Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PT6A posted:

Right, I'm just saying that the 737MAX situation works out a lot differently if Boeing weren't also a defense contractor. They, uh, do rather more than just build airliners.

In this situation I think defense contractor doesn’t matter as much as them being the last American civilian airliner manufacturer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

hobbesmaster posted:

In this situation I think defense contractor doesn’t matter as much as them being the last American civilian airliner manufacturer.

Po-tay-to, po-tah-to. Those things aren't unrelated.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

withak posted:

The regulations that Uber flouts are piddly-rear end local taxi laws and labor laws that most of the business world would love to get rid of anyway. The FAA is a different animal.

I contend that Uber’s launch (in SF Bay Area) worked mainly because the SF Taxi service (at that time) was the worst I have encountered in the USA.

Uber was a big step up in reliability and the quality of the cars.

At least when it started.

I think the first time I used them was to get from SFO to a VC on Sand Hill Rd for the iFund thing in 2008. Back when it was text message based.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

I contend that Uber’s launch (in SF Bay Area) worked mainly because the SF Taxi service (at that time) was the worst I have encountered in the USA.

100% agreed. The taxi services were even releasing apps around this time and I had maybe a 25% success rate for a cab actually showing up when hailed with any of their apps.

The SF taxi experience for me can be pretty well summarized in things like getting into one at SFO and asking to go the the Ferry Building and the driver needing an address to find it. Or on multiple occasions having a GPS handed to me to put in my destination because the driver didn't speak english well enough to even have that much of a conversation.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

VideoGameVet posted:

Uber was a big step up in reliability and the quality of the cars.

At least when it started.

I think the first time I used them was to get from SFO to a VC on Sand Hill Rd for the iFund thing in 2008. Back when it was text message based.

For me it is the Vegas reroute. A mile-long cab ride that will cost somewhere between $8 and $45!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Train firm’s ‘worker bonus’ email is actually cybersecurity test

I'm absolutely positive I remember reading about this happening a few months ago. Is the Guardian really behind the times on this or did this train company notice the previous scheme and decide it was such a great idea and received so well that they just had to copy it?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

TACD posted:

I'm absolutely positive I remember reading about this happening a few months ago. Is the Guardian really behind the times on this or did this train company notice the previous scheme and decide it was such a great idea and received so well that they just had to copy it?

Godaddy was the company that did that a few months ago.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

TACD posted:

They probably hired another company to do the test. Maybe the same company as the last time it happened.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
That sort of email is terrible for all kinds of reasons but I bet the catch rate on it was sky high. It really is an excellent way to see what your actual phishing risk is as long as you don't care about the huge blowback you're going to get from angry employees.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

TACD posted:

That is what an actual phishing attack looks like. It's scummy, manipulative, and gets credulous people's hopes up because that's how phishing works.

Just like what happened at GoDaddy, running that test was a very bad idea, but only because the company's existing policies around payroll communication were already terrible. They should have systems in place that make it very clear to employees what's an official communication, and what's a forgery, so that the fake "bonus announcement" is as obviously fake as a guy in the parking lot who says "I'm here to give you a bonus, just write down your name, salary, social security number, birthdate, credit score, and payroll password on my clipboard."

The General
Mar 4, 2007

DIdn't GoDaddy do it around Christmas? I don't really care eitherway about fake phising emails to catch dumb employees being dumb, but I don't think the extra stress is really warranted during Christmas.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Space Gopher posted:

That is what an actual phishing attack looks like. It's scummy, manipulative, and gets credulous people's hopes up because that's how phishing works.

Just like what happened at GoDaddy, running that test was a very bad idea, but only because the company's existing policies around payroll communication were already terrible. They should have systems in place that make it very clear to employees what's an official communication, and what's a forgery, so that the fake "bonus announcement" is as obviously fake as a guy in the parking lot who says "I'm here to give you a bonus, just write down your name, salary, social security number, birthdate, credit score, and payroll password on my clipboard."

Does it say what their policies around payroll communications were?

In either event, I think the way to handle this (just like the GoDaddy thing) is to say: "everyone's getting the bonus anyway, but if you fell for the phishing e-mail, you're also going to go for re-training because this represents an unacceptable security risk. Phishing e-mails will attempt to manipulate you in exactly this way!"

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

CFox posted:

That sort of email is terrible for all kinds of reasons but I bet the catch rate on it was sky high. It really is an excellent way to see what your actual phishing risk is as long as you don't care about the huge blowback you're going to get from angry employees.

You can avoid the blowback by giving them the bonus as well as using it as a learning process. Maybe the ones that fail the test get the bonus after they complete a phishing webinar or something.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

MickeyFinn posted:

For me it is the Vegas reroute. A mile-long cab ride that will cost somewhere between $8 and $45!

There’s a reason the monorail ends at the MGM Grand. Because if it ran to McCarran the taxis would lose all that sweet overcharging CES revenue.

That town is so drat corrupt.

But the taxis were way better than SF.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

PT6A posted:

Does it say what their policies around payroll communications were?

No, but we can assume that they were inadequate based on the outcome. If they had good communication and security policies backed up at every level of the organization, then a "free bonus inside, click here to claim" phishing test wouldn't be cruel misdirection, it'd be an obvious fake.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Space Gopher posted:

No, but we can assume that they were inadequate based on the outcome. If they had good communication and security policies backed up at every level of the organization, then a "free bonus inside, click here to claim" phishing test wouldn't be cruel misdirection, it'd be an obvious fake.

I don't mean this in a rude way, but have you ever dealt with providing IT services to people without an IT background themselves?

