Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Algund Eenboom posted:

He was Disrespectful to the Legacy of Duke Basketball

That whole outrage was very dumb but nah it's been around way longer than that, he moved high schools a few times and there was always talk that something happened but never whether or not it was something actually bad or just him smoking weed or something.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

You're correct, but i am also remembering last year when out of nowhere draft people started talking about how anthony edwards has "personal issues" that they refused to elaborate on in anything but the vaguest terms, so maybe it's a similar situation, which is to say, any number of situations, and I'm not sure why i wrote this post

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't remember anything with Edwards until right before the draft where he gave an interview where he said he likes football and rapping more than basketball and everyone freaked out

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

MourningView posted:

I don't remember anything with Edwards until right before the draft where he gave an interview where he said he likes football and rapping more than basketball and everyone freaked out

there was tons of press about how he didn't want to win, should have went to a higher-pressure school with something to play for, etc. i remember because i fell for it. shameful reporters.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

It was this weird one-off video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z40CqOGzBrE&t=470s where they segue out of nowhere into talking about how edwards can't go to the hawks because he's going to have "problems" there and he needs to get out of the atlanta area asap. It was so bizarre because there was no other information from anywhere about it and all of a sudden sam vecenie & friends are talking about him like he's the leader of the bloods or whatever. Though i guess they also discuss lamelo's "entitlement issues" so maybe it was all rumormongering

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Problems in Atlanta could just means the dude loves wings.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

the lamelo thing i get, i can follow the very stupid and tenuous thread of his dad founding a basketball league for him and liangelo to star in as being a sign of him being spoiled or whatever and his very casual relationship with man-to-man defense as not having been raised tuff enuff

but that anthony edwards stuff seems made up out of whole cloth. it’s message board level rumors poo poo and the fact that it managed to stick at all is gross

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
LaMelo did tell the Timberwolves not to draft him, which I guess is sorta entitled in the sense that most players wouldn't say "Don't pick me #1". But that's not really that bad and better to just say it outright than be pouty about your team after a couple years.

LaMelo also sorta looks like a dingus so it's easy to project on him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

LaMelo did tell the Timberwolves not to draft him,

further proof of his high basketball IQ, should have boosted his stock if anything

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1395732118223925251?s=19

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
lmao at all of the people rushing to defend the NCAA in the replies

Good for them. I still hope the age limit eventually dies, but between Ignite, this league, and the NBL next stars program there are lots of options out there now for guys who want to skip college and get paid real money.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Almost as important as getting paid real money is also being able to actually devote as much time as you want to development, as well.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

MourningView posted:

further proof of his high basketball IQ, should have boosted his stock if anything

lol

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
This makes me nervous because the "Turn kids pro at 14" thing is super sketchy in Europe. Yeah the successful ones benefit from it but in Europe there are tons of kids who wash out and are basically screwed because they were taken advantage of when they were minors and then the money they thought they'd get becoming huge never materializes.

I mean, these two are probably fine but I'm not super comfortable with "Professional League that relies on hiring literal children" as a operating modul.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

This makes me nervous because the "Turn kids pro at 14" thing is super sketchy in Europe. Yeah the successful ones benefit from it but in Europe there are tons of kids who wash out and are basically screwed because they were taken advantage of when they were minors and then the money they thought they'd get becoming huge never materializes.

I mean, these two are probably fine but I'm not super comfortable with "Professional League that relies on hiring literal children" as a operating modul.

I mean plenty of kids wash out in college and make $0 doing it. If you can make six figures for a couple years in what is most likely a much better developmental environment that seems good. There are going to be busts in any system that's just the nature of projecting basketball players, it's hard to do when they're in their 20s too

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
Am I reading that wrong or are they foregoing their senior year of high school to play in this league?

Although I guess for a lot of top prospects they go to basketball academies that are basically like a team.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

JackBandit posted:

Am I reading that wrong or are they foregoing their senior year of high school to play in this league?

