Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'm only at the end of Day 3 in Disco Elysium, but I am so utterly absorbed into the worldbuilding of this game it's not funny

everything about the Pale and Dolores Dei I've learned thus far are like, mind-shattering things to learn when you start out assuming the setting is grounded, if fictionalized version of the world

I can and have written pages and pages of navel-gazing bullshit about it, it's so loving good

there's a novel set in the same world but it's written in loving Estonian. zaum said they were aiming to release a translation before the end of 2020 but they clearly focused on the final cut instead, which is only the latest in the long list of betrayals committed against me by the coward robert kurvitz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

World War Mammories posted:

I can and have written pages and pages of navel-gazing bullshit about it, it's so loving good

there's a novel set in the same world but it's written in loving Estonian. zaum said they were aiming to release a translation before the end of 2020 but they clearly focused on the final cut instead, which is only the latest in the long list of betrayals committed against me by the coward robert kurvitz

WHERE'S THE BOOK ROBERT?!? :argh:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fuligin posted:

I might be doing my latin wrong but 'deus in nobis' seems like gibberish and its botherin me a lot right now

I guess you enjoyed the classic "Romans go Home" scene from Life of Brian

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

genericnick posted:

The pale is also climate change though

I took it to be symbolic of the frontier problem. like at the dawn of time 0% of the world had been discovered by humans and then bigger percentages of it got discovered and it got to the point where the discovery was different groups of humans discovering parts of the world previously discovered by other groups of humans and now that there's a history ending global economy you don't have epicycles of discovery you just have one massive capitalism chipping away at a final 100% discovery. the pale is like that, a representation in flows or manifestations of memory that there's just no new ground to tread upon to the extent that there isn't even other peoples ground to tread upon

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
this is kind of a long shot, but has anyone played drox operative 2? i kind of want to get it but it's early access and idk how early the access is

soldak's games are all pretty decent, btw

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

The Voice of Labor posted:

I took it to be symbolic of the frontier problem. like at the dawn of time 0% of the world had been discovered by humans and then bigger percentages of it got discovered and it got to the point where the discovery was different groups of humans discovering parts of the world previously discovered by other groups of humans and now that there's a history ending global economy you don't have epicycles of discovery you just have one massive capitalism chipping away at a final 100% discovery. the pale is like that, a representation in flows or manifestations of memory that there's just no new ground to tread upon to the extent that there isn't even other peoples ground to tread upon

I don't think this fits the metaphor. Take it to the point we're at today and we know the shape of the frontier and the effort that would be required to cross it, we have satellites, space telescopes, we know our place in the universe. In DE the nature of the pale is unknown and suggested to be unknowable. Governments may well be launching secret expeditions into it in the hopes of discovering new continents and hearing nothing back, the pale consumes them. If your metaphor held true they would end up in known places, finding that the pale was in fact knowable and crossable and there was nothing else to find. The world would be known, finished.

The pale represents something else. Something partially spiritual. Or at least I hope it does. If it boils down to "An Ocean But Mysterious" I'll be awfully disappointed.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
The pale is a metaphor for extinction, you fools, you buffoons

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Real hurthling! posted:

use your word edit to increase drop rate

dont cheat at nier, it robs you of the experience

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

cumshitter posted:

I don't even know you anymore

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

cumshitter posted:

You mother fucker!

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

smarxist posted:

That's what genericnick says too but even then it's weird. Climate change or extinction to the outsider feels like a slow inexorable dread but that isn't what it is, it happens really suddenly and unexpectedly as some vital part of your supply chain disappears, and then you adapt or die. You can pencil the pale in as what extinction feels like from the perspective of people who aren't experiencing it, the fear of it, the anticipation of it, but the DE universe doesn't feel all that in dread of immediate pale collapse. People are just going about their poo poo, the pale isn't going to consume them on any timescale that anyone cares about. It's only the ultra elite that really worry about it which is the opposite of the climate collapse that only matters to the poor.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

uber_stoat posted:

WHERE'S THE BOOK ROBERT?!? :argh:

GIVE US THE loving BOOK ROBERT

also whoa neat, the quoted color in dark mode is now a deep pink

Often Abbreviated posted:

That's what genericnick says too but even then it's weird. Climate change or extinction to the outsider feels like a slow inexorable dread but that isn't what it is, it happens really suddenly and unexpectedly as some vital part of your supply chain disappears, and then you adapt or die. You can pencil the pale in as what extinction feels like from the perspective of people who aren't experiencing it, the fear of it, the anticipation of it, but the DE universe doesn't feel all that in dread of immediate pale collapse. People are just going about their poo poo, the pale isn't going to consume them on any timescale that anyone cares about. It's only the ultra elite that really worry about it which is the opposite of the climate collapse that only matters to the poor.

