Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

More buyers than sellers, OP

In my region, people are buying either in cash, or way above the asking price.

Also it seems the condition of the house does not matter. My friend was bidding on a house and the price went over by 30% asking, the house needed a new roof and it had termites. It's loving wild out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
land is the bit that appreciates

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

land is the bit that appreciates

San Francisco will be under water in 50 years. Only Aquaman and Aquawomen will be able to inhabit the area.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

obi_ant posted:

San Francisco will be under water in 50 years. Only Aquaman and Aquawomen will be able to inhabit the area.

If the richest country in the world lets one of it's richest cities vanish into the ocean then I think you have bigger problems than the price of housing.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

obi_ant posted:

sf is on a giant slab of rock risen above the sea. except for like a few acres and a fair bit of the bay itll be fine

its miami thats hosed

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah a few blocks of downtown (that were mudflats 170 years ago) will get flooded, the rest will be fine.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

asur posted:

If the richest country in the world lets one of it's richest cities vanish into the ocean then I think you have bigger problems than the price of housing.

I mean to a degree there isn’t much to be done if no attempts are made to deal with a problem as a whole.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

asur posted:

We will not be able to salvage Miami, or at least South Beach. I have actually resigned to the fact that 50 years from now we may lose big parts of that city.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Remember when they were planning to fill in San Francisco bay and a cause untold environmental damage? Just do the opposite of that and give the city back to the bay.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bird in a Blender posted:

We will not be able to salvage Miami, or at least South Beach. I have actually resigned to the fact that 50 years from now we may lose big parts of that city.

Though they are kind of living in denial. Their solution was to instal a bunch of water pumps. Which works, if the water is only there temporarily.

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

sf is on a giant slab of rock risen above the sea. except for like a few acres and a fair bit of the bay itll be fine

It'll be fine until The Big One hits ...

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the thing thats killin sf is high land prices. if the big one hits the market will be liquid enough (literally, in the case of soil liquifaction) that this problem will actually go away

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

asur posted:

Only Republican presidents will be allowed in 2069

They will use federal firefighting aircraft to dump water in the Pacific Ocean

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

We will not be able to salvage Miami, or at least South Beach the entirety of Florida.

Low elevation, saltwater encroachment, rising seas, and increasing hurricane frequency and strength

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Alan Smithee posted:

Only Republican presidents will be allowed in 2069

They will use federal firefighting aircraft to dump water in the Pacific Ocean

drat elitist coastal libs. Who's going to pay for the water dumping? Let 'em fail I say.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

DarkHorse posted:

Low elevation, saltwater encroachment, rising seas, and increasing hurricane frequency and strength

yeah, nyc and sf have bedrock and la goes deep inland to a place where water is not gonna get in but miami is limestone underneath and they flood without rain like a sixth of the year nowadays

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

asur posted:

San Francisco NIMBYs will prevent so much as a single grain of sand from being distributed until the bay is lapping at their doorstep. Whereupon they will demand Something Be Done At Once, only to be thwarted by the rest of the NIMBYs that have even another foot of elevation.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I am Governor Jerry Brown
My city floods, everyone drowns
Soon I will be president...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

"A few acres" that happen to be the high rises in the financial district........

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Motronic posted:

"A few acres" that happen to be the high rises in the financial district........

im ok w those 50 story towers goin, cuz they arent apartments lol

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Motronic posted:

I’m willing to make this sacrifice.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

im ok w those 50 story towers goin, cuz they arent apartments lol

and w/ just a tad too much soul

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though they are kind of living in denial. Their solution was to instal a bunch of water pumps. Which works, if the water is only there temporarily.

This writer pretended to be buying a fancy place in Florida so she could ask real estate agents about climate change : https://popula.com/2019/04/02/heaven-or-high-water/

You can feel the crack-ping building inside of her

quote:

I asked how the flooding was.

“There are pump stations everywhere, and the roads were raised,” he said. “So that’s all been fixed.”

“Fixed,” I said. “Wow. Amazing.”

quote:

“I don’t know if I understand this,” I said. “The sidewalk is raised, but—where does the water go?”

“Into the drain,” she said. “Well. Except for one time. One time the store was flooded. But it’s fixed.”

“Great!” I said.

“Yeah, it’s fixed,” she said. She put her hand over her heart in an expression of extreme gratitude.

quote:

It’s amazing that people in these situations tell you what they think. I think bread actually takes twenty minutes to bake, she said, removing the doughy mass from the oven. I think I can drive a car after I’ve run out of gas, he said, as he rolled silently into the breakdown lane.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

Could crypto or stocks you have saved on Coinbase or Robinhood be garnished if your sued by a collector? Could they take investments? Could they take the money you have in your coin base account etc? The stocks and crypto you have saved?

