Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Now that arena is scaled to single player its actually pretty fun. The barioth one is the best. The quests that take place out of the arena are a bit of a pain to s rank. But its neat trying different weapons and builds. Kinda wished they gave you some items to play with tho, like they did in past games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

If we're talking about theory crafting armor builds and stuff, anybody wanna help me with hammer? I am bad at this.

I picked Tigrex hammer cuz I read upthread that it's a good one with Silkbind Boost. Then I discovered that I don't even have Impact Crater (probably need to unlock it), and I am a big dumb dumb who rarely remembers to use Wirebug moves in combat other than the Wirefall. How does one Impact Crater properly?

Also assuming I might not remember or get how to Impact Crater, I also have the Narg hammer. Would that one be better?

Other suggestions for the armor? I don't have any more slots in there for the last bit of Weakness Exploit, nor do I have a Talisman for it.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

If we're talking about theory crafting armor builds and stuff, anybody wanna help me with hammer? I am bad at this.

I picked Tigrex hammer cuz I read upthread that it's a good one with Silkbind Boost. Then I discovered that I don't even have Impact Crater (probably need to unlock it), and I am a big dumb dumb who rarely remembers to use Wirebug moves in combat other than the Wirefall. How does one Impact Crater properly?

Also assuming I might not remember or get how to Impact Crater, I also have the Narg hammer. Would that one be better?

Other suggestions for the armor? I don't have any more slots in there for the last bit of Weakness Exploit, nor do I have a Talisman for it.

Impact crater is a default silkbind skill, I think ZL+ A? I prioritize crit boost and wex over stamina thief and slugger but that's personal preference. It's hard to give armor advice since its so charm dependent

This was my narg hammer build soon after 2.0 dropped but it has a WEX 2 and 2 slot charm, Narg has high affinity so needs fewer points in crit eye, the tigrex hammer would prioritize it over attack boost
Master's touch is also not really necessary, especially since you usually have enough single slots left over for speed sharpening 3 but I like that near perpetual white

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 11, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Fired up MHWI briefly yesterday and I have to say it's great we have these two separate streams for the game on mobile and um immobile platforms. They're both great to have and it's neat they feel different while being the same so tasty MonHun experience.

MHWI feels good other than the deco grind, which feels even worse after Rise's return to craftable decos and RNG talismans. All of the existing improved deco drop mods are outdated due to patches, so that's a double bummer. May have to learn how to mod those drop tables to update one of those mods if I'm to do the deep run in Iceborne I never did before because I didn't really get into the claw mechanics and wounding.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Yeah, Impact Crater is default, and I don't even think it's a switch skill, you just have it. Always charge hammer to 3 before using it.

It's so potent in fact that I always have 2-3 points in Wirebug Whisperer on my hammer. I think Tigrex is at least as good as Narga - in my own personal experience anyway. A neat trick I learned late is that if you switch from purple hammer to yellow, it goes straight to yellow charge 3. So if you need to get Impact Crater off a little sooner, you can do that instead of charging purple to 3.

Waking things up with impact crater is tits, but the distancing is difficult. An easier way to do it is to stand with the monster's head a bit to your hunter's left (with just a little distance). Trigger Impact Crater, and only turn left as your hunter is in motion for the final swing. Works well.

Captain Lavender fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 11, 2021

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
the worst loving feeling in the world is when you impact crater and the 2 upswing attacks flinch the monster making your 2 downward hits miss the head

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Centzon Totochtin posted:

the worst loving feeling in the world is when you impact crater and the 2 upswing attacks flinch the monster making your 2 downward hits miss the head

Absolutely.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
No point in running less than 3 Wirebug Whisperer IMO because only at 3 do non-Wirefall skills regen faster.

I have a Wirebug 3 charm with a 2-slot that I have on my Hammer and SnS sets.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

DoctorWhat posted:

No point in running less than 3 Wirebug Whisperer IMO because only at 3 do non-Wirefall skills regen faster.

I have a Wirebug 3 charm with a 2-slot that I have on my Hammer and SnS sets.

Plus it's just a useful skill to have

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:doh: Derp, right. I did mention I am bad at this? I'll look into Wirebug Whisperer and switch around more WEX and Crit boost intead of Slugger and Stamina thief. My logic was, more time monster spends knocked over twitching or tired > more opportunities to Impact Crater it in the face.

I'll see about rejiggering this. Thanks ya'll!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Centzon Totochtin posted:

lol this happens with sns dragon punch so frequently

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

Dont like max might on hammer. Need stamina full for 3 seconds ti activate it and between all the charging and rolling that doesn't happen often. Maaaybe it would active for the final two hits on impact crater?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Dont like max might on hammer. Need stamina full for 3 seconds ti activate it and between all the charging and rolling that doesn't happen often. Maaaybe it would active for the final two hits on impact crater?

Oh word? Well nuts to that then. I used that in World with Stamina Surge. Goodbye to that idea then. Thanks for pointing that out!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

MHWI Gunlance: I see a lot of videos on charge-shelling Long and poke-shelling Wide, but would prefer to play full-burst Normal. How viable is that in MR/the end-game?

