Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MariannaReports/status/1392759516513685504

I'd say expel her but she'd probably just get re-elected. I don't know how you solve this problem, since the solution to this problem is "this kind of behavior is disqualifying for office". The whole point of her thing is to get this article written, she's not on any committees, she doesn't file any legislation, she just walks up to House Dems with a high national profile and starts screaming at them in public. And I bet her constituents love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/MariannaReports/status/1392759516513685504

I'd say expel her but she'd probably just get re-elected. I don't know how you solve this problem, since the solution to this problem is "this kind of behavior is disqualifying for office". The whole point of her thing is to get this article written, she's not on any committees, she doesn't file any legislation, she just walks up to House Dems with a high national profile and starts screaming at them in public. And I bet her constituents love it.

There's plenty of grounds for expelling Greene due to conduct and security concerns, and then doing it again if she was re-elected. Congress has no obligation to tolerate maniacs.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kaal posted:

There's plenty of grounds for expelling Greene due to conduct and security concerns, and then doing it again if she was re-elected. Congress has no obligation to tolerate maniacs.

I think part of the issue is that the number of votes needed to expel her is greater than the number of Democrats in the House because the Republicans are spineless fash-sympathizers who will never vote to expel her when it's a lot easier to blame Liz Cheney for things.

EDIT: Well that and they're currently trying to gaslight us about how the Capitol Riot was actually just a guided tour and people were invited despite there being obvious video of it being a terrorist insurrection.
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1392812013001318402

I am so loving tired.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 13, 2021

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Eric Cantonese posted:

I'm still worried about Democratic voter turnout, though.
Consider two motivators: The wide approval of Biden for getting poo poo done. And fearing the ghost of Trump. How the Dems will manage those messages will be key factors for turnout besides whatever dark horses spring from fascist AEA.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My dumb state is actually not nearly close to the top of this list

https://twitter.com/GasBuddyGuy/status/1392543691752017924?s=20

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Expelling MTG is almost certainly off the table. I think it is pointless to even argue for it at this point. There is no political will to do it on either side. She’s already effectively neutered by being a freshman congresswoman in the minority in the House. Even trying to turn the wheels to start the process of expelling her is going to give her a platform she could never achieve on her own, and it would play into the Republican’s current messaging strategy of screaming “Cancel Culture!” every time they are accused of something. Just let her be an albatross for her own party.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Virginia went nuts, I drove through Nova Tuesday night and saw double digit lines outside of gas stations. Then I got to DC 30 minutes later and the station down the street was offering 2.60 gas.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FlamingLiberal posted:

Gas prices rose 2 cents nationally (although, it was up to 6 cents in some places) and there was no reduction in actual gasoline available.

People are crazy.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Though I wouldn't count on it, I expect she might face a strong primary challenge if someone can walk the line of crazy enough to not alienate the chudlier bits of the base while messaging that she's both embarrassing them as a district and has rendered herself unable to represent them by her own actions.

Just keep giving her rope to hang herself, do what can be done to mitigate harm, and let it be a problem that sorts itself out.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

ReidRansom posted:

Though I wouldn't count on it, I expect she might face a strong primary challenge if someone can walk the line of crazy enough to not alienate the chudlier bits of the base while messaging that she's both embarrassing them as a district and has rendered herself unable to represent them by her own actions.

Just keep giving her rope to hang herself, do what can be done to mitigate harm, and let it be a problem that sorts itself out.

Given what the Democrat in her district went through, it sounds like it's a pretty horrible district. :(

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/10/17/kevin-van-ausdal-qanon-marjorie-greene-georgia/

It sounds like the guy who the Democrats nominated was not meant to run for any kind of public office, but still...

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Gas prices rose 2 cents nationally (although, it was up to 6 cents in some places) and there was no reduction in actual gasoline available.

People are crazy.

