigate Group Policies -> Computer Config -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options -> Accounts: Block Microsoft Accounts
double click that and set it to either of the blocking modes.

Highly recommend doing this anyways, since it also blocks the fullscreen ads for MS accounts that occasionally happen at login.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Klyith posted:

1. You can uninstall cortana now. Doesn't affect stuff like basic search anymore, so if you don't care about cortana it has no impact.

2. Is the log in prompt trying to get you to sign in to a MS account, or something else? If it's for a MS account, and you have Pro, do this:
navigate Group Policies -> Computer Config -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options -> Accounts: Block Microsoft Accounts

Highly recommend doing this anyways, since it also blocks the fullscreen ads for MS accounts that occasionally happen at login.
Thank you - I definitely don't care about Cortana so I will. I'm on my desktop right now but will do that for sure.

I think my laptop is on home (it was an 8.1 upgrade) but will check to be sure. But yeah, it is trying to get me to log in via my MS account.

I do have an MS account as I periodically use Skype and have MSFS on my main PC.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

slidebite posted:

I do have an MS account as I periodically use Skype and have MSFS on my main PC.

The group policy thing doesn't block use of MS accounts in other software, only having the OS user account be a MS account.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

OK. So, I followed the instructions to kill in on startup, and as I thought it doesn't even show on the startup, at all (as in, not even showing disabled, there is nothing there, just my standard boot-up stuff) but interestingly enough that whole Cortana thing didn't startup when I fired it up either... I literally wasn't able to do anything to stop it yesterday. So IDKWTF. :shrug:

I'll need to use the laptop later on when I work out, so I'll see what it does then.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I've used nircmd + PStart for years for hotkeys to do things that I'm too lazy to make an AHK script for. Making an AHK is not at all hard, mind you, but PStart does other useful things for me, so I've never bothered.

A million times a day, I change volume, toggle mouse acceleration when switching between pointing devices (b/c I won't use Logitech's W10 software), and make up for a bunch of keys and functions that aren't available when you use a decade-old Apple Wireless keyboard on Windows 10.

For a while, when I was diagnosing an issue that was causing my PC to randomly crash, I had a key combo ready that would quickly shut it down instead when it started showing signs.

PStart also does some dumb stuff I'm sure dedicated software would do better, like pop up nirsoft reminders to do things I keep forgetting, or announcing the time. I also use it as a really, really lazy Task Scheduler.

It's all highly specific stuff that other software won't do the way I want, that probably no one else cares about.

NirCmd: It's for that highly specific stuff that matters only to you.

Klyith posted:

Hello, added to my w10_annoyances.txt

Worf
Sep 12, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Klyith posted:

There's a neat utility called nircmd that can do all sorts of poo poo including switch audio output. You feed it the friendly name of the output device as a command line option and it does the switch. Ex on my system to switch to my monitor's built-in speakers I'd call it like nircmd setdefaultsounddevice "ASUS PB258".

So you could set up a couple shortcuts and use the standard windows ability to add hotkeys to a shortcut's properties. Or use something more robust like autohotkey to handle the hotkeys that just runs nircmd.

Thank you this looks extremely up my alley. Is it safe to say that if I'm ok with going down this route that it would be redundant to use SoundVolumeView? If theres a more robust option that will save me from asking a similar question about a different function i'd just as soon learn it from the top town

also, since we're talking about cortana, is there any way i can just install googles voice assistant on my PC yet? it blows my mind that i can talk to most devices i own except the most complicated one

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to load a fully updated version of the Win 10 installer onto a USB drive?

I need to install the OS on a machine with a bad internet connection, and inevitably every time I use Media Creator Tool, the OS will download gigabytes of patches.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is there a way to load a fully updated version of the Win 10 installer onto a USB drive?

I need to install the OS on a machine with a bad internet connection, and inevitably every time I use Media Creator Tool, the OS will download gigabytes of patches.

You could give this a shot: https://www.technipages.com/slipstreaming-a-windows-10-installation

Otherwise if you know which updates you need, you could download the offline installers from the Windows update catalog and run those after installing.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The MCT updates every time there is a major release of the OS but it doesn't include the patches released since then. So right now you'd be looking at the patches released since 20H2.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Geemer posted:

You could give this a shot: https://www.technipages.com/slipstreaming-a-windows-10-installation

Otherwise if you know which updates you need, you could download the offline installers from the Windows update catalog and run those after installing.

