Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

zoux posted:

I thought that CANSas thing was fake?

It is, the quote in the second image isn't in the NYT article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I'm wearing my mask until my kids are fully vaxxed (which will hopefully be in about five/six weeks) and my in laws have arrived from Thailand and gotten fully Pfizered (they're talking about getting AZ before hopping on a plane just for SOME protection).

So like by July I should be done assuming no horrible variants spawn in the meantime from this premature asinine policy.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

Here's the thing: if after getting vaccinated people still have to wear masks and follow social distancing rules for an an interminable amount of time, then there's no real incentive for them get vaccinated, because people in general are selfish and only want what is going to help them, personally.

It provides incentive for then to just claim they are vaccinated, which they will do.

People were tired of masks and now they dont have to wear them, it's as simple as that. Expect the TSA to be the focus of the next round of OP-eds as they force passengers to wear masks still going forward.

There doesnt need to be and indeed is not any 12D greater calculation or strategy here because the anti-vaxx and anti-mask people have been doing this the whole time

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

zoux posted:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Palm Beach planning for possibility of Trump indictment:

quote:

Officials in Palm Beach, Fla., are reportedly considering a course of action should former President Trump be indicted by Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance Jr. while he is staying at Mar-a-Lago.

According to Politico, law enforcement officials in the town have discussed how to handle a possible extradition if Trump is indicted by authorities investigating whether he committed banking and tax fraud.

The news outlet notes Trump's location would affect potential extradition proceedings, as Florida's extradition statute gives Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) the ability to intervene and determine whether someone should be surrendered to out-of-state law enforcement.

“The statute leaves room for interpretation that the governor has the power to order a review and potentially not comply with the extradition notice,” Joseph Abruzzo, circuit court clerk of Palm Beach County, told Politico.

Abruzzo is reportedly a former associate of President Biden's younger brother, Frank, but he told the outlet that “the full extent of the law will be followed and carried out appropriately, without bias.”

If Trump travels to Bedminster, N.J., as Mar-a-Lago closes for the season, however, his prospects could change. The state has a similar statute to Florida, but the governor, Democrat Phil Murphy, is not an ardent supporter of Trump like DeSantis is, Politico noted.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Trump being trapped in Florida all summer would be freaking awesome.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Also HOLY SHI-

https://twitter.com/imillhiser/status/1392920863872327686?s=20

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

eviltastic posted:

Yeah my reaction is surprise that this would change much behavior, since they've already ditched the masks anyway.

From a few pages back but, unfortunately, you're wrong.

Maybe in deep red states.

I live and work in Seattle. My state is weird and while it reliably votes blue it has a very deeply entrenched, very chuddy element. I work in retail. In the months following partial re-opens we had to chase people down for not wearing masks. Those were some of the worst weeks of my life. People would come in with no mask AND a gun on their hip (guess what? WA is an open-carry state! Wheee!). I had some terrible arguments with people during that time.

And they got over it.

I maybe fight with like one person a week about masks now, which is much less of a big deal, and I can count the number of times I've had to call security since November on one hand.

Many of these people learned to play along. I know it's a common belief that people are either stupid chuds or not but many of them are normal-seeming people that can blend in, and many of them have. They wear the mask, they hate it, they let it slip under their nose or whatever but they do it so they can keep shopping without hassle.

They will absolutely lie about it. Every time there's a new wedge, they will apply it, because it feels like victory for them. It will be cathartic to feel like they can do something to *me* now that I can't do anything about it.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

I honestly expected this to be an Onion article when I clicked the link. I can't imagine Trump actually getting charged without it being thrown out by the courts.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

zoux posted:

Yeah that’s a fake screencap, the article doesn’t mention it at all.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Kalit posted:

I honestly expected this to be an Onion article when I clicked the link. I can't imagine Trump actually getting charged without it being thrown out by the courts.
Turns out the Manhattan Prosecutor JUST GOT HIS TAX RETURNS

quote:

NEW YORK — A New York prosecutor has obtained copies of Donald Trump’s tax records after the Supreme Court this week rejected the former president’s last-ditch effort to prevent them from being handed over.

The Manhattan district attorney’s office enforced a subpoena on Trump’s accounting firm within hours of the Supreme Court’s ruling on Monday and now has the documents in hand, a spokesperson for the office, Danny Frost, said Thursday.

