Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Somfin posted:

E: Also if we're doing superpower picking can we not do the thing where after someone picks a power folks pipe up with arbitrary limitations and other bullshit, jesus we're talking about people who can fly through the air, the idea of "ah but you can only do that at your walk speed" how the gently caress does that make sense, can you only fall at your walking speed, do you think folks fly with their walk muscles

After Hours solved this for us, the best power with little downside utility is time manipulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

More like teleporting into outer space, since the planet ain't exactly standing still in this universe.

If teleportation isn't relative to your inertial frame then it's going to be more of a deathtrap than a Tesla.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

We know this because the intern at the California DMV assigned to redacting the documents changed the font color to white.

https://twitter.com/PlainSite/status/1390454521000652800?s=19

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Mister Facetious posted:

More like teleporting into outer space, since the planet ain't exactly standing still in this universe.

That's more of a problem with time travel than with teleportation.

For teleportation, a bigger problem is relative velocity due to the Earth's spin, especially when travelling long distances. If you went from the U.S. to Australia in one jump, you'd arrive with a horizontal velocity of about 1,000 mph. If you jumped to Europe, you'd go flying off into the sky at about 700 mph. Going the other way (from Europe to the U.S.) you'd hit the ground at the same speed and leave quite the impact crater.

So even with instantaneous transport, there's a limit on how fast you can get from point A to point B (at least on the Earth's surface). In this case, the limit would be "how quickly can I change my velocity without dying?"

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Mister Facetious posted:

Plant twenty pounds of coke in his car and narc on him

Personally I'd take flight because you get to see the world, eat fresh produce anywhere on the planet for free, live in countries with affordable rent, and you can make a fortune in adventure tourism youtubing, and smuggling/courier work.

You can do all that with invisibility, if you're creative and patient enough.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

You can do it without invisibility, if you're careful.

Take flying.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Somfin posted:

You can do it without invisibility, if you're careful.

Take flying.

There are places in society you can't get into with flying. Invisibility there are no barriers, no secrets, no laws that can hold you back from seeing and doing anything you want. Flying you have to loving land and sleep at some point.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Are we talking full-spectrum invisibility or would you still be picked up by a Tesla's non-existent radar?

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

eXXon posted:

Are we talking full-spectrum invisibility or would you still be picked up by a Tesla's non-existent radar?

I mean, I wouldn't consider it useful if it wasn't full-spectrum.

And no, cold-weakness is just as much a problem for flight as invisibility.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Owling Howl posted:

We know this because the intern at the California DMV assigned to redacting the documents changed the font color to white.

That’s a rock-solid :lol:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

eXXon posted:

I'm going to take a wild guess that over the last 19 years, more people on the ground have been killed by windows falling from buildings than by planes, helicopters or drones.

yes, largely because we don't allow randoms to fly helicopters over the city

if flying cars existed you'd see cars dropping on buildings left and right

Owling Howl posted:

this happens a shocking amount of the time

even if it's black bars, sometimes they didn't remove the text underneath and you can use the same c/p trick to get the underlying text. always worth trying on a redacted document you would like to read.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 7, 2021

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

But you can somehow still see, I assume. (Yeah, I know, nitpicking)

While you could easily nitpick it to death with physics and conditions (yes you'd get old quickly), having the ability to stop time is the best superpower to me. You can effectively teleport, be invisible, stop bullets, etc.

Edit: The tweet above is why I'm souring on Tesla moreso than I was before. Ten thousand dollars for what?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

note that tesla's then-general counsel was in that meeting. he then, like most of tesla's chief lawyers, realized that what he really wants to do is have a job literally anywhere else

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

gently caress that gotta go fast

Also chicks dig dudes that can fly, just ask Lois Lane

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

evilweasel posted:

a helicopter crashed into a building in manhattan a year or two ago - it was a minor miracle nobody died on the ground

I think it was in this thread a few weeks ago that someone posted the 1950s/1960s video spruiking a helicopter taxi service between New York City and the airport? Operated from the former Pan Am building until an accident.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

And no, cold-weakness is just as much a problem for flight as invisibility.