Thanks! I knew that NTLite was a thing but it'd been so long that my brain kept thinking of "Ninite" so I figured I must have dreamed it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Thanks! I knew that NTLite was a thing but it'd been so long that my brain kept thinking of "Ninite" so I figured I must have dreamed it.

Glad to have helped. Also, an addendum if you want to keep Secure Boot on https://superuser.com/questions/1610967/how-to-slipstream-windows-10-with-uefi-and-secure-boot-enabled

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Statutory Ape posted:

https://soundswitch.aaflalo.me/ For what it's worth I use this for a pretty similar but not exactly the same scenario.

I will also note that AHK is really not great for this sort of stuff; audio is...finicky as poo poo, to put it bluntly, and I spent about 3-6 months off and on trying to get an AHK swapping script working for this. Never found nircmd for what its worth but SoundSwitch was exactly what I was looking for.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 3, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Falcon2001 posted:

https://soundswitch.aaflalo.me/ For what it's worth I use this for a pretty similar but not exactly the same scenario.

I will also note that AHK is really not great for this sort of stuff; audio is...finicky as poo poo, to put it bluntly, and I spent about 3-6 months off and on trying to get an AHK swapping script working for this. Never found nircmd for what its worth but SoundSwitch was exactly what I was looking for.

Pretty much everything for dealing with windows sound devices is kinda finnicky, because the way you interact with stuff down at the API / programming level is with an audio device ID number. Those are potentially subject to change, with any sort of hardware that connects & disconnects (ex bluetooth headphones) or software audio devices.

There's the friendly, user-settable name assigned to the device, but that's not directly usable and not guaranteed to be unique, which is why the AHK built-in functions only take ID#. You can just query the devices to match a name with an ID#, which is likely what nircmd is doing (and there are AHK library scripts out there where people have implemented that type of function).

But those friendly names are also potentially are subject to change. Sometimes my crappy monitor gets reset to the generic monitor drivers, at which point the name changes from "ASUS PB258" to "PnP Monitor" or whatever. At which point the name->ID path is busted and the nircmd shortcut stops working.

That soundswitch program might have some basic smarts to handle cases like that, since someone went to the trouble of making a real app to do device switching. If it does that would make it the best option for this job by far!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Insider-related question for anyone who might know or who knows how to handle Win10's update delivery system: I was previously enrolled in the Beta channel of the Insider program on my laptop. I unenrolled earlier this week, went through the whole "Leave the Insider Program" thing, set my machine to go back to the retail update channel when the next update drops.

Today, I booted up my laptop and it decided it wants to install a Dev Channel update (21370.1, which was released yesterday). I'm confused as to how Microsoft decided to push a Dev channel build to my machine considering that 1) I have never been enrolled in the Dev channel and 2) I unenrolled the machine from the program several days ago. I went through all the steps again, unlinked my Insider account from the Settings panel, all that regular junk, restarted the computer and it still insists on trying to download this Dev build. Is there anything I can do to force cancel or delete this update? I looked at the changelog and it doesn't look like there are any major known issues and I mulled just letting it install, but I really don't want to be installing any Dev builds at all on this machine.

I tried looking up how to force cancel an Insider build update but everything just tells me to unenroll from the program which I've already done. The machine has a Win10 Home key so my interim solution has been to just pause updates for 7 days, but I anticipate that unless MS releases a new retail build in the next 7 days, it'll just try to download the Dev build again as soon as the pause timer is up.

EDIT: Just remembered the Media Creation Tool. I'm gonna try running it and see if it won't just install the RTM Spring '21 update fresh.
EDIT2: Nope, MCT can only wipe the entire PC and start fresh since the last Beta build I installed was a later build number than the Spring Update. Womp womp

barnold fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 7, 2021

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Is there a way to have it so when you right click in a folder or whatever and go "New > Text Document", that the "New Text Document.txt" is encoded in UTF-8 instead of the old rear end ANSI?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Im_Special posted:

Is there a way to have it so when you right click in a folder or whatever and go "New > Text Document", that the "New Text Document.txt" is encoded in UTF-8 instead of the old rear end ANSI?

the New Text Document.txt is a zero character, zero byte empty file. So the file itself is not technically encoded in anything the first time you open it.