District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance Jr. had been fighting for a year and a half for access to Trump’s tax records for a criminal grand jury investigation into his business dealings. The documents are protected by grand jury secrecy rules and are not expected to be made public.

Vance, a Democrat, is conducting a wide-ranging investigation that includes an examination of whether Trump or his businesses lied about the value of assets to gain favorable loan terms and tax benefits. The district attorney is also scrutinizing hush-money payments paid to women on Trump’s behalf.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

cool. maybe this is his signal of "if i am gonna dodge/modify the filibuster for voting, it should be bigger and better" but gently caress if i know.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ShoeFly posted:

Yeah that’s a fake screencap, the article doesn’t mention it at all.

Thank god

Again towards my unified theory that Republicans think movies are real:

quote:

A network of conservative activists, aided by a British former spy, mounted a campaign during the Trump administration to discredit perceived enemies of President Trump inside the government, according to documents and people involved in the operations.

The campaign included a planned sting operation against Mr. Trump’s national security adviser at the time, H.R. McMaster, and secret surveillance operations against F.B.I. employees, aimed at exposing anti-Trump sentiment in the bureau’s ranks.

The operations against the F.B.I., run by the conservative group Project Veritas, were conducted from a large home in the Georgetown section of Washington that rented for $10,000 per month. Female undercover operatives arranged dates with the F.B.I. employees with the aim of secretly recording them making disparaging comments about Mr. Trump.

The campaign shows the obsession that some of Mr. Trump’s allies had about a shadowy “deep state” trying to blunt his agenda — and the lengths that some were willing to go to try to purge the government of those believed to be disloyal to the president.

Central to the effort, according to interviews, was Richard Seddon, a former undercover British spy who was recruited in 2016 by the security contractor Erik Prince to train Project Veritas operatives to infiltrate trade unions, Democratic congressional campaigns and other targets. He ran field operations for Project Veritas until mid-2018.

Whether any of Mr. Trump’s White House advisers had direct knowledge of the campaign is unclear, but one of the participants in the operation against Mr. McMaster, Barbara Ledeen, said she was brought on by someone “with access to McMaster’s calendar.”

At the time, Ms. Ledeen was a staff member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, then led by Senator Charles E. Grassley, Republican of Iowa.

The scheme against Mr. McMaster, revealed in interviews and documents, was one of the most brazen operations of the campaign. It involved a plan to hire a woman armed with a hidden camera to capture Mr. McMaster making inappropriate remarks that his opponents could use as leverage to get him ousted as national security adviser.

Absolutely insane poo poo

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Nah colonial oil’s employees have always been a bunch of gossips. The CANSas email guy probably got just a tremendous amount of poo poo from everybody.

How many people are able to authorize a $5 million bitcoin transaction for the company, though?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Well it could also be "well you can't say I didn't support this" as he refuses to support an even weaker bill.

It's probably that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

so trump had his version of the Plumbers then?

Grouchio posted:

cool. my guess is the indictments and poo poo will come down around summer/mid terms next year.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Grouchio posted:

That article's dated February?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Grouchio posted:

Isn't this from February?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Grouchio posted:

That article is from February.

e: goddammit

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006
No one likes me, but by god I will hold posting grudges for years to get into the cool kids club. I've won title as a most ignored user! Please unignore me uWu
Smellrose

This reads as Manchin saying "we go at the king, we best not miss."

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I am waiting for my second shot, but I aint going to stop wearing a mask until businesses refuse me service because they think I'm going to rob them. If possible, ill probably wear 9ne in public the rest of my life.

Honestly hope masks become a standard fashion/article of clothing, but ain't holding my breath

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Black homeowner had a white friend stand in for third appraisal. Her home value doubled.

https://www.indystar.com/story/mone...ana/4936571001/

During the early months of the coronavirus pandemic last year, the first two appraisers who visited her home in the historic Flanner House Homes neighborhood, just west of downtown, valued it at $125,000 and $110,000, respectively.

But that third appraisal went differently.

To get that one, Duffy, who is African American, communicated with the appraiser strictly via email, stripped her home of all signs of her racial and cultural identity and had the white husband of a friend stand in for her during the appraiser's visit.

The home's new value: $259,000.

