Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'd love to have an opinion on it, as soon as we get something more than Video Toaster gate graphics paired with off-brand stock sound effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Can’t wait to send my team to the many forests of Vancouver different planets with lots of trees to shoot generic Stargate dudes.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Is this at all related to that horrible spaceship game on the Google Play store that's a few years old that I'm suddenly getting a ton of ads for because they have a Stargate Event? That's causing a flood of 1 star reviews saying "came because banner / ad was all stargate this game is garbage"? I haven't actually played to see how bad it is but all the preview images in the play store were just stills from SG-1.

Seriously that video shows nothing gameplay wise complete waste of everyone's time. The hype train will be dead before this reaches beta if they don't even have an early UI screenshot.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
lovely mobilesqe 'tactical' games are lovely.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

But an XCOM style squad tactics Stargate game would fuckin rule.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Grand Fromage posted:

But an XCOM style squad tactics Stargate game would fuckin rule.

yeah or an RTS. gimme playable travelers faction.

i'm kind of surprised they've never made some kind of social strategy game where every player has a planet with a gate address and you can either share them with friends to ally / war with or maybe occasionally discover new random ones to try dialing.

actually thinking of XCOM again it would be cool if they just sold that engine out for licensed games, would work good for like stargate and ghostbusters and poo poo.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 11, 2021

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I'd rather a game that focus on the exploration part of Stargate so few games do that. It's an IP that really could make 30 or so handmade alien worlds for you to explore with no combat. Find the local problem solve it move to the next address.

Narrative framing it's some Asgard scavenger hunt and takes place before they die.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah an RPG would be cool too. I do not understand why everything in the game must inevitably explode.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

A minigame where you have to chug more coffee faster than Teal'c

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

A minigame where you have to chug more coffee faster than Teal'c

extremely

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Don't you mean Indeed?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9HeShH8OBg

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

pixaal posted:

Seriously that video shows nothing gameplay wise complete waste of everyone's time. The hype train will be dead before this reaches beta if they don't even have an early UI screenshot.

For what it's worth, these folks did a great job with Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock. I won't pay any attention during development as it's clearly early days, but there are reasons to be optimistic about the final product.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Gelf posted:

For what it's worth, these folks did a great job with Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock. I won't pay any attention during development as it's clearly early days, but there are reasons to be optimistic about the final product.

It's the same publisher as Deadlock (which is indeed great) but a different actual developer. This is being done by CreativeForge, who I only know from the fairly well received XCOM-alike Phantom Doctrine.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Doggles posted:

So I just found out that someone's been building a fully articulated miniature Stargate model that actually spins, lights up, and has a functional DHD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKJP7RpfCG0

https://thestargateproject.com/

:staredog:

Ok I want one (well two).

Also in regards to videogame chat the best thing would be an expansion for No Mans Sky that just adds Stargates onto a bunch of planets that you can travel between.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Uhhhhhh.

Have you played No Man's Sky?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
:ssh:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

OK WHY THE gently caress DID NO-ONE TELL ME ABOUT THIS.

edit: Whoa it even does the whoosh.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 12, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is it still a thing? They update the game sometimes but leave the old stuff in there. There were two separate main quests at one point.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Senor Tron posted:

Ok I want one (well two).

It's up for auction! https://thestargateproject.com/buy-a-complete-stargate/ Currently up to €8,107.

There are also build instructions: https://thestargateproject.com/build-a-stargate-and-dhd-3d-printed/

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Cojawfee posted:

Is it still a thing? They update the game sometimes but leave the old stuff in there. There were two separate main quests at one point.

The expedition mode they added in the last update bypasses a lot of stuff that you have to do the main quests to unlock so really it's kinda like 3 now.
It should be ending soon, no telling what the next one is going to be like yet. It's kinda like a battle pass or other seasonal/limited time mode.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
So Amazon bought MGM

Come on new Stargate series

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bezosives sci-fi, I'd say we have a good chance.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yeah, this will get a new show.

