Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The Braves have signed the corpse of Tanner Roark to a minor league deal, I look forward to the 2/3rds of an inning he will pitch before getting immediately DFA'd again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

elentar posted:

The Braves have signed the corpse of Tanner Roark to a minor league deal, I look forward to the 2/3rds of an inning he will pitch before getting immediately DFA'd again.

He is absolutely loving awful

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
time to get his tits lit once again

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Yankees gonna get their rear end completely kicked by a mediocre Tampa team again this week?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

Yankees gonna get their rear end completely kicked by a mediocre Tampa team again this week?

Search your feelings, you know it to be true

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

mcmagic posted:

We can only hope.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

mcmagic posted:

Hopefully Voit can do better than the current .150/.250/.244 (45 wRC+) that Yankees first basemen have been hitting for so far this season. But yeah they always suck rear end at the Trop.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

So I was looking at players the Orioles might draft and according to Henry Davis' wikipedia entry:

quote:

Davis shot up Fox Lane High School in Bedford, New York. As a junior in 2017, he hit 20 kids[1] In 2018, his senior year, he killed a family of 5 and burned their bodies.[2] He was named the Perfect Game New York Player of the Year, the Section 1 Player of the Year, and also earned all-state honors.[3] He was undrafted in the 2018 Major League Baseball draft and enrolled at the University of Louisville.

In 2019, Davis' freshman season at Louisville, he appeared in 45 games (making 35 starts) and batted .280 with three home runs and 23 RBIs.[4] As a sophomore in 2020, he hit .372 with three home runs and 13 RBIs over 14 games before the season was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Davis_(baseball)

I guess I'll take it if he can hit but I'd rather have a player without the baggage

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ihatepants posted:

Hopefully Voit can do better than the current .150/.250/.244 (45 wRC+) that Yankees first basemen have been hitting for so far this season. But yeah they always suck rear end at the Trop.

It's pretty nice not to have to see Ford in there every day anymore. There is no way Voit doesn't do much better than that heh.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

FlamingLiberal posted:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1391927547529768967?s=20

Even after all of the nonsense with the now ex-team president, they still messed with his service time

I feel like it was even easier to do this season with the minors being pushed to just starting to play games now.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's doubly dumb because I just cannot see a CBA the union agrees to that still allows for service time manipulation. Feels like it's become such a central issue that the players will risk a lockout over it.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Kelenic is pretty likely to get super 2 status coming up this early in the season, isn't he? I know it's not set in stone, but isn't the cutoff usually around June?

Weird dumb rear end situation. Accidentally publicly admit that you're willing to manipulate service time, but then not do it when the time comes? Mariners 101, I suppose.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The Mariners are fine paying him super 2, they just wanted the extra year of team control.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

ihatepants posted:

It really sucks having a well below average 1B. I suggest designating them for assignment and finding a stud like Jared Walsh as a replacement

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yankees just finished a 7-2 home stand, have won or split their last 6 series, their SP has been delivering, Stanton's been unconsciousness, Gleyber and DJLM have started hitting, and they're getting their 1B slugger back finally.

Maybe its not a cubsposting thing, maybe its the entire thread?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31427293/oakland-athletics-start-looking-relocating-elsewhere-sources-say

Welcome, Montreal Athletics

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1392183266443239424

would be so funny if they shared the raiders stadium

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Just contract the A’s, it’s fine, no one will miss them

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

gently caress.

Although it would be nice to see them move to Charlotte.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

gently caress.

Although it would be nice to see them move to Charlotte.

https://mlbraleigh.com/

:colbert:

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
If it’s not Portland or Vegas, and the A’s move east, what team moves into the west?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Johnny Bravo posted:

It really sucks having a well below average 1B. I suggest designating them for assignment and finding a stud like Jared Walsh as a replacement

Voit did lead the majors in homers last year. He's #good.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My plans to move out of the area are coming just in time lol.

For real though the whole situation is a massive clusterfuck between the city of Oakland, Alameda County, the A's, MLB, and private development interests. Not to mention at the end of the day Oakland just doesn't have the money to meet the level of public funding the A's are looking for. Maybe the a genuine threat of moving will get something moving but I wouldn't put money on it. :(

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Yankees just finished a 7-2 home stand, have won or split their last 6 series, their SP has been delivering, Stanton's been unconsciousness, Gleyber and DJLM have started hitting, and they're getting their 1B slugger back finally.

Obviously it's better to win games than lose them but they are still not hitting AT ALL with RISP and have a ton of holes in the lineup even after Viot comes back. It would be nice to see them play well against tampa. My feeling is still that this is the same team that hasn't been good enough since basically 2017.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 11, 2021

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

seiferguy posted:

The Mariners are fine paying him super 2, they just wanted the extra year of team control.

All the bad publicity, none of the benefits. Seems fitting.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Send em to Vegas and play in the Raiders park again lol

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Salt Lake Athletics please

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

STAC Goat posted:

I'm so mad they have to follow up the homestand where things looked like they may be turning around with a series in Tampa where nothing good has ever happened.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Aaaand the Rays have DFAed Yoshi, which took them long enough, presumably because Choi is about ready to come back. Shame he couldn’t figure out how to hit an MLB fastball.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm so mad they have to follow up the homestand where things looked like they may be turning around with a series in Tampa where nothing good has ever happened.

It's also very dumb that they play 4 series against Tampa before they play Boston.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

mcmagic posted:

It's also very dumb that they play 4 series against Tampa before they play Boston.

16 of 19 games between Boston/NYY in June, July, and August, and all but two games are Thurs-Sun. The front office wet dream.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The Cubs still haven't played the Cardinals but we've played the Pirates ~6000 times already. This years schedule is weird.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I am also very okay with this.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

It’s time for the Mexico City Athletics

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Wouldn't Atlanta and Washington both take a hard line against anything in the Virginia/Carolina area?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The American Dream posted:

If it’s not Portland or Vegas, and the A’s move east, what team moves into the west?

Ok fine Vancouver Athletics.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Dinosaurs! posted:

It’s time for the Mexico City Athletics

That would be kind of a long haul for road trips though, right?

What about El Paso/ Juarez? Huge metro area and no competition.

I don't see Vegas, though. I could be wrong (I usually am) but with as tight as MLBs butthole is about gambling I don't think they'd go for it.

Move to Montreal and revive the Expos.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 11, 2021

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sydin posted:

My plans to move out of the area are coming just in time lol.

For real though the whole situation is a massive clusterfuck between the city of Oakland, Alameda County, the A's, MLB, and private development interests. Not to mention at the end of the day Oakland just doesn't have the money to meet the level of public funding the A's are looking for. Maybe the a genuine threat of moving will get something moving but I wouldn't put money on it. :(

Didn't the Giants block a lot of the good proposed sites as well

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

That would be kind of a long haul for road trips though, right?

What about El Paso/ Juarez? Huge metro area and no competition.

I don't see Vegas, though. I could be wrong (I usually am) but with as tight as MLBs butthole is about gambling I don't think they'd go for it.

Move to Montreal and revive the Expos.

The biggest problem with Mexico City is that it would make Coors look like a normal ballpark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
While I get the desire to stay in Oakland, Sacramento or Portland should be the backup.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

The problems with Vegas are: We just built a minor league ballpark and while it's very good for a minor league park it isn't easily converted to MLB use. Transit here is worse than anywhere in Oakland. It's a terrible climate (atmosphere, elevation) for baseball anyway. On top of that the A's have already tipped their hand with a privately funded stadium in a city where land and construction is much more expensive.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 11, 2021