Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Just equip the light bowgun you've had in your box since the beginning of the game and shoot them with your unlimited normal 1 ammo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

lets hang out posted:

Just equip the light bowgun you've had in your box since the beginning of the game and shoot them with your unlimited normal 1 ammo

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

100YrsofAttitude posted:

How does one engage aerial small monsters?

Don't forget that you always have an unlimited spammable ranged attack with your kunai.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Aranan posted:

Don't forget that you always have an unlimited spammable ranged attack with your kunai.

Also be aware that you can aim all items, kunai included, by holding ZL.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

they shoulda brought a status gun

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Aranan posted:

Right! ok, I had no idea what those were for. Cool thanks.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Use the kunai to explode bombs from a distance too.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ok this is starting to irritate me. Do we have the best method for getting Lazurite Jewels? I need them for literally everything lately and at best I'm getting like... one of them from killing Apex Arzuros. I thought you'd also be able to get them from the 7*+ Rampages, and I'd prefer to do those because they give better prizes overall, but so far I have yet to get a Lazurite Jewel from these.

Help me out. I need so many of these things and getting all of one for 10 minutes of beating a giant angry bear is just not doing it for me.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Silver Falcon posted:

Ok this is starting to irritate me. Do we have the best method for getting Lazurite Jewels? I need them for literally everything lately and at best I'm getting like... one of them from killing Apex Arzuros. I thought you'd also be able to get them from the 7*+ Rampages, and I'd prefer to do those because they give better prizes overall, but so far I have yet to get a Lazurite Jewel from these.

Help me out. I need so many of these things and getting all of one for 10 minutes of beating a giant angry bear is just not doing it for me.

They are pretty rare from Rampages, I got plenty getting my 10 kills on each of the 2.0 monsters. The answer to most monster hunter problems is just play it drops. Stop worrying and enjoy the fight.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Silver Falcon posted:

You’re already doing it. Apex hunts are where they drop but you can go from 0-1 per hunts to sometimes getting 7 (max I’ve gotten).

Keep killing poo poo, basically.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Silver Falcon posted:

I got 2 from a Kushala hunt last night. Gotta do a few mor so hopefully that trend continues because I need so many

Also I got an Atk 3 2-slot charm last night, so I’m pretty good forever.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

pixaal posted:

They are pretty rare from Rampages, I got plenty getting my 10 kills on each of the 2.0 monsters. The answer to most monster hunter problems is just play it drops. Stop worrying and enjoy the fight.

Right yeah, but for the Lazurite Jewels in particular you can only get them from killing certain things, and I need so many.

I enjoy killing poo poo but I prefer to kill poo poo and also know that I'm making progress on a goal. Apexes and Elder Dragons though, yes, I can kill those. Still better than base World's endgame where you were just smashing Tempered Elder Dragons over and over and OVER.

And on the plus side, I have a dragon hoard of extra mats and my Melding Pot is overflowing.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Personally I’ve had less luck with the elder dragons when it comes to getting lazarites. Apex monsters are great though. I had a kill today where I got 7 or 8 altogether.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I was usually getting 3-5 fighting apex rathian. Got my kill time down to 5 minutes using bow

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So how do outfit vouchers drop? I thought they were guaranteed to drop after quests, but haven't gotten one in a bit. Just unlucky?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Apex is where the lazerites are at. Rathian in particular folds to some bowgun setups (I was using Magnamalo lbg with sticky3/slice/spread3) in a fairly fast time without being too dangerous.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Star posted:

Personally I’ve had less luck with the elder dragons when it comes to getting lazarites. Apex monsters are great though. I had a kill today where I got 7 or 8 altogether.

poo poo, really? So I've just been getting unlucky. Good to know! I'll go beat up some more bears today. Maybe some Rathian too.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I've been really unlucky with apex arzuros (like 0-2 lazurite per run unlucky with most of them being 0) but apex rathian will usually give at least 2. Plus she has better hit zones and usually spawns close to the subcamp

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I really gotta make new weapon types but I just keep making bowguns

Same. I think I've built seven Rare 6 LBGs so far. I'm really liking the Goss Harag (boss hog) gun. Shrapnel and Spread 3 ammo are nuts.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
My palico manages to put the monster to sleep almost every hunt, and I think I've had one single hunt where everyone actually stopped attacking, placed bombs, and did a proper wake-up. Every other hunt where the monster sleeps, either from status or from limping away to their nest, no one stops attacking, or someone just runs up and smacks the monster awake with some piddly attack.