I think a big factor in all this is also the precariousness of a lot of people's lives. You're in a position where you have a hard time paying for gas to begin with, you depend on driving long distances for work/groceries/taking the kids places, and you hear that the price of gas might skyrocket because of an emergency, so naturally you run to the gas station to fill up your tank. Maybe your gas cans too if you have some. It's understandable behavior.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
In the next step of our weird fascist takeover of the Republican party/personal psychodrama involving Donald J. Trump: Cheney says she is open to running for President in 2024 - but, only if Trump runs.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/cheney-hasnt-ruled-out-a-presidential-bid

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 13, 2021

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
They really don't mind saying the quiet part out loud these days

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1392837004350484492

Ethnonationalism has always been a conservative thing, but they used to not say it so openly.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Ethnonationalism has always been a conservative thing, but they used to not say it so openly.

"Home country"

From the same geniuses who brought you "Go back to Africa!" and "Go back to China!"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

That seems like a genuine slip to me, like it's what he genuinely thinks and he has no sense that anyone would object to him saying it.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Insurrectum posted:

"Home country"

"Why don't you go back to Africa?" for American Jews, basically

It's more that they see Israel as an ethnostate and want one here as well. It's dual loyalty antisemitism tropes all the way down

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

People are crazy.

Have you considered that this is all Biden's fault? The Washington Post has talked to a bunch of Republicans and they're saying it is!

Biden administration struggles to limit political damage from gas shortage

quote:

In Congress, Republicans seized on Biden’s moves to transition away from fossil fuels, suggesting it imperils the country’s energy security. On Fox News, conservative hosts have blamed the president for rising prices at the pump and long lines of cars snaking around gas stations, with one dubbing it “Biden’s gas crisis.” And in midterm battleground states where gas is running low, Republican leaders have panned Biden’s response.

"These are all lies of course but Republicans said them and you can't say they didn't say them."

quote:

“Just when Americans are starting to come awake again, they cannot find the gasoline to drive from where they are to where they want to go,” said former congressman Tom Davis of Virginia, a longtime Republican strategist.“ I think people recognize Biden didn’t create this problem,” Davis added, “but Trump didn’t create covid-19 either, did he?”

Are you loving kidding me. I guess it's good that this quote is attributed to an actual GOP party hack and not an undecided swing voter.

quote:

On Wednesday, a parade of Republicans sounded similar notes.

“We really do need the federal government to step up,” said Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R), who declared a state of emergency to free up more fuel to be delivered through alternative means.

“It shouldn’t take a hack/shutdown for this admin to recognize the importance of modern infrastructure like #KeystoneXL to ensure U.S. energy security,” tweeted Senate Minority Whip John Thune (R-S.D.).

Sen. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.) made a similar point, tweeting, “America is facing a gas shortage. We need to get the Colonial pipeline back to work, and the Keystone pipeline back to construction.”

Thune and Blackburn were referring to Biden’s decision to rescind the permit for construction of the Keystone XL oil pipeline. That pipeline would carry oil from Canada through Western and Midwestern states, and there’s no evidence a different policy would have changed matters following the ransomware attack on Colonial Pipeline.

Oh the author of this article seems aware that the GOP is lying, but couches it in this way.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

zoux posted:

Have you considered that this is all Biden's fault? The Washington Post has talked to a bunch of Republicans and they're saying it is!

Biden administration struggles to limit political damage from gas shortage

They're so desperate for anything at this point to attack Biden with and they're hoping this sticks but it seems like the only people taking the bait are chuds as per usual. Too early to tell but I have my doubts this will be the one neat trick the GOP rolls out that actually lands.

It likely helps that there was no real shortage either and it was mostly manifested by idiots hoarding gasoline. We'll see soon enough.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

They're so desperate for anything at this point to attack Biden with and they're hoping this sticks but it seems like the only people taking the bait are chuds as per usual. Too early to tell but I have my doubts this will be the one neat trick the GOP rolls out that actually lands.

It likely helps that there was no real shortage either and it was mostly manifested by idiots hoarding gasoline. We'll see soon enough.

The problem is over like, next week at the latest.

https://twitter.com/crampell/status/1392827275004026882

Seems like we might get to a de facto $15 min. wage after all.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 13, 2021

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
this is a foundational lie, not a specific lie. it is to reinforce the idea that biden is bad for the economy and keep that impression alive, long after the specific problem is over and the specific claim is proven false

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/crampell/status/1392827275004026882

Seems like we might get to a de facto $15 min. wage after all.