There's a mod that makes all three viable on the same weapon, but I thought I'd play vanilla to start with.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Let's see them guild cards!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Preferred weapons: 3* GS/LBG; 2* SWAxe/CB
Used Weapons: 300 CB

Seems legit.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

One more HR and you can have Second-rate as an option on your guild card!

I was looking at bows to make and since I don't like the feather I was thinking about options for pre-unlocked level 4 charges. Diablos Coilbender sticks out as a Pierce option so I'm gonna try that, especially since it has an upgrade coming in the future. I dunno, I feel like everything I try to build around is kind of a "gently caress crit meta" sort of thing, whether it's Brutal Strike-focused or a 100% affinity meme. But it's fun to build my own stuff without much input from the Internet.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

v1ld posted:

Preferred weapons: 3* GS/LBG; 2* SWAxe/CB
Used Weapons: 300 CB

Seems legit.

I'm only playing the CB because my friend and I made a pact that we'd play a weapon we hadn't given a real chance to before. I probably have thousands of GS hunts across 3U, 4U, Gen, and World.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Batterypowered7 posted:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

v stylish

Spam Down B
Oct 1, 2008
https://twitter.com/Flip33643387/status/1390125915242319875?s=20

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Shameful that you all don't use the picture you took of a bombadgy for that one quest.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Batterypowered7 posted:

Twitter link because I'm lazy

https://twitter.com/Silver_FalconSA/status/1392244786392813568?s=20

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

This is the build I put together for the Diablos Bow. I don't think it gets much better than this, really, when aiming to abuse Brutal Strike at least. I also made a preliminary set for the Herald's Battlebow but that one is a bit iffier since I feel like I can't get the crit rate I really want out of it. Might just need a better talisman for that one. Still, with all the big monsters everyone is fighting lately I think a nice Pierce raw weapon is what the doctor ordered. I'll sample it a bit over today.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
So Tigrex can eat all the poo poo out of my rear end in a top hat.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Oldstench posted:

So Tigrex can eat all the poo poo out of my rear end in a top hat.

Knowing Tigrex, it probably would.

E: Bring sleep, tinged, and zappy meat. He's a hungry boy and will gladly afflict statuses on himself for you.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Batterypowered7 posted:

Hell yes, I love guild cards. Bonus Palico because I love Dr. Peppurr in the black mage costume:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

It me.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Lovin' all y'all's titles.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Is that two shotguns/rifles?

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Batterypowered7 posted:

Is that two shotguns/rifles?

Aknosom DBs, yeah

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

This is a beast of an Iceborne Gunlance run:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zYGFZoHuDY

Couple of early uses of ledges to go directly into the slam are just brilliant, including one where they time it to skip over the breath attack into the slam.

Which GL are they using? It's all in Japanese and there's no translation. There's full burst, shelling and wyrmstake all in use.

Batterypowered7 posted:

I'm only playing the CB because my friend and I made a pact that we'd play a weapon we hadn't given a real chance to before. I probably have thousands of GS hunts across 3U, 4U, Gen, and World.

I figured you put those in from prior experience, didn't know of the pact - that's cool.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 12, 2021

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Perfect balance.

Hit 100 tonight, can kind of feel myself slowing down. 140 hours in, my weapon reviews for this outing are:

Lance: My trad main and as amazing here as always. Has an absolute dud of an unchangeable wirebug move, but makes up for it with the swap slot. 9/10
Horn: A lot of fun, people who complain it got dumbed down too far probably have a point. I feel like it needs like, one more thing going on to make the songs not feel like static buffs with 100% uptime. Not sure what. Seed is a neat idea but inelegant. The attack up feels like a late consolation buff to the ability. 8/10
SnS: Uppercut is a ton of fun and I'm glad backstep spam isn't the meta. As a colorblind person I'm glad they just let you spam the button for perfect rush and not actually pay attention to the red flash for timing. Bring back oils. 7/10
Hammer: Usually clicks but the wirebug slam is too good to not do and makes the whole thing feel a little one-dimensional. I'm sure there's a lot of room for nuance with the color swapping, but I never made it that deep. 6/10
LBG: the first game I've ever played a ranged weapon, I guess it took being first-in-class for me to bother. Kinda snoozy, but that's probably more on my choices on how to play than design error. 10 points for effectiveness but 6/10 overall.
SA: My least favorite weapons in the series are the ones that have what feel to me like arbitrary mechanics, case in point the meter boost you get from the overhead slam move. Why does it do that? Because they needed something to do it. Meh. Extreme personal preference. 5/10

Huxley fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 12, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Alright I decided to make the Rampage LBG to see how the mechanics work and I spent over 100k on literally the worst bowgun.

So you don't get to just pick a blanket five rampage skills, there's categories. So, when looking at the gun by itself, you might think to yourself, "oh, a rapid-fire build with stickies and spread ammo might be dope" but no, you have to choose a single rapid-fire ammo type. And, you have to choose between a single non-elemental ammo type, so you literally can't even have spread and sticky ammo on the same gun, you have to choose. The rapid-fire description saying that it impacts clip size is apparently a straight-up lie too, so you get super small clips of every ammo type with no remedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

If it makes you feel any better the rampage bows are the best in their class bar-none.