Yeah, I'm sure I'll be able to tell the guy who still manually puts a line break at the end of every email line how to detect a real vs. fake communication.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I've gotten emails that appeared to be phishing emails that turned out to be real. Coworker got this email out of the blue promising us very cheap machined parts (seemingly impossible prices), full of spelling errors and poo poo.

He clicked the link, which pointed to a shady lookong website and bought some parts on the company card . . . And they turned out to be legit and now are a supplier for us. But I never stop giving him poo poo for clicking on what looked like an obvious scam or phishing attempt.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My bank, after years of the usual WE WILL NEVER SEND YOU MAIL ASKING FOR YOUR ACCOUNT NUMBER ... did just that.

So, this happened
https://twitter.com/sarthakgh/status/1392176703011762183

I am counting the hours to the behind-the-scenes expose about why the CEO chose this particular moment to announce that the company wasn't a family, and this was important so that they could fire people.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Remember that company that Travis Kalanick founded that kept hemorrhaging execs over an almost comical amount of misconduct allegations? No not that one, the other one.

https://twitter.com/MeghanEMorris/status/1391896784738390024

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i mean that whole thing was ridiculous and even shadier than uber from what i read about it
but

when the gently caress did i miss them getting a 5bil valuation??

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
they earned that valuation when they created cloudkitchencoin, duh

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
cloudkitchencoin - I truly cannot tell if this is a joke or not and I'm not googling it because if the answer is 'yes' I'm going to weep for humanity.

I like the idea behind cloud kitchens - cooking spaces to rent out in cities to help businesses with overflow on their deliveries. Or, to allow people who only want to deliver and not worry about all the bullshit which comes from running a restaurant.

Is it a $5billion idea, though? l o loving l.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i mean i am theoretically not against the idea of a cloud kitchen but iirc he was doing the same thing uber did and ignoring all sorts of industry regulation regarding kitchens and zoning and other poo poo when they first launched which i guess should surprise nobody.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Catering kitchens and poo poo already exist - that's where a lot of food trucks do their prep - licensed prep kitchens that rent by the hour.

This is just yet another example of the tech industry taking something that already exists, removing ignoring all regulations/laws and consumer/worker safety and calling it a new idea

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Catering kitchens and poo poo already exist - that's where a lot of food trucks do their prep - licensed prep kitchens that rent by the hour.

they exist in big cities, they are not massively widespread, though. i live in a town of 500k and there is one and it's literally a carpeted basement with a coil electric stove

Tuxedo Gin posted:

This is just yet another example of the tech industry taking something that already exists, removing ignoring all regulations/laws and consumer/worker safety and calling it a new idea

absolutely true though

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The idea of cloud kitchens may not be bad but I can only imagine the reality being slapdash kitchens on rickety stilts raining down used cooking oil and butchered carcasses onto the street below.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
ah yes the Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs dark and edgy remake.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My bank, after years of the usual WE WILL NEVER SEND YOU MAIL ASKING FOR YOUR ACCOUNT NUMBER ... did just that.

So, this happened
https://twitter.com/sarthakgh/status/1392176703011762183

I am counting the hours to the behind-the-scenes expose about why the CEO chose this particular moment to announce that the company wasn't a family, and this was important so that they could fire people.

Probably because they are preparing to fire some early hires that everyone is going to get very upset about.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Betting someone unironically tried to do the Fast & Furious/Stallone Guardians of the Galaxy 2 speech during a Zoom call.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I'm imagining cloud kitchens just being someone rents out their apartment kitchen or whatever and assumes all the risk as a contractor to the "uber but for kitchens" startup. Everyone in town gets food poisoning but it can't ever be traced properly due to everything obfuscated in an app and contractor agreements and fly by night eateries.

Someone please tell me I'm like super off base.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
21th century civ's contact tracing : we dont know where its from lol.

1869: huh so this one woman worked at all these places ?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

PhazonLink posted:

21th century civ's contact tracing : we dont know where its from lol.

1869: huh so this one woman worked at all these places ?

She worked for rich people.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

poemdexter posted:

I'm imagining cloud kitchens just being someone rents out their apartment kitchen or whatever and assumes all the risk as a contractor to the "uber but for kitchens" startup. Everyone in town gets food poisoning but it can't ever be traced properly due to everything obfuscated in an app and contractor agreements and fly by night eateries.

generally speaking health officials are solid on tracing foodborne illnesses. but a key distinction is that it requires people to actually call and make complaints unless it's a real hospitalization sort of thing.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

poemdexter posted:

That one did exist but I'm not sure it ever actually launched due to the mentioned food poisoning potentials.

Rednik
Apr 10, 2005

eXXon posted:

The idea of cloud kitchens may not be bad but I can only imagine the reality being slapdash kitchens on rickety stilts raining down used cooking oil and butchered carcasses onto the street below.

Or just rebranding existing restaurants to charge more and dupe unsuspecting people ordering w the apps. I have no sympathy with Uber Eats users so this is pretty funny.

https://twitter.com/ozm/status/1263468597013291008?s=20

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Continuing the theme

https://twitter.com/AthertonKD/status/1392539147009675272

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Hell, put a tarp in the bed of your truck, fill it with water, and drive for Uber at the same time

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

that sounds like a great way to get sued when someone’s kid drowns

also if i had a pool i would let like a list of ten people use it and no one else. people are disgusting around pools

go pee in someone else’s yard puddle you degenerates

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

That's how you get your pool peed into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

https://twitter.com/TerryGotham/status/1392539342044811266