Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

daily weight cuts for daily weigh ins is the future i want to see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Bluedeanie posted:

Cerrone! Cerrone, come back! *Cowboy slumps completely unresponsive on his jetski as it careens toward shark-infested waters*

:golfclap:

If CM Punk wants another run at the Octagon, him vs Cerrone could be fun(ny).

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

:golfclap:

If CM Punk wants another run at the Octagon, him vs Cerrone could be fun(ny).

man what if cm punk beat cowboy though...

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Nis posted:

He's shot but he ain't that shot. Punk has no power or wrestling and Cowboy has better BJJ.

I'm looking at the current roster at 170 for fighters that wouldn't hurt Cowboy badly and it's pretty dire. If he absolutely insists on continuing to fight, he's never fought Condit before. He could also fight Maia in a Loser And Winner Leaves Town match

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

reeg posted:

He's shot but he ain't that shot. Punk has no power or wrestling and Cowboy has better BJJ.

I'm looking at the current roster at 170 for fighters that wouldn't hurt Cowboy badly and it's pretty dire. If he absolutely insists on continuing to fight, he's never fought Condit before. He could also fight Maia in a Loser And Winner Leaves Town match

He doesn't wanna fight at 170, the fight this weekend wasn't supposed to be at 170 either, he was ready to cut to 155 until Sanchez got replaced with Morono. Look for names at 155, or maybe even 145ers willing to go up to fight cowboy.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Nis posted:

I would literally never stop laughing.

Brut posted:

He doesn't wanna fight at 170, the fight this weekend wasn't supposed to be at 170 either, he was ready to cut to 155 until Sanchez got replaced with Morono. Look for names at 155, or maybe even 145ers willing to go up to fight cowboy.

Max Holloway then.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Max Holloway then.

Lol no. Edson Barboza, Brendan Allen, Josh Emmett. Maybe even someone unranked but I'm poo poo with names so without a list in front of me those fighters might as well not exist.

There are others who make sense but I wouldn't wanna derail their own run for it, Evloev, Mitchell, Dawodu make sense to me but I think they all have things to do in their own weight class.

I haven't taken in to account who's already booked or not for this.

Brut fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 10, 2021

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Brut posted:

Lol no. Edson Barboza, Brendan Allen, Josh Emmett. Maybe even someone unranked but I'm poo poo with names so without a list in front of me those fighters might as well not exist.

There are others who make sense but I wouldn't wanna derail their own run for it, Evloev, Mitchell, Dawodu make sense to me but I think they all have things to do in their own weight class.

Unfortunately I think everyone you mentioned is significantly better than Alex Morono (also Brendan Allen is 185, you may be thinking of Arnold)

I think it's gotta be a retirement tour kinda fight. Cerrone/Miller 2 or Cerrone/Guida

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Miller or Guida would be cool final opponents. Diego was kind of perfect.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

reeg posted:

Unfortunately I think everyone you mentioned is significantly better than Alex Morono (also Brendan Allen is 185, you may be thinking of Arnold)

I think it's gotta be a retirement tour kinda fight. Cerrone/Miller 2 or Cerrone/Guida

Oops I was even looking at the list when I typed that, yeah, I mean Arnold.

They're better than Alex Morono but they also fight at 145, Morono's fought at 170 his entire career except for when he fought at 185.

That being said, I like the options you suggested as well.

mewse
May 2, 2006

So those BJJ scout videos of diego's insane coach, it shows a vid filmed by Stephan Bonnar at a broadcaster meeting with diego and his coach gives this really stupid rant about negative publicity and then huge props to paul felder who immediately says "I don't know what the gently caress you're talking about"

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Giving old broken Cerrone to Barboza seems like a cruel thing to do

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Bunch of those listed guys would kill cerrone at 155. (Lets not make the guy cut to 145 c'mon guys.) Is Joe Lauzon still fighting?

p.s do you think cerrone will get fat as poo poo when he retires?

actually condit probably perfect, both WEC guys.