"I had to go through all of that just to say that I was right and that this is what's happening," she said. "This is real."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

World Famous W posted:

Honestly hope masks become a standard fashion/article of clothing, but ain't holding my breath

Dohohoho

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Jaxyon posted:

Well it could also be "well you can't say I didn't support this" as he refuses to support an even weaker bill.

It's probably that.

Well it's dual-pronged here actually, because the thing Manchin is explicitly backing is preclearance, which makes arbitrary changes harder going forward, but he hasn't said much about trying to roll back existing changes, which is what is most contentious

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The recent news is that the Manhattan DA's office just subpoenaed financial records of the school where Barry Weisselberg's grandchildren go to school. There's the suspiciin that the tuition payments were paid by Trump or the Trump Organization to the school, representing untamed compensation to Weisselberg.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/prosecutors-seek-cooperation-of-trump-confidante-subpoena-manhattan-private-school-11620921963

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:lol: :stonklol:

So uh, how much more insane poo poo was Trump doing we are just finding out about now?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Agents are GO! posted:

More like CANSas, amirite?

Were there additional pictures or not!!??

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

The Sean posted:

Black homeowner had a white friend stand in for third appraisal. Her home value doubled.

https://www.indystar.com/story/mone...ana/4936571001/

During the early months of the coronavirus pandemic last year, the first two appraisers who visited her home in the historic Flanner House Homes neighborhood, just west of downtown, valued it at $125,000 and $110,000, respectively.

But that third appraisal went differently.

To get that one, Duffy, who is African American, communicated with the appraiser strictly via email, stripped her home of all signs of her racial and cultural identity and had the white husband of a friend stand in for her during the appraiser's visit.

The home's new value: $259,000.

"I had to go through all of that just to say that I was right and that this is what's happening," she said. "This is real."

This happening in and around Indianapolis is just the least surprising thing to me. I have black relatives and in-laws in the area (who work in finance, natch) and racism is a constant, grinding presence in their lives despite middle-class careers and upbringings

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Uh, this is just the same preclearance thing he's said he supports for all 50 states, which wouldn't do anything to roll back laws already passed. Although I guess if he wants it (or is willing to accept it) as part of the HR1 bill it's good.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

of all the tea leaf reading gossip crap this sounds neat??

like why would chud FL even plan for something they can just tell blue state NY / the feds to gently caress off.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Youth Decay posted:

Uh, this is just the same preclearance thing he's said he supports for all 50 states, which wouldn't do anything to roll back laws already passed. Although I guess if he wants it (or is willing to accept it) as part of the HR1 bill it's good.

It's not. He's throwing his support behind the John Lewis Act, which more or less repairs the vandalism that Shelby did to the VRA but little more. This is separate from the For The People Act, which is a much more sweeping reform that does not directly address preclearance but would make it less relevant by enacting stronger direct federal control of elections.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

haveblue posted:

It's not. He's throwing his support behind the John Lewis Act, which more or less repairs the vandalism that Shelby did to the VRA but little more. This is separate from the For The People Act, which is a much more sweeping reform that does not directly address preclearance but would make it less relevant by enacting stronger direct federal control of elections.

Also nobody likes it

https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status/1392946517099655170

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
e;fb, you pricks
To be clear, this is just an explainer on yesterday's "50 state preclearance" news and nothing more. Ian's tweet and piece are, at best, misleading.

There are two main Democratic proposals. One, the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act, serves primarily to return to a pre-Shelby County regime of Fed intervention on voting rights while expanding the powers somewhat, particularly with adding new entries to the preclearance list. "Preclearance", in this case, is requiring states (or towns, counties, etc) to prove to the government that their proposed electoral changes will not, in intent or effect, impede the ability to vote. The other is the For The People Act, which consists of a wide range of voting reforms, gerrymandering rules, and a ton of other things.

Manchin said that he supports expanding the John Lewis Act to include the entire country under pre-clearance. This is, towards Ian's point, way more aggressive than anything Dems have ever proposed and goes well beyond where leadership is at right now. In terms of the John Lewis Act. For voting rights as a whole, it's important to note (as Ian eventually does in his piece) that Manchin is in effect proposing that instead of the For The People Act. So it is, in some ways, more aggressive. It is, in other ways, entirely passive.

It does not establish automatic, optout voter registration. It does not mandate expanded early voting. It does not prohibit Kemp-esque roll purges. It does not establish independent redistricting. It does not return the franchise to felons (though FTPA only goes partway). It doesn't fix the FEC. It doesn't bar congresscritters from using taxpayer-funded slush to settle harassment complaints.