Although I guess for a lot of top prospects they go to basketball academies that are basically like a team.

That is correct yes though there isn't any reason they can't keep going to school in some capacity, they just wouldn't be eligible to play high school basketball.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Lockback posted:

It’s a massive problem in football. Many washouts are unequipped for life after and tend to end up on the streets or prison. Very very similar to discharged military veterans. A Man City youngster hanged himself earlier this year... he was 18, I believe

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MourningView posted:

I mean plenty of kids wash out in college and make $0 doing it. If you can make six figures for a couple years in what is most likely a much better developmental environment that seems good. There are going to be busts in any system that's just the nature of projecting basketball players, it's hard to do when they're in their 20s too

I mean, I don't think the NCAA system is very good either and when I look at it I don't think "Hmm, this should apply to younger people, literal children!" even if there is money.

This league is claiming everyone will make $100k+ but I am very skeptical of that long term and I think the risk of exploitation is way higher when you're talking about 16 year olds vs 18 year olds attached to a college (And it still happens a lot in college!). It may be arbitrary but it seems like "Don't let people under the age of 18 work in professional leagues instead of school" is a pretty good policy.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i think that exposing children under 18 to full time professional work in the vain hope that they might be able to play pro basketball and tacking on all the expectations that come with that is bad

it’s like 50/50 that one and dones are even emotionally prepared for the rigors of professional basketball. i don’t want to clutch my pearls about The Children but after a certain point i think it infringes on the process of growing up

developmentally i’m not too sure about it either; i assume it’s gonna be a lot of extra mileage when these kids are still growing and it’s not going to be varied development

i also understand that many of these kids have grown up in economically precarious situations and it’s not really an option for them to refuse six figures, but if anything that’s another argument for why it’s exploitative

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Declan MacManus posted:

i think that exposing children under 18 to full time professional work in the vain hope that they might be able to play pro basketball and tacking on all the expectations that come with that is bad

it’s like 50/50 that one and dones are even emotionally prepared for the rigors of professional basketball. i don’t want to clutch my pearls about The Children but after a certain point i think it infringes on the process of growing up

developmentally i’m not too sure about it either; i assume it’s gonna be a lot of extra mileage when these kids are still growing and it’s not going to be varied development

i also understand that many of these kids have grown up in economically precarious situations and it’s not really an option for them to refuse six figures, but if anything that’s another argument for why it’s exploitative

16 year olds can go into full time professional work.

I'd be fine with that being the cut off age wise.

Most 16 year olds who'd be going into this have been in "professional" basketball since like 12 or so if they were someone who's been scouted. AAU travel teams, training with private trainers etc etc.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think Dexo is right here. Some of these kids are playing on AAU teams, local rec teams and in school. Sixteen is when everyone else can work in the US so why not these people?

I do worry about not getting a high school degree just because the extreme prejudice in our society when it comes to people without high school degrees, I don't think high school degrees actually matter or most people actually learn much in high school, but the struggle without a degree is real. So I guess that should be an element somehow.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I'll third it. The top kids get filtered away from real schools and into academically dubious christian academies with 82 students, most of whom are just there to give the impression it's a real school and not a front for a country traveling elite basketball team. If you're going to remove the lie from that situation and compensate kids in a way that can seriously change their families lives, that's not bad.

I don't understand why investors would be investing, though. I don't think prep basketball, even if it's pro prep basketball will ever be a lucrative draw. The NBA has market power to refuse any kind of large buyout. Maybe the idea is to make it so that 10 players in every draft are getting paid a buyout, and say make 15m a year? Is it about getting sponsorship money from shoe companies?

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Dejan Bimble posted:

I don't understand why investors would be investing

The fed is shoveling trillions of dollars to investors

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
More and more kids are going to go to these types of leagues. If they flame out, they made 100k+ or so. They can now pay for college if they need to. Or they have already blown it all on cars and will now have learned a huge lesson about financial mgmt. Or they used it to help family. gently caress NCAAB, so I just see it as winwinwin.

