Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Hell yeah, your aunt Jackie owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

uber_stoat posted:

Tawny Kitaen just died. here's some Americana for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyF8RHM1OCg

My dreams of a Bachelor Party sequel died with her.

R.I.P.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

redgubbinz posted:

Hell yeah, your aunt Jackie owned

Seconded. I'm in my mid 40's and I'd still be excited for a strawberry pancakes and Pontiac Firebird day.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Big Beef City posted:

My mom is the youngest of 4 sisters.
I am an only child. Thus, the last kid of the last sister.

Her OLDEST sister, was diagnosed with diabetes at a time when giving insulin to yourself was available, but still a burden and awkward.
Now, I'm gonna cut to the chase here, her oldest sister decided "gently caress it" and lived her adult life like she wanted to. She was strongly intellectually oriented, loved star trek, Carl Sagan, and being an independent single woman who would not let anyone take care of her.
She owned her own home. And she always had a fondness for hotrods. Racing boys and blowing out glass pack exhausts on whatever car she could afford to put them on as long as my mom had known her.
She was also my mom's idol.

By the time I was born, she was sort of a ghost of herself, the 'betus taking a lot from her, but what I remember is that she still owned the house she bought. And my dad helped her cut her lawn (she did all the rest of her chores, mind you, and even some of the lawn) with a REEL mower. Note: I was born in '81, and I was old enough to remember all this poo poo, so we're talking 85-89 a single woman dying of diabetes taking care of her own property and chores using a push mower in the mid 80's and not because she HAD to, she demanded it. She had offers to move off the land, sell it, and the family could have done a number of things to change this. No dice.

Anyway, where I'm going with this is; I personally most remember my aunt because she still drove one of these:

And would come roaring up our country driveway to take me, a young kid between the ages of 4 and 7 years old to go get strawberry pancakes at Big Boy. My Favorite. And then drive me around in her spaceship car.

Aunt Jackie, I still miss ya.

So when I think of "Big Boy", I think of my aunt Jackie and rides in that car.

e: you're gonna laugh at it and make fun of me. That's no poo poo what happened. She stuck her whole life into a little house outside of nowheresville Midwest and somehow had that car (it might have been a 78 or 79) but it was no poo poo real. Just her, in a 'I'm NOT living in a trailer park' type house, and that car, with a reel mower, dead by diabetes by 45. Took me for rides in that poo poo to go get pancakes and talk about her and my moms love of star trek. A goon was born, baby.

:911:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

This is criminal activity

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Outrail posted:

This is criminal activity

If putting a weiner in loose meat is wrong, I don't wanna be right

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Smugworth posted:

If putting a weiner in loose meat is wrong, I don't wanna be right

Is that meat? I thought it was dog poo poo.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Is that meat? I thought it was dog poo poo.

Doobie dogshit special

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Smugworth posted:

If putting a weiner in loose meat is wrong, I don't wanna be tight

It was right there.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Putting a weiner in loose meat is how most Americans are conceived.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Huh, and here I thought it was a mad demiurge.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Big Beef City posted:

My mom is the youngest of 4 sisters.
I am an only child. Thus, the last kid of the last sister.

Her OLDEST sister, was diagnosed with diabetes at a time when giving insulin to yourself was available, but still a burden and awkward.
Now, I'm gonna cut to the chase here, her oldest sister decided "gently caress it" and lived her adult life like she wanted to. She was strongly intellectually oriented, loved star trek, Carl Sagan, and being an independent single woman who would not let anyone take care of her.
She owned her own home. And she always had a fondness for hotrods. Racing boys and blowing out glass pack exhausts on whatever car she could afford to put them on as long as my mom had known her.
She was also my mom's idol.

By the time I was born, she was sort of a ghost of herself, the 'betus taking a lot from her, but what I remember is that she still owned the house she bought. And my dad helped her cut her lawn (she did all the rest of her chores, mind you, and even some of the lawn) with a REEL mower. Note: I was born in '81, and I was old enough to remember all this poo poo, so we're talking 85-89 a single woman dying of diabetes taking care of her own property and chores using a push mower in the mid 80's and not because she HAD to, she demanded it. She had offers to move off the land, sell it, and the family could have done a number of things to change this. No dice.

Anyway, where I'm going with this is; I personally most remember my aunt because she still drove one of these:

And would come roaring up our country driveway to take me, a young kid between the ages of 4 and 7 years old to go get strawberry pancakes at Big Boy. My Favorite. And then drive me around in her spaceship car.

Aunt Jackie, I still miss ya.

So when I think of "Big Boy", I think of my aunt Jackie and rides in that car.

e: you're gonna laugh at it and make fun of me. That's no poo poo what happened. She stuck her whole life into a little house outside of nowheresville Midwest and somehow had that car (it might have been a 78 or 79) but it was no poo poo real. Just her, in a 'I'm NOT living in a trailer park' type house, and that car, with a reel mower, dead by diabetes by 45. Took me for rides in that poo poo to go get pancakes and talk about her and my moms love of star trek. A goon was born, baby.

Fuckin poetry man.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What I never understand is why the rest of the country doesn't enjoy Philadelphia foods. Like a real cheesesteak is not that hard to make and doesn't require any specialized equipment. Irish potatoes taste like sugar. Philly pretzels are just salty bread, and people loving love bread. There's no reason any of these foods should be regional.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There's literally no reason why Texas Tommy dogs aren't our national dish except that people hate Philadelphia for some reason

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Most people like Philly food dog.