Could crypto or stocks you have saved on Coinbase or Robinhood be garnished if your sued by a collector? Could they take investments? Could they take the money you have in your coin base account etc? The stocks and crypto you have saved?

quote:

Yes. I've looked into this a lot. Get a cold storage wallet and move your coins off of the exchange.

quote:

This is a trick that the banks have not yet caught on to yet. Once I get a higher credit limit I am going to make the move. You can probably only do it once, so make sure you're loans are as large as possible. Student loans, a vehicle loan, and personal loan all taken at once is probably your best bet. Good luck fellow freeman.

quote:

STUCK IN THE UK AND I WANNA GET A STUDENT LOAN AND PISS OFF BACK TO NZ. what's ur thoughts? and is there anything I need to know?

currently stuck in the uk due to covid and i need to get back, thoughts on getting a loan and pissing off?

quote:

Love this attitude, very inline with current gme excitement. Money really is completely imaginary, I sometimes forget. Party on

quote:

quote:

Doesnt Scotland have free uni?

Yea but I need the Nz life back

quote:

Question about co-signers -

Question for the pros here - I’m in default on my private loans (Navient and American Education Services). There’s ONE loan out of many with a co-signer who’s going nuts on me. I’ve hired a student loan settlement attorney and I’m in for the long haul. I even paid extra to have this co-signer covered so they wouldn’t be bombarded with calls and emails. But now it’s tanking her credit and she’s very angry. (Obviously) Long long ago, she did sign on the dotted line. There’s no legal action the co-signer can take against me, is this correct?

quote:

quote:

Co-signer is SOL. That's why everyone will constantly tell you never to co-sign on a loan for someone unless you're 100% ok with making payments yourself to protect your credit should it come down to it. She essentially said "If todayisanewday15 fails to pay this loan, I agree to be responsible for it."

Now I can't speak as to whether you'll continue to have a good relationship with her. Best of luck to you though!

Thank you. And relationship is already the toilet.

quote:

quote:

If she already hates you and the relationship is dead, then wouldn't it make more sense to not pay the extra to lawyer to cover them and use it yourself to pay off loans or just live life?

Thank you. Good point. I will talk to the lawyer about it soon. I think she’s still in the going nuts on me phase. Threatened to hire a PI to investigate my assets.

quote:

How hard would it really be to get Elon Musk on board?

Okay, I know he's annoying as hell, and as the richest man in the world, he's obviously super evil and exploits so many workers and union busts and deserves the guillotine and all that. I get that.
But if he was capable of making DOGE, GME surge by tweeting single words, like... Imagine the impact if someone were to get him on board with just straight up tweeting "Default on your student loans" or something. How can it become some kind of meme for Mr. Elongated Muskrat to tweet about it? What effect do you think it would have?

quote:

Seems like a chill guy. Just Tweet him. You never know if you don't try.

quote:

The one thing that has stopped this in the past has been the lack of coordination. If we can get all debtors to be aware to check Elon's twitter at a specific time and follow through because it has been "Memeified" then we will succeed.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

paternity suitor posted:

This writer pretended to be buying a fancy place in Florida so she could ask real estate agents about climate change : https://popula.com/2019/04/02/heaven-or-high-water/

You can feel the crack-ping building inside of her

I feel like those real estate agents are the epitome of the quote, "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." That or they all know it's completely hosed, but also know they need to lie about it if they're going to sell any of these properties.

The BWM portion is going to be on the US or the state of Florida when we decide to spend billions if not trillions of dollars trying to raise these cities instead of doing what's really needed and razing them.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

I feel like those real estate agents are the epitome of the quote, "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." That or they all know it's completely hosed, but also know they need to lie about it if they're going to sell any of these properties.

The BWM portion is going to be on the US or the state of Florida when we decide to spend billions if not trillions of dollars trying to raise these cities instead of doing what's really needed and razing them.

I was thinking about buying a home, save wanted some expert advice from someone not trying to sell me something, so I asked a friend who is a commercial mortgage underwriter in a different state. This person has zero economic interest in me purchasing a house, and yet enthusiastically told me I should totally do it, it's never a bad time to buy, prices are only ever going to go up, etc. It's a loving cargo cult.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

This is why the ultimate GWM move is to buy property in the boonies and get a job that allows telework or remote working.

Or move to a place like Salt Lake City, the Twin Cities, Kansas City, Wilmington, Des Moines, or Omaha that has a city infrastructure but dirt cheap property 30 minutes out of downtown.

