Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Apprentice Dick posted:

I used to take semi-regular trips to Ningbo for work and know the exact mall you are talking about. I am definitely trying to hit up that sushi place to see this poo poo in person next time.

You work in toys or crafts? Ever stay at the intercontinental? My boss stupidly tried ordering a vodka tonic from a waitress in the restaurant there and it took about one hour and a dozen people to figure out the request. Everyone in Ningbo is like aggressively confused.

Edit: I tried to use a credit card in a gift shop once and the cashier literally ran away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

screaden posted:

how is philly cheesesteak even a recipe, sliced steak with cheese spread on bread is what you do when you're drunk as hell at home and desperately need something in your stomach before you sleep.

The weirdest aspect is that everywhere you encounter a "Philly cheese steak" it is a beefy cheesy sandwich with green peppers. But in actual Philly, America's 5th largest city, a cheesesteak will never have green peppers. Ever! So you travel a bit and you start to question your reality. "Does a cheesesteak actually have green peppers?" The rest of the country is gaslighting Philly people. And why?? I don't know why. It's not a better sandwich with green peppers.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's nothing with onions in it that isn't improved by green peppers.

Beside also just wanting to be able to poop after eating a pound of meat, bread, and cheese but that's secondary.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i'm telling ya, if they let you swap the green peppers for jalapenos

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

zedprime posted:

There's nothing with onions in it that isn't improved by green peppers.

Beside also just wanting to be able to poop after eating a pound of meat, bread, and cheese but that's secondary.

Green peppers (all bell peppers, actually) taste like sour mold. I have no idea why anyone willingly eats them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

kntfkr posted:

You work in toys or crafts? Ever stay at the intercontinental? My boss stupidly tried ordering a vodka tonic from a waitress in the restaurant there and it took about one hour and a dozen people to figure out the request. Everyone in Ningbo is like aggressively confused.

Edit: I tried to use a credit card in a gift shop once and the cashier literally ran away.

No, I work in automotive and we have a supplier just outside the city. We always stay in the Howard Johnson on the east side of the city when we go since they have a rate deal with the supplier. We also have a interpreter/chaperone from the supplier when we leave the hotel so we don't really have any issues. We get treated really nicely because my parent company has a huge business deal with them, and one of the Japanese managers who goes with us has in laws in the upper ranks of the PLA.

I've only used cash when I go except at the hotel, and the big international chain hotel loving struggled to use my card in all but one trip.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shake Shack Japan stopped selling Chicago style hotdogs and I genuinely had a negative reaction like you would if you lost your wallet.

Philly Cheesesteaks outside of Philly are significantly better since no cheesewiz, especially with Green Peppers or Jalapenos. If I can get some mushrooms up in that even better.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I had a NYC dirty water hot dog and it loving sucked rear end. It was like a Bar-S hotdog on a half torn bun. I'm still really upset about that and I am completely convinced I just went to the wrong hot dog cart. No way it could be that bad.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Hot dog carts are gone in NYC they're all halal carts now and they're amazing

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Barudak posted:

Shake Shack Japan stopped selling Chicago style hotdogs and I genuinely had a negative reaction like you would if you lost your wallet.

Philly Cheesesteaks outside of Philly are significantly better since no cheesewiz, especially with Green Peppers or Jalapenos. If I can get some mushrooms up in that even better.

I get my cheesesteak wiz no onions and mushrooms and no one bats an eye

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Barudak posted:

Mushrooms on a cheesesteak bump it up to another level.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

20 Blunts posted:

do you really have to put cheese wiz on a philly? that poo poo looks like the opposite of what i want to put on any decent meat i purchase

though i kinda think it would be fun to get some sodium citrate like the serious eats mac n cheese recipe, get some quality cheddar or gouda or something and make "homemade" cheese wiz for cheese steaks

It works. It hits the flavor profile. Don't question what works.

But sure, why not? It's your goddamned steak.

Dandywalken posted:

Nah wiz def isnt mandatory
It isn't, but if you're going to be going to go for duplicating it, or if it's your first ever, it's best to go for the benchmark first.

Once you have a sense of the flavor & texture profile, Then go wild.

zedprime posted:

I don't know if the chipped fried meat is necessarily meant to be decent meat. It's a few extra chops away from being downright loose.
No. Don't gently caress with the meat.

It's ribeye, and it's chipped. Nothing else tastes right.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Play posted:

St Louis, MO is the worst city in all of America and I will not be convinced otherwise

We do a mean pork steak.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Thank you cheese steak sensei. I was getting really worried someone was going to take me seriously and use chipped round instead for their trash drunk food sandwich.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Hot dog carts are gone in NYC they're all halal carts now and they're amazing

Still got Gray's Papaya motherfuckerrrrrr

no cart can contain the Papaya that belongs to Gray

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Is there a name for the psychological phenomenon that is getting really particular about sandwiches?

I wanted to be very sanctimonious about this not happening in the culinary capital of the US, Louisiana, because our main dishes are like sure, add a raccoon, it'll probably be fine. But then I remembered there are fights about the correct bread for a po boy which is otherwise the least creative sandwich you could put together in New Orleans.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The cheesesteaks were fine. Obviously not exactly Philly but they met expectations.

Things I learned:

- Thin out the wiz somehow. It was delicious but too thick even after heating it up

- Next time get mushrooms. I'm a moron for forgetting that

- Use a flat grill to cook the meat next time. We just got a new outdoor grill and I don't think to use it yet lol. I think it has a flat grill attachment/option

- I know green peppers aren't a thing with cheesesteaks but my wife and I like them. First sandwich had just onions and wiz but I made another half sandwich and added peppers and it was fine

They will definitely be better next time.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
changing things about a regional food to make it better is not praxis. some philly goon that's never left the state before will arrive soon to murder you. please stand by

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Aardvark! posted:

changing things about a regional food to make it better is not praxis. some philly goon that's never left the state before will arrive soon to murder you. please stand by

If they leave the state they'll lose their seal of authenticity.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Aardvark! posted:

joke's on them. i won't be home because i'm currently traveling around murdering people who don't make authentic chicago style hot dogs

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
put the ketchup DOWN, sir

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
That's Commonwealth, outsider!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/gordieparmesan/status/1392357585630633987

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Authentic Philly Steak Mouth Feel.

Probably too long for a user name.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The saline tang of the pink flesh has been the ruin of many a poor boy
And god, I know, I'm one.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Philly sandwich fans are brutal

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
authenticity is a fake idea. that said, low intensity slap fights about regional food preferences can be entertaining.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

hawowanlawow posted:

Philly sandwich fans are brutal

they got some passionate fans

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Big Beef City posted:

The saline tang of the pink flesh has been the ruin of many a poor boy
And god, I know, I'm one.

Lol

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

is that a Philly pocket? Would

i was gonna post earlier there's a place here that does a really good philly calzone with green peppers

and "ranch sauce"

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Oh man, The Newark Puss Ball, a real 'Regional Treat'

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
As a sandwich anarchist the philly cheese orb is extremely my jam.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
ah yes, shopkeep, i would like to place an order for 1 dozen oozing wads.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Getting precious about the laziest possible concoction is pure Philly. Throw up on a toddler on purpose, whip a battery at Santa Claus and eat a fistful of dumb. Philadelphia!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I would say this term describes itself but that would probably be hypocritical

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Throw up on a toddler on purpose,

Hey that guy was from New Jersey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Aardvark! posted:

Praxis blew up.

Didn't you see Star Trek 6 The Undiscovered Country?