Stargate is one of the largest MGM franchises and it has been underused for a decade with a crappy webseries and a cheap bsg-clone. Plus the rumours of movies but MGM couldn't afford them.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Bezos is actually going to gut both The Expanse and Stargate by combining the two into one entity since the final arc of The Expanse is likely too difficult to attempt to shoot. They will do that Disney creepy thing and put Baal back into it making him a creepy zombie puppet.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

pixaal posted:

Bezos is actually going to gut both The Expanse and Stargate by combining the two into one entity since the final arc of The Expanse is likely too difficult to attempt to shoot. They will do that Disney creepy thing and put Baal back into it making him a creepy zombie puppet.

gently caress this sounds dreadful; hopefully they're smart enough to take nothing from The Expanse, in particular.

I'm pretty sure I'll be a (poorly) re-cast reboot that completely discards all the unique elements, like the anti-military and religious threads.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Brad Wright has been pitching a new SG series to MGM for years that is not a reboot. And just recently Amanda Tapping mentioned that she's been approached about a new series.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I think she massively wheeled that back to basically a hopeful conversation with Joseph Mallozzi.

I'm honestly a bit sketchy on a continuation of the story, even as a huge fan; our characters are extremely powerful at this point, and it seems like a hard place to start something that isn't a limited resources situation, like SGU.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I still think it’ll be years later and something happened where the power got massively scaled back but I’m not Brad Wright.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Without RDA why bother with a continuation. Even at the end with the farscape people the show was a shell of its former self. Amanda Tapping cant carry a franchise when shes pushing 60. The mythology has been utterly mined out at this point where do you even take the show?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

RDA is over 70 now. He hasn’t done anything since SG.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'll be the one who says it: continue SGU. The cryopods glitched because of the low power so the characters aged normally while in stasis. Go.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
If the other elements are present then RDA and Tapping aren't needed; SGA made some of the best episodes in the franchise without a whiff of any of the SG1 established characters.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I should ever finish SGU. Watched it when it came out and didn't bother with Season 2. Rewatched all of SG-1 and Atlantis last year and just slammed hard into the SGU pilot and stopped. Maybe waiting a few months is enough and I should try it now.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I would guess if there's a new series and Tapping is involved she'll be the general of Stargate Command or something and the main cast will be all new people.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Grand Fromage posted:

I would guess if there's a new series and Tapping is involved she'll be the general of Stargate Command or something and the main cast will be all new people.

This is true, but like all the other ideas I could come up with for a new show that continues the story, this is exactly what SGU did. Whether that's a dealbreaker for Bezos remains to be seen.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Bezos is out as CEO in July. Would he still have any sway ?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The general to do what? Fight *scans religions on wikipedia* Lord Xenu the scientologist goauld? Sit on the bridge of another limp dick notStar Trek ship?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Vavrek posted:

I should ever finish SGU. Watched it when it came out and didn't bother with Season 2. Rewatched all of SG-1 and Atlantis last year and just slammed hard into the SGU pilot and stopped. Maybe waiting a few months is enough and I should try it now.

SGU turns a corner in the latter half of S1, and keeps getting better from there. I never watched any Stargate until a couple of years ago, and after all of SG1 and Atlantis I knew from internet buzz to expect a big tonal shift for SGU, and decided to give it a shot anyway, and still nearly gave up even then, so I can only imagine the hurdle fans must have faced when it was first airing and they couldn't binge through the first 10-12 episodes or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm sure if Amazon was backing a new series most of the original cast would agree to some cameo or guest role.

Jason Momoa seems like a chill enough guy he'd enjoy a single episode or guest spot.

Most of the others have been Canadian working actors for decades so they're probably available unless they just completely retired.

An SGU miniseries could bring back the original cast "that survived" and the ones they couldn't get like Ming Na or Robert Carlyle could've just died in the stasis pods.

Not really sure what the plans could be though, I don't think Amazon would back a 10 season show. Even the Expanse is expensive as gently caress and only getting so many episodes because it's Bezo's personal favorite show.

And that's not even addressing the half billion they sunk into planning a Hobbit/LOTR series.

Vavrek posted:

I kind of review a bit of the first season in this thread and was pretty down on it as a whole, but I also hated "Time" which a lot of people seemed to think was the highlight of the season.

You can see the ideas they were working with, the potential they had, but then it shifted to another "angry military vs rational science liar" dynamic and ruined all the good will. Getting past the first ten episodes is a loving chore.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 27, 2021