That's only like... 5% of McDonald's locations in the USA. We'll see if franchised locations or other fast food restaurants follow suit, but it's far from a massive win for workers at McDonald's/fast food in general.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kalit posted:

That's only like... 5% of McDonald's locations in the USA. We'll see if franchised locations or other fast food restaurants follow suit, but it's far from a massive win for workers at McDonald's/fast food in general.

True, but Chipotle and Amazon doing the same will hopefully exert upward pressure on wages. If McDs did this at all it would pretty much force all the other fast food restaurants' hands wouldn't it?

https://twitter.com/WilliamTurton/status/1392847175693049865

Jesus christ, we're about to see a wave of these aren't we

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

zoux posted:

True, but Chipotle and Amazon doing the same will hopefully exert upward pressure on wages. If McDs did this at all it would pretty much force all the other fast food restaurants' hands wouldn't it?

They've been going on all over the place for years now. This one is only exceptional because it accidentally caught up infrastructure that is going to get the hackers black bagged. Hope they live it up with that money in the meantime

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

zoux posted:

These attacks have been going on for a while. I'm just surprised that the journalist was able to get sources to leak that the payments had been made.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

They've been going on all over the place for years now. This one is only exceptional because it accidentally caught up infrastructure that is going to get the hackers black bagged. Hope they live it up with that money in the meantime

Eric Cantonese posted:

These attacks have been going on for a while. I'm just surprised that the journalist was able to get sources to leak that the payments had been made.

Is the size of the ransom paid unusual?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

So the pipeline company had no secure backups or what? How the gently caress do you get ransomwared that hard?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Ransomware is one of the biggest uses of cryptocurrency these days, it makes it much easier and less risky to turn hacking into money. Just another reason to ban it, really. And to invest in your IT department

Slowpoke! posted:

Expelling MTG is almost certainly off the table. I think it is pointless to even argue for it at this point. There is no political will to do it on either side. She’s already effectively neutered by being a freshman congresswoman in the minority in the House. Even trying to turn the wheels to start the process of expelling her is going to give her a platform she could never achieve on her own, and it would play into the Republican’s current messaging strategy of screaming “Cancel Culture!” every time they are accused of something. Just let her be an albatross for her own party.

So, what, we have to wait until she actually assaults and injures someone? Are we sure she isn't sneaking a gun onto the floor any more?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

zoux posted:

I honestly have no idea, I'm far from an economics expert. I suspect it would definitely help if McD's mandated all of its locations to raise its starting wages. Although, $11 is still quite a bit less than $15 too.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

punishedkissinger posted:

So the pipeline company had no secure backups or what? How the gently caress do you get ransomwared that hard?

They did have backups, which makes this even more confusing:

quote:

Once they received the payment, the hackers provided the operator with a decrypting tool to restore its disabled computer network. The tool was so slow that the company continued using its own backups to help restore the system, one of the people familiar with the company’s efforts said.

E: Whoops, sorry for the double post

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

haveblue posted:

Ransomware is one of the biggest uses of cryptocurrency these days, it makes it much easier and less risky to turn hacking into money. Just another reason to ban it, really. And to invest in your IT department

So, what, we have to wait until she actually assaults and injures someone? Are we sure she isn't sneaking a gun onto the floor any more?

Waiting until a problem has festered into a full blown crisis to address it is the American way, after all

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

zoux posted:

Is the size of the ransom paid unusual?

It depends on the size of the business. Most of the amounts I see are smaller, but I think that's because the victims themselves were smaller.

punishedkissinger posted:

If all your data has been encrypted and you're locked out of your main computer setup, you're potentially in a situation of having to replace physical server equipment or otherwise migrating to an alternate source of capacity. Even in the best of times, you really cannot avoid the disruption.

