Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Sounds like Jack Eichel could use a fresh start on a young team with stars and friends his age, the Detroit Red Wings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Not sure how an Eichel trade would help them. As bad as they are, Eichel is only 24. Surely they can build a competitive team around him in let's say 3-4 years. That leaves him at 28 and still very good and with a potentially playoff type team behind him. I know the Sabres are really bad and poorly run so that's probably not gonna happen but if you build a team around that assumption then you probably don't want the Sabres trading Eichel either since their bad and awful management would get grifted :v:.

And I just looked at their contracts on CapFriendly and good lord that Jeff Skinner deal

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

ThinkTank posted:

Sabres are gonna get like Kakko, Strome and two firsts back too lol

Retain 25% and im ok with that.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

Sounds like Jack Eichel could use a fresh start on a young team with stars and friends his age, the Detroit Red Wings

Send him far far away from Buffalo to say the west coast of Canada

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The Penguins probably won't go past the first round regardless of who they play, but it's impossible to ever know what's going to happen in any given Penguins game and I'll happily take all the entertainment I can get.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Not sure how an Eichel trade would help them. As bad as they are, Eichel is only 24. Surely they can build a competitive team around him in let's say 3-4 years. That leaves him at 28 and still very good and with a potentially playoff type team behind him.

Why would Eichel want to wait around another 3-4 years to maybe make the playoffs at the end of that. The guy wants to be up against McDavid in the cup finals.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

Send him far far away from Buffalo to say the west coast of Canada

Or just a little bit south of there, yeah.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Eichel's going to end up on the Bruins and I'm going to hate everything.

At this point the Sabres are best served trading him now when they can freely shop him to the highest bidder, rather than waiting until his NMC kicks in and he can pick his destination. It's a foregone conclusion that they're going to lose him and the only question is how much can they get back for him.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Trade Jack Eichel for Aaron Rodgers.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Eric the Mauve posted:

Eichel's going to end up on the Bruins and I'm going to hate everything.

At this point the Sabres are best served trading him now when they can freely shop him to the highest bidder, rather than waiting until his NMC kicks in and he can pick his destination. It's a foregone conclusion that they're going to lose him and the only question is how much can they get back for him.

Gotta figure Vegas will find a way to make a run at him

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Regardless of where he goes, let’s just all agree that Buffalo will screw it up

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Why would Eichel want to wait around another 3-4 years to maybe make the playoffs at the end of that. The guy wants to be up against McDavid in the cup finals.

What he wants is kinda irrelevant unless he is going to act so disgruntled that he demands a trade. If you're the Sabres you impress upon him your plan and hope for the best.

I mean sure float him in trade offers and see if someone is gonna offer something insane I guess but I don't see any move that's likely to be better than just keeping him and hoping they can build a playoff team before his contract is up.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Its gonna be sick when he gets traded to Ottawa.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Realistically though it doesn't make a piss in the ocean's difference what the Sabres do about anything as long as the Pegulas still own the team. As long as that is the case they will continue to monumentally gently caress up everything they do.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I want to punch Terry Pegula in the face so hard right now.

Edit: if they hired someone competent to run the team they’d be fine, but as long as Terry or Kim are running the show there is no way they can improve. gently caress this poo poo.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 10, 2021

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I don't care about hockey any more. The Flyers are trash and there are too many better teams with generational talents on them. Bad sport.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Its gonna be sick when he gets traded to Ottawa.

It'll definitely be somewhere completely bland and unmarketable so we get to see how ESPN tries to market it to its wholly disinterested American Sportscentre audience.

HOW EICHEL AND TROUT ARE PUTTING ANAHEIM ON THE MAP

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Realistically, other than the Rangers and the Kings, who else could be a player in trying to get Eichel, under the obvious three qualifications:

1. The team must be able to give Buffalo a really great offer involving top prospects and a 1st WITHOUT totally mortgaging their prospect pool, and

2. The team needs to be in the position where the deal would make sense for them - ie. a team which feels that it is one star player away from being serious contender or a team like the Kings and Rangers who feel they are one star player from going to the next level of their rebuilds and becoming playoff teams, and

3. The ability to afford Eichel.

Rangers would probably need to start with Kakko, Miller/Lunkqvist, and a 1st (while also needing to jettison Strome), and the Kings would probably need to start with Turcotte, Bjornfoot, and a 1st.

Only team I can think of is Minnesota. Minnesota fits all the criteria - they have a very good prospect pool, some hefty contracts expiring as UFA at the end of the season (they'll have about $20m in cap space to start the off-season with), they have 2 firsts in 2021 (Pittsburgh), they have no No. 1 center (or really a No. 2), and they seem poised to try to take the next step.

They'd probably need to offer something like Boldy/Addison/1st.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

What would be even cooler would be Eichel going with Skinner to like Seattle, and Buffalo getting a hot rear end garbage return cause Skinner went the other way.

And then the Pegulas make the Sabres a floor team.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
This doesn't sound like a guy who is staying on his team.

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1391796484144775185

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I want to punch Terry Pegula in the face so hard right now.