In World and IB on PC, it was rare to have folks not do a proper wake-up--everyone seemed to pay attention enough to stop for a couple seconds and assess the situation. Was this just because the game had been around a long enough time vs. Rise still being fairly new, or has sleep-bombing etiquette just gone out the window completely for some other reason?

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

My palico manages to put the monster to sleep almost every hunt, and I think I've had one single hunt where everyone actually stopped attacking, placed bombs, and did a proper wake-up. Every other hunt where the monster sleeps, either from status or from limping away to their nest, no one stops attacking, or someone just runs up and smacks the monster awake with some piddly attack.

In World and IB on PC, it was rare to have folks not do a proper wake-up--everyone seemed to pay attention enough to stop for a couple seconds and assess the situation. Was this just because the game had been around a long enough time vs. Rise still being fairly new, or has sleep-bombing etiquette just gone out the window completely for some other reason?

I agree people seemed a lot more aware in World.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

my theory is people playing handheld with the sound off so you don't notice the music stopping

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You can just pick up any bowgun that loads Poison 1 and it will basically instakill bugs. This way you get a guaranteed corpse too

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Ever notice how the hunt info and some conversations tries to make it clear that Magnamalo is apparently one of a kind? Like everywhere is it's "Hunt a Zigore" or "Hunt an Apex Rathian", but it's always "Hunt Magnamalo", even in multi-monster hunts or Arenas involving him.
So what I wanna know is, how does he keep coming back after I stab it's guts to try and dig out a glowy orb in vain.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Magnamalo's human nose and facial build imply that they once walked as a man. When you triple-cart in a hunt your soul lifts out of your body and becomes the next one-of-a-kind Magnamalo, and only by perpetuating this endless cycle may you be freed.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Tyger Tyger, burning bright,
In the forests of the night;
What immortal hand or eye,
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

Magnamalo is a ghost that is also a tiger made of explosions, and the devs really like him and want you to like him too.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 8, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Some of the stuff said about Magnamalo makes it sound like some sort of grudge based entity.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

PoptartsNinja posted:

Magnamalo is a ghost that is also a tiger made of explosions, and the devs really like him and want you to like him too.

I mean, I find his fight pretty fun and his gear looks cool in that "so dumb and edgy it goes all the way around" kind of way

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Magnamalo is the anger of hunters being denied critical materials by the RNG made manifest.
(It's a bit of a pushover because of how futile that anger is.)

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I mean, I find his fight pretty fun and his gear looks cool in that "so dumb and edgy it goes all the way around" kind of way

I want the magnamalo amiibo layered armor for maximum edginess, but those things don't exist.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
If Duramboros is Hammer, Qurupeco is Hunting Horn, Glavenus is Greatsword, Acidic Glavenus is Longsword, Goss Harag is sword and shield Dual Blades, and Velkhana is Lance, then Magnamalo is Gunlance. :colbert:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I heard a rumor that everytime you trip your teammates a new Magnamalo is born.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Electric Phantasm posted:

We must therefore destroy the LS scourge

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I've been playing LS and LBG exclusively this past week and have probably had some of the best hunts yet. It goes to show that crime pays

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I tried making the tigrex hammer work since it got an upgrade in 2.0 but even with the large increase in raw, the 55 percent differential in affinity (and loss of a 2 slot) compared to the narga hammer is just too large to overcome

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

chumbler posted:

I want the magnamalo amiibo layered armor for maximum edginess, but those things don't exist.

You can make your own Amiibos with a blank NFC 215 tag and your phone, or you can look one up on Etsy. Unless you really want the Amiibo itself too.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I tried making the tigrex hammer work since it got an upgrade in 2.0 but even with the large increase in raw, the 55 percent differential in affinity (and loss of a 2 slot) compared to the narga hammer is just too large to overcome
That shouldn't be the case, since it's the current meta hammer and, mathematically, should do much more damage than the narga hammer. I made a meta build that's basically 5 AB, 3 WEx, 3 CB, 7 Critical Eye and it does a lot more damage than my previous narga build.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

what happens every time a hammer user launches someone?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

There's a couple quests in GU involving Tigrex that reference that poem, and because of that I will always think of Tigrex is Tie-grex, pronounced like tiger, and not Tee-grex which seems to be the "official" way to pronounce it.

This is the hill I will die on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

In the calculator I am using the values given on Status, so they include the weaponcharm/talon and all the skills already. Affinity is base affinity + WEx. Damage for the tigrex hammer is just higher, by a lot.

EDIT: I think the above doesn't take into consideration CB. Even with CB, the damage for Narga is 420.7896, while the one for Tigrex is 432.5476. Even if you manage to get 100% affinity for Narga (which gives it 426 damage), the Tigrex hammer should still edge it out.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 8, 2021