Southpaugh fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 10, 2021

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Brut posted:

He fought Barboza many years ago. Both are different fighters now, for better or worse. Emmett would loving kill him.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cerrone should fight Guida because a) they've never fought, somehow, and b) Guida is unlikely to concuss him, and c) Cerrone actually kinda matches up favourably with him

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Also I noticed just now that the UFC released a bunch of fighters in the last couple days. Notably Woodley is on the "recent releases" section on Wikipedia's active fighters list (which is more up-to-date usually than the official UFC page):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_UFC_fighters#Recent_releases

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

CommonShore posted:

Cerrone should fight Guida because a) they've never fought, somehow, and b) Guida is unlikely to concuss him, and c) Cerrone actually kinda matches up favourably with him

This would be a great dual retirement fight

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

CommonShore posted:

I was going to say clay guida in response to the goon suggesting the find-a-new-fighter thread, but clay is still fighting??

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

ilmucche posted:

I was going to say clay guida in response to the goon suggesting the find-a-new-fighter thread, but clay is still fighting??

Clay Guida beat Michael Johnson 3 months ago, and I think it was even a good fight.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Southpaugh posted:

actually condit probably perfect, both WEC guys.

Loser's brain leaves town match.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
Cerrone sucks both inside and outside of the ring and I want to see him matched up with people with lead hands and feet to further punish his awful brain that is full of toxic opinions

(yes I know it would be hard to find a fighter who isn't like Cerrone)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

kensei posted:

This would be a great dual retirement fight

Loser leaves town

Winner leaves town

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Holy gently caress I watched this fight and somehow didn't catch this :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le_2T0S8EcY

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 10, 2021

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is all likely to be fake, yet I hold out hope

(black background = Dana, grey background = Diego's manager Joshua Fabia)

Edit - This is in context of Fabia recently accusing Dana & Sean Shelby of having sex with female fighters which is a thing we've at least heard about Dana once a la Brendan Schaub insinuating that Dana hooked up with Ronda when she was a fighter, after Schaub and Ronda had broken up.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 11, 2021

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Dana simply made a bargain with the ghost of Whitey Bulger, trading his own soul for Diego's. That's not the same thing as sending an assassin.

Also Hermansson/Shahbazyan is off 262 and the card is looking increasingly thin

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Mekchu posted:

This is all likely to be fake, yet I hold out hope

(black background = Dana, grey background = Diego's manager Joshua Fabia)

Edit - This is in context of Fabia recently accusing Dana & Sean Shelby of having sex with female fighters which is a thing we've at least heard about Dana once a la Brendan Schaub insinuating that Dana hooked up with Ronda when she was a fighter, after Schaub and Ronda had broken up.

There is 0% chance that's real, come on dude.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Even the basic premise - that Fabia would have Dana's number - isn't plausible

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

Even the basic premise - that Fabia would have Dana's number - isn't plausible

That's instagram's DM system it seems. Not a phone text message.

Brut posted:

There is 0% chance that's real, come on dude.

I said it was all likely to be fake, but its still is so perfect I would want it to be real.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

mewse posted:

So those BJJ scout videos of diego's insane coach, it shows a vid filmed by Stephan Bonnar at a broadcaster meeting with diego and his coach gives this really stupid rant about negative publicity and then huge props to paul felder who immediately says "I don't know what the gently caress you're talking about"

Yeah I literally laughed out loud at that. The unbridled narcissism of Fabia has found the perfect sucker in Diego sadly. Like you can tell it's at the point that Diego believes all the poo poo Fabia says without question so much that Fabia now even believes his own lies

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

smart, handsome jouban escapes stupid, sexy purgatory by retiring from fighting to talk on camera and be handsome. if only we could all be so lucky

https://twitter.com/AlanJouban/status/1391951201558691840?s=20

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

reeg posted:

Dana simply made a bargain with the ghost of Whitey Bulger, trading his own soul for Diego's. That's not the same thing as sending an assassin.

Also Hermansson/Shahbazyan is off 262 and the card is looking increasingly thin

Yeah. It still looks pretty good but I really looked forward to that one. At least we'll get to see Shane Burgos murder Edson Barboza and Tony getting wrestlefucked for his third consecutive loss. Also Katlyn "Blonde Fighter" Chookagian is on the main card. Apparently she's ranked number 2 in women's flyweight, which is a great sign for the division.