There's a lot more technicalities involved in how we imagine invisibility to actually be. I'd be more interested in clothing that bends light, rather than my physical body being 100% transparent. At least you can take your clothes off. You might not be able to turn off invisibility and you might not have your clothes turn with you.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
this thread needs a re rail, so has any new techbro tried to show those drat optic science nerds that they dont know what theyre talkin about and tried break basic optic laws in making a invis cloak?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

this thread needs a re rail, so has any new techbro tried to show those drat optic science nerds that they dont know what theyre talkin about and tried break basic optic laws in making a invis cloak?

Current tech is only able to mostly hide a pen-sized object from the microwave spectrum only:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamaterial_cloaking

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Mister Facetious posted:

Current tech is only able to mostly hide a pen-sized object from the microwave spectrum only:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamaterial_cloaking

Huh, so that’s why all my pens keep disappearing, also I can only see microwaves

aware of dog fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 8, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I may have spoke too soon; a company has made a material you can hide behind, but is not itself invisible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZMyWEWHCTM

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

xarph posted:

But you see the pilot is an independent contractor and uberflights isn't liable for something something words 6-3 decision

The FAA or relevant aviation authorities would absolutely have your rear end for doing this.

I hold a commercial pilot license. If I were to say to a buddy "hey I'm flying to Vancouver next week" and he says "cool, can I come if I pay for some gas?" there are specific regulations about how much fuel he can reimburse me for. If he says "oh, hey, I need to go to Kelowna, can you land and drop me off along the way?" I cannot take any money because now his presence is not incidental to the flight.

If you want to make money, or even just lose less money, flying, you pretty much have to do it under commercial regulations. You could, of course, start a company that follows all of those regulations with whatever sort of aircraft can be legally used for those purposes and, guess what: those already exist! They are just really, really heinously expensive because there's no way around it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

I may have spoke too soon; a company has made a material you can hide behind, but is not itself invisible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZMyWEWHCTM

Honestly, I was expecting this to be an ad for regular curtains. Or maybe VantaBlack, wifi-capable curtains.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

A text from my friend last night shortly after he got into an Uber…

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I do that with tech nerds regardless of what car they're in

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Imagine voluntarily getting into a Tesla.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PT6A posted:

The FAA or relevant aviation authorities would absolutely have your rear end for doing this.

I hold a commercial pilot license. If I were to say to a buddy "hey I'm flying to Vancouver next week" and he says "cool, can I come if I pay for some gas?" there are specific regulations about how much fuel he can reimburse me for. If he says "oh, hey, I need to go to Kelowna, can you land and drop me off along the way?" I cannot take any money because now his presence is not incidental to the flight.

If you want to make money, or even just lose less money, flying, you pretty much have to do it under commercial regulations. You could, of course, start a company that follows all of those regulations with whatever sort of aircraft can be legally used for those purposes and, guess what: those already exist! They are just really, really heinously expensive because there's no way around it.

Counter point: Uber et al have had "ignore all regulation" as their business model and it seems like it's worked well enough for them so far because Something Something Job Creators Regulations Something Bureaucratic Red Tape Something.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The regulations that Uber flouts are piddly-rear end local taxi laws and labor laws that most of the business world would love to get rid of anyway. The FAA is a different animal.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

porkinson posted:

That is loving soul crushing. Hopefully 12 months of free credit monitoring will fix the issue.

In some thread or another here, someone suggested that data collections like those need to be treated as Attractive Nuisances, and I keep thinking that's a really good idea.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Agents are GO! posted:

In some thread or another here, someone suggested that data collections like those need to be treated as Attractive Nuisances, and I keep thinking that's a really good idea.