Backup plan is to become a feral human.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
I bought my house in a Milwaukee suburb for $170k in 2016, a house down the street just sold for $308k. Home ownership owns.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is why the ultimate GWM move is to buy property in the boonies and get a job that allows telework or remote working.

Or move to a place like Salt Lake City, the Twin Cities, Kansas City, Wilmington, Des Moines, or Omaha that has a city infrastructure but dirt cheap property 30 minutes out of downtown.

This would be very GWM for me, because inside of six months, the only living expenses I'd ever need to worry about would be a single bullet.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

see my nyc lan thread post

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Everyone I know is moving out of the tri-state area, and keeps asking why I'm not leaving to buy 5 acres in PA and escape NJ taxes. Well, let me explain:

1) I've lived in Rural Appalachia before. it sucks.
2) who in their right mind wants to maintain 5 acres of land? I used to take care of 2 acres, and 4 hours of every weekend was spent mowing. Oh just hire someone. kk, so now I'm at budget +$250/month to pay someone to take care of it
3) Not a good slice of pizza with in 100 miles. No good restaurants (oh boy, lets go to Ruby Tuesdays)
4) oh, you need something from the grocery store? ok it's a 30min drive to the nearest WALMART, let me get some low quality garbage. so that means I use a tank of gas a week just to buy groceries. So my budget is now +$150 for gas
5) I hope your kids like the poor underfunded schools that are basically just fall to spring football camps.
6) classmates raised by full on racist parents
7) what happens when covid is over, and my company decides that they want us back in the office, or I want a different job and whoops I live no where?
8) hopeful you don't get some neighbor that let their four children drive dirt bikes around their backyard 24/7 so all you hear all day is RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
9) oh man lets take junior and fido for a hike in the woods in our backyard, it'll be nice. Whoops, our neighbor deer hunting out of season has shot our dog (or god forbid the kid). Yes, that's happened. I can name at least 5 or 6 of my friends that have had their dogs shot, a couple that had kids shot, by hunters. And it was out of season, and they were wearing orange.
10) CRYSTAAAAAAAL METHHHHHHHHHHH - my parents have had numerous homes in their small rural down EXPLODE from meth labs
11) well water whoops, I hope you like your whites to look like you wash them in rusty water yum yum smell that sulfure
12) no no fracking is fine and is completely harmonious with nature

oh but you don't understand property taxes in NJ are so high i harf harf harf

Edit the post was about vermont. NVM. Vermont is good.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

My wife and I are student loan defaulters who said "ain't gonna ever pay!" and now living life on the run. AMA!

Wife owes $80,000+ and rapidly growing in private student loans. After years of struggling to make minimum monthly payments of $900+, we finally came to the decision to say "No way Sallie Mae, you are never going to get another cent!".

Since then she has been in default and we've been livin' on the run for the past year. The goal is to wait for the Statute of Limitations (SOL) to run out whereby Sallie Mae and its collection agencies can no longer collect. This is called a strategic default. Many people have successfully reached the SOL: the private lender can't do anything further to collect. Also, many people after being in default for a long time have been able to settle for their debt for a HUGE reduction. Also it makes adversarial proceedings much easier (this is where the debtor declares bankruptcy under undue hardship) because the debt grows so large it actually becomes impossible to pay off. Basically strategic defaults can give people much greater options than they ever had before. If worse comes to worse, she has family in a third would country where we'd both easily be able to live and work. There we're guaranteed to be 100% untouchable by the private loan sharks.

Edit 1: Her degree is in a STEM field. Unfortunately, she can't easily secure a job in the field without a masters degree. She failed the GRE several times and has been denied entry in multiple graduate programs.

quote:

quote:

Actually, if the student loan idiots ever get a judgment against you and your wife, the resulting judgment may be good for as long as 20 years thereafter.

True. But here is the thing:

- They have to find her
- They have to find where she works (but she is not working)
- They'd actually have to sue and win. But due to how large the debt is, it may be dischargeable under adversarial proceedings
- We both are bilingual and will have absolutely no problem finding work in third world countries where, quite literally, we'll be 100% untouchable by these loan companies

quote:

quote:

What does "living life on the run entail"?

Frequent phone changes, no social media, being very careful how utilities are setup, and of course frequent moves.

quote:

quote:

I must have missed that Jason Bourne movie where he was hiding from debt collectors. It almost seems like your spending more effort NOT paying your bills.