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/5/...in-bellator-mma

A weird one.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Hmm, they're also reporting Dana will let Cowboy ge one more for the road to CTE
https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/5/10/22429858/dana-white-donald-cerrone-will-get-one-last-chance-after-latest-knockout-loss

quote:

Absolutely not [my last fight]. No way. I’ll never go out like this.
I will, 100 percent I’ll know [it’s the last fight] and I’ll come in, and sh*t, hopefully I go in whipping rear end right off.
There’s no way I’d end like this. I couldn’t let my legacy end like this.
Looking forward to seeing the historically slow starter finally reengineer his gameplan in bareknuckle boxing after washing out of Bellator.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
hatchi matchi

https://twitter.com/BigMarcel24/status/1392542339491667973

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
My beautiful boy Walker :(

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Well plenty of time for this to fall apart between now and Saturday. Let’s see what we have

:frogsiren:Lightweight Championship Charles Oliveira vs Michael Chandler
It’s a vacant title. I’ve seen a few commentators describe this matchmaking as “the best guys who Khabib never beat up.” Oliveira and Chandler are opposites in like every way I can think of. “Aloe” Do Bronx “Vera” is a Brazilian BJJ whiz who came into the UFC very young and has been around for ages. After an unsuccessful run at featherweight, he returned to lightweight and has been just tearing up opponents since then with just a more complete game. His striking looks good, and his wrestling is improved, but his grappling is the main event – he has more submission wins and more wins by different submissions than any other UFC fighter. Last time out he just trounced Tony Ferguson, and Kevin Lee before that. Chandler comes into the UFC in the twilight of his career after a long time in Bellator, where he became famous for an exciting title fight series with Eddie Alvarez. He won and lost the title a few times, most recently getting KOed by the smaller Pitbull brother. He made his UFC debut on a 1-win streak and KOed top contender Dan Hooker in the first round. He’s a great wrestler with powerful and accurate, if unsophisticated, striking.

It's a great fight and the winner will probably fight the winner of McGregor-Poirier III, with Justin Gaethje floating around as well.

Main Card PPV
:siren:Lightweight Tony Ferguson vs Beniel Dariush
Tony just can’t get an easy fight. He’s the former interim champion who once boasted a 12-fight winning streak. He’s crazy and fights with combat rolls and elbows and blood. But he got beaten up really bad by Justin Gaethje, and then pretty bad by Charles Oliveira. Meanwhile, Dariush is streaking, again. He’s a habitual streaker. He’s an Assyrian (seriously) elite grappler with big hands. He’s hittable, but more than once he has KOed an opponent either while hurt or in an exchange. Last time out he had a great fight with Carlos Diego Feirrera. This fight has lots of potential for crazy poo poo to happen. The outcome really depends on how much Ferguson has aged and lost a step.

Flyweight Katlyn Chookagian vs Viviane Araujo
Katlyn “Blonde Fighter” is the former #1 contender. She got stopped via TKO cuts to Valentina in a one-sided beating, and then she got body-shot TKOed by Jessica Andrade. There might have been another fight in there – I can’t remember and it doesn’t really matter. For the most part, when Chookagian wins, she outpoints her opponents with not-especially-threatening striking, though she has shown off a great BJJ top game once or twice. Araujo is 4-1 in the UFC, with her lone loss being to Jessica Eye. Last time out she took a decision over Roxy. I can’t remember really much for details of that fight (or for Araujo) but I do remember it was one-sided.

:siren:Featherweight Shane Burgos vs Edson Barboza
Yessssss. Burgos is a solid striker who has good technique but goes into the fire. He has been floating around the edges of contendership for sometime, but has lost some key fights to guys like Calvin Kattar. He’s fun to watch and pretty good. Barboza is a veteran known for kickfighting. He is one of the best kickers ever in the sport. He kicks heads, he kicks legs. He snaps them, he spins them, and is fun. He has lost a step though and is trying to reinvigorate his career by moving down in weight. Last time out he took a pretty fun decision win over Amirkani.

Bantamweight Matt Schnell vs Rogerio Bontorin
I don’t know these dudes. Schnell has a 5-3 UFC record with wins over Smolka, Espinosa, and Tyson Nam, bouncing between bantamweight and flyweight. His most recent loss is to Alexandre Pantoja. Botnorin is a DWCS (Brazil) product who is 2-2 UFC and got walk away KOed by Kai Kara-France in March

Prelims ESPN/ESPN+
Middleweight Ronaldo Souza vs Andre Muniz
It’s Jacare. He’s good at fighting but getting old – he’s one of the all-time-great BJJ champions, and the former Strikeforce champ. He’s on a 3-fight skid, most recently being loving bizarro world KOed by Kevin Holland, but before that taking current Light Heavyweight champion to a split decision. Muniz is a DWCS product who submitted Bartosz Fabinski by a pretty sweet arm bar in September.

