Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sepist posted:

Okta is having an outage that has knocked out almost all of our internal and client facing services. This happens once a year, and once a year someone says "why don't we just replace okta with azure AD" which also has outages so if we ever did that the conversation would become "why dont we replace azure AD with okta"

It's almost always on US hours so thankfully we only get the long tail in CET, even the last huge AAD failure was done by 0730 local time so none of our users noticed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Internet Explorer posted:

???

Poly CCX 600 is usually around $400. Then add the wireless headset.
Yealink T57W, a bit over $180 in PoE form or a few bucks more if you need a wall wart. Personally I wouldn't actually go past the T54W, I like the hard line keys. Touch screen desk phones are stupid, but we sell these because some people just want the biggest shiniest screen.

We loved Polycom through the SPIP HD era but the VVXes gave us a lot of poo poo with BLF while Yealink T4 series just worked at half the cost, and now the T5s with their built-in WiFi and support for adding DECT handsets have allowed us to fill a lot of niches we had trouble with in the past.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

That I what I mean, if I am not mistaken even if you buy a Cisco VOIP Hardphone off of Ebay you'll still have to pay the cost to license it and attach it whatever management software.
Well, Cisco's gonna Cisco. In non-proprietary VoIP systems a softphone and a hardphone are just a SIP extension either way and do not have different costs associated with them.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
New job is a GSuite/Slack shop. Coming from decades of Outlook, Office, WebEx/Teams places this is soooooooooo nice. I never realized how much better it all is if you just switch browser tabs to change applications.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Bonzo posted:

New job is a GSuite/Slack shop. Coming from decades of Outlook, Office, WebEx/Teams places this is soooooooooo nice. I never realized how much better it all is if you just switch browser tabs to change applications.

This is a very confusing statement, considering all the microsoft things have web versions

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Meanwhile, until I can easily pin a specific web app to my task bar and have it be in a different grouping of apps than my browser, it's pretty much the only thing I dislike about using web apps. Even Chrome's pinned tabs thing doesn't stay consistently.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MF_James posted:

This is a very confusing statement, considering all the microsoft things have web versions

Not functional ones though...

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Yeah I would much rather use a few specific fat clients than pinned tabs, and tab and window management isn't close enough to perfect.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Meanwhile, until I can easily pin a specific web app to my task bar and have it be in a different grouping of apps than my browser, it's pretty much the only thing I dislike about using web apps. Even Chrome's pinned tabs thing doesn't stay consistently.

iOS has this feature (because Steve Jobs thought apps were stupid) and it's pretty great to pin a bookmark to the home screen and when you tap it there's no hint it's a web browser. It behaves just like an app and I really like it.

That's a long way for me to say :same: Let web apps be managed like apps.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I love my Polycom VVX400 speakerphone/Anveo and its BIG RED MUTE BUTTON and make dumbass MS Teams call back to it. :smugdog:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Anyone know a good PtP Wireless bridge? Need to cover about 150ft. Apparently running a cable is out of the question.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ubiquity has what you need :v:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Podima posted:

Not functional ones though...

This.

Basic functionality, sure. OWA cannot do all the things that the client can when you consider organizational tools and third party add-ons. Same with Teams.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Wibla posted:

Ubiquity has what you need :v:

They seem to be one of the only options. I feel like this project may be ill-advised.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

At the risk of dragging the Home Networking chat in here, I'll say that watching Ubiquiti make a number of short-lived and ill-fated forays into product categories outside of networking has made me really hesitant to invest in any of their products anymore - even their standard WiFi stuff.

But PtP has been part of their core portfolio for a while, so they likely are your best bet if you want something that you can set up and ignore for 10 years because it Just Works*.

*don't update the firmware

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For 150ft, use a Wireless Wire

https://mikrotik.com/product/wireless_wire

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

How do y'all manage subscriptions and poo poo you need to put in formal cancelation requests in for? I guess I'm looking for some sort of document\contract management system or ideas. We just had an issue where we were being charged annually for building security because the previous management never actually sent in a formal letter saying to cancel services when we moved buildings. A god drat nightmare this poo poo is. Same thing happened with Mitel equipment that was being "leased" even though we didn't have their service anymore.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Whoa, this exists??!?! This is awesome!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I used to use the ubiquity bullet m2 for projects like that. Screwed directly into whatever antenna you wanted to use.

E: they still make it - https://www.ui.com/airmax/bulletm/

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Is Ethernet over power still decent? I used that in my house for a while. Linksys as I recall.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Keyser_Soze posted:

I love my Polycom VVX400 speakerphone/Anveo and its BIG RED MUTE BUTTON and make dumbass MS Teams call back to it. :smugdog:

:hfive:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I did it. I put in my notice and I start the new job in 3 weeks. :yotj:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Did you get the slack administrator job that was posted here awhile back?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Defenestrategy posted:

Confluence admin/maintainer. RIP

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Defenestrategy posted:

No, but a man can dream.

Matt Zerella posted:

Confluence admin/maintainer. RIP

lol, wouldn't be the first time.

Bigger place than I've been in a while, slightly more specialized, further away from users, and thank god further away from the legal field.

Also like a 20% increase in comp, which is nice. Just seems excessive at this point.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 15, 2021

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Congrats!!!!

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
- woken up for oncall at 1 am
- back to sleep music result

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

No, but a man can dream.

lol, wouldn't be the first time.

Bigger place than I've been in a while, slightly more specialized, further away from users, and thank god further away from the legal field.

Also like a 20% increase in comp, which is nice. Just seems excessive at this point.

gently caress that, it's not excessive. Get paid. :10bux::10bux:

There's been a lot of :yotj: already, hopefully there will be a lot more. Seeing fellow posters move on to bigger, better, cooler things warms the cold dead cockles of my heart.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It's pretty cool seeing that 2021 is turning out to be a real gangbusters of a year professionally for a lot of people.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

yotj! yotj! yotj!
*bangs on desk*
YOTJ! YOTJ! YOTJ!

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

I’m finally getting recruiter traffic to my LinkedIn again after a few big updates. Got a lead on a DevOps position that I check a majority of the boxes for, and I’d get to work with Kubernetes, which is right up my alley.

I’m missing a few of the “required” and “nice to have” things they listed, so my goal for this week is to learn enough to be able to speak intelligently about it and market myself as a fast learner.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I need to confess this after 10 years of this thread. I write my sql in lowercase.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I’ve also recently installed gentoo.

Feels good to get this off my chest.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

jaegerx posted:

I need to confess this after 10 years of this thread. I write my sql in lowercase.
i too have a broken shift key, but that's nothing to be ashamed of-

jaegerx posted:

I’ve also recently installed gentoo.
oh dear

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004
Is gentoo still a source based distro?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I think they switched to ue4

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Whoops I accidentally uploaded a document with my salary information into a business calculus assignment. This is why I shouldn't do schoolwork on my work laptop I guess.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Oh, Confession Time? I'm in.

Almost all my *nix experience is in Ubuntu and I actively dislike RHEL.

WFH has been amazing because no one can see me frantically Googling during meetings.

I've only worn pants like a total of 9 hours in the past 3 months and I may never go back.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I have door pants so I don’t make delivery people nervous. I recommend it

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've worn shoes so little the past year the callouses on my feet faded and shoes feel like coffins now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

You have to do crossfit and eat paleo now