Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

indigi posted:

I honestly don’t think this is true, I think they just suck poo poo and none of them have read any PKD or Butler or Stross or Lem or even Vonnegut beyond maybe Slaughterhouse V. like their familiarity with the type of sci fi they’re attempting to make is nonexistent

nah the whole "security chief's a secret cylon!" reveal at the end of second season came in as a script revision the very morning they were shooting that scene

someone in one of the old Westworld threads claimed to have worked on multiple ~*prestige shows*~ where it was not uncommon to be getting script pages mid-production

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TOOT BOOT posted:

Unfortunately it looks like the Game of Thrones showrunners saw that talk

the GOT boys were so bad at their jobs that they had to go back and write additional scenes because they came in under the contractual minimum

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

infernal machines posted:

and rian johnson, on discovering there was no planned overarching story, decided he'd roof the frisbee and end a billion dollar trilogy in the second film

that takes some gumption

thats why tlj was good

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

the GOT boys were so bad at their jobs that they had to go back and write additional scenes because they came in under the contractual minimum

This makes a lot of sense considering they're failkids of studio execs.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

fart simpson posted:

thats why tlj was good

it was certainly daring.

you might say he subverted your expectations

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

it was certainly daring.

you might say he subverted your expectations

it's not a good movie on its own merits, sure. but in context its the best of the new stars war

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
definitely, yes.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

AnimeIsTrash posted:

This makes a lot of sense considering they're failkids of studio execs.

one of them has a rich daddy at goldman sachs

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

nah the whole "security chief's a secret cylon!" reveal at the end of second season came in as a script revision the very morning they were shooting that scene

someone in one of the old Westworld threads claimed to have worked on multiple ~*prestige shows*~ where it was not uncommon to be getting script pages mid-production

yeah last minute revisions seems to be more in line with “they were trying hard they just had no clue what they were doing” theory

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
westworld sucked rear end

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

dont forget gimli son of gloin and gloin father of gimli son of gloin.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/thenatewolf/status/767525234991730688

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shaggar posted:

westworld sucked rear end

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i don't know what westworld is, i'm going to assume it is a spinoff of west wing

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

dioxazine posted:

i don't know what westworld is, i'm going to assume it is a spinoff of west wing

west world is what happens when you put d tier writers in control of an a tier budget. it’s completely brain dead

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It feels like Westworld is what happens when you get a job based on being Christopher Nolan's brother, everyone expects you to blow their minds because you're his brother, so you end up with extremely overwrriten garbage

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

dioxazine posted:

it's a scifi flick from the 70s starring yul brynner as a robot cowboy

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

TOOT BOOT posted:

It feels like Westworld is what happens when you get a job based on being Christopher Nolan's brother, everyone expects you to blow their minds because you're his brother, so you end up with extremely overwrriten garbage
I don't remember his name so I'm just gonna make one up, but yeah, Donkus Nolan writes or cowrites all of his brother's films

Unrelated, but there's just something *unsettling* about Christopher Nolan and honestly I picture Honkus being like the "Have you dreamed about this man?" dude

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

its not exactly much of a movie either, but its fun in a very corny way. all subsequent properties are abominations, including the original show with the several minute opening that was cancelled before it finished a season due to performance

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
yeah ok but Evan Rachel Wood and Thandie Newton are hot

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

indigi posted:

Thandie Newton are hot

i'm a big fan of her playing lady macbeth in chronicles of riddick

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

indigi posted:

yeah ok but Evan Rachel Wood and Thandie Newton are hot
Thandiwe.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i couldn't get over mcpoyle in westworld

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

and rian johnson, on discovering there was no planned overarching story, decided he'd roof the frisbee and end a billion dollar trilogy in the second film

that takes some gumption

The Last Jedi needed another year in production. There are some really good decisions and there are some good ideas with faulty execution and there are some parts which are stupid and should have been cut/replaced/reworked. I think Johnson knows he could have done much better with more time to prepare and rewrite. It was, overall, such a huge mistake to produce these movies on a two-year cycle instead of a three-year cycle.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
we watched the s2 finale of legion and that first act is some wild cringe. behind blue eyes lol

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

westworld looks really good and that’s really all i ask of it anymore

every scene a 70s sci fi paperback cover with a 100m production budget

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

PCjr sidecar posted:

westworld looks really good and that’s really all i ask of it anymore

every scene a 70s sci fi paperback cover with a 100m production budget

and every script was found in the dumpster

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

PokeJoe posted:

i couldn't get over mcpoyle in westworld

yeah that was actually pretty weird

he was the young ed harris before he became a robot man but aged up

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

monorail?

mystes
May 31, 2006

moonorail

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

moon 02?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

mono means one

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lest we forget

Whoa where’d you get the leaked shot of Panos announcing the Surface Pro Desktop.

tk fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 9, 2021

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

this looks v 1970s

mystes
May 31, 2006

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

this looks v 1970s
It says 2021 right there in the picture :colbert:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

fart simpson posted:

thats why tlj was good

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Doom Mathematic posted:

The Last Jedi needed another year in production. There are some really good decisions and there are some good ideas with faulty execution and there are some parts which are stupid and should have been cut/replaced/reworked. I think Johnson knows he could have done much better with more time to prepare and rewrite. It was, overall, such a huge mistake to produce these movies on a two-year cycle instead of a three-year cycle.
agreed

it was like they filmed the first draft of the script

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i thought the first season of westworld was pretty good. each season got dumber and dumber, though, and that kind of tainted the first season because they leaned so hard into the worst parts about it

they should've just told basically the same "becoming sentient and escaping" story in different ways in the different parks with the conceit that it was all happening simultaneously (and without the promised land poo poo). if they couldn't do that and make it interesting, then welp it should've been one season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

watched jonny mnemonic last night. the 90s techno-schlock was fun and it's just generally refreshing to watch a sci fi action movie with human actors and physical sets. can't pretend I really enjoyed it on its merits, though