We hate Chicago "food".

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

spookykid posted:

We hate Chicago "food".

https://i.imgur.com/d4vcvYd.mp4

You can pull my Chicago dog from my cold dead hands.

edit: tbh I don't like Italian sausage. I don't like fennel. Deep dish pizza is great as a once a year thing maybe. I haven't had one in like 8 years though. Italian beef isn't bad if you don't gently caress it up and make it chewy, which apparently is a loving difficulty around here. I don't know how cheese steaks are around here because I've never been to philly but I can only imagine they aren't as good. I haven't had a good one here and I have no reference.

I don't understand the "you can't make XYZ around these parts." Like, if someone from there moves here, they can make it. But due to the geographical location, apparently it's different, regardless if it's from a native. Mexican food is HUGE with that. If you're not in Mexico, you are completely unable to make Mexican food. Apparently. Despite the massive Mexican population here. It's white people pretentious bullshit.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 10, 2021

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I love you Pennywise, but get out of Chicago for like a year and go back and you'll see what I mean.

Your edit starting with "TBH" is the first in a number of steps to admitting most "Chicago-Style" food is... very midwestern, and not in a good way. It's like it absorbed all the gross front-end of midwestern cuisine, but never benefitted from the back-end where things were perfected with cheese and butter.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I don't understand the "you can't make XYZ around these parts." Like, if someone from there moves here, they can make it. But due to the geographical location, apparently it's different, regardless if it's from a native. Mexican food is HUGE with that. If you're not in Mexico, you are completely unable to make Mexican food. Apparently. Despite the massive Mexican population here. It's white people pretentious bullshit.

That's not it. Ingredients are not just equally accesible all over the world and even when they are , it's not exactly the same. This is not rare at all, even from town to town.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

americana food 1: if food's good, then it's good. if it's different from where it came from, that's ok, I'm still gonna eat it, and probably call it by its original name

americana food 2: items suspended in congealed tomato soup and served in a very large bread bowl, the chief food culture export of a very large city

americana food 3: let's give this deep fried trash wrapped in bacon a special name, locals become extremely proud of it

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

uber_stoat posted:

Tawny Kitaen just died. here's some Americana for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyF8RHM1OCg

Is that a nip slip at 2:19? :drat:

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Greatest Living Man posted:

Is that a nip slip at 2:19? :drat:

Yes that one is semi famous.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

zedprime posted:

From my desire to know more about Maid Rite I found this

The TM really makes it but there's something ominous with the phrasing "we don't really know why the gum started but it's here to stay"
My old hometown has something like this - it's gross but I used to walk through there all the time because it was convenient.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubblegum_Alley

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

BEST BAR-B-Q
*in Indiana

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Bouillon Rube posted:

BEST BAR-B-Q
*in Indiana

I don't mind "a barbecue" used in the sense of "a cookout" but I still get sad when someone uses "barbecue" to mean "boiled meat drowned in lovely sauce"

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
check out the ingredients for an "Ohio pulled chicken sandwich"

the directions are "put everything in a pot until warm"

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

That seems less like a deliberate recipe and more like “I am hungover and have a leftover chicken breast plus exactly these 5 ingredients in my otherwise-empty pantry”.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Lol at that ratio of salt to pepper

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
That seems good, but is there any way we could make it even blander? Maybe add a cup of rice.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

That's a sauce-agnostic chicken and carb delivery system, squirt any flavor you want in there

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I've looked through a half dozen recipes and so far haven't seen a single person suggest any kind of additional things to make it actually taste good

anyway enjoy another ingredients pic and also this snippet from the long opening story paragraph of one of the recipes

quote:

This total comfort food is so basic. With only a few ingredients and easy slow cooker prep, I can see why it has become a regional favorite. One article I read said it was often served in prison and should stay there. LOL! 

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hawowanlawow posted:

That's a sauce-agnostic chicken and carb delivery system, squirt any flavor you want in there

daddy's cumin

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I love the weird mix of horror, disgust, ridicule and nostalgia of this thread.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Taeke posted:

horror, disgust, ridicule and nostalgia

Sums up my feelings on America pretty well.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Aardvark! posted:

I've looked through a half dozen recipes and so far haven't seen a single person suggest any kind of additional things to make it actually taste good

anyway enjoy another ingredients pic and also this snippet from the long opening story paragraph of one of the recipes

You know what you need to do

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I still want to try mock apple pie

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I still want to try mock apple pie

wtf

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aardvark! posted:

check out the ingredients for an "Ohio pulled chicken sandwich"

the directions are "put everything in a pot until warm"

I think this would taste fine i'm just totally lol at using boxed stuffing mix rather than just bread and "italian seasoning" or whatever. These things are supposed to be cheap to make, that's pretty much the point.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Is that what I think it is? tf

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

i think this was either a great depression or wartime thing?

e: yeah it's a great depression recipe. a lot of "americana" comes from making due with what was available or safe to eat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schmug
May 20, 2007

Cloks posted:

i think this was either a great depression or wartime thing?

e: yeah it's a great depression recipe. a lot of "americana" comes from making due with what was available or safe to eat

Had it once like 40 years ago. I remember it being not exactly good, but not really bad either.