Featherweight Lando Vannata vs Mike Grundy
Groovy Lando is a pure action fighter who has been around for a few years racking up draws and split decisions. He has a few KOs, but he’s better known for gritty decisions. This is his featherweight debut. Mike Grundy is a Brit who is 1-1 UFC with lots of submission wins. He lost to Evloev in July. That might have been the fight where Evloev suplexed the poo poo out of him over and over.

Flyweight Andrea Lee vs Antonina Shevchenko
The lesser of their names. Andrea “KGB” Lee (not to be confused with One FC champ Angela Lee) is a Texan kickboxer. She’s long and rangy but not really threatening in her power. She’s on a 3-fight skid but is around because she’s ~marketable~ and wears a cowboy hat. Shevchenko is the less effective sister of the divisional champion. She has a pretty shallow game imo, but decent striking fundamentals. She’s coming off of a TKO win over Ariane Lipski for a 3-2 UFC record. Don’t expect fireworks out of this fight, but we might be treated to some blood if the stars align.

Just as an editorial aside it really bothers me that a fighter can be lovely and on a 3 fight skid and keep her job because she’s conventionally attractive, but a fighter like Lauren Murphy has to win like 7 in a row to get considered for a title shot, or Liz Carmouche can be released with like 1 loss.

Middleweight Jordan Wright vs Jamie Pickett
Jordan Wright came off of DWCS with a cut TKO of Ike Villanueva but he was KOed really badly by Joaquim Buckley. Pickett is a DWCS guy who I think had the storyline of making it to the UFC on his third attempt. He lost his debut to Nchukwi, who we saw lose to Iron Turtle last weekend.

Early Prelims (Fight Pass)
Flyweight Gina Mazany vs Priscilla Cachoeira
Cachoeira came in off of a huge streak of wins in Brazilian regional promotions and then got so smashed by Valentina Shevchenko that a ref lost his job over it. She KOed Shana Dobson in her last fight, to bring her to 1-3 in the UFC. Mazany is 2-4 UFC and TKOed Rachael Ostovich in her first flyweight fight. This is a pretty scrub-tier fight and it should be in Invicta.

Kevin Aguilar vs Tucker Lutz
Huh. That’s his real name. He’s 11-1 and coming in from two consecutive DWCS fights. Aguilar is a DWCS guy who is 2-3 in the UFC. He’s probably still around despite a 3-fight skid because the DWCS guys get roped into poo poo contracts and they get paid peanuts.

Lightweight Christos Giagos vs Sean Soriano
Giagos is 3-2 in the UFC in his second run here, though those two losses are to Charles Oliveira and Drakkar Klose. Soriano is 0-3 in the UFC and is coming back for a second run. What a fart of a fight. I’d happily watch a fight like this on an LFA card but why is this on a PPV?

Snack Rating: An ice cream sundae with a whole shitload of really good toppings on top of c-tier ice cream that melts too fast as you eat it.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 13, 2021

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
While I agree that it's frustrating for looks to factor into choices to keep undeserving fighters around, I think there's a little more to the story than that with Andrea Lee. There was some questionable judging in her recent losses and the one to Lauren Murphy in particular was an out and out robbery as I recall. Like every media score had it for Lee. So she should really be coming in on a single loss at worst to Roxy. I think she also gets some extra latitude because she's decent and fighting at 125, which is lean on promising talent.

There's still no good explanation why Carmouche should have been cut though. That was some bullshit. I think they probably did it because she's clearly not going to win a title, but she's good enough to spoil things for lots of fresh contenders they would otherwise be able to bring in for Shevchenko to maul.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Rothwell's replacement opponent is now being replaced with HUGGY BEAR(!). Last time I paid attention to him he was a super-heavyweight, but apparently he's been making the heavyweight limit for a while now.

https://twitter.com/BigMarcel24/status/1392678007870009344

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

gently caress yes! I'm hoping the leg kick TKO gods shine upon us for this one. Oh how I've been waiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
chucky olives is gonna gently caress chandler up.