We pay all of our bills. Just not the student loans which have not benefited her one bit.

quote:

Our goal is that it wreaks the whole system until it changes for the better.

quote:

quote:

Moving is expensive u may just have shifted where ur money is going. Even if they have not been successful in contacting u, they can and likely have reported this to the credit bureaus, and hope u never intend on trying to finance something else particularly a house. It will be many years before this is off her credit report and is/will destroy her credit.

Were saving nine hundred bucks a month now and can probably buy things without using credit. A lot of the time people only need the credit because the debt service payments deplete their cash reserves.

quote:

quote:

Your credit score is important for much more than getting small loans. You need it if you ever want to buy a house with a mortgage, when you rent an apartment they check your credit, when you apply for a job they will often run a credit check, if you want a credit card (which can save you 1+% on all your purchaces) you need your credit score.

We have millions of immigrants in this country who don't use credit. And contrary to what the average white suburbanite thinks, they're not all sleeping five to a room in a rat infested dump. Easy consumer credit is a type of societal ill you don't find in most cultures. There is an alternate lifestyle for people who save their money.

I don't want someone to give me a high paying job. I am making one for myself.

quote:

quote:

I work alongside many chemical engineers with BS degrees only. The jobs are out there.

Don't be a dumbass

Presidency jobs are out there rear end well

quote:

She majored in a STEM field but needs a masters degree to really have any shot of getting a job. The debt blossomed for a degree that is worthless and doesn't get her a job. STEM isn't what it used to be. It's not 2005 anymore.

quote:

For the last 10 years or so in particular, students have been HAMMERED to study STEM or CS. I say another decade or less and really there won't be much of a difference (for the vast majority of people) between an English degree and the CS degree with regards to earning potential.

quote:

There is, in fact, a statute of limitations on PRIVATE student loan debt.

There is no limitation on judgments though. If they get a default judgment against you, then they can collect on it 20 years from now if they want. Unless you plan to never own any assets, this sounds like a very poorly thought out plan.

quote:

But there are states where collecting money through wage garnishment is NOT POSSIBLE for private lenders. They don't go through the time and expenses to get a default judgement for a ghost who, quite literally, can't be found. And if for some unforeseen reason she is located, she has one final trick up her sleeve: relocation back to her home country where it is impossible for the loan sharks to go after her.

quote:

quote:

Also, then came to the realization that even if they were to agree to do this it would be impossible to pay off. One would be making $300+ month payments and never touch the principle.

So Wait.....You got an offer to make only $300/month payments, which are totally reasonable, and then you could pay the principal off after she gets the job she always wanted, and YOU DIDN'T loving TAKE IT!!

quote:

quote:

Are you living afraid every day?!

Not "afraid" per se. It is more like an adventure game. It is actually pretty fun at times realizing how far we've come.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
nobody in rural areas takes care of 5 acres, once you get substantial land most of it just Is

1, 3-9 plus 11 all apply to VT. i guess there's occasionally a good restaurant but it's loving expensive and for flatlanders

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Jerk McJerkface posted:

see my nyc lan thread post
Rural Pennsylvania is the worst of both worlds. Rural Appal-ay-chia sucks. Rural Appal-at-chia is where it's at.

I'm glad my tastes are uncommon and not universal, or else the places I like to live would be considerably more expensive.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Jimong5 posted:

I bought my house in a Milwaukee suburb for $170k in 2016, a house down the street just sold for $308k. Home ownership owns.

Check your place's estimate on Redfin or Zillow. We talk about it in the house threads as being a garbage estimate but I'm curious if yours is in a good spot after 5 years. I'm expecting it's healthy.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I haven't been to all of those places, but it seems like it should be possible to find somewhere in Minneapolis, Des Moines, Omaha, Wilmington, Salt Lake City, etc. that has a good restaurant and simultaneously does not have roving bands of people trying to shoot your dog.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Jimong5 posted:

there's a bubble.. and where you gunna go kuz the house that was 200k in 2016 is now 350k.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My neighbors house just sold for 470k (was on the market for 6 months) can't wait to see what that does to my property taxes next year! Too bad I bought a house to live in and not treat as an investment vehicle I'm so stupid.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Source4Leko posted:

My neighbors house just sold for 470k (was on the market for 6 months) can't wait to see what that does to my property taxes next year! Too bad I bought a house to live in and not treat as an investment vehicle I'm so stupid.

Do you live in a state that re-appraises every year? My county hasn't reappraised in over 12 years.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Do you live in a state that re-appraises every year? My county hasn't reappraised in over 12 years.

That seems very BWM for your county.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Kenshin posted:

That seems very BWM for your county.

It is. But, nobody wants to do it because it will raise the rabble.

Reappraising every year and seeing an impact from a single home sale is pretty unusual, though.