well, I guess in the setting most people don't know and/or think about it, but we do know how long until the pale eats everything twenty-seven years

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

looks like Discord just died, which is pretty funny, considering:

https://twitter.com/discord/status/1390796082230136833

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The pale is just a ripoff of the one tng episode with crusher where the known universe becomes the size of the ship

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

well, I guess in the setting most people don't know and/or think about it, but we do know how long until the pale eats everything twenty-seven years

well then it's just a metaphor for (Harry's personal) mortality which is cool and elegant and all but death already exists.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I tried to play max payne 3 but couldnt beat the unskippable cutscnes at the beginning. I hear theres a mod for that though?

yea there is big recommend https://www.nexusmods.com/maxpayne3/mods/5

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lol Hasan is playing REVIII, we are rapidly approaching an incredible horny singularity on Twitch

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

how much of the game is about the giant lady anyway

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Reasons why Ethan is good: gets his hand cut off again, picks it up, escapes from vampire lady, puts it back on

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

"How much do you want it to be?" - some Capcom exec realizing they ton of DLC on their hands

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

like less than 1/3, she's part of a group of villains

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
giant lady turns out to be three small ladies standing on each others' shoulders

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

like less than 1/3, she's part of a group of villains

letdown of the year

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

well then it's just a metaphor for (Harry's personal) mortality which is cool and elegant and all but death already exists.

a blog post on zaum's website specifically says that "twenty-eight years remain until the end of the world" and by god I will not brook anything except literalism

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

a blog post on zaum's website specifically says that "twenty-eight years remain until the end of the world" and by god I will not brook anything except literalism

It's absolutely an interpretation, and DE is a brilliant piece of writing partly because it creates and allows for variance in interpretation. My feeling is more like "The world is created for every person who lives within in it, and it dies whenever they die", their perspective of the universe dies with them. The clock-to-the-end-of-the-world is something I've seen in other homebrew settings and whether the creators accept it or not I think it exists as a struggle with mortality. We're more comfortable with creating and ending a world in it's entirety. We don't want to create a thing and have it go on without us - even having children is traumatic in that it creates something to persist beyond ourselves. The pale exists to put an end date on the world. But DE is weird and transcendental enough that I think it's just Harry's world that's ending. The end of the world is relative to the viewer, and objects in the rear view mirror may appear closer than they are.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

lmao

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

is there a better pure "turn off your mind and drink up the dopamine" game out there than EDF because I posit no

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

oh please, those people keeping banging on about "peak Pale" like it''ll ever realistically be a problem. Before it gets that bad moralist innovation will surely find a solution.

It's absolutely an interpretation, and DE is a brilliant piece of writing partly because it creates and allows for variance in interpretation. My feeling is more like "The world is created for every person who lives within in it, and it dies whenever they die", their perspective of the universe dies with them. The clock-to-the-end-of-the-world is something I've seen in other homebrew settings and whether the creators accept it or not I think it exists as a struggle with mortality. We're more comfortable with creating and ending a world in it's entirety. We don't want to create a thing and have it go on without us - even having children is traumatic in that it creates something to persist beyond ourselves. The pale exists to put an end date on the world. But DE is weird and transcendental enough that I think it's just Harry's world that's ending. The end of the world is relative to the viewer, and objects in the rear view mirror may appear closer than they are.

you can tell the Moralintern about the pale spot in the church and they black bag you and disappear you, so they clearly know the end is nigh and are trying to keep a lid on it

pentyne has issued a correction as of 03:16 on May 8, 2021

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Casey Finnigan posted:

giant lady turns out to be three small ladies standing on each others' shoulders

I don't trust like that

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Casey Finnigan posted:

like the eric andre sketch, "I don't trust like that"

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
three villainous ladies, each larger than the last

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olYCsHuqjOo

I saw this and now you have to too

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Still trying to figure out what dingaling meant about lisa

https://twitter.com/DingalingGames/status/1179047757027237890?s=20

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

DoubleDonut posted:

three villainous ladies, each larger than the last

tell me more

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I mean the entirety of the series is about how Lisa was abused and basically tortured by her dad, and everything in the following games spins out from that idea, including the cycles of abuse w/r/t marty / lisa / buzzo / brad / buddy

even after she dies lisa basically haunts them

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

lesbian furries, too dark and unknowable to even speak of in the noble light of court :ohdear:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

smarxist posted:

it's a metaphor for how only the power of anodic dance music can stave of extinction

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
never get the club going because gently caress the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

is that furry adventure game on ps5 still not out yet lmao

im gonna buy and play the poo poo out it, hahah, as a joke, hahaha, wouldnt that be hilarious, im gonna do it for laughs lol