Absolutely agreed.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Volmarias posted:

Counter point: Uber et al have had "ignore all regulation" as their business model and it seems like it's worked well enough for them so far because Something Something Job Creators Regulations Something Bureaucratic Red Tape Something.

Absolutely they are used to doing that, but it's much, much easier to do that when you're dodging city hall's idiosyncrasies rather than the FAA, who will gently caress you hard and really enjoy doing it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

PT6A posted:

Absolutely they are used to doing that, but it's much, much easier to do that when you're dodging city hall's idiosyncrasies rather than the FAA, who will gently caress you hard and really enjoy doing it.

Not to mention the fact that you then have the NTSB who will spend years carefully and specifically investigating and documenting how many different ways you hosed up in a very public manner when something goes wrong.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

withak posted:

The regulations that Uber flouts are piddly-rear end local taxi laws and labor laws that most of the business world would love to get rid of anyway. The FAA is a different animal.

That's like what people said about the FBI, but then those white terrorists from the bird refuge all got off.

Uber just says that they are a tech company, and bam, none of the regulations work anymore.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Volmarias posted:

We don't really need to speculate. Flytenow and Airpooler were companies that tried doing this in the mid 2010's. They made sites where general aviation pilots could post a route, then have people pay an amount within the FAA cost-sharing limits for noncommercial flights. FAA's opinion was that even though the pilots were not profiting, it was still offering common carriage, not general aviation. Companies sued, courts upheld the FAA, Supreme Court declined to hear it, companies folded.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Foxfire_ posted:

We don't really need to speculate. Flytenow and Airpooler were companies that tried doing this in the mid 2010's. They made sites where general aviation pilots could post a route, then have people pay an amount within the FAA cost-sharing limits for noncommercial flights. FAA's opinion was that even though the pilots were not profiting, it was still offering common carriage, not general aviation. Companies sued, courts upheld the FAA, Supreme Court declined to hear it, companies folded.

And remember, the FAA is used to defense-contractor-level payoffs to look the other way on dodgy poo poo, and even then it doesn't always work. Some Silicon Valley fucks aren't going to be able to do poo poo.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

PT6A posted:

And remember, the FAA is used to defense-contractor-level payoffs to look the other way on dodgy poo poo, and even then it doesn't always work. Some Silicon Valley fucks aren't going to be able to do poo poo.

do you think silicon valley in 2021 has less power than defense contractors? generally curious

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Aren't they all the same thing by now? Merged into palantir?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

uggy posted:

do you think silicon valley in 2021 has less power than defense contractors? generally curious

It really depends on what you mean. In terms of ability to completely undermine a governmental agency like the FAA, yes, I believe Boeing did a thing that not even Facebook or Amazon could manage. I don't think they could have as much influence over any individual politician or official, though.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

FAA vs defense contractor isn't really a thing (FAA only regulates civil, not military).

FAA vs Boeing/Airbus is more about knowing how to phrase things/play games. Like I don't think Boeing is any more capable of getting FAA to just directly reverse an opinion, but they're capable of producing a bunch of reqs/risks/tests in support of something they want to do. The answer/changes aren't necessarily super rigorous to some FAA questions/objections, but get waved through since there's a lot of words and there's a lot of political pressure to not block a multi billion dollar development/manufacturing effort.

The Uber version where you just ignore regulations and dare people to sue you won't fly (:dadjoke:). The aerospace approach is producing a stack of paper with weasel arguments that the thing you want to do meets the regulation and challenge someone to point out that it's kinda bullshit.

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 10, 2021

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Foxfire_ posted:

FAA vs defense contractor isn't really a thing (FAA only regulates civil, not military).

Right, I'm just saying that the 737MAX situation works out a lot differently if Boeing weren't also a defense contractor. They, uh, do rather more than just build airliners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

uggy posted:

a defense contractor has a near-infinitely greater amount of leverage than a rando startup. it’s not everyone in Silicon Valley, it’s some guys who haven’t made it big yet.