I wouldn't be surprised if a non-tech business like Colonial Pipeline was also not particularly deep on in-house equipment or technical knowledge so their set-up may not have been up to snuff.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

You know these ransomware attacks are just another example of why I’m deeply mistrustful of “the internet of things”. If we go in that direction, one day everything is gonna be networked with cameras and microphones for no reason and your life won’t be able to go on without the tech.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kraftwerk posted:

You know these ransomware attacks are just another example of why I’m deeply mistrustful of “the internet of things”. If we go in that direction, one day everything is gonna be networked with cameras and microphones for no reason and your life won’t be able to go on without the tech.

I got bad news for you.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

I really don't get the need for absolutely everything to be networked either, but I'm beginning to feel like Grandpa Simpson yelling at a cloud (drumroll) when I bring it up.

I guess there's convenience for certain things if you can run them remotely, but it often seems like a solution searching for a problem. I bought a sous-vide for my brother in law and it had wi-fi capacity.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
https://twitter.com/9_tellthetruth/status/1392850156589047809

"Biden's" gas crisis!!!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Eric Cantonese posted:

I really don't get the need for absolutely everything to be networked either, but I'm beginning to feel like Grandpa Simpson yelling at a cloud (drumroll) when I bring it up.

Given trends, refrigerators-as-a-service wouldn't surprise me.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

zoux posted:

Given trends, refrigerators-as-a-service wouldn't surprise me.

Most refrigerators already have very annoying warning lights that you can't turn off without changing filters or other parts that probably didn't really need changing. I can't wait for a more computerized version of that setup by Silicon Valley's finest.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

zoux posted:

Amazon I believe did bump its starting wage to $15 but Chipotle surreptitiously is making its AVERAGE wage $15 an hour, by having hourly crew earn $11 to $18. So it seems the current tack for restaurants will be to bump their pay slightly so they can claim the average is $15 even if very few people are making $15 or even the $17 or $18 they claim, based on whatever arbitrary criteria they set. It's the new "Earn up to $17 an hour!" signs you used to see all over the place but they would never hire people at that actual amount and it usually involved tips or overtime or second shift or other factors. McDonald's must be following suit with a test run there with their "$11 to $17" at a handful of locations and it's apparently working for the narrative because people believe they're raising their pay to $15 flat. If you see how they also list minimum supervisor wages for McDonald's, Chipotle is also bragging about how you could earn $100k a year by becoming a general manager, but again, how many people are going to be promoted to a managerial position and how many are going to actually earn that much? It's dangling the carrot of "what you could have if you work hard enough" but will still be unobtainable for the majority of workers and giving them less than they deserve. The fight's not over, but I worry people will accept this as "good enough" and trip up momentum, which is probably their strategy.

https://fox8.com/news/chipotle-increasing-average-wage-to-15-per-hour/

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Eric Cantonese posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if a non-tech business like Colonial Pipeline was also not particularly deep on in-house equipment or technical knowledge so their set-up may not have been up to snuff.

Few energy companies have any significant technical sophistication. It's a physical business and a huge chunk of them see investment in physical assets as a necessary evil, technology is just a cost center where you spend the minimum to get by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Abandoned Toaster posted:

It's dangling the carrot of "what you could have if you work hard enough" but will still be unobtainable for the majority of workers and giving them less than they deserve. The fight's not over, but I worry people will accept this as "good enough" and trip up momentum, which is probably their strategy.

I actually disagree with this, at least in the sense of the end goal being to discourage a min wage increase. If you as a company have already raised you wage to $11, then a national min wage increase to exactly $11 is not very harmful to you. You don't need to do any scrambling to adjust to the new status quo, but your competitors do, and some of the poorly-run ones will go out of business, increasing your market share. Further, fast food like McDonalds gets huge dividends from ending the alternative minimums - it's a double whammy, because a small but significant number of their consumers would have more propensity to spend and it likely runs some number of fast-casual competitors out of business and marginally raises prices on the rest, making one of their big selling points (cheaper than sit-down) more pronounced.

This is sort of like the general trend of big tech companies become pro-regulation, because it creates a barrier to entry for potential competitors. As I recall, this was a major divide during the last net neutrality fight