Edit: draft stuff - I think Im feeling Giddey gonna continue climbing. When I first learned of him in Octoberish, I saw (and thought) "cool prospect to take @30". Dude is legit. Dude is fun. That's all I need. If OKC can't grab Cade, I'd love him.

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 24, 2021

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I know Vlade is garbage but if any of you wonder how Luka fell a new Yahoo mock draft has Jalen Green #1

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WhyteRyce posted:

I know Vlade is garbage but if any of you wonder how Luka fell a new Yahoo mock draft has Jalen Green #1

grats to brolic on his new job

e: that mock has Davion Mitchell going 7, Kispert in the lottery, and Johnny Juzang in the first round, woof

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 24, 2021

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MourningView posted:

e: that mock has Davion Mitchell going 7, Kispert in the lottery, and Johnny Juzang in the first round, woof

Eww. Drop all those by 10 spots.

At least they have the #2 or 3 guy at #1. Not like Williams or Boston or something.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Lmao at doing a team based mock and then trying to explain why the Magic really need another center to not have Mobley slide down your board. Because the team with Mo Bamba and Wendell Carter really needs another center to push them to the playoffs

Either ignore the teams and make a big board or actually look at the team's roster

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I mean you definitely should not pass on Evan Mobley for the sake of either of those guys

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 24, 2021

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Wendell Carter Jr would not stop me from drafting Evan Mobley if he's available and Cade isn't.

Might Do Suggs I suppose.

But if Mobley is the BPA then Wendell shouldn't stop you.

And I loving Love Wendell.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

MourningView posted:

lol

To be fair to myself though I had Luka as number 1 by a zillion his year

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Always draft BPA imo.

If you have multiple players you have a similar grade on available then sure don't overlap. But otherwise let everything solve itself, take BPA and be happy with two good players one you could trade later or something.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah it's why you need to do your board in tiers. If guys are on the same tier or you think the guy you already have is a similar level of prospect to BPA then sure go for need (at least with a center or point guard since it's hard to play more than one at a time with wings whatever, take a wing every year it's fine), but in this case Mobley is a different level of prospect than either of those guys and I think he's on a separate tier above everyone except Cade.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Let Mobley fall to okc actually

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

It’s really tough to sell me on a non-playmaking, non-DPOY-potential big. With Mobley I think there’s some of the latter, so I still think he’s decently interesting, but I have Cade, Green, and Suggs above him in no particular order.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Who's in y'all Lakers tier of just missed the lottery players? Kind of pointless since they will probably draft someone out of left field anyway but still good to know.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

mobley will be really good, especially in the modern nba where there aren’t a ton of guys who are as strong as he is going to be while also being fluid

mobley is also a good passer for a big man (14.1% assist rate, better than kat and embiid in college): https://mobile.twitter.com/SKPearlm...00%2Fframe.html

if cade wasn’t in this draft mobley would be an easy #1 pick imo

MourningView posted:

johnny juzang is Good Actually (i still wouldn’t take him until the end of the first)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

johnny juzang is Good Actually (i still wouldn’t take him until the end of the first)

he does nothing off ball and he's not good enough for an nba team to let him dribble around for 20 seconds and then jack up a pull up mid range jumper like UCLA does

straight up brolic posted:

It’s really tough to sell me on a non-playmaking, non-DPOY-potential big. With Mobley I think there’s some of the latter, so I still think he’s decently interesting, but I have Cade, Green, and Suggs above him in no particular order.

He's a very good playmaker for a big and definitely had DPOTY potential. There are not many guys that big who move the way he does or have those kinds of ball skills. He was an incredibly dominant college defender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Rick posted:

Who's in y'all Lakers tier of just missed the lottery players? Kind of pointless since they will probably draft someone out of left field anyway but still good to know.

assuming they want guards, you’re looking at guys like sharife cooper, james bouknight, moses moody, and ziaire williams