Edit: if they hired someone competent to run the team they’d be fine, but as long as Terry or Kim are running the show there is no way they can improve. gently caress this poo poo.

it's crazy how well the bills' org is run in comparison to the sabres, especially when terry has always seemed to prefer hockey. but i guess that might be part of the problem.

anyways, i took a hiatus from sports for a year because life has been incredibly busy and lovely due to covid, but im back in it now baby. rebuild #2 let's loving go

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Jack Eichel to Detroit for a 1st, 2nd, and Joe Veleno.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

There is essentially no trade you can make out of prospects and picks that provides anything close to a reasonable return for Jack Eichel.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

ThinkTank posted:

There is essentially no trade you can make out of prospects and picks that provides anything close to a reasonable return for Jack Eichel.

There isn't, but a trade is going to happen and the best I can think of is basically two A-level prospects, a 1st, and maybe another B-level prospect. If Eichel is more or less forcing a trade, Buffalo will have weak leverage, especially with teams needing them to cover some of the cost with the flat cap next year. Sabres are going to get hosed in any Eichel deal.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Anyone that's really motivated to can probably pull off an Eichel trade by roping in a facilitator third team if necessary. Only exceptions would be teams that have no valuable futures at all and are already capped out on expensive veterans with NMCs and thus have no realistic way to fit Eichel's salary. Which might only be one team (Penguins).

The Bruins are in rough shape capwise but they will be motivated to move heaven and earth to make an Eichel deal happen so they are probably the test case on this.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

whatis posted:

it's crazy how well the bills' org is run in comparison to the sabres, especially when terry has always seemed to prefer hockey. but i guess that might be part of the problem.

anyways, i took a hiatus from sports for a year because life has been incredibly busy and lovely due to covid, but im back in it now baby. rebuild #2 let's loving go

So you're saying they'll be trading for the oldest Hurricane with a favorable draft pick? A low second rounder for *checks roster* James Reimer it is!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

ThinkTank posted:

Edmonton has a guy who'd be worth their while.

It'd be amazing. Two franchises with generational talent that absolutely cannot loving win, again.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

fawning deference posted:

Only team I can think of is Minnesota. Minnesota fits all the criteria - they have a very good prospect pool, some hefty contracts expiring as UFA at the end of the season (they'll have about $20m in cap space to start the off-season with), they have 2 firsts in 2021 (Pittsburgh), they have no No. 1 center (or really a No. 2), and they seem poised to try to take the next step.

They'd probably need to offer something like Boldy/Addison/1st.

I didn't want to say this, but it's true. They have a lot of cap space to play with, but I'm not sure they could send anything to Buffalo that would remotely make up for it. The only thing that could help tip the scale is that the two teams seam to really like trading with each other. Buffalo sends a player that does better in Minnesota, and Minnesota sends players that do worse in Buffalo.

I still don't know that I can see them being able to pull it off. Eichel would fit into the system and progression really well, and they may actually start having scoring? It's really confusing and fun to watch.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Eichel is also signed for 5 more seasons. There are no recent comparable trades for a player of his talent level and length of contract.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

Comedy option: Chicago gets him and ships Patrick Kane to his hometown.

Toews fake retires by going to LTIR because of chronic fatigue, Keith is forced to retire because his brains are mud and the last of the cup winning dudes are gone for good.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Right, Eichel's 5/50 contract means the Sabres are going to have to take at least one established player back in an Eichel deal just to make the cap numbers work. They sure as poo poo aren't dumb enough to retain salary..... right??

e: no player with a NMC (which I assume without looking includes Kane) is ever going to accept a trade to Buffalo

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

th3t00t posted:

Eichel is also signed for 5 more seasons. There are no recent comparable trades for a player of his talent level and length of contract.

Erik Karlsson to San Jose is the closest in recent years, but even he didn't come with term.

You might have to go back as far as Thornton to San Jose when he was a young, playoff choker with the Bruins.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
i completely forgot we traded future conn smythe-winner ryan o'reilly to the blues for tage thompson, old and busted vladimir sobotka, the not-yet rapist patrik berglund (who quit the NHL like a month into his first season with the team), and a 1st round pick. we traded ryan o'reilly for saying he was sad that the team was losing and we got back a bunch of bullshit lmao

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Right, Eichel's 5/50 contract means the Sabres are going to have to take at least one established player back in an Eichel deal just to make the cap numbers work. They sure as poo poo aren't dumb enough to retain salary..... right??

e: no player with a NMC (which I assume without looking includes Kane) is ever going to accept a trade to Buffalo

Young guys on expiring contracts would be a good target. E.g. Pettersson out of Vancouver or Kaprizov out of Minnesota.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Jhet posted:

I didn't want to say this, but it's true. They have a lot of cap space to play with, but I'm not sure they could send anything to Buffalo that would remotely make up for it. The only thing that could help tip the scale is that the two teams seam to really like trading with each other. Buffalo sends a player that does better in Minnesota, and Minnesota sends players that do worse in Buffalo.

I still don't know that I can see them being able to pull it off. Eichel would fit into the system and progression really well, and they may actually start having scoring? It's really confusing and fun to watch.

Hmmm, they do need to re-sign Fiala, Kaprizov, and Eriksson-Ek, so maybe they don't have the space to pull it off unless they bury Parise and Dumba gets taken by Seattle.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Sabres don't have to take back salary to trade Eichel lol

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

th3t00t posted:

Hall and Subban on the same day!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Yeah I would not preclude destinations based on the going assumption of what a "good return" would be for Buffalo, but I am a student of history.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
they need to take Matt Tkachuk and a bunch of picks to truly make the deal work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Can someone lay out all the returns Buffalo has gotten for star players in the last while?