I think nationwide preclearance would be amazing. I think it's extremely wrong to claim that Manchin's proposal is "really aggressive" or that it "goes well beyond" current proposals, given the shortcomings above. But the framing got engagement so :shrug:

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Mendrian posted:

From a few pages back but, unfortunately, you're wrong.

Maybe in deep red states.

Red states are specifically where I was talking about, but even limited to that extent I'm ready to withdraw the point as I'm not having much luck finding non-anecdotal evidence of mask compliance by region beyond where mask mandates exist or have expired.

e: to the extent anecdotes are useful, more than one business in my area had policies in place (as in, actual instructions from management), from the pandemic onset and throughout, to just shrug and ignore it if someone showed up without a mask. Plenty of people did. I saw someone permitted to continue going about their business at a local grocery store when they indicated they had covid. A friend was threatened by someone open carrying a firearm at a gas station that they'd better not wear one in that area. It wasn't at all uncommon for retail places to only require masks on when someone was interacting with a customer. The kind of hassle you are referencing would be unusual in my (very red) area, and avoided just by driving to a different store that didn't care. That's the sort of environment I was referencing. I'd actually love to find out that that's atypically terrible for even very red areas.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 13, 2021

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Paracaidas posted:

e;fb, you pricks

To be clear, this is just an explainer on yesterday's "50 state preclearance" news and nothing more. Ian's tweet and piece are, at best, misleading.

There are two main Democratic proposals. One, the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act, serves primarily to return to a pre-Shelby County regime of Fed intervention on voting rights while expanding the powers somewhat, particularly with adding new entries to the preclearance list. "Preclearance", in this case, is requiring states (or towns, counties, etc) to prove to the government that their proposed electoral changes will not, in intent or effect, impede the ability to vote. The other is the For The People Act, which consists of a wide range of voting reforms, gerrymandering rules, and a ton of other things.

Manchin said that he supports expanding the John Lewis Act to include the entire country under pre-clearance. This is, towards Ian's point, way more aggressive than anything Dems have ever proposed and goes well beyond where leadership is at right now. In terms of the John Lewis Act. For voting rights as a whole, it's important to note (as Ian eventually does in his piece) that Manchin is in effect proposing that instead of the For The People Act. So it is, in some ways, more aggressive. It is, in other ways, entirely passive.

It does not establish automatic, optout voter registration. It does not mandate expanded early voting. It does not prohibit Kemp-esque roll purges. It does not establish independent redistricting. It does not return the franchise to felons (though FTPA only goes partway). It doesn't fix the FEC. It doesn't bar congresscritters from using taxpayer-funded slush to settle harassment complaints.

I think nationwide preclearance would be amazing. I think it's extremely wrong to claim that Manchin's proposal is "really aggressive" or that it "goes well beyond" current proposals, given the shortcomings above. But the framing got engagement so :shrug:

Ugh. So, no chance of HR1 now? Ugh, I had hope for a bit that we could stop an upcoming fascist takeover via nuking gerrymandering. I hope I'm wrong.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Roluth posted:

Ugh. So, no chance of HR1 now? Ugh, I had hope for a bit that we could stop an upcoming fascist takeover via nuking gerrymandering. I hope I'm wrong.

HR1 is not dead. This is Manchin going around the media Manchin' it up like he did with the ARP. HR1 isn't dead until the senators vote and it (or filibuster reform) come up with fewer than 50.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

eviltastic posted:

I'm not having much luck finding non-anecdotal evidence of mask compliance by region beyond where mask mandates exist or have expired.

The IHME model has state level mask use data that's apparently based on a survey. I don't know anything about the survey though.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

haveblue posted:

HR1 is not dead. This is Manchin going around the media Manchin' it up like he did with the ARP. HR1 isn't dead until the senators vote and it (or filibuster reform) come up with fewer than 50.

I know Manchin is being his ~charming~ self, but I'm basically a single-issue HR1 voter right now after 1/6, and Manchin is playing games with the future of the democratic structure itself. I really wish we didn't have to rely on him.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

And I'm sure he'll have plenty to say about those mean old republicans when not a single one of them will vote for it and make its passage impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Oh serves me right. Still, would you consider his new stance at least an improvement?