What text editing program are you using? What you need is a text editor that defaults to UTF, which AFAIK windows notepad does do these days.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I use notepad++, and I already do have it set to UTF-8 by default for new docs, but when I go "New > Text Document" in explorer, and open that 0 byte file it's reported as ANSI, by notepad++ anyway...

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Does np++ not automatically change encoding when you have some non-ansi characters in the buffer? That's a bit disappointing.

I suppose you could remove the standard New Text Document from the ShellNew menu. Then make a new txt file with like 1 newline, saved as UTF, and add that file to the new menu. (However I would change 1 thing with those instructions: they have you save the template file to C:\windows\shellnew\ -- that will get erased by the next major update. You can put the file elsewhere and put the full path in the registry.)

Or if you're taking recommendations for new text-editing software, the first time I tried SublimeText I was done with np++ forever. Sublime isn't free, but you can "evaluate" it forever. I just tested this with sublime by pasting ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) into a new text document.txt and it saved it UTF-8.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I think it can automatically change encodings, but I don't have it set to do that.

You're right about the zero byte file not technically being encoded in anything, this is probably just a bug or an oversight with notepad++, I'll bring it up with the developer and maybe something can be done about it in the future, because a zero byte .txt file "should" be opened as UTF-8 if that's how notepad++ was set to do so.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Im_Special posted:

I think it can automatically change encodings, but I don't have it set to do that.

You're right about the zero byte file not technically being encoded in anything, this is probably just a bug or an oversight with notepad++, I'll bring it up with the developer and maybe something can be done about it in the future, because a zero byte .txt file "should" be opened as UTF-8 if that's how notepad++ was set to do so.

That does appear to be a np++ issue. Just tried doing this with VSCode, and and it reported it as UTF-8.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Klyith posted:

Just wanted to thank you for that link - it appears to have worked with my laptop. I've never done powershell stuff before but seems to have worked well

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
IIRC they removed Cortana but also just renamed/rebranded search under a different new name, location "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Search_12345abcdf\SearchApp.exe", so removing the old Cortana should not break (still sucks though) search function anymore.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Huh. For those that care what MS is thinking about windows and want to calibrate their crystal balls, they have shelved / cancelled Windows 10X. Once again, "refocus on core windows" etc etc.

Dunno what this means other than a) they figured out nobody really wants it, or b) it wasn't going well.

(10X was going to be the ChromeOS-like version of windows, made for the dual-screen devices and with MS Store being the native / preferred way to run apps.)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It doesn't look like they could quite get Win32 emulation working properly, as it was delayed then apparently replaced with online streaming/virtualization. But I'd be surprised if that worked particularly well with the new interface, since you're meant to be running individual Win32 programs instead of a full desktop.

In terms of basic performance it seemed really impressive, but it's the same problem as before, where Windows is built on traditional desktop apps, and they can't yet convince people to move to universal apps. Without Win32 to plug the gap in the meantime, what does it have that Chrome/Android/iOS don't?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

and they can't yet convince people to move to universal apps
They hosed that one up with the Store restriction, that lasted up until very recently, and incomplete API back when they first released it. The train left the station IMO. I'm saying that as someone who was enthusiastic about WinRT many moons ago.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

They hosed that one up with the Store restriction, that lasted up until very recently, and incomplete API back when they first released it. The train left the station IMO. I'm saying that as someone who was enthusiastic about WinRT many moons ago.

Does that mean that Microsoft created a store for Windows programs, but instead of allowing all programs to be put there, MS allowed only a specific subset of programs no one really wanted in the first place?

Yes I wonder why it didn't catch...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Well, that, too.

But I meant the other way around. For the longest time, you could only distribute WinRT/UWP apps through the store, that needed to run in a sandbox with severe restrictions. They've been slowpoking changing it, but it's still not possible to create standalone applications a la Win32 with the UWP APIs (well, the UI toolkit bits of it, anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
a shame what happened to 10X because I would've loved running a modernized version of windows